What’s the solution to things Gary Neville thinks is wrong

Jackal

Gary Neville is a hypocrite. Everyone should stop listening to him.

He's sacked about 4 managers in Salford but he wants United to persevere with Ole so that Liverpool can overtake our Premier League title haul. Nothing he's said in the past 8 weeks makes sense.

"If United got Harry Kane, they would win the league." He said this after the purchase of Sancho and Varane.

Woodward went all out and signed Cristiano. Now, Neville is saying Europa cup win/FA cup and a top 4 finish would be a successful season.

Dante

Average bang

Neville laying into Ole as usual. And defending Pogba despite his poor performances.

Swedish_Plumber

Like others have said, Gary would sack the a manager if he was in charge. So anything else that comes out his mouth is biased hypocrisy.

Jericholyte2

We can buy new players until United are bankrupt, with a manger who doesn’t know how to drill a team to a style of play it’s completely meaningless as they’ll forever be just 11 guys on a pitch, not a team.

If you have a car, you can have all the best pieces put together, but if you don’t have the keys to make it run then you’re still going to have to walk aren’t you?

Greck

He's sacked about 4 managers in Salford but he wants United to persevere with Ole so that Liverpool can overtake our Premier League title haul. Nothing he's said in the past 8 weeks makes sense.

"If United got Harry Kane, they would win the league." He said this after the purchase of Sancho and Varane.

Woodward went all out and signed Cristiano. Now, Neville is saying Europa cup win/FA cup and a top 4 finish would be a successful season.
Hope he isn't allowed to forget saying this. Said it at a time where he didn't think we would sign a new striker. Conveniently cited it as the missing ingredient. Now that we have one he'll have to dig even deeper in his bag of excuses.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
First, a different pundit who's not got his hands full into the cookie jar and then once he calls out the blindingly obvious, a new manager.

Daengophile

If I were Woodward, I'd tell Ole that the coaching team isn't performing and he will have to release one of them each of the next 2 losses before New Year and the 3rd is him

Need to stop listening to pundits talking about their mates
I think if you look at what he says it’s very clear that he’s leaving the blame at the door of the manager ever if he is publicly backing him.

It’s like me having a builder friend who built a house. I observe the house and say
1) The foundations has been badly placed
2) The bricks are the best in the business but they’ve not been put together in a suitable way
3) corners have been cut and house was built with not thinking for longevity or protection against the elements…

but my builder is a great guy I’ll never call him out he should be given another building job

Roboc7

So Neville thinks Ole needs to prove he’s a top manager, good luck with that.

The solution is painfully obvious, get a new manager. It’s also been obvious for a long time that Ole has no detailed plan, he has to go and the sooner the better.

jesperjaap

The answer isntJUST a new manager.

A lot of these players have also failed under Mourinho and even Van Gaal and some even Moyes. We have a lot of players who give the ball away consistently and that even includes some of our more talented players like Fernandes and Pogba.

The management and coaching of course needs improving, as our pressing and shape defensively has been poor for a long time now, papered over by some of our second half spells last season saving us.

For me though, we really need to clear out a lot of our failing players as it isnt just management. Bailly, Jones, Pogba, lingard, Mata, Martial have all been here a long time and never consistently performed to expectations and there are another 8/9 you could argue to sell. Just those names q8months ago could have generated £200m potentially, now there are two free transfers and maybe £50m.

Seen lots of posts on how you cant sign 5/6 in a window, that is what we should have done, clear out, rebuild the midfield and promote a couple of youngsters to the squad like Hannibal, Elanga, Shoetire.

We have a squad of well over 30 and half of them could go, we should have a smaller squad and half of it could be changed, that process has been far too slow, we signed three excellent players yet only one was a priority position and we needed two yet signed none in midfield. That was poor, Oles process hasnt worked yet I dont see the right manager available at the moment, another short term fix or "anybody but Ole" wont work, but he and the coaching team sould be replaced when the right one is available, though I scratch my head as to who that woul dbe. Nagelsmann the summer before last was the last time we should have changed....but now, who?

