What’s the dilemma with Donny’s playing time & Ole?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He just isnt good enough. Why cant some of you see that? Its Cleverley mark 2.
He cant beat a man on the dribble (like Cleverley)
He isnt very quick off the mark (like Cleverley)
He doesnt have that magic something (like Cleverley)
We shouldnt have bought him, its not fair on the player, Ole should have let him go in the last transfer window and has done Donny the dirty.

But ultimately he just isnt good enough.

sammyhol

Is this not pretty straight forward…

he doesn’t trust VDB postionally, or physically to play as a lone 6, or in double pivot… (something I kinda agree with)

which means he is competing for one of the spaces behind the front man with Pogba, Bruno, and the wide men…a queue he is pretty low down…

with the midfielders we have, we simply cant play a single pivot… Matic is the only viable candidate, and doesn’t have the legs, especially not with Bruno and Pogba as the 8’s.

so we have to play 4231.

Matic is the only 6 we have who can actually get on the ball and play line splitting, whilst having the positional nouse needed. Should be playing more, but mad we haven’t signed a replacement.

alongside him you play a pressing,ball winning box to box 8 (Fred, Scott) or( VDB or Pogba at a push)

then play a 10 (Bruno)

simples

JPB

This guy is Dalot 2.0 people asking for him to play in big games and if he eventually gets a chance you'll see why his place is on the bench.

Real Name

I`ve never seen him play as bad as Mctominay did today, and Freds average performance this year has been worse as well. Im not saying VDB has been awesome, but at worse his been average. A couple games he has been MOTM as well.
When was he motm?

RetroStu

It's not that hard to understand im jokingly talking to myself in the past when I for some reason wrote it like that but can't remember the rationale, my OCD now doesn't like it.
Probably best to quit while you're behind. No one is falling for it. :lol:

BoulderDevil

Sometimes I feel like we could actually play him WITH Pogba in a midfield 3 with matic in behind. I don’t think we need Bruno for every game. It’s a good mix of ball renting and you still have Pogba to create with his passing. Ole will ever try this though

GMoore23

Reminds me of SAF putting the Da Silva twins in midfield ahead of giving Pogba a chance and numerous other examples of him being over looked.
Pogba was an unproven youth player, VDB's in his prime and cost a lot of money. Fergie would have used him.

If I was VDB I'd be beyond consolable now.

Presto

Throwing gum at the coach and having fits? Hardly, seems a bit childish. I remember when we got him and there were messages and take good care of him-notes, like he was some kid traveling alone on a plane for the first time. That’s when I knew this was never going to pan out, a bit weird all that. I have nothing against van de Beek, but I also have no sympathy for footballers, their mental strength is very important to succeed and it seems he doesn’t have it, or «it».
If anyone can still keep calm after having been treated like that, it's abnormal

giggs-beckham

Clueless
What's funny is you guys not getting what I was doing when referencing the past and present in a post one minute after the first. Real mind bender that one was eh.
Why would anyone have 2 accounts? It must be common for that bit of observational comedy to work I dunno.

Lebowski

It's a weird mood at the moment with people going completely over the top about Donny and absolutely slating Ole.

I hope he gets an extended run in the side before he's sold so we can see if he's good enough to provide what we're lacking in midfield, but it's not like he's been pulling up trees in the chances he's been given so far.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feel bad for him. I don't think he's anything special, but he and his agent had a talk with Ole and clearly got a different answer to what's happened. Which means Ole pretty much lied to him. I can't blame Ole for not picking him, but you have to be honest with someone who wants regular football what their chances of it are.

RetroStu

He just isnt good enough. Why cant some of you see that? Its Cleverley mark 2.
He cant beat a man on the dribble (like Cleverley)
He isnt very quick off the mark (like Cleverley)
He doesnt have that magic something (like Cleverley)
We shouldnt have bought him, its not fair on the player, Ole should have let him go in the last transfer window and has done Donny the dirty.

But ultimately he just isnt good enough.
People just want to see him given a run of games, given a chance. If he doesnt take that chance then so be it.
Its not like we have Xavi and Iniesta ahead of him, we have Fred, Matic, and McTom.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He’s not good enough to start and he’s not a game-changer. It’s really as simple as that.
If it's that simple, why hasn't he been allowed to leave? Better to recoup some of the funds we spent than letting an asset go to waste and lose value.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Feel bad for him. I don't think he's anything special, but he and his agent had a talk with Ole and clearly got a different answer to what's happened. Which means Ole pretty much lied to him. I can't blame Ole for not picking him, but you have to be honest with someone who wants regular football what their chances of it are.
Or Ole said to him prove yourself in training and you’ll get your chance, and he hasn’t proved himself in training.

