What are expectations for next season?

laughtersassassin

Expectation:

2nd or 3rd with a trophy and hopefully a higher points total.

Prediction:

4th with no trophies. (Will change depending on everyone's transfers etc)

For Ole to keep his Job he should have to win a trophy or Have a real title challenge where we finish within a few points of the leaders.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Problem isn't no trophies in four years, the problem is one Tier 1 trophy in a decade.

For me, club trophies are broken into four categories:

Tier 1
PL and CL

Tier 2
Europa and FA Cup

Tier 3
League cup + Conference Cup (from this year)

Tier 4
Super Cup, Club World Cup and Community Shield

Since 2012, which is now 10 seasons, Utd have:

1 PL, 1 FA Cup, 1 Europa, 1 League Cup

The problem here is that the drop from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is massive and much more than the drop from Tier 2 to Tier 4. Tier 1 is all the big players are interested in and what will sway them. I recognise that the FA Cup and Europa used to be a lot bigger but these days, they are typically used for development or second string players until the QF or SF and even then the better development/second string players will continue to play in the SF/Final.

This for me is a big issue owing to the nature of football. A decade is a seriously long time as whole cohorts of footballers have gone through their development knowing Utd only as a team that win top trophies very irregularly. I mean those boys that were between 7-13 at the start of 2011-12 will not really have seen Utd win a top trophy during their most impressionable years.
I hope it is ok to do what I just done - to quote something on one thread, on a different thread, but its just this above, from Dave Smith is one of the most interesting things I have read here recently (its from the no trophy in 4 years thread), but I think it applies to this discussion too.

I think Man Utd. are in a serious situation - as the years roll by from the last Premier title, the last good CL run, the more and more difficult it becomes to repeat it. Look at Liverpool as a prime example, they nearly won it in 2014, but the pressure after a 24 year gap was so intense, they just couldn't quite do it. In fact it took another six more years. Heck, if one goes back in time Man Utd. themselves had a similar situation: 1967-1993 a 26 year gap and I think there are 2 reasons these things happen:

As I have said, as the time between titles grows bigger, the desperation to win, the pressure to win, becomes immense - this can lead to errors in decision making, switching from manager to manager in search of the solution & buying short-term 'galacticos' instead of developing youth team players.

The other problem is, once the duration becomes - well a bit as it is now - none of the current outfield players have prior experience of winning the league with Utd. so its all 'new', again adding more pressure, so if they did manage to mount a title challenge into April/May 2022 it would take an extraordinary effort not just physically, but mentally, to get over the line first.

Anyway my prediction is this: one late transfer e.g. Ronaldo 8th or 7th. Several decent transfers including a new keeper and a manager willing to at least try and beat his main rivals: 1st or 2nd.

Oh and if you only buy Harry Kane, you'll finish below Leeds.

Eddy_JukeZ

If we get in Sancho, a CB and a midfielder....

There are simply no excuses for us not challenging for the league.

McTerminator

Seeing Woodward’s latest comments and the current state of the (immovable) club debt my expectations are simple:

1. little to no business, maybe Sancho to try to appease the fans and manager;
2. Injuries and/or squad depth exposed again so Ole sacked late into the season and we miss out on top 4;
3. New manager brought in;
4. People claim it will be different;
5. Nothing changes, debt and owners remain the same and the club continues to bounce between 2nd and 6th forever;
6. The club slowly becomes less and less relevant.

I have at least enjoyed what Ole has done so far, that’s something.

eire-red

No, it obviously isn't. I'm not going to try to convince you. If you prefer to delude yourself, go right ahead.
United didn't really perform to their maximum ability either this season. We dropped a stupid amount of points in that Feb - March period that could have had us further ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool, and closer to City.

I think we'll get in a couple of major signings this season, but even if we didn't, the squad still has the talent to be in consideration. A challenge should be the minimum requirement, with a couple of major signings, we should be aiming for some proper silverware.

Trequarista10

I would hope Ole gets the signings he needs and the team suddenly starts playing to the standard expected of a top side. Results can follow and trophies are dependant on the performance of other sides so can't be a given, but I'd want to see far better performances and at least a title challenge.

I fear that regardless of signings we'll see performances and results similar to last season, making it clear that Ole can not take the team to the next level.

Eddy_JukeZ

Why exactly would a team that finished a distant second in a season where two of the main competitors gravely underperformed suddenly win the league without any major signings? Because you'd really really like them to?
Why not?

No one thought we could win it in 2006-2007 after we sold RVN and Chelsea brought in Ballack and Sheva.

We should easily challenge for the title next season. If we don't, it'd be an abject failure.

justsomebloke

I see you guys are all fired up and ready for a season of righteous indignation. After all, you've been very clear: no excuses this time.

