What’s the solution to things Gary Neville thinks is wrong

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
90% he does its just this one touchy subject. He is honest about him being dishonest
I think that integrity is everything in life and that when dealing with a dishonest person there's only one way to go. This is not about a clerk lying that he didn't took that extra portion of cake. Gaz is literally being paid to give his honest views about football

I also sense that there is more to it then Mates FC. By being honest Gaz is making both the manager and the guys that had employed him in the first place look silly. No one likes that especially after spending 400m+ to appease that manager. That has the potential of burning bridges

So Gaz is probably putting himself first ahead of his job, his integrity and his love towards the club.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why even listen to Neville when he was an absolute shambles at Valencia in his only stint in a managerial role. No wonder he's backing his mate Ole, Neville knows absolute zero about managing a football team or the only thing he does know is how to manage a team badly.
I'm no Neville fan but doing the above will mean there are no pundits on TV :lol:

Maticmaker

Gary is something of an expert in stating the bleeding obvious!
His hindsight is fantastic and he has got a cutting turn of phrase when necessary, but does it help... no, but it keeps him in demand.
There is no question Gary's heart belongs to United, but his ability to look backwards and pontificate is matched only by his lack of ability to look forward, in the football manager hot seat, as demonstrated in Spain a short while back.

Ole needs help; with a growing squad of better players he is finding that just keeping all the players happy is not the route to success and at Man United this alone will not cut the mustard! The job is getting harder for Ole, ironically as progress is made, the next step is to win something and it must become his number one priority, keeping Pogba and Bruno happy and trying to play them together in every line up is not the answer, until he gets either a WC DM (like Kante) or a box-to-box midfield 'dynamo' like Bryan Robson. Fred for all his commitment and running about is no Kante and Scott McT will not develop into a BTB midfielder until he is playing alongside someone like Kante.

If you are playing two in midfield in the present day with four up top who either wont or cannot defend properly, then you need supermen... nuff said Gary!

Jeffthered

It may all be to prompt a response... his comments have a degree of influence as it promotes further scrutiny and debate, and he spoke of 'ego's.. the side being childish, with a front five, and the rest... v obvious, but this is Ole's squad and team now, and he needs to sort things somehow. But I am not sure whether he can.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Like asking do you want chinese food at a chinese food restaurant. No, I want pizza.

Jackal

Again, he isn't a hypocrite. You need to separate neville the pundit and neville the owner.

He won't ever publicly call for a manager to be sacked in his media role, be it ole, Jose, wenger whoever.

But he sold enough last night for me to know if he was the owner ole would be sacked.

He's a hypocrite.

Neville said the previous managers FAILED. Ole's predecessor won Europa cup and the league cup in his debut season and Neville said it was failure.
Meanwhile, the same Neville is saying if Ole finished the season by winning Europa cup and one domestic cup, it should be considered a successful season.

What Mourinho won is failure but if Ole wins it(even with a better squad), it's a successful season?
Is he even aware United will have to finish below Atalanta and Villareal to get into Europa? And that will be considered successful?

Gary Neville has lost all credibility as a pundit. A pundit should be unbiased that must never put his friendship with a quack manager before the club he claims to love/support.
He doesn't have to call for Ole's sacking and neither should the standard be lowered for Ole.

Reactions: oates

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
All the things he is saying that is wrong at United is due to Ole's and his coaches' inadequacies. Yet, if you ask him whether he thinks Ole should be sacked, I bet you he says we should stick it out. Nevermind the fact that we're 3 seasons into Ole's reign.

bonothom

I'm no Neville fan but doing the above will mean there are no pundits on TV :lol:
Wouldn't matter if there wasn't. The only reason Neville never calls out the United manager whoever they are is because he was so hopeless as a manager himself. Always puts it on the players when it's quite obvious United are failing cos of the coaching setup. All this rubbish about Ole steadying the ship blah blah and yet he's had more time than either Van Gaal and Mourinho and hasn't won anything. After Uniteds transfer window they should be closer to challenging and yet they look worse. If this was City or Chelsea he'd be gone.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Regardless of how much of a clue Gary Neville has, does anyone think him holding this opinion will increase the duration of Ole in this job?
He and Carragher bought down the entire super league so the answer is yes :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So Gary Neville gave an explanation of the multitude of things that thinks is wrong although best summed up with his “odd bunch” he goes into more detail

