What’s the better feeling?

DVG7

In a game against your biggest rivals, which option would you choose.

1. A dominating first half display where you end up 3 or 4 goals up, out of sight and the second half is a formality

2. a below average performance where the other team is better and have more chances, but you nick a last minute winner.

I’d go for number 2, but a friend said he would prefer to be sure of a result than have the nerves rattling right to the end.

Green_Red

Depends on the context.

Watching United smash Arsenal 8-2 or Roma 7-1 was quality, but watching United win 2-1 in extra time in the 99 CL final pisses all over it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They're both great in their own way, a mix of both throughout a season is huge fun. I would say in terms of pure joy and satisfaction not just when it's happening, but in the minutes, days and even years after it's over United going toe to toe with another great team in a nerve-shredding low-scoring match and coming out on top cannot be beaten.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Always the second one. That last bit of desperation and the relief after the goal is just pure euphoric.

Sweet Square

You want for the majority of the time to be destroying teams week in week out because constantly watching boring football is well.......boring. But there isn't a better feeling that playing dog shit for 90 mins in a cup final to then go on and score a last minute winner.

Alfie092

Rather wipe the floor of an opponent in the first half and know the result is secured but the feeling of a "smash and grab" win is greater!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I particularly enjoyed the game against Chelsea because I'm petty. But in general I will want a great performance and a well deserved win.

Josep Dowling

Has to be the second one for me. As much as I hate watching us be dominated in games, I can remember a few games at Anfield where we got a last minute winner. It’s a lot sweeter to do it that way.

DVG7

Has to be the second one for me. As much as I hate watching us be dominated in games, I can remember a few games at Anfield where we got a last minute winner. It’s a lot sweeter to do it that way.
yep the O’Shea one springs to mind.

SATA

O’Shea’s last minute winner at the dippers was a thoroughly great feeling where we were outplayed in large parts of the game

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I know this game. Here's my take:

1 - For each time you sad the word "Yes", a very painful hemorrhoid tennis ball size would suddenly show up and it is a cumulative thing for every time you say "Yes". In order to cure this, you had to attend games at Anfield Road and celebrate like a Liverpool fan, singing Y N W A, cheering Graeme Souness if he's in the press tribune, etc, until gradually the hemorrhoids will cure themselves.
2 - You have to join a reality show (Secret Story, etc). Your mission is to train one of the contestants until he wins an important literacy prize. For every month this goal failed, you had to make unprotected sex with a random contestant.

Which one would you go?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Under SAF we had more than few number two type matches, but we also had Tevez or legendary John O'Shea. Feeling good was stronger and I had so much better whole week.

Number one is still way to go in terms of football matters. Steady 2nd half when players are conserving stamina for next match, no injuries, lots of relaxing moments, sometimes even having fun with the ball like Ronnie and Nani performed many times.

Siorac

I know this game. Here's my take:

1 - For each time you sad the word "Yes", a very painful hemorrhoid tennis ball size would suddenly show up and it is a cumulative thing for every time you say "Yes". In order to cure this, you had to attend games at Anfield Road and celebrate like a Liverpool fan, singing Y N W A, cheering Graeme Souness if he's in the press tribune, etc, until gradually the hemorrhoids will cure themselves.
2 - You have to join a reality show (Secret Story, etc). Your mission is to train one of the contestants until he wins an important literacy prize. For every month this goal failed, you had to make unprotected sex with a random contestant.

Which one would you go?
Number one, easily. Partly because there are plenty of words in English to indicate assent other than "yes", and partly because I don't live in an English-speaking country hence I rarely actually SAY the word.

Judas

Open to offers
Really not sure, in terms of pure adrenaline rush, the late robbery is amazing, but completely outclassing a rival is obviously massively satisfying. But I suppose if I think about pure emotion, the feeling you get with a last minute goal, when it's underserved, is special.

You'd rather be thrashing your rivals and outclassing them the majority of the time though, better sign that you're in good shape as a team.

O’Shea’s last minute winner at the dippers was a thoroughly great feeling where we were outplayed in large parts of the game
It's the example I always think of for a daylight robbery. The glee I felt, and for it to be O'Shea of all people made it even sweeter, never forget it.

Siorac

Oh, and for the original question: I'd prefer a clearly dominant win. A close second would be a game in which we outplay our opponent all game long, miss everything, and then amid mounting frustration and worry, we score a last-second goal. That's a lot better than nicking a last-second goal after playing shite.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Number one, easily. Partly because there are plenty of words in English to indicate assent other than "yes", and partly because I don't live in an English-speaking country hence I rarely actually SAY the word.
Damn it. Forgot to add "Yes in all languages". Fail.

DVG7

Oh, and for the original question: I'd prefer a clearly dominant win. A close second would be a game in which we outplay our opponent all game long, miss everything, and then amid mounting frustration and worry, we score a last-second goal. That's a lot better than nicking a last-second goal after playing shite.
I think the gravity of the game being played matters too. Celtic got hammered in the Scottish league cup final by rangers, and won 1-0 thanks to a clearly offside goal. A lot of their fans felt that was more enjoyable, because you get all the elation plus the pure bitterness of rival fans who know they deserved more but came out with sweet FA

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
No. 1 settle the nerves early on you can enjoy the second half.

no 2 is good as well but not so much enjoyment during the match.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Late winner for sure. Our Aguero moment will forever be remembered as a key one in PL history. If we'd won that game 4-0 by halftime it wouldn't have been quite the same.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Late winner for sure. Our Aguero moment will forever be remembered as a key one in PL history. If we'd won that game 4-0 by halftime it wouldn't have been quite the same.
You consider QPR your biggest rivals? Makes sense I suppose, you're about as big as each other.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Late winner. Chadli's goal against Japan, the ensuing moments and the party after the game will stick with me forever whereas it'd be "just another game" had we been up 3-0 at HT.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Doesn't science suggest the second. The sweet feeling of anticipation and subsequent hope of scoring builds mountains of dopamine which when released has the force of a thousand volcanos.

I'm not a scientist by the way.

nycender

A soul crushing defeat where they grasp defeat from the jaws of victory is always the best. 1-1 where they hit the woodwork and we counter to make it 2-1 in the 94th at the Kop end :)

padr81

Supports
Man City
You consider QPR your biggest rivals? Makes sense I suppose, you're about as big as each other.
My hatred of Joey Barton makes wherever he is my biggest rival for sure. I even hated my own club when he was there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Number 2 is good for one off situations but if you keep doing it results eventually catch up with you big time.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
With United I find myself thinking 5 games ahead. Is what I watched today a good indicator of how well they will do in the next 5 games? If no - ie option 2 - then I would be relatively disappointed compared to option 1. If all our 'star' players are out injured and we manage to nick it with option 2 I would love it as it shows me a powerful core to the team. A sign of solidarity that will only get better when supplemented with our quality players. Compare it to us being at 'full strength' and still looking dogshite nicking a Mourinho type winner. That happiness is not sustainable