Steve 007

My question is really simple. I’m an Ole fan and think he’s done great. Steadied the ship, brought a smile to the players faces and got us closer to the top without being as boring as Mourinho, he’s shipped out all the rubbish that didn’t want to be here and we are in a much healthier position. The bad news is Man City are likely to add Kane and Grealish to the best squad in the world. So if Ole can’t win the league against the best squad in the world do you want him sacked? I read a comment about is not beating rivals last season. We beat city, Liverpool, Chelsea, which rivals are we referring to?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
My question is really simple. I’m an Ole fan and think he’s done great. Steadied the ship, brought a smile to the players faces and got us closer to the top without being as boring as Mourinho, he’s shipped out all the rubbish that didn’t want to be here and we are in a much healthier position. The bad news is Man City are likely to add Kane and Grealish to the best squad in the world. So if Ole can’t win the league against the best squad in the world do you want him sacked? I read a comment about is not beating rivals last season. We beat city, Liverpool, Chelsea, which rivals are we referring to?
"My question is simple..."

You asked two questions, you scoundrel.

prateik

80+ point season... if we get some signings..
If Woodward does a Woodward, then top 4 will be fine.

georgipep

Because this team is good enough to challenge for the league no matter how many of you try to convince us otherwise.

And us finishing distant second has to do with us collapsing completely after going top and losing points to relegation fodders which is a problem of the team's mentality rather than just quality.
What makes you say they are good enough to challenge? The players with title winning/challenge experience in the squad are De Gea, Lindelof (at Benfica), Fred (at Shakhtar), Matic (at Chelsea and Benfica), Pogba (at Juventus), Mata (at Chelsea) and Cavani (at PSG). The rest have never experienced a title challenge in their careers. Mourinho (who is famous for building title-challenging squads) failed to do it with more or less the same squad. But you say they are good enough. Well, I ask why?

GueRed

Going on last season at this moment? 3rd/4th

Lets see if we strengthen signficantly this summer first.

Ole needs a good start to the season otherwise pressure on his job will be immense.

Bestietom

We have just got to challenge for all honours this season...We must have a good squad with good cover for every position. We have some top youngsters that should get games this season or at least make the bench....Get rid of those taking up space, and make room for these top youngsters, Mejbri, Garner, Amad..

Oldyella

An actual challenge for the league, even if not winning it and picking up a cup would be a good season.

youmeletsfly

1. Give the youngsters a chance. We need some magic from one of them, same as City did with Foden and Chelsea with Mount
2. 80+ points season, no questions asked
3. Definite style of play. If we play the same boring stuff like last season the coaching staff needs to go at the end.
4. Good run in the cups and UCL quarters .

If by some otherworldly magic Ole gets Sancho + DM + CB then expectation should be nothing else than a title.

padzilla

Hipster
This is Manchester United we are talking about. The fact we are asking about what our expectations are, when the bare minimum should be a genuine title challenge, says it all about how standards have eroded.

28gunsalute

Title challenge until the last day of the season, no falling apart in February.
FA Cup win and final of CL.
This is Ole's last season, if we don't work out a plan to break down teams who defend it will be same old same old and Ole could be gone by christmas.
We are MAN UNITED ffs, we should be involved in every competition to the final stages. The players know the expectations by the size of their pay packets, they are expected to WIN WIN WIN at this club. Not flop at home to bottom of the table Sheff Utd (how embarrassing was that) or get turned over at little Leicester in the fa cup. Two low points of the season to add to the Villareal debacle. Come on United let's show em!

28gunsalute

The level of entitlement here is laughable, and only matched by those agenda posters, setting incredibly high thresholds for Ole to keep his job.
All before we even know what personnel we will have. :lol:
The level of wages paid to the prima donna powder puffs who fail to deliver week in week out is more laughable.
When you sign for Man United you accept the challenge to win every game, it's not a job to coast along and just trouser cash.
For Ole to win a trophy to keep his job is not unreasonable at all. Touchel and Rodgers both got silverware so why not Ole?

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
This is Ole's last season, if we don't work out a plan to break down teams who defend it will be same old same old and Ole could be gone by christmas.
We are MAN UNITED ffs, we should be involved in every competition to the final stages. The players know the expectations by the size of their pay packets, they are expected to WIN WIN WIN at this club. Not flop at home to bottom of the table Sheff Utd (how embarrassing was that) or get turned over at little Leicester in the fa cup. Two low points of the season to add to the Villareal debacle. Come on United let's show em!
What does that even mean?

It would be like me going onto the HTAFC website and saying we are HUDDERSFIELD TOWN (ffs), and we won the top division three times consecutively* so we should be aiming for the FA Cup and a cure for cancer and world peace.

