"We've caught up 8-9 points before"

Zlatattack

Why? We are looking up now, so Chelsea is the team to overtake..I am not really looking at Arsenal anymore now
We're level on points against Arsenal. If they get a draw, we gain 2 points on both of them, putting distance between us and Chelsea whilst at the same time gaining points on Chelsea. Of course your way of looking at it is perfectly valid too. Hopefully now we are level, Arsenal will drop more points than us.

Lentwood

United fans are used to being in title races where 8/9 points is loads to make up on the team at the top of the league because by the nature of them being top, they don't lose very often!

We are talking about overtaking sides in 4th/5th place here who are much more vulnerable to patchy runs of form.

I think it's a case of win the games you would expect Utd to win and we'll sneak 4th

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
0-0 draw would be better surely?
Why are people actually worried about Arsenal? They have an average squad and are no match for us. Them beating Chelsea is much better for us than a draw. We need every point we can get on Chelsea.

If we do our job and win the next 4 then Arsenal would be blown away at that stage. They have City away and also travel to Huddersfield, the type of game Arsenal have been dropping points in for a good few years now. They also have an extra round of EL to go through which will derail the league preparations further.

worldinmotion66

Spurs are the team we'll catch, not Chelsea. The former have a thread bare squad that will fatigue badly while the latter will likely invest in one or two top additions this month. Arsenal have no depth at the back and seemingly no investment on the horizon, I think we'll finish above them now.

InfiniteBoredom

If we manage to beat Chelsea at OT I'd be quite confident of finishing above them.

What we need to do is focusing on one match at a time. No point doing all the heavy lifting to beat Spurs only to drop points to Brighton the next match. Take care of the teams we are supposed to beat first, then worry about our fellow top 4 competitors.

Eric's Seagull

the latter will likely invest in one or two top additions this month.
We just need to hope that for whatever reason Chelsea fail to get what targets they may be interested in this window. Even if they do get reinforcements just take each game at a time and if keep playing well I think we have a decent chance of catching them anyway in my opinion.

Andy_Cole

United fans are used to being in title races where 8/9 points is loads to make up on the team at the top of the league because by the nature of them being top, they don't lose very often!

We are talking about overtaking sides in 4th/5th place here who are much more vulnerable to patchy runs of form.

I think it's a case of win the games you would expect Utd to win and we'll sneak 4th
Thinking the same!

Andersons Dietician

Gutted if not for the slip up that was bound to happen eventually we could have been tied on points for 4th right now. Chelsea look as if they are in free fall so hopefully we’ll overtake them but now there is very little room for error. Think we’ve got some really tough fixtures coming up to boot sandwiched around the PSG game.

Ouch PSG, Chelsea (Fa Cup), Liverpool

PSG. Arsenal, City

Member 113277

Gutted if not for the slip up that was bound to happen eventually we could have been tied on points for 4th right now. Chelsea look as if they are in free fall so hopefully we’ll overtake them but now there is very little room for error. Think we’ve got some really tough fixtures coming up to boot sandwiched around the PSG game.

Ouch PSG, Chelsea (Fa Cup), Liverpool

PSG. Arsenal, City
I understand why you feel gutted, as it's human nature to value things we didn't get more than things we did. (I feel the same way as you).

Taking a step back and being a little analytical, our EPL results since Ole Gunnar took over have been W W W W W W D, which is championship winning form and would be very likely to take us to the top four, if maintained.

From more years that I care to think about watching football, there are some factors to add into the mix

- wintry conditions add a random factor (e.g. high winds, sodden grounds)
- players picking up injuries
- players getting jaded as the season progresses
- morale/motivation - look at Burnley a few games ago, they were a rabble, but have now turned in some good results and were effective against us. Teams finding/losing form can have a big impact on the PL - Chelsea are currently on a downer, Arsenal were and easy games against mid-lower teams can become harder and vice versa
- 3 point wins make for swift changes in fortune, e.g. we went from 26 to 44 points in six games

I believe top 4 is potentially on, but there are too many variables to say much more - just a thought, as the league stands today, we need five more wins and a draw to avoid the mathematical possibility relegation!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegan

Supports
Veganism
Wish we had bought a midfielder or two in the January window. We don’t have strength in depth in midfield. Numbers yes, but quality? It’s clear Ole doesn’t trust Fred and who can blame him?!

Can the likes of Garner and Gomes play as a 8 or a 6?

TheRedHearted

Wish we had bought a midfielder or two in the January window. We don’t have strength in depth in midfield. Numbers yes, but quality? It’s clear Ole doesn’t trust Fred and who can blame him?!

Can the likes of Garner and Gomes play as a 8 or a 6?
A midfielder or a winger. Chelsea got their striker and I think off loading Fellaini at this time (with little Cover for Herrera or Matic was the wrong move

A midfielder or a winger. Chelsea got their striker and I think off loading Fellaini at this time (with little Cover for Herrera or Matic was the wrong move
I don't think so - he clearly doesnt suit Ole's style of play. So it would make no sense in having him in the team if he doesn't suit the style.

