WFA Cup R4 | Brighton Women V United | United win 0-2

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Our first Women's FA Cup match is coming up.

Brighton are in their first season in WSL1, and are currently 9th (of 11 teams) with 8 points from 13 games and a GD of -19. In other words, we'll expect to be a match for them, but we're in with a good chance of going through.

Oddly enough the match is being played at a stadium in Crawley, because Brighton are another club who play 20+ miles from home. Later in the afternoon Crawley Wasps will be playing Arsenal (our WSL Cup SF opponents) - which looks like an easier, and certainly a closer to home, trip for them.

Brighton are managed by Hope Powell. She was the first woman to get the UEFA Pro coaching qualification and was England women's manager from 1998-2013. That means she was the manager who gave Casey Stoney her international debut and subsequently made her team captain.

RedPamie

Well done team. Followed from twitter updates, it seems like a cagey match, with Lauren James substitution tipped it to our side. She's so young and wonderful and all and I hope she plays with us for a long time...
But kinda worried we depend on her way too much?

Anyway great that Siobhan Chamberlain saved a pen... that's definite pen I think. Amy misjudged it. But having an experienced keeper is a plus.

On to Arsenal game!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Well done team. Followed from twitter updates, it seems like a cagey match, with Lauren James substitution tipped it to our side. She's so young and wonderful and all and I hope she plays with us for a long time...
But kinda worried we depend on her way too much?

Anyway great that Siobhan Chamberlain saved a pen... that's definite pen I think. Amy misjudged it. But having an experienced keeper is a plus.

On to Arsenal game!
Lauren's second goal there is wonderful in the context of the game. They're in the closing minutes of the game and United are running the clock down. It looks like Lauren is heading to waste a bit of time near the corner flag. Suddenly she sees a gap, turns round and is straight through on goal. Just lovely!

Are we too dependent on her? Not in WSL2, but she's got that extra wow factor we'll need in WSL1. I wouldn't be surprised if we recruit another forward for next season - but hopefully our other youngsters are going to be ready as well.

That said: fingers crossed that we can keep Lauren James - she's a really special young player.

Grande

Lauren's second goal there is wonderful in the context of the game. They're in the closing minutes of the game and United are running the clock down. It looks like Lauren is heading to waste a bit of time near the corner flag. Suddenly she sees a gap, turns round and is straight through on goal. Just lovely!

Are we too dependent on her? Not in WSL2, but she's got that extra wow factor we'll need in WSL1. I wouldn't be surprised if we recruit another forward for next season - but hopefully our other youngsters are going to be ready as well.

That said: fingers crossed that we can keep Lauren James - she's a really special young player.
Terrible defensive play from clearly exhausted defenders, but a fantastic display of strength, technique and calmness by Baby James there for the second. Katie Zelem (isn’t it?) cool pass behind the defence for 1-0 is also brilliant!