It means nowt in 2021/22.

You need to look at Liverpool before you start posting predictions such as you have, otherwise it just makes Man Utd. fans look deluded in the eyes of the neutrals. It took them 30 years to get back to the top. Heck it took you 26 years (1967-1993) the last time you had to climb to the top of the footballing pyramid. People might laugh that I'm quoting statistics for my team from a century ago, but 26 years is a quarter of that time.

As regards the Sheffield game, sometimes big teams have a bad day against the minnows, look at England vs Scotland, the other night!

* 1924/25/26

P.S. Why do you say this is OLEs last season? He just signed a new 2 year deal at the end of March and as long as he achieves top-4 (or wins the EL) he ain't going to go before that expires, is he? Similarly, he won't be 'gone by Christmas either', because even if Utd. are ninth/tenth in December, they will still be in Europe and in with a chance of CL qualification for the following year. Is he going to 'lose the dressing room'? unlikely, he's a club legend.

Denis79

The level of entitlement here is laughable, and only matched by those agenda posters, setting incredibly high thresholds for Ole to keep his job.
All before we even know what personnel we will have. :lol:
It goes two ways, I see the Ole outs expecting a league win while the Ole ins expecting nothing. The outs say we had a terrible season while the ins make it like Ole has done miracles. Truth is somewhere in the middle. We had an ok season and Ole did enough to get another season.

I expect an improvement (football wise) and most importantly consistency. If we keep wobbling we'll need to consider a manager change.

Verminator

It goes two ways, I see the Ole outs expecting a league win while the Ole ins expecting nothing. The outs say we had a terrible season while the ins make it like Ole has done miracles. Truth is somewhere in the middle. We had an ok season and Ole did enough to get another season.

I expect an improvement (football wise) and most importantly consistency. If we keep wobbling we'll need to consider a manager change.
A balanced view, that I can fully get on board with.

28gunsalute

What does that even mean?

It would be like me going onto the HTAFC website and saying we are HUDDERSFIELD TOWN (ffs), and we won the top division three times consecutively* so we should be aiming for the FA Cup and a cure for cancer and world peace.

It means nowt in 2021/22.

You need to look at Liverpool before you start posting predictions such as you have, otherwise it just makes Man Utd. fans look deluded in the eyes of the neutrals. It took them 30 years to get back to the top. Heck it took you 26 years (1967-1993) the last time you had to climb to the top of the footballing pyramid. People might laugh that I'm quoting statistics for my team from a century ago, but 26 years is a quarter of that time.

As regards the Sheffield game, sometimes big teams have a bad day against the minnows, look at England vs Scotland, the other night!

* 1924/25/26

P.S. Why do you say this is OLEs last season? He just signed a new 2 year deal at the end of March and as long as he achieves top-4 (or wins the EL) he ain't going to go before that expires, is he? Similarly, he won't be 'gone by Christmas either', because even if Utd. are ninth/tenth in December, they will still be in Europe and in with a chance of CL qualification for the following year. Is he going to 'lose the dressing room'? unlikely, he's a club legend.
It means that this is a Man United Forum frequented by Man United fans who know that Man United are the biggest team in the world, expected to win major trophies and in so doing play attractive entertaining football, getting bums off seats.
It means EVERYTHING in 2021/22, every team raises their game against us as you well know being an udders fan, it's your cup final and everyone else's.
The football world and the press see Man United as big business and live off the club, simples.
No Man United no back page story, no paper sales, no profit etc etc you know the rest.
Nothing less than a trophy and very strong challenges in the league and CL or Ole will get the boot, you heard it here first.
Not interested in udders in the slightest, why are you on a Man United forum? closet red devil I guess.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This isn't an ole in or out thread, im sure it will become that with level of hysteria.

I have enjoyed the Ole trip so far. We have taken steps forward, albeit too small steps for many fans, and if the summer is as bad as last our squad development is even slower.

Is the expectation next season that Ole wins the league or has to go? And if so, is this possible at all with citys quality and how little ambition the club shows in getting top players in?

Is there any circumstance where Ole makes another small step forward next season that people would be happy with. eg a CL semi final, 5 more points in the league? Does it depend on what extent he is backed this summer?

If you have your mind made up regardless or results and performances then this thread probably isnt for you
I don't think it's black or white. It all comes down to performances. If we play great football, and lose out on winning the league by a point or two, it would be crazy to fire the manager. However, if there's no progression then it will be his time. The biggest thing is that we must be competing for trophies. SAF may not have won the league every year, but for the most part, we were always in the mix. If we are in the mix, the silverware will come...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
More of the same. Top 4 & no trophies. Some great moments, some moments where we all think Ole is the man to bring us glory, some horrendous moments, some moments where his in game management make us all question his sanity. I think Liverpool & Chelsea will get their act together so I’ll say 4th. If we sign Varane, a DM & Sancho I’ll be more optimistic, but I still think a title challenge is out of the question with the current management.

