What are expectations for next season?

Crashoutcassius

This isn't an ole in or out thread, im sure it will become that with level of hysteria.

I have enjoyed the Ole trip so far. We have taken steps forward, albeit too small steps for many fans, and if the summer is as bad as last our squad development is even slower.

Is the expectation next season that Ole wins the league or has to go? And if so, is this possible at all with citys quality and how little ambition the club shows in getting top players in?

Is there any circumstance where Ole makes another small step forward next season that people would be happy with. eg a CL semi final, 5 more points in the league? Does it depend on what extent he is backed this summer?

If you have your mind made up regardless or results and performances then this thread probably isnt for you

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
For me personally
- At least 80 points in the league
- Proper league challenge
- Much better home form
- A trophy of some sort
- Have to get better at defending set pieces. Being the second worst in the league is simply unacceptable

Having a check list of "demands" is a bit daft, but any manager here has to show steady improvement

bsCallout

Let's wait until the end of the window shall we.

If Liverpool, Chelsea and City all strengthen more than us everyone's loft predictions go out the window.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Before the summer window:
  • 85+ points
  • Serious league challenge
  • CL QF+
  • Domestic cup final

After the summer window:
  • 70+ points
  • Top 4
  • Advance from CL group
  • Decent cup run

rotherham_red

It honestly totally depends on the players brought in. Even just two starters (by most accounts a RW and CB are the priorities, though I'd prefer a DM to the latter) would see a much better Utd side and one that can push the big two much closer.

If those players aren't brought in however, then it will be the same slog for top 4.

He's not been perfect, but Ole has done really well to stabilise Utd and he deserves credit for pushing us into 2nd despite the myriad of issues we've faced and handling pandemic football in a way that a much superior manager in Klopp and the team who spent more than anyone last year (Chelsea) didn't. But he needs the funds to be fully released now. No excuses. He's done his side of the bargain twice in firstly cutting away the deadwood and secondly by achieving back to back top 4. Replenish the squad with quality first teamers and supplement it with the kids coming through, and then hopefully next season you'll see a real Utd side begin to emerge.

EDIT

In terms of targets (with the aforementioned players coming in):

c.85 points - push City all the way if possible
QF/SF CL
Would love us to pick up either or both of the domestic Cups
Continued progression of the likes of Greenwood, Rashford, McT and the kids from the u-23s and u-18s pushing through
Maybe one or both of Laird and Garner come into the first team squad proper if the funds aren't there for a DM and backup RB signing

If the players don't come in then I'd aim for c.75-80 points and QF in the CL and all the other targets remaining the same.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
80+ points
dominate plenty of matches (over 90 minutes)
QF stage of CL
Win our home games
Healthy goal difference

I think my expectations were exactly the same before last season. I think this is a better barometer of where we are than specifying where in the table we should be.

Alan Partridge

I’d like to see us start playing more attractive, attacking football. Smaller teams are going to sit deep against us, we need to find a way to break them down and bigger teams are there for the taking if we go for the jugular.

Crashoutcassius

80+ points
dominate plenty of matches (over 90 minutes)
QF stage of CL
Win our home games
Healthy goal difference

I think my expectations were exactly the same before last season. I think this is a better barometer of where we are than specifying where in the table we should be.
I agree, although dominating matches is very subjective

2nd with a genuine title challenge of 80+ points.
Quarter finals in all cups, semi final in one of the major ones.
Clear direction in where our coaching direction is going, that's the main thing we have been lacking.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Title challenge. Go further in the CL. If we get to a final in a cup, win it.

There's nowhere else to aim really, unless we're stagnating or going backwards.

I will say though that challenging for a title doesn't necessarily mean finishing 2nd. I'd take finishing 3rd in a genuine three-horse title race over finishing a distant 2nd. The important thing is that we look like a team who could win the league.

Also, being able to do that depends not just on our players and manager but also recruitment. There are no excuses for any of it not being up to scratch at this point.

BorisManUtd

It all depends on transfer window. If we get players we need, then I'd say I expect title challenge, 85+ points and QF of UCL at least. If we have summer similar to last one then I think we could be in problem with Liverpool, Chelsea and perhaps strenghtening their squad and having better managers than us.

Hughes35

Play decent football
80+ Points
Top 4
Get through group stages in CL
Pick up a League or FA Cup as a bonus.

The above should be the average, anything below is failure and anything more is success.

Crashoutcassius

Play decent football
80+ Points
Top 4
Get through group stages in CL
Pick up a League or FA Cup as a bonus.

The above should be the average, anything below is failure and anything more is success.
on the whole did you feel this year the football was decent

i dont see the football changing a lot regardless of who we sign... it will just be more or less effective

Hughes35

Title challenge. Go further in the CL. If we get to a final in a cup, win it.

There's nowhere else to aim really, unless we're stagnating or going backwards.

