What’s the dilemma with Donny’s playing time & Ole?

thedvil

Is this a real quote?

Is OGS publicly trolling Donny now?

stevoc

I hate the man for putting his personal favorites on at the expense of other options, especially when those favorites are fecking us up hard. It has been the same problem under LVG and Jose as well. If meritocracy is actually a thing under a serious manager, it would not be difficult to think that Fred and McTominay would be the ones making cameos at best instead of starting matches these days. I don't know what Ole owes to the jokers known s McFred, but meritocracy would have seen them spending more time on the bench than they did by now.

There are 3 criteria for a Manchester United manager is expected to do: WIN, play attractive football, and promote youth. As far as everyone is concerned, he's not doing any of the three items to satisfactory levels this far. The closest parallel I can make with Ole's management of Donny is Moyes' (hate the cnut) treatment of Shinji Kagawa, of whom Fergie knew perfectly how to use.
Interesting take.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

:(
I’d love to know what Pogba was saying there. Difficult to lip read but does anyone else see “why can’t he play? Why can’t he play?” from Pogba towards the end?

clarkydaz

I’d love to know what Pogba was saying there. Difficult to lip read but does anyone else see “why can’t he play? Why can’t he play?” from Pogba towards the end?
could be, cant remember how long Pogba was taken off before that, but he wasnt happy anyway. At the end when ole is beaming hugging the players he pats Pogba on the head who barely looks at him

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
could be, cant remember how long Pogba was taken off before that, but he wasnt happy anyway. At the end when ole is beaming hugging the players he pats Pogba on the head who barely looks at him
Yeah I noticed that too.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Hopefully Donny lives up to expectations because the Cafe has turned him into saviour adjacent.
haven’t turned him into anything, just vouching that he gets a fair shot is all

Like cmon, we bought a national player and even got him phased out of that because no one knows his levels anymore due to not being played. That’s pretty gutless and low especially coming from a class club like United. Woeful handling and even after he’s been given assurances he’ll play, he still hasn’t. There’s no defending that really.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Not true at all. People questioning why he cannot be given a fair run of matches that is all, specifcially when you look at who is playing in front of him.
I’ve said this a million times but matches are like 2% of the time coaches get to see players. If Donny isn’t impressing in training and Ole and his assistants don’t feel like they can trust him, why would they persist with him and give him a run of matches? “Just to be fair”? Fair on who? It’s not fair on those he is playing ahead of, it’s not fair on the rest of the team who have to play with him and it’s not fair on the fans who expect results.

My criticism of Ole is not that he’s not playing him, it’s that he blocked his move.

red4ever 79

I’ve said this a million times but matches are like 2% of the time coaches get to see players. If Donny isn’t impressing in training and Ole and his assistants don’t feel like they can trust him, why would they persist with him and give him a run of matches? “Just to be fair”? Fair on who? It’s not fair on those he is playing ahead of, it’s not fair on the rest of the team who have to play with him and it’s not fair on the fans who expect results.

My criticism of Ole is not that he’s not playing him, it’s that he blocked his move.
Agree with you there on that part. Ridiculous decision. Dont necessairly agree with other parts. I think Donny has looked decent on the rare opportunity he has been given. However, as he has never had a run of games to try to find some understanding with his team mates, or some rhythm then its difficut to judge. Poorly handled situation whatever side of the fence you sit on.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
haven’t turned him into anything, just vouching that he gets a fair shot is all

Like cmon, we bought a national player and even got him phased out of that because no one knows his levels anymore due to not being played. That’s pretty gutless and low especially coming from a class club like United. Woeful handling and even after he’s been given assurances he’ll play, he still hasn’t. There’s no defending that really.
Not true at all. People questioning why he cannot be given a fair run of matches that is all, specifcially when you look at who is playing in front of him.
The energy around Donny feels different to me, it's subjective of course. I hope he makes a difference.

Kag

Van de Beek was better in his last match against West Ham but the reality is that we lost the game and he didn’t really do much to affect the outcome.

He’s right to be frustrated (I’d be worried if he wasn’t) but I’m not really sure he’s made a case to start. It’s a bit of vicious circle, really.