Sparky Rhiwabon

So Gary Neville gave an explanation of the multitude of things that thinks is wrong although best summed up with his “odd bunch” he goes into more detail

1) Performances not good enough.
2) Great players but no plan or tactics and rely on individual moments.
3) Shabby as a unit and poor in and out of possession
4) Can’t press like most teams do
5) Can’t keep the ball
6) Pulled apart by teams that are organised and have a methodology

That’s very interesting to me, because G Neville has said that he won’t call out Ole. But when you look at every issue he’s said. It pretty much comes down to management and coaching.
I find that Gary will point out a load of things wrong that sound like they’re the fault of the manager / coaching team and then end it by saying something like “the players have a responsibility…”

arnie_ni

I'm not even sure some people here listened to what he actually said.

He blamed ole, but he will never call for any manger to be sacked in his media role.

jackamus

Ole is very poor and appears stubborn too, anyone can see that whatever it is that him and his coaches are trying to implement, just is not working, all this Rubbish that now Declan Rice is the final piece of the jigsaw is mind boggling, I personally think Ole and all the back room staff are responsible for this shambles, OK there are some players in this team/squad who should not really be there, but a decent manager would do much much better with that they have at there disposal.
for me the list of players that are not good enough and will struggle to win a title with these in the team and should be moved on are, Henderson, AWB, Bailly, Fred, Lingard, Sancho, DVB, I would add Pogba to that too, not cos ability but because I’m not sure his style is suited to premier league
before everyone flips… AWB is just not good enough, no amount of coaching will get him there either, ok he is good at sliding tackles but that’s only because he needs to be cos so often caught sleeping or out of position, what happened to make a top defender you stay on your feet? he always as to take an extra touch and turn back when attacking too.
sancho, just seen nothing from him in Utd shirt or England, ok decent at Dortmund, but really is that the level we should be judging by…is he any better then Greenwood! And he does appear to have attitude problem, even at Dortmund that’s well documented.
DVB had few games now, even though here and there granted, but just looks too slow and favours square balls all the time,
henderson we have decent back up to DeGea anyway.
I have seen on other forums, that people rating Shaw one of best left backs in world, that’s a diabolical statement IMO, but he is good enough for the team when so many other places need filling, also they were saying Rashford is world class, Please he is very good, but far away from being world class currently and lot to learn still….. I think many have united specs on with lots of our players, I guess like every team, but having said all that a decent manager would be getting much more out of what we got, certainly after 3 years would have some direction of play and found an identity we have done nothing.
so please replace Ole and please be a big name who insist on his own back room staff, because I fear if a lesser name such as Potter etc he will have to work with Carrick/McKenna etc and they are big part of the problem….
just ask ourselves which team would take Ole or any of our coaches……. NONE in tope divisions anyway

arnie_ni

That’s what I thought he meant as well. It’s not something that I wanted to hear. Hardly encouraging.
So it wasn't an excuse, it was about as bad a criticism as he could offer against oles coaching ability.

You can tell he doesn't think ole should be manager without actually saying it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

He blamed ole, but he will never call for any manger to be sacked in his media role.
Of course they didn't. All they want to hear him say is "he should be sacked".

Everyone is also ignoring that Carragher said he's done a good job and he wouldn't even be thinking of sacking right now.

CloneMC16

I love how he said that and Kane has been diabolical this season. We would be in a much worse position with him.

Agreed. It's quite clear with what he's actually said. People want those in the media to straight up ask for managers to be sacked. I don't see why they need to hear those exact words. A bunch of these pundits are failed managers. They know this isn't easy and won't want to throw other people under the bus.

Jacob

The solution is tactical know-how, discipline and respect of the manager.

Pogba and Bruno are poisoned chalices. Doesn't matter how good you are offensively if you consistently cost us our shape, possession and xGa.

arnie_ni

well said. Neville is one of the worst punters out there. A proper hypocrite.
Again, he isn't a hypocrite. You need to separate neville the pundit and neville the owner.

He won't ever publicly call for a manager to be sacked in his media role, be it ole, Jose, wenger whoever.

But he sold enough last night for me to know if he was the owner ole would be sacked.

RUCK4444

A DM would do very little, we’re a mess all over the pitch, our ”press” is utterly horrendous, we’re like schoolkids with some of our decision making.

The idea one player in one position improves a lot of these issues is utter codswallop, we know this because we’ve seen Bernardo at CM for City, Giggs there for us, Lahm there for Bayern. Plenty of pros can fill gaps in functioning teams and setups. We’re so far from a one man fix it’s untrue.
It’s been poor but we’ve been better previously to this, low energy players like Pogba, Mason, Ronaldo don’t help the press, that’s the problem there.