1) Performances not good enough.
2) Great players but no plan or tactics and rely on individual moments.
3) Shabby as a unit and poor in and out of possession
4) Can’t press like most teams do
5) Can’t keep the ball
6) Pulled apart by teams that are organised and have a methodology

That’s very interesting to me, because G Neville has said that he won’t call out Ole. But when you look at every issue he’s said. It pretty much comes down to management and coaching.
Keep Ole in the club, get Conte.

Ole as a DOF with another, would work. He knows the club. The fans. The culture. Retain that.

Just as Southgate won’t win anything with England, but needs to stay inside the organisation, as does Ole. They healed their environments. They are valuable. But they are tactically bereft and need better managers to take the team to the next level.

Southgate fixed the media relationship. Ole fixed the squad. They’re done. England and United need to move on.

Abraxas

I think Ole would have to make some pretty unpopular decisions with fans and posters to address the balance of the side in a way Neville is referring to.

With our personnel it would probably mean dropping Fernandes or Pogba, for a start. I would say most likely Pogba in order to keep some out of possession energy within the forwards.

It would probably mean tightening up the midfield substantially. Maybe a three that looks fairly uninspiring on paper but has some balance. I would think something like Fred and McT as the fabled pair that work hard, and maybe even Matic for some passing ability and discipline to simply sit.

Up front it would probably mean Fernandes in a forward role, maybe off the right or drifting, Ronaldo because he has to play, and off the left you can take your pick but whoever it is needs a rocket up the arse. Maybe even Lingard if we want to actually press.

This way you have Lingard, Fernandes and Fred initiating the press which looks a lot more functional than current personnel. You also have McT and Matic for some insurance.

However, you have about a billion worth of talent on the bench and as soon as we lose people will lose their mind along with it.

sparx99

A DM would do very little, we’re a mess all over the pitch, our ”press” is utterly horrendous, we’re like schoolkids with some of our decision making.

The idea one player in one position improves a lot of these issues is utter codswallop, we know this because we’ve seen Bernardo at CM for City, Giggs there for us, Lahm there for Bayern. Plenty of pros can fill gaps in functioning teams and setups. We’re so far from a one man fix it’s untrue.
Or entirely a one man solution. It’s just not a player that’s the problem.

sparx99

Because he knew how to get the best out of them. I took it to mean he's out of his depth with this squad of attacking talent that he has no idea how to get the best out of. He hinted at it quite a bit
Yeah, it seemed to be implying that hard working “good honest pro’s” are easier to manage than the likes of Ronaldo, Sancho & Varane.

Okey

Better coaching, quite simply. Which probably means a new manager. It's really so obvious you wonder why it's so hard for some to admit. We're a mess on the pitch most of the time. And a DM with the current set up won't change that. Brighton slotted in Adam Lallana at DM and played Arsenal off the park. Adam Lallana!

AndrewMac

He's the best pundit out there and he's usually spot on with most things (even on external matters like racism, government) but i've noticed some major hypocrisy coming from him of late.

1) Obvious is the blind nonsensical support for Ole, with a rationale that doesn't make sense. He's normally very self aware, but seems blind to the judgement he is saying what he is because he's 'Ole's mate'. The hypocrisy being he's sacked mangers at his own club! One just a few games into the season. He's often called out players too not being good enough, but seems to have developed a smug 'im a nice guy who doesn't want managers out'. Could be a leftover mental issue from his time at Valencia that has effected him deeply.

2) He apparently by all accounts, doesn't believe in financial fair play. So clubs like City, PSG, can just pump state money into clubs without any income and buy the league. We all know why he doesn't believe in this due to his own motives from the pump Salford are getting.

He's stance on Ole is infuriating.