I will say though that challenging for a title doesn't necessarily mean finishing 2nd. I'd take finishing 3rd in a genuine three-horse title race over finishing a distant 2nd. The important thing is that we look like a team who could win the league.

Also, being able to do that depends not just on our players and manager but also recruitment. There are no excuses for any of it not being up to scratch at this point.
The title challenge this is a weird one. If Liverpool or Cty get 100 points again then we simply will not challenge.

Anything over 80 points is decent and if you get 85+ you've had a very good season.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I expect to be in a fight for the top 4 ... think we will make it but Im not execting a realistic title challange
I expect us to progress to the knock out of the champions league - Im not expecting us to make it to the final so being realistic perhaps 1/4's or semis depensing on the draw we get but hey its knock out so who knows
FA cup / league cup - I expect is to really push for these and play a strong team - I am hopeful we can get a trophy but again its knock out so anything can happen

i expect a lot of players to get injured and need rests - especially those that go to the euros so probably quite a few of the younger players gets more opportunities
Basically another season of building would be my expectation but with the hope that city stubmle, things click for us and somehow we pull off a surprise quadruple next year

Longer term with the talent we have coming through Im happy building a team for 2024 onwards so if the next couple of season involves signing a couple of players to fill holes in the squad, devleoping and integrating some of the younger talent and building an exciting young team thats fine for me.

theklr

For me personally
- At least 80 points in the league
- Proper league challenge
- Much better home form
- A trophy of some sort
- Have to get better at defending set pieces. Being the second worst in the league is simply unacceptable

Having a check list of "demands" is a bit daft, but any manager here has to show steady improvement
While I agree in principle, the points tally target always seems odd to me, its the end position thats the most important part.

If anything it should be the points gap to the title winner thats important.

With Sancho and a CB im expecting a title challenge (not more than 10 points off 1st) and quarter or semis in CL .

Really dont care about FA, League or EL trophy if this happens, except beside the fact that it might help the players progress further next year.

But in itself those trophies doesnt mean much for me.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
This isn't an ole in or out thread, im sure it will become that with level of hysteria.

I have enjoyed the Ole trip so far. We have taken steps forward, albeit too small steps for many fans, and if the summer is as bad as last our squad development is even slower.

Is the expectation next season that Ole wins the league or has to go? And if so, is this possible at all with citys quality and how little ambition the club shows in getting top players in?

Is there any circumstance where Ole makes another small step forward next season that people would be happy with. eg a CL semi final, 5 more points in the league? Does it depend on what extent he is backed this summer?

If you have your mind made up regardless or results and performances then this thread probably isnt for you
A Trophy is a must an absolute must, a proper challenge for the title (Dependant of Transfer Targets we Get), Better Home Record, CL Minimum Past L16 and better defensively and need to up the tempo in majority of games. Not to much to ask is it. But knowing us half our squad will come back injured from the Euros.

Crashoutcassius

While I agree in principle, the points tally target always seems odd to me, its the end position thats the most important part.

If anything it should be the points gap to the title winner thats important.

With Sancho and a CB im expecting a title challenge (not more than 10 points off 1st) and quarter or semis in CL .

Really dont care about FA, League or EL trophy if this happens, except beside the fact that it might help the players progress further next year.

But in itself those trophies doesnt mean much for me.
i think the idea of target points total is that you can't control what your opposition do, and you can measure progress season on season in points. it isn't perfect but it is more perfect than position i think, in terms of pure measurement of progress. if we get more points next season but city win every single game then we have still improved surely

Crashoutcassius

A Trophy is a must an absolute must, a proper challenge for the title (Dependant of Transfer Targets we Get), Better Home Record, CL Minimum Past L16 and better defensively and need to up the tempo in majority of games. Not to much to ask is it. But knowing us half our squad will come back injured from the Euros.
The euros and injuries are a real worry, we have had some injuries this season, pogba martial and maguire being the big ones, but on balance you could say we have been lucky with them the last 18 months

Stevondo8

Win something, be challenging for the title going into May (not just mathematically possible, actually in proper striking distance).

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
The euros and injuries are a real worry, we have had some injuries this season, pogba martial and maguire being the big ones, but on balance you could say we have been lucky with them the last 18 months
I know I really feel most of these lads need a absolute break especially Marcus the guy has been playing through injuries this season which isn't good. And yes I agree with the luck part our season crashed after Maguire was injured so buying an ACTUAL CB who can help Harry and remove Bailly/Lindelof is integral. But with the Glazers I aint holding my breath as guarantee they will screw us yet again.

Hughes35

on the whole did you feel this year the football was decent

i dont see the football changing a lot regardless of who we sign... it will just be more or less effective
Erm, in patches the football was decent. I think having basically nobody playing RW (Greenwood has been decent recently) most of the season has impacted the style of football a lot.