City and Liverpool wouldn't use him as a squad option becasue he doesn't suit their style. It's the same situation for us now.

0le

How does Fellaini offer cover for those players? He is not a defensive midfielder nor has he got the stamina to do what Herrera does.

TheRedHearted

I don't think so - he clearly doesnt suit Ole's style of play. So it would make no sense in having him in the team if he doesn't suit the style.

City and Liverpool wouldn't use him as a squad option becasue he doesn't suit their style. It's the same situation for us now.
I feel we’re lack of players at the moment though.

How does Fellaini offer cover for those players? He is not a defensive midfielder nor has he got the stamina to do what Herrera does.
He doesn’t have the stamina Herrera does but his press is pretty dominant and he puts a lot of pressure in midfield. I’m one to believe that if Herrera needs a sub Fellaini was the one to replace him. I believe Mctominay should be replacing Matic towards the end but Fellaini really could have been an option there.

I know he doesn’t fit, but if Matic or Herrera gets injured who fills in there? Then if we need to rotate the replacement (Fred or Mctominay) who goes in? I do think Lingard can be an option in midfield but then who plays RW?

I just feel we need more options and with the amount of games we have Fellaini can do a job, even if it’s just as a sub

manunited1919

I just feel we need more options and with the amount of games we have Fellaini can do a job, even if it’s just as a sub
Even if true he is gone. If we get an injury someone will step up and play out of their skin in midfield. SAF used to play Phil Jones as a midfielder, I’m sure Phelan and OLG will remember that. And frankly, I would rather see Phil Jones in midfield than in the heart of our defense.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well he doesn’t play for us anymore so he can’t, but we have no depth in midfield and it’s pretty worrying for the club. No depth on the wing, no depth in midfield. Many games to play
Did we not want our youth products to have a shot? I'd rather do that than bring in some random signing. We should try only sign nailed on starters.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Even if true he is gone. If we get an injury someone will step up and play out of their skin in midfield. SAF used to play Phil Jones as a midfielder, I’m sure Phelan and OLG will remember that. And frankly, I would rather see Phil Jones in midfield than in the heart of our defense.
This is actually an interesting idea. I'd be worried about his composure, but he could be a good alternative to Herrera, high energy, in players faces and at least fouls wouldn't lead to pens! And cock ups wouldn't lead directly to goals.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He was atrocious in midfield, only worked a few times as a spare wheel/man-marking DM where his lack of positional sense didn't get exposed. I.e. you could try him as an alternative to Herrera on Hazard, but not Herrera in pretty much every other game.

manunited1919

He was atrocious in midfield, only worked a few times as a spare wheel/man-marking DM where his lack of positional sense didn't get exposed. I.e. you could try him as an alternative to Herrera on Hazard, but not Herrera in pretty much every other game.
Maybe he was atrocious, but I still would rather see him in our midfield than in the heart of our defense.

Andersons Dietician

So all going to script we should be 1 point clear in 4th by Sunday evening, then Liverpool on the 24th after games against PSG and Chelsea.

MAME DIOUF 32

If Ole can nab 4th and stop Liverpool winning the league I think I'd love him more than I do my mother

ChaddyP

I certainly think there would be no harm playing him against Fulham to give Matic a rest.
Makes me wonder why he never makes the match day squad. Its either Fred or Andreas. It would be great if someone could come in for Matic even at the 60 min mark

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Makes me wonder why he never makes the match day squad. Its either Fred or Andreas. It would be great if someone could come in for Matic even at the 60 min mark
I reckon it's cause they've more experience, Fred and Pereira are similar kinds of midfielders so it'd make more sense to exclude one of them in favour of McTominay every now and again.

ChaddyP

I reckon it's cause they've more experience, Fred and Pereira are similar kinds of midfielders so it'd make more sense to exclude one of them in favour of McTominay every now and again.
I would argue that mctominay has more PL experience than both of them combined

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yet for a their experience. He has always perfomed better than either of them in a deep midfield role. And we need to give Matic a rest soon.

RedRotorhead

With current squad and looking at the matches ahead it's not easy to rest anyone from midfield and down.

Next season.

dmode

I believe... anyway I am sure we will give it a good fight.

Our advantage is that we're picking up at the right time, whereas some higher teams are seemingly loosing the plot!

I believe in Manchester United. :devil:

drmuji

I really think Chelsea would drop more points than us. They don't have an attacking flair plus manager is doing exactly what Mourinho did with us (i-e) blaming the players for the failures. Plus they have to play us at home, something I suddenly am feeling more confident about. Against city , I don't fancy our chances. Liverpool , realistically I would gladly take 1. But I certainly do think we can get 3 against arsenal and Chelsea .

ChaddyP

Amazing how we have reached here in February !!! Don't even think ole thought that possible

Utd7

I think we were 11 points off 4th after the Liverpool match? Now we’re currently in fourth and I’ll take my chances that Chelsea drop points against City tomorrow