What about our Tim?

devips

Fosu-Mensah. Do you feel he has a future at United? My vote goes to - YES.

Lentwood

No, but we shouldn't be giving these players away like we have been guilty of doing historically.

The fact that he has started a couple of games recently will hopefully have put him in the shop window and at his age we should be getting £5m-£7.5m at least.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No, but we shouldn't be giving these players away like we have been guilty of doing historically.

The fact that he has started a couple of games recently will hopefully have put him in the shop window and at his age we should be getting £5m-£7.5m at least.
Aye Pool did well in selling players like Ibe and Solanke for decent money.

Nickelodeon

Why bother selling him for 5-7.5 million? Let's have him around and he can be 3rd choice RB/LB and 5th choice CB. Maybe next season he gets to play about 10 games which could take him closer to the 15 million price range. Otherwise, if he really wants to leave and has suitors, then so be it.

Donut

No. If he wants to be a starter, he'll need to find a Championship club.

SteveW

I think Dalot will leave this summer and TFM may be kept around as backup. Laird will likely quickly jump ahead of him in the FB pecking order but his ability to provide cover anywhere across the back will probably keep him here.

Some people seem to think we've millions of CBs but in reality Jones, Rojo and Smalling are on their way out and Bailly and Axel haven't been consistently fit for ages. Mengi is 18.
Maguire and Lindelof are actually our only fit senior CBs right now. Even if we sign another it's very conceivable with an injury or two that we might need TFM to fill in there at some stage.

He's not really good enough to make it here but I can definitely see the logic in keeping him another year while we build out our defensive group.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I think Dalot will leave this summer and TFM may be kept around as backup. Laird will likely quickly jump ahead of him in the FB pecking order but his ability to provide cover anywhere across the back will probably keep him here.

Some people seem to think we've millions of CBs but in reality Jones, Rojo and Smalling are on their way out and Bailly and Axel haven't been consistently fit for ages. Mengi is 18.
Maguire and Lindelof are actually our only fit senior CBs right now. Even if we sign another it's very conceivable with an injury or two that we might need TFM to fill in there at some stage.

He's not really good enough to make it here but I can definitely see the logic in keeping him another year while we build out our defensive group.
Good post, agreed

UpWithRivers

He can play RB, LB, CB and midfield. 16 months out and did a decent job. Yeah he's not a starter but he would be a good O'Shea if he stays fit. Keep

It’s as if the guy has been flatlining and been brought back from the dead.

Pleased for him. Wouldn’t be adverse to keeping him around as there would be games here and there for him to play.

However, he’s not good enough long term, and he needs to be playing regularly, so for the sake of his own career he needs to leave.

pacifictheme

Not for me. He's not shown a lot at any point to suggest he is good enough for a team who wants to be near the top of the table, or near thr middle of it. Shame.

PoTMS

What we definitely shouldn't do is give him a new and improved contract as we are known to do when somebody has a few good games. Or if you're Phil Jones, we do for just turning up to training.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's not better than Tuanzebe and he's not really got a better injury record than Tuanzebe so, eh. If someone wants him I'd let him go.

Even if we somehow miraculously got rid of Jones and Rojo and even if Smalldini wants to leave and even if we don't sign anyone, we'll still have Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Mengi, all of whom I think are better than him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. Have you not been watching him? He hasn't shown any improvement or changes in his game compared to the few years back. This is where we should realise that he's not going to make it for United or needs to go out permanently to find clubs that can improve his game. For now he's just an emergency backup and is very likely he will go when his contract is expired unless if there is a club who wants to buy him permanently.

theklr

I think he was decent as a back-up. He has a severe lack of playing time, if he got some games in the EL and cup comps next season I think he can be quite ok.
He is very versatile so he can fit in a number of positions.

Skåre Willoch

I don't know, really. What's his best position anyway? People were calling for him to be played as DM a couple of seasons ago. He's built as a CB. But still, he's played as a LB/RB, probably because of his deficiencies.

Could he be useful? Probably, I guess. Just don't give him a massive contract that'll make him impossible to move if needed in a few years.

izec

I'm afraid, no. Just not good enough. Can't stay fit as well and build up some momentum. Plus he has no fix position. He will have to stay fit, work hard and have some luck to have a good career.

theklr

Nevermind Tim, what does this say about Dalot if a semi crocked TFM is preferred in the team after 3 years of being away and Dalot can't?
Says he's definately leaving , hopefully this window. Abit sad, always had high hopes for him.
But Ole knows who's good enough and not.

SteveW

I'm amazed that people think he's capable of playing midfield for us.
Some literally see him as a Matic replacement. Matic a midfielder who's main attributes are defensive positioning, calmness and his ability to pass the ball accurately through the lines is to be replaced in midfield by a defender who's positioning is suspect and has zero passing range or press resistance.

FIFA and football manager have ruined a generation of football supporters minds.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
difficult to say given he hasnt played that many games
Very hard to judge anybody in that fulham defence he played in because it was if not the worst ever in the pl certainly in the worst few
At palace they had AWB coming through at the same time so understandably played him
And with his injuries has not had many opportunities with us
I think he has one year left on his contract so its hard to know what to do because if he had two i think we would loan him out next season.
If we keep him he can sign a pre-contract somewhere else in January
Personally Id see if we could sell him for a really low fee now but insert a buyback / sell on clause

Kostov

He can be useful. I'm a bit confused to be fair, Tuanzebe for example has such a big rep on here and many rate him and want him in the squad, while in the same time TFM is written off on every given chance. Axel has something like 2400 minutes of Championship football and 500 minutes of PL football, TFM on the other hand has 2869 minutes of PL football and TFM is a bit younger.

Falcow

Nowhere near good enough, get whatever we can for him. He might do well in Championship.