A proper (actual!) DM would connect the defence to attack, we wouldn’t be playing as five forwards separated from the defence and we wouldn’t be getting passing sliding past our entire midfield time and again.

I agree there is a lot of improvement required on the pitch regardless but the above mentioned DM and what that provides is going to be needed by the next manager regardless.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
So it wasn't an excuse, it was about as bad a criticism as he could offer against oles coaching ability.

You can tell he doesn't think ole should be manager without actually saying it.
The only problem I have with Neville is bizarre refusal to say, listen, it’s not working and it’s time for a change - for any manager - not just Ole. I respect his stance but it’s misguided. He’s a pundit whom is getting paid a lot of money for his expert advice, he’s expected to make tough calls imo.

MalaysianRed7

So Gary Neville gave an explanation of the multitude of things that thinks is wrong although best summed up with his “odd bunch” he goes into more detail

1) Performances not good enough.
2) Great players but no plan or tactics and rely on individual moments.
3) Shabby as a unit and poor in and out of possession
4) Can’t press like most teams do
5) Can’t keep the ball
6) Pulled apart by teams that are organised and have a methodology

That’s very interesting to me, because G Neville has said that he won’t call out Ole. But when you look at every issue he’s said. It pretty much comes down to management and coaching.
In the interest of adding some depth to this thread, I’m going to go deeper than simply saying ‘new manager’ and address the points you/Gary made.

Regarding poor performances, this is an issue where Ole genuinely wouldn’t even be the right person to sack first. It’s already been specified that McKenna and Carrick are the people who take training sessions, and if they can’t implement any patterns of play by now after 4 seasons (Jose was the one who promoted them), then they never will. It’s unacceptable that as you said, we still have no clear tactic and rely on individualism. You look at the way Ronaldo responded to McKenna giving him instructions against Everton as well. I don’t even think the players respect these two inexperienced coaches, even if they are technically sound. Get a new coaching staff, and see where that takes us on the pitch.

In terms of being poor off the ball, I think this is down to the lack of motivation with which we start and generally play games. Aside from Leeds, I can’t remember the last time we came flying out the traps from minute one, probably since the derby win against City. That is a damning indictment on both the coaching staff and this group of players, and since the former clearly cannot motivate the latter, this is where the legends come into play. Invite the likes of Fergie, Keane, Cantona etc to meet the players and give them a chat before a game, and when better to do this than Sunday against Liverpool. If that still doesn’t inspire them to come flying out the blocks and press as a unit, then nothing will. It was pitiful to see Mason ambling towards the Leicester defence time after time on Saturday, with no help whatsoever from Ronaldo and AWB.

Finally, if you want to keep the ball more and not get pulled apart, which happens to us far too often, then I can only see one solution. Drop one of Pogba or Bruno. Both constantly give the ball away and offer almost nothing in terms of defensive protection. For me, Pogba is the one who has to be dropped. Bruno at least attempts to press, and tops our goal and assist charts year in year out. Pogba simply doesn’t offer any of that. In my view, we either switch to a 4-3-3 with Matic-Bruno-Donny as the midfield, or use a Matic-Fred pivot behind Bruno, especially in games against top half teams. With Pogba or McFred, we‘ll just continue to surrender the ball and get torn apart through the midfield. This is a personnel thing, and I don’t want to see Pogba (when Bruno’s available) or McT play in the tougher games.

Just to end off, Gary is starting to get on my nerves now. He tells us that everything wrong with this team is essentially down to coaching, but will never say a bad word about the coaches! In that case, we’ll never ever get out of this rut will we? It’s extremely hypocritical.

Reactions: Invictus

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Again, he isn't a hypocrite. You need to separate neville the pundit and neville the owner.

He won't ever publicly call for a manager to be sacked in his media role, be it ole, Jose, wenger whoever.

But he sold enough last night for me to know if he was the owner ole would be sacked.
If Gaz was hired as Ole's lawyer or PR agent then he's legally and morally obliged to take Ole's side. However he's being employed as a pundit. He's literally being paid to share his honest views about certain football related topics with the public. Anything less then that is dishonest from his part and should get him sacked.

