What’s the dilemma with Donny’s playing time & Ole?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The dilemma is that Donny's best position is where Bruno plays. Given that Bruno has been fantastic, barely missed a match so far and doesn't like to get subbed off, it's really hard to get minutes. Then there's the fact that Pogba could also play in Bruno's position, and both of them are simply a bit more talented than Donny. Another problem is that VdB is only suited to play deeper in midfield against very inferior opposition, we simply don't face mid table Eredivisie level teams quite often.

The transfer made sense at the time, a young hungry Bruno back-up + Pogba replacement for a reasonable price. People seem to be forgetting that Pogba literally said himself that he wanted to leave Utd in a press conference with the French NT last summer, somehow it never happened and he's still here though...
We'll never know if DVB isn't suited to play against good teams in midfield since he isn't given the chance to do that consistently in other games.

kouroux

They might have seen something then, like all the fans, but you never know how a player copes with the premier league. Saf payed almost the same for Veron 20 years ago and he didn't cope either, yet he wasn't a shit player, just wrong league for him.
But Veron was given chances to play until it was clear that it wasn't gonna work. Do you feel the same has been done to VDB ?

Herman Toothrot

But Veron was given chances to play until it was clear that it wasn't gonna work. Do you feel the same has been done to VDB ?
He's played more minutes for United than Kleberson. A World Cup Winner who assisted in the final.

Andersonson

To a degree. Not only game time counts. If he was good enough in training he would get more minutes. He hasn't shown himself at all in the game he has gotten.

And to be frank, he isn't Veron quality either

OmarUnited4ever

Maybe Ole expected more from him and donny just hasn’t proved himself in training to change Oles mind.
Prove himself in training??!!

Do you watch the team's training sessions? Where I can watch them to see if VdB is not performing well in training?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Prove himself in training??!!

Do you watch the team's training sessions? Where I can watch them to see if VdB is not performing well in training?
No I don’t, and I don’t think many do so I don’t understand the crying that he’s not playing. He hasn’t pulled up any trees when he’s played and for all we know he’s fecking shit in training too.

kouroux

To a degree. Not only game time counts. If he was good enough in training he would get more minutes. He hasn't shown himself at all in the game he has gotten.

And to be frank, he isn't Veron quality either
We can only see what we see. I cannot assume he trains badly tbh, neither could you.
He has shown some good football in the few bits he was given this season and when you look at his competition in midfield, no one serious enough can say him being bench is justified.

Herman Toothrot

I understand him 100%. Every time he plays he is performing so much better than the those frauds we normally use. Solskjaer is a twat.
This guy is no good. I gotta have my posts limited to 5-a-day and you let this slip? tttttttttsk, get-your-shit-in-order.

OmarUnited4ever

No I don’t, and I don’t think many do so I don’t understand the crying that he’s not playing. He hasn’t pulled up any trees when he’s played and for all we know he’s fecking shit in training too.
If all you've said is true then why didn't Ole let him go on loan?? Or even better sell him??!! Why keep him if he is so shit in games and trainings??!!

No body is crying for VdB, it's just Ole should either play him or let him go, Fred and McTominay aren't also pulling up any trees too.. people are just perplexed at the blizzare situation

Hoof the ball

I could have sworn the last game VdB played he was very good in CM, against West Ham :lol: In fact, he was also good in the 45 mins against Young Boys before being subbed off at half-time because of AWB's red card.

What's the deal, then? If Donny hadn't played well I could understand the omission, but you all saw it against West Ham. He was very good, so, what's the deal? What's the use in playing well if it doesn't merit the reward of more minutes?

Andersonson

We can only see what we see. I cannot assume he trains badly tbh, neither could you.
He has shown some good football in the few bits he was given this season and when you look at his competition in midfield, no one serious enough can say him being bench is justified.
Matic has showed alot more and deserves it more than him. And there are huge question marks about him in a two man midfield. He's way to eager to drift and we lose control.

If we change to a straight 433 I can agree he should be tried more. But not in the current formation

Woodzy

Tbh, after a year and a bit I still don’t know if DvB is actually a good player or not so I’m not arsed if he’s not playing.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I like Donny but Ole has pretty much ruined his career, the guy was instrumental for Ajax even in big champions league games yet the clueless clown still plays either Fred, Mctominay or both over him.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If all you've said is true then why didn't Ole let him go on loan?? Or even better sell him??!! Why keep him if he is so shit in games and trainings??!!

No body is crying for VdB, it's just Ole should either play him or let him go, Fred and McTominay aren't also pulling up any trees too.. people are just perplexed at the blizzare situation
Maybe he kept him for league cup and fa cup games. Not games with five minutes to go when we’re chasing a goal in the champions league.

I’m also unsure if anyone wanted to even buy him, just loan offers.

RUCK4444

Thread title should be changed to ‘what’s the fascination with some fans and VDB’s playing time.’

VDB doesn’t improve tonight’s performance let’s be honest.

kouroux

Matic has showed alot more and deserves it more than him. And there are huge question marks about him in a two man midfield. He's way to eager to drift and we lose control.

If we change to a straight 433 I can agree he should be tried more. But not in the current formation
Whatever the case, if you look at the form of Fred/McT/Matic and even Pogba, there ain't no way for me VDB couldn't have played more so far.
If they were consistently good then I'd have no issue

clarkydaz

I could have sworn the last game VdB played he was very good in CM, against West Ham :lol: In fact, he was also good in the 45 mins against Young Boys before being subbed off at half-time because of AWB's red card.