If we sign a Sancho and a midfielder, then the style of football should hopefully improve.

Judas

Open to offers
We had this thread literally a few days ago and its still too early to say. Until we know what our transfer business is, its impossible to really say with any sort of certainty.

If we bring in the 3-4 players we desperately need, its title challenge and a trophy. To be fair that should have been achieved this season and didn't happen, it would be the bare minimum if we improve the squad.

The football has to be more consistent too, we've been patchy for far too long.

largelyworried

Every season I want to see progress across the board. From Ole's first (partial) season to his second, we saw a lot of deadwood dropped and the skeleton outline of a new team emerge. From his second to his third season we became increasingly fun to watch, scored more regularly and had a fair few exciting games to boot. However, there are still some key problems in the team, which I think have to be addressed at this point.

- Defence is too porous. Realistically we need to be conceding a fair bit less than a goal a game. Fixing our problem at set-pieces should be the focus. We conceded 14 set-piece goals last season. Half that number and we're under a goal a game already.
- Controlled performances. Too many of our wins are helter-skelter comebacks. We need games where we start well, get the breakthrough early, score the second long before the end and ride it out comfortably. Yeah that's dull, but routine wins are the bedrock of a successful campaign.
- Learn to breakdown packed defences. Our Achilles heel is all too obvious. It certainly was to Villareal. If you sit back and defend in numbers against us, we struggle.
- Improve the bench. With Martial's poor form and injuries this season, the only time we had a decent looking bench was when Cavani wasn't ready to start. We need two or three first-team quality players to add competition and options to the first team, and to offer backup from the bench.

Do these without going backwards in other areas and we'll have a successful season.

ManRed

80-85 points
QF CL
Win FA Cup
Improve home form and set piece defending

KD6-3.7

To actually look like a cohesive team for an entire 90 minute match.

Lee565

Just another top 4 finish is all i expect with ole in charge with maybe a league cup win, the only threat to this is if Leicester strengthen well and keep rodgers as surely the experience of battling top 4 two seasons in a row will finally get them over the line at some point and also if the spurs/potchettino hit it off again like old times with kane staying and Ali rediscovering his old self.

Hughie77

Let's see how the transfer window goes, let's see if the Glazers put up? If were on there or there abouts same squad, then I'd say not much. Then the other teams if they strengthen we dont long long season

UpWithRivers

1) To figure out how to play against low block team
2) If Pogba stays figure out how we are going to play Pogba, Rashford and Bruno in the same team effectively. If this is in a double pivot then fine but Id like to see it work effectively
3) Figure out how to get a fully functioning midfield. We cant keep going with McFred
4) Figure out our defense. We really need to sort out conceding goals from set pieces. Zonal marking doesnt work. If he must persist with it then make it work effectively. Secondly if how do we play a high line. Thirdly how to get more WB to be more effective attacking wise.
5) Resolve the keeper situation.
6) Resolve in game management and squad rotation.
7) Improve Home form

Basically I want to look at United and know exactly what the strategy is. Like when you watch Liverpool and City. If we do all the above and have a functioning strategy then I think all the other hopes such as title challenge and winning something will happen. But Id rather 4th and win nothing if we can at least finally resolve all our questions regarding positions of players like Pogba and defending and midfield etc that just keeps going on and on and on.

Gator Nate

Before the summer window:
  • 85+ points
  • Serious league challenge
  • CL QF+
  • Domestic cup final

After the summer window:
  • 70+ points
  • Top 4
  • Advance from CL group
  • Decent cup run
:lol:

Yup. It doesn't matter who the manager is. The board will shape our expectations by the first day of the season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Who would have thought we’d be aiming for a top 4 finish and a “decent CL run” after the heroics of 1999. I know it was a different era, but like many on here, I’ve been a United fan for over 30 years and it’s still hard to swallow.

el3mel

Title fecking challenge up till April at least.

Anything else and I don't give a damn.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As has been said the time for this kind of thread is after we know what our team is going to look like next season. That being said, as much as I am a backer of Ole and I support everything he has done up to this point, he will probably not be able to survive a third season without a trophy

Paul_Scholes18

Our goal should be to win the league title. Then win a cup if we can and go as far as possible in CL. It will not be easy, but we have a realistic chance to win something big.
If Pep reach 100 points then congrats and no fault with us if we get 90 points.

RedDevilzFox

the question is what should be the expectation for the season for Ole to keep his job, people said exactly what you said last year and got it fairly wrong, it was an uninteresting then as it is now.
How did they get fairly wrong? We are in top 4 but never were fighting for the league title. If anything, we got it bang on.

With Chelsea on the upswing and Liverpool likely to get it together, we would be fighting for top 4 again. That's hardly a controversial statement. Does anyone in their right mind think Ole can get the best of Pep/Klopp or even Tuchel even with squads remaining the same for everyone?