The only difference between Gaz the pundit and Gaz the owner is that the latter has legal power to actually change things around within his domain (ie Salford FC). Gaz the pundit has no power to change anything at Manchester United.

Stacks

In the interest of adding some depth to this thread, I’m going to go deeper than simply saying ‘new manager’ and address the points you/Gary made.

Regarding poor performances, this is an issue where Ole genuinely wouldn’t even be the right person to sack first. It’s already been specified that McKenna and Carrick are the people who take training sessions, and if they can’t implement any patterns of play by now after 4 seasons (Jose was the one who promoted them), then they never will. It’s unacceptable that as you said, we still have no clear tactic and rely on individualism. You look at the way Ronaldo responded to McKenna giving him instructions against Everton as well. I don’t even think the players respect these two inexperienced coaches, even if they are technically sound. Get a new coaching staff, and see where that takes us on the pitch.

In terms of being poor off the ball, I think this is down to the lack of motivation with which we start and generally play games. Aside from Leeds, I can’t remember the last time we came flying out the traps from minute one, probably since the derby win against City. That is a damning indictment on both the coaching staff and this group of players, and since the former clearly cannot motivate the latter, this is where the legends come into play. Invite the likes of Fergie, Keane, Cantona etc to meet the players and give them a chat before a game, and when better to do this than Sunday against Liverpool. If that still doesn’t inspire them to come flying out the blocks and press as a unit, then nothing will. It was pitiful to see Mason ambling towards the Leicester defence time after time on Saturday, with no help whatsoever from Ronaldo and AWB.

Finally, if you want to keep the ball more and not get pulled apart, which happens to us far too often, then I can only see one solution. Drop one of Pogba or Bruno. Both constantly give the ball away and offer almost nothing in terms of defensive protection. For me, Pogba is the one who has to be dropped. Bruno at least attempts to press, and tops our goal and assist charts year in year out. Pogba simply doesn’t offer any of that. In my view, we either switch to a 4-3-3 with Matic-Bruno-Donny as the midfield, or use a Matic-Fred pivot behind Bruno, especially in games against top half teams. With Pogba or McFred, we‘ll just continue to surrender the ball and get torn apart through the midfield. This is a personnel thing, and I don’t want to see Pogba (when Bruno’s available) or McT play in the tougher games.

Just to end off, Gary is starting to get on my nerves now. He tells us that everything wrong with this team is essentially down to coaching, but will never say a bad word about the coaches! In that case, we’ll never ever get out of this rut will we? It’s extremely hypocritical.
he already explained he won't diss his mate and has made comments about "ole needs to improve this and that" so he is making sly ones but its understandable he won't be objective

GlasgowCeltic

Strange hearing Neville hint Maguire has been unnerved by Varane's signing, kind of thing Martial is regularly accused of.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
he already explained he won't diss his mate and has made comments about "ole needs to improve this and that" so he is making sly ones but its understandable he won't be objective
then he's not doing his job as a pundit properly. That's because he's being PAID to give his honest views about football. Which quite frankly encapsulate what is wrong with Mates FC. We're too busy covering mate's arses and act like top reds to do what truly matters ie the good of the club.

Stacks

then he's not doing his job as a pundit properly. That's because he's being PAID to give his honest views about football. Which quite frankly encapsulate what is wrong with Mates FC. We're too busy covering mate's arses and act like top reds to do what truly matters ie the good of the club.
90% he does its just this one touchy subject. He is honest about him being dishonest

MalaysianRed7

I fully understand that, but it’s still highly hypocritical. Not for me to decide, but surely he should pretend everything is rosy then, because as I said there’s no solution and it’s just an endless cycle of poor performances if he tells us that the coaches are doing so many things wrongly without actually criticising the coaches.

Real Name

So let me get this right, we have a ton of problems, yet he wont call Ole out cause he's his teammate and he likes him and we should stick with him till the end of the season. All the numbered problems are not due to Ole? (in part of course but major part). I dont see any logic in what he's saying.
I understand he cares about Ole but he should care about United cause he would be completely delusional if he thinks Ole story is not working.
Not to mention the stuff about not calling any manager out.
For a guy who gets asked a lot of questions he sure does say a lot of bollocks. To be honest I like Carragher more as a pundit, a lot more.