I'd long written him off and whilst he did the job he was asked to do the last few weeks, he's still not good enough to be anything more than a distant backup for us. If he's happy with that, he shouldn't be here anyway.

SteveW

He can be useful. I'm a bit confused to be fair, Tuanzebe for example has such a big rep on here and many rate him and want him in the squad, while in the same time TFM is written off on every given chance. Axel has something like 2400 minutes of Championship football and 500 minutes of PL football, TFM on the other hand has 2869 minutes of PL football and TFM is a bit younger.
So counting minutes played is how we judge footballers now???

Axel is a better player. He's much calmer, more composed, positions himself better etc. TFM is a great athlete but not that good a defender. That's the reason people rate Axel higher.

Kostov

So counting minutes played is how we judge footballers now???

Axel is a better player. He's much calmer, more composed, positions himself better etc. TFM is a great athlete but not that good a defender. That's the reason people rate Axel higher.
Absolute bollocks. Nobody said it's how we rate footballers, just shows how a narrative is easily created and repeated. Axel might be a better talent or whatever your opinion might be, as it stands he has shown very little in a United shirt and in the PL, TFM has actually played better matches in a United shirt imo but same stands for him as well. Blubbering unfounded statements like "he's a good athlete not a good defender" is just ridiculous. TFM has shown at times that he is a very capable defender in addition to being a great athlete, last year he lost his place to AWB who we bought for 50m pounds and people have written him off for being rubbish without even watching him play.

I actually watched them in the youth teams and I think they are both equally talented. One of them played in the PL on loan though the other one in the Championship.

Bondi77

He should get decent minutes in the Europa and let us see how he performs

SteveW

Absolute bollocks. Nobody said it's how we rate footballers, just shows how a narrative is easily created and repeated. Axel might be a better talent or whatever your opinion might be, as it stands he has shown very little in a United shirt and in the PL, TFM has actually played better matches in a United shirt imo but same stands for him as well. Blubbering unfounded statements like "he's a good athlete not a good defender" is just ridiculous. TFM has shown at times that he is a very capable defender in addition to being a great athlete, last year he lost his place to AWB who we bought for 50m pounds and people have written him off for being rubbish without even watching him play.

I actually watched them in the youth teams and I think they are both equally talented. One of them played in the PL on loan though the other one in the Championship.
That's what you're doing though. You're using minutes played in the PL to assess them. You've brought it up in both posts. The reason Axel doesn't have PL minutes is because he's been injured all season. He was also considered too useful for the squad to go out on loan to Villa again this season. TFM has been consistently loaned out and he most recently couldn't get a game at Fulham. There's levels to this.

As for the youth teams most sound judges myself included rated Tuanzebe as the better defender. TFM has obvious weaknesses that Axel doesn't have such as positioning and rashness. Just because you fail to see the difference doesn't mean other people can't. Half of the people who rate TFM don't even think he's a defender. They've got it into their heads that he's a midfielder!

Anyway I'm not going to bother with you after that post. I'm sure you can find someone else to "blubber unfounded statements" to you.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
nope, only as a squad player.

I think he should have another loan next year and play regularly. His positioning is very suspect and he switches off defensively all the time.

He is our Matic replacement at DM.
:lol:

Why on earth do people keep thinking this? he would be shocking.

Eire Red United

He's not better than Tuanzebe and he's not really got a better injury record than Tuanzebe so, eh. If someone wants him I'd let him go.

Even if we somehow miraculously got rid of Jones and Rojo and even if Smalldini wants to leave and even if we don't sign anyone, we'll still have Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Mengi, all of whom I think are better than him.
2 of which are permanently crocked and one is a kid. I wouldn’t mind seeing TFM kept around as a last resort back up across the back 4.

IrishMcD

Not good enough, will never be good enough. Has nothing about him at all that warrants a place in a squad with ambitions to be challenging for titles. Even as a back up, the drop down from a starting player to him would be too huge. That's before we even discuss his injury record.
That's just my humble opinion, I have never been a fan of his. Think he has no place at this club. Along with a good few others like Jones and Rojo etc

Kostov

That's what you're doing though. You're using minutes played in the PL to assess them. You've brought it up in both posts. The reason Axel doesn't have PL minutes is because he's been injured all season. He was also considered too useful for the squad to go out on loan to Villa again this season. TFM has been consistently loaned out and he most recently couldn't get a game at Fulham. There's levels to this.
Well injuries play a big part in football and just like Axel, TFM has also been very unlucky with injuries and it goes both ways. TFM went out on loan at Palace and the manager that brought him in was sacked which affected his chances as well as AWB emergence. Than there's that disastrous loan at Fulham, who were absolutely woeful team and not a place for a young player to develop.
As for the youth teams most sound judges myself included rated Tuanzebe as the better defender. TFM has obvious weaknesses that Axel doesn't have such as positioning and rashness. Just because you fail to see the difference doesn't mean other people can't. Half of the people who rate TFM don't even think he's a defender. They've got it into their heads that he's a midfielder!
I also think that Tuanzebe is the more composed and better defender while TFM has better physical attributes and is more versatile. Just like TFM, Tuanzebe has obvious weaknesses one of which is being poor in the air and like most young defenders positioning. And just because you think something as such, doesn't make it a fact. The only fact here is that both of them are the same age and very unproven, and most tragically both of them injury prone.

Anyway I'm not going to bother with you after that post. I'm sure you can find someone else to "blubber unfounded statements" to you.
Oh please, do me a favor.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I remember the match years ago against Watford, we won 1-0 at home and he played next to Blind at centre back and carried him. I remember having high hopes for him after that but obviously it’s never materialised, I don’t think the loans to palace and Fulham playing fullback did him much good.
He’s still young enough to have a future here but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.