HailtotheKing

Fair enough but surely how players perform in a match is more important than training? Fred has been terrible at the beginning of the season and McTominay has been beyond bad since coming back. Donny did really well with Matic in the West Ham game. So based on that, surely either Matic or Donny should've played? But no, let's go with the players that on form have stunk the place out. Thus sending the message, it doesn't matter how you play, I'll still pick you. And conversely, whatever you do in training or second games, you're not getting in. Brilliant motivation there, Ole. I sense a storm is coming. And I'm not talking about how we're playing, I'm talking disharmony in the squad. Pogba, Ronaldo, Donny.

peridigm

At his point, Ole should just chuck him in the starting lineup match after match, give him a run of 6-8 games to see what he can do. Fans can't hate him anymore than they already do if it fails and it won't be the reason he's sacked.
Don't see Ole being sacked anyway so it's moot.

So sick of Fred. Starting to doubt he's even Brazilian.

AneRu

Van de Beek was better in his last match against West Ham but the reality is that we lost the game and he didn’t really do much to affect the outcome.

He’s right to be frustrated (I’d be worried if he wasn’t) but I’m not really sure he’s made a case to start. It’s a bit of vicious circle, really.
And who has? Fred, Scot? The reason why it's such a scandal and becoming a stick to beat Ole with is the blatant favoritism on display. He gives Fred a longer leash and this leash proceeds to cost us points but Van De Beek has put on match winning performances just to get a chance? Why not hold the players to the same standard?

abailey123

He didn’t help himself against West Ham being at fault for the goal. He demonstrated a complete lack of awareness, left his man followed the ball and his man scored

The Purley King

Fred was genuinely atrocious today.
Not only the Everton goal but he gave the ball away needlessly numerous times.
If vdb can’t get in ahead of him then He may as well go somewhere else.
Maybe if ole rightfully gets the boot and we get ten Haag then he’ll get a chance.

croadyman

He's gone in January and we never will get to see what he could do under someone who can actually coach players

degea1999

Donny is like Shinji Kagawa and Zaha under David Moyes, the more the fans demand the managers to play them, the more the managers hate these players and try their best to freeze them out

Ixion

I don't even think Donny would solve our problems and would likely need an extended period starting to really shine but since Ole refused to let him go anywhere with no intention of playing him it feels like a shitty thing to do so I want to see him get some game time. Just seems like poor man management to me of Ole's own making.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
If we had an undroppable midfielder pair I'd understand but it's a shambles that he's not getting a chance. It's oles system and his style that's incapable of accommodating a player like DVdB.
It's a disgrace he won't even try something different

YouknowNani

I don't actually think Donny's looked particularly good when he's had a chance to play but he certainly can't be any worse than Fred and Mctomminay currently and who knows how good he could be with a run of games and some confidence. If he's not going to get games now, when our midfield is utterly woeful, then when is he going to play? He deserves a run of games alongside Matic at CM.

If Ole plays McFred in our next game, the guy seriously needs his head tested. I don't mind one of them playing to add legs and 'desire', but both together doesn't work,. Neither of them can defend, they simply run around a lot.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Donny wont get the chance under Ole. It would be better for both sides if he was allowed to leave.
Hopefully he takes Ole with him.

FahadiHossein

I don't actually think Donny's looked particularly good when he's had a chance to play but he certainly can't be any worse than Fred and Mctomminay currently and who knows how good he could be with a run of games and some confidence. If he's not going to get games now, when our midfield is utterly woeful, then when is he going to play? He deserves a run of games alongside Matic at CM.

If Ole plays McFred in our next game, the guy seriously needs his head tested. I don't mind one of them playing to add legs and 'desire', but both together doesn't work,. Neither of them can defend, they simply run around a lot.
He won't get a chance next month, because we are going up against the better teams. He will get a chance if we play against Norwich, Burnley, or lower league teams in the FA Cup. But not enough.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
What does does Fred have to do for Donny to get a game? I mean i know Donny hasn't been excellent by any stretch of the imagination, but Fred has been single handedly costing us points this season, yet he is always involved and often starting.

Hughie77

You either sell him, or bring in a CM to compliment his quality, this manager won't do the later imo, he's hell bent on 2 DM or similar, Fred has to many cock ups in his game, which cost us in games way to often. Now if DVB can get a more aggressive and anticipate the play better , he can get into the side. Pluses of him he's a great passer, but in the Premier league, players need more than a pass.

The way UTD are playing, they need a player who can Just put out fires all over the pitch, when teams counter on us. ALL games so far teams have got there chances from Counters or set pieces. No DVB has no future at UTD who decided to buy him I don't know. I don't think Ole wanted Ronny back either.