I can’t see Ole ever winning a trophy for us.

Zen86

I don’t really get those who mandate we need to win a trophy next season, the same people would no doubt be saying “it’s only the FA Cup” or “its only the League Cup” at the end anyway.

The only thing that matters this season is a serious title challenge, and even that is wholly dependent on who we bring in this summer. Cups are a bonus.

justsomebloke

I know this shouldn't surprise me by now. But it remains fascinating to me why anyone would choose to take such an attitude, which just seems perfectly designed to a) ignore reality and b) further increase the already huge potential of football to be a source of bitter disappointment in life.

It also baffles me why anyone would think that contributing to this mentality somehow should have a positive effect on the team's fortunes. As if the players will perform better if they know that achieving something they so far haven't managed to do will earn them nothing more than a bit less aggressive criticism. To succeed you need pressure, but you also need confidence. There is not much that is less motivating than being held to standards that just aren't reasonable. Such as expecting a team to WIN WIN WIN for no other reason than that we're Man Utd.

I think there's a fairly similar mentality to England, among the same section of fans. People convey that they really expect nothing more than shit from the team, while somehow at the same time managing to also convey that anything other than a tournament win and attractive, dominant football is somehow a crime against the natural order of things. It's hard to imagine a more toxic, or stupid, attitude. Maybe the fact many - not all - fans think this way has something to do with why England teams have generally exhibited a lack of confidence, and a clear sense that the fear of failure is stronger than the wish for success. Other countries do not treat their national teams in this way. And just like with United, it's pretty much consistently the case that however bad the team does, the angry, entitled section of fans overreact by roughly the same amount relative to the performance.

In short, it's so hard to rationalise this attitude as anything other than senseless that it's tempting to assume it's basically just a way of giving yourself licence to be angry. Hope it's worth it.

el3mel

What makes you say they are good enough to challenge? The players with title winning/challenge experience in the squad are De Gea, Lindelof (at Benfica), Fred (at Shakhtar), Matic (at Chelsea and Benfica), Pogba (at Juventus), Mata (at Chelsea) and Cavani (at PSG). The rest have never experienced a title challenge in their careers. Mourinho (who is famous for building title-challenging squads) failed to do it with more or less the same squad. But you say they are good enough. Well, I ask why?
How much winning experience and title challenge did that Liverpool team who won won the league and got 97 points the season before plus winning CL have before these achievements? Probably only Fabinho. Salah, Mane, Firmino, Henderson, Wijnaldum, VVD, Robertson, Arnold, Alison.. How many titles did these lot win before these 2 successful seasons at Liverpool? You can probably count their trophies combined before Liverpool on one hand.

9 Stone Elvis

I just want to see continued progress and some decent football. That probably smacks of a lack of ambition but there we are. If we can do that then Im happy with wherever we end up.

What I would love to see however is the manager being backed properly this window and a couple of the younger players breaking into the first team squad as well as Greenwood and Rashford improving too.

If we got the perfect storm of the above then we should be challenging for the title and we will be better able to judge Ole's ability to take us to the next level.

Jibbs

Almost every United player is playing better for his country than he plays for United. This should ring a bell among United faithfuls. We are a poorly coached and managed team. Ole is a bang average manager and we can never win anything significant with him in charge.

9 Stone Elvis

Almost every United player is playing better for his country than he plays for United. This should ring a bell among United faithfuls. We are a poorly coached and managed team. Ole is a bang average manager and we can never win anything significant with him in charge.
Shaw, Maguire, Rashford playing better for England than United?
McTominay playing in defence for Scotland?
Fernandes playing better for Portugal?

Outside of Paul Pogba Im not sure where you are getting that from.

Almost every United player is playing better for his country than he plays for United
I mean... both goalkeepers are sitting on the bench, one center back is injured, the right-back didn't even make his country's squad, the left-back has played 1/2 games and done nothing. The left winger has come off the bench twice and offered nothing. The best player in United's squad has been one of the most underwhelming of the tournament so far.

So that gives you, er, Pogba having one good game and one crap one. And Lindelof, McTominay and James being not awful, I guess.

Hammondo

Why not?

No one thought we could win it in 2006-2007 after we sold RVN and Chelsea brought in Ballack and Sheva.

We should easily challenge for the title next season. If we don't, it'd be an abject failure.
But we have no reason to think we will, its just blind faith.