If anyone can still keep calm after having been treated like that, it's abnormal
Donny and his agent were given assurances in summer he'd get plenty of game time. He's been very professional - but if things carry on he needs to force a move in January for his own career and world cup hopes.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If it's that simple, why hasn't he been allowed to leave? Better to recoup some of the funds we spent than letting an asset go to waste and lose value.
Because no one wanted to buy him, only loan him, which meant we couldn't get in a replacement.

Had Everton wanted to pay money for him I'm sure he'd be gone.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
If it's that simple, why hasn't he been allowed to leave?
Have you seen the reactions when we were behind tonight? People want the manager's head on a stick after every shit result. Which leads to a pressure so ridiculously high, creating a situation where managers would rather stack their squad with Lingard's and VdB's than take the risk of letting them go and not having enough quality players available for every single match.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Should have let him go in the summer. Ole does not seem to know how to work with intelligent players or players that pass and move instead of just running. I fear for Sancho a little bit tbh because he’s similar. He won’t be frozen out cause he’s a 75m player. But I don’t expect Ole to get the best out of him.
I had the same thought today. Ole will probably just pick direct players which are more likely to produce a moment odf magic, because players like van de Beek and Sancho are not so effective in isolation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Or Ole said to him prove yourself in training and you’ll get your chance, and he hasn’t proved himself in training.
We can only go off of how they do on the pitch and tbf he was one of the only decent players vs West Ham in the cup, but no more of that means he likely won't get any games. I doubt it's a training thing, I think Ole just doesn't rate him that much. Which is fine, I don't either, but why tell him he'll be used and then proceed to not use him? It's scummy.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We can only go off of how they do on the pitch and tbf he was one of the only decent players vs West Ham in the cup, but no more of that means he likely won't get any games. I doubt it's a training thing, I think Ole just doesn't rate him that much. Which is fine, I don't either, but why tell him he'll be used and then proceed to not use him? It's scummy.
It’s only a few games into the season, lots of games to be played yet.
maybe coming in at 85mins when we needed a goal was not the right time to bring him on, as it turned out, Ole made the right call.

perhaps the plan was league cup games, now it may be fa cup games. Hardly scummy.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not good enough which is fine, but why didn't Ole just let him go to Everton in the summer? He needs that club to realize he's not good enough there either then move to the bundesliga and then back to Ajax.

Stack

People just want to see him given a run of games, given a chance. If he doesnt take that chance then so be it.
Its not like we have Xavi and Iniesta ahead of him, we have Fred, Matic, and McTom.
There is nothing in the time he has had on the pitch for us that shows he can beat a man on the dribble, that he can accelerate quickly with the ball, that he can do any more than make 1-2 passes or pass sideways. He hasnt shown it at all and no amount of run of games will help that. Its not Watford where players can expect to come in and be given a run of games to show what they can do, its Man Utd, players have to be able to step up right away.
He is probably a great guy, he simply isnt good enough. Who is he going to replace in a starting line up? Bruno?, Pogba? I would even take Lingard over him any day of the week.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not good enough which is fine, but why didn't Ole just let him go to Everton in the summer? He needs that club to realize he's not good enough there either then move to the bundesliga and then back to Ajax.
You're such a cnut Kirkduyt, we get it you don't like Donny, geez.Ha!

Stack

This exactly. Its been horribly unfair on him.

HailtotheKing

Agree with all that. But how can you not rate him when you really haven’t seen him?
He played great with Matic. We control the midfield like against West Ham. But Ole isn’t interested in that. He wants players that can break up play and get it as fast as possible to other players that can pull off moments of magic. That seems to be his entire tactics when not on the counter. Today was one of the worst half’s of football I’ve ever seen us play. We were totally unbalanced.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Blows my mind that Ole blocked his summer move if he doesn't rate him? The only thing that ensures is that the buying club gets a much better price when he doesn't play for two years instead of one.

We could have sold him in the last window to buy a player that Ole would actually play.

£34m on this guy is looking more dodgy than the Bebe transfer at this point.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Have you seen the reactions when we were behind tonight? People want the manager's head on a stick after every shit result. Which leads to a pressure so ridiculously high, creating a situation where managers would rather stack their squad with Lingard's and VdB's than take the risk of letting them go and not having enough quality players available for every single match.
What an insane take.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
How do we know that? We haven´t given him a run of games to prove himself.
We’re not a charity and we’re not in a position to take chances.

He’s not a strong defensive mid and he’s not benching Pogba or Bruno.

He suited Ajax style/personnel around him, he doesn’t suit us. Shouldn’t have bought him, hopefully we can get £20m+ in Jan and everyone moves on

Andersonson

Of course, but seems strange to think that he doesn't rate him if he has watched him, analyzed him enough to decide to pay £40 for him.
They might have seen something then, like all the fans, but you never know how a player copes with the premier league. Saf payed almost the same for Veron 20 years ago and he didn't cope either, yet he wasn't a shit player, just wrong league for him.