What's the deal, then? If Donny hadn't played well I could understand the omission, but you all saw it against West Ham. He was very good, so, what's the deal? What's the use in playing well if it doesn't merit the reward of more minutes?
lets not facts get in the way of a lazy narrative here

OmarUnited4ever

Maybe he kept him for league cup and fa cup games. Not games with five minutes to go when we’re chasing a goal in the champions league.

Hahahhahaha maybe you are right ... But the guy is 23 yo, he needs consistent game time somewhere to establish himself, not the odd game here and there, those games are for the under 21s usually.

Just to be clear I am not even advocating for him to be selected ahead of McFred or Pogba and Bruno, it's just that his situation isn't good for himself or the club, if he isn't good enough let him go, if he is good, give him a meaningful chance to establish himself and fight for a spot in staring 11 or be a proper option when the ones on the pitch aren't performing, see Sancho, he isn't also pulling up any trees but he's getting a proper game time to play and establish himself slowly over the course of the season.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I'd like to see him get a run of games, feel for him. We won't really know if he can do it unless we do.

Fanta Stick

What's funny is you guys not getting what I was doing when referencing the past and present in a post one minute after the first. Real mind bender that one was eh.
Why would anyone have 2 accounts? It must be common for that bit of observational comedy to work I dunno.
I understood what you were doing and found it amusing.

But then again I am also a little weird. :lol:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I understood what you were doing and found it amusing.

But then again I am also a little weird. :lol:
Hey thanks, yea it's good to have a little bit of fun on here. There's a lot of seriousness, and I respect the dedication and knowledge of the posters on here.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not sure I rate him but I would like to see us show some faith in him, at least for a few games in a row. I feel like him, Fred and Bruno/Pogba is a good midfield. Question is, is it good enough for Man Utd? But we'll never find out unless he plays. For me Fred, McT and Bruno is only good enough for "a good effort". If they're on form they combine well but if not, well 2 of them are nothing special. Donny may also be nothing special but given we paid £40m for him I say let's find out.

croadyman

Think his pre match presser tells you he clearly rates energy and workrate over quality on the ball which is staggering

passing-wind

Donny for me more accurately resembles the inferior argument that went around concerning Sterling being a "system" player rather than one of individual qualities. I think however with Donny this holds truths. When you consider the best players who have played under Solskjaer's tenure I genuinely believe it's not Ole's system that has accounted to player improvement, it seems more like the freedom given to the players to express themselves.

That's why the best players for Ole Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, Mason, Rashford (on form) have excelled be it against the run of play or if the team has put in an average performances. Donny I feel doesn't have enough within his arsenal to complement this type of playing environment as it's too far outside of his natural criteria of influence in a team. I think Donny is more useful under a more refined and philosophical coach where the imperatives are team instructions and positional disciplines (movement, off ball on etc).

LDUred

Blocking a loan move was harsh and possibly disingenuous if Ole simply wants him as an extra body in the squad rather than playing a meaningful part in the side.

He needs minutes and regular football to adapt to English football and Everton could have offered him that.

Very strange situation and sympathise with DVDB.

estel_manutd

Think his pre match presser tells you he clearly rates energy and workrate over quality on the ball which is staggering
He's not wrong - the Liverpool central midfield is a perfect example of that - three extremely hard working players.

roseguy64

I like Donny but Ole has pretty much ruined his career, the guy was instrumental for Ajax even in big champions league games yet the clueless clown still plays either Fred, Mctominay or both over him.
Ruined his career? Talk about hyperbole.

Hawks2008

Why sign him if he won't play? And why not sell in the last window if he still isn't playing?

Waste of a year for the guy I feel for him.

ThemanGiggsy

He just isnt good enough. Why cant some of you see that? Its Cleverley mark 2.
He cant beat a man on the dribble (like Cleverley)
He isnt very quick off the mark (like Cleverley)
He doesnt have that magic something (like Cleverley)
We shouldnt have bought him, its not fair on the player, Ole should have let him go in the last transfer window and has done Donny the dirty.

But ultimately he just isnt good enough.
Please posts the highlights where McFred have done any of the above. Scott and Fred beat a man off the dribble? McT was in almost every position a 6 shouldn’t have been in tonight as a 6. Never showing for the ball. Giving DVB a decent run of games can not seriously be worse than most games mcfred put out and I rate them more than most.

Reactions: Fortitude

Alek M

Da manic one
Donny is a Bruno replacement.
He does bot have the ability to play Fred of McT position. Not physical enough.
Lingard is better option than him.

Presto

It's called being professional.
He and his agent was promised regular football time this summer and in reality he still hasn't get game time despite playing well for few minutes on the field. After all he still keeps his mouth shut and that's professional. On the other hand, he as a normal human being has all the rights to be pissed off with the way Ole treated / lied to him! There's nothing to do with either professionalism or mental strength etc here.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Then why is he even on bench for the UCL game? Why even have him there if he is never going to play him? None of this makes any sense, and there is no way to justify what Ole is doing.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Donny is a Bruno replacement.
He does bot have the ability to play Fred of McT position. Not physical enough.
Lingard is better option than him.
Based on fecking what? is this your imagination? DvB is way more physical than Fred. And in the games he's played this season (pre-season and cup) he's shown to be much better holding midfielder than Fred.