"We've caught up 8-9 points before"

Castia

I’m glad it’s Chelsea we’re chasing they look really poor lately.

Foxbatt

True. We must go for a win and if not a win at least a draw. If we win then we are level on points with Arsenal. It has to be match by match. I do not think beating Spurs is such a huge hurdle. Trust me they would be worried about us too. Especially the way we have been playing. No defence is going to love to see Martial and Rashford running at them. The pace alone is scary enough.
What Ole must do is not play Mata tomorrow against Spurs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have no margin for error. We need Chelsea to have an injury crisis.

-Supreme-

I think we should just focus on catching Arse first and then worry about Chelsea.
Why?

We are only 3 points behind Arsenal and there isn't any incentives by finishing 5th (instead of 6th) in the league.

izec

Highly unlikely we'll catch them. They seem to also be looking at strengthening more than usual in this transfer window. Should have sacked Jose earlier, he cost us too many points.

Womp

idiot
Arsenal was never the problem, it was Chelsea. They had a little slip but still seem to be quite consistent and are seemingly looking to strengthen their weak positions this window. 6 Points (assuming we even beat Spurs, which is a huge ask), is nothing to scoff at.

El Zoido

It’s not going to happen. We need to do as well as we can and prepare for next season, maybe have a cup run.

cyberman

I’m glad it’s Chelsea we’re chasing they look really poor lately.
Yeah, they're impotent in attack and have the dreaded Thursday / Sunday weeks coming up alongside a likely FA cup run if their easy draws continue.
I have no idea why catching them has been written off by so many.

AndyJ1985

Just can't see us catching Chelsea. Arsenal are as irrelevant as always, but Chelsea are actually a pretty good team. We'd need title winning form to catch up to and then overtake them.

RedorDead21

Yeah, they're impotent in attack and have the dreaded Thursday / Sunday weeks coming up alongside a likely FA cup run if their easy draws continue.
I have no idea why catching them has been written off by so many.
They'll likely buy a striker this month and fix that issue. If we lose tomorrow it's all over for me in terms of 4th. All about momentum and applying pressure for me.

Canagel

Just can't see us catching Chelsea. Arsenal are as irrelevant as always, but Chelsea are actually a pretty good team. We'd need title winning form to catch up to and then overtake them.
Why not? We're currently 9 points off with game in hand. Let's say we draw tomorrow that's 8 points .next week they play Arsenal let's say it's a draw and we win against Brighton . That's 6 points gap already - the most likeliest scenario. And still yet to play at OT.
they've also got to go Etihad and Anfield . The gap is very recoverable without title winning form.

cyberman

They'll likely buy a striker this month and fix that issue. If we lose tomorrow it's all over for me in terms of 4th. All about momentum and applying pressure for me.
Did Morata fix it? Or Giroud?
Chelsea have made some horrendous signings as of late and maybe we can reevaluate it if they do sign a big striker but there's no need to be so short sighted like this.
We cut their lead to us in half and they still have to go to OT, Anfield and Etihad.
Losing tomorrow is just three points.

Bestietom

I thought this was a really magical moment from Ole, in contrast to Mourinho's interview after Sevilla with his "I sit in this chair with Porto, Man United out, I sit in this chair with Real Madrid, Man United out" bollocks.

Both of them fully conscious of the past, but Ole's only thinking about the club and the standards it sets for itself, while Mourinho's only thinking himself and his stature in the game. Watching it back again that attitude from Mourinho really is uniquely self-centred.

But also Ole's perspective does feel unique. He's not thinking about his Manchester United or the players that are there now, it's just Manchester United, we came back against Arsenal in 2003, we can come back this time, it's nothing special.

Whatever happens I think we should appreciate how special it is to have someone with that affection for the club in that position.
Yes, but Ole could be given a little help by bringing in a top CB and maybe a winger this window. We have a great chance of getting into top 4 but we need a top CB to do this. IMO.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was always going to be a tough task.

I know Man. United have chased down these sort of leads before but correct me if I'm wrong but when Newcastle blew that infamous 12 point lead pretty sure Man. United had 2 games in hand? So you assume you win those spare games and then lead is down to 6 which is more manageable.

Problem here is if Man. United lose today which isn't the most outlandish prediction the gap to 4th will actually have increased to 9 rather than the 8 it was after you won at Cardiff and Chelsea had lost to Leicester.

You obviously should've sacked Mourinho in October when he started playing up. Leaving him in charge for nearly half the season has just created too much damage to your points total.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Chelsea look pretty average to me. We need to just take it game by game and see where we are come March. Chelsea will definitely drop points, they’re in 4th for a reason. If they were that good then they’d be challenging for the title.

Castia

Have you watched Man United this season? We look better than you!
Not lately you don’t, even we’ve scored more goals than you and we’ve been shite up until a month ago.

You started well but seem to be out of ideas whilst we have been terrible but finally seem to be getting it together. If you don’t get a striker we could catch you with a bit of luck.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not lately you don’t, even we’ve scored more goals than you and we’ve been shite up until a month ago.

You started well but seem to be out of ideas whilst we have been terrible but finally seem to be getting it together. If you don’t get a striker we could catch you with a bit of luck.
I can't disagree that you've looked better in your last 4 games. I guess we'll see today if your improved form is a real resurgence or you were just playing against a load of shite.

J_XO

I can't disagree that you've looked better in your last 4 games. I guess we'll see today if your improved form is a real resurgence or you were just playing against a load of shite.
Could argue that it's both. Under Jose, we'd have dropped a few points and played dull football.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

By law of averages though you'd imagine we'll be due a blip at some point, even if we don't regress to anywhere near what we were like under Mourinho.

That's why I think we'll struggle to get top four - we've improved massively but might have left ourselves with too much to do. Even though Chelsea aren't spectacular they're still etching out results and appear to have gotten through the worst of their bad form. If they continue being solid but unspectacular they'll be hard to catch.

prateik

Spurs are very much in this now.. They are just 1 point ahead of Chelsea.. If we think we can catch Chelsea, Spurs should be within range too..

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
"We've caught up 8-9 points before" is a more Manchester United thing to say than "I've won the league 3 times with Chelsea."

God bless Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

mu4c_20le

"We've caught up 8-9 points before" is a more Manchester United thing to say than "I've won the league 3 times with Chelsea."

God bless Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Yes! And it only took a few weeks, now chelsea are next

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spurs are very much in this now.. They are just 1 point ahead of Chelsea.. If we think we can catch Chelsea, Spurs should be within range too..
Especially if Kane is out for a while. If Son was still around they could probably deal with it, now I'm not so sure

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The nicest thing is the hope. I can hope without knowing I'll be instantly disappointed the minute I start watching us play.

OhGee

Hook set, drag adjusted, now we reel them in. Our target should be third, anything else is a bonus. That’s the United Way

Gasolin

On Monday, we will know if Spurs are going to lose both Kane and Sissoko on top of Son. In this case, given the lack of depth, I think they are going to implode and let us be 3rd.