What are expectations for next season?

flappyjay

Totally depends on how Ole is backed in the market. If he gets at least 3 first team players that he believes are starters, then the pressure will be on to start delivering trophies.

Realistically though, finishing above any of City, Liverpool and Chelsea will take some doing next season, never mind finishing above them all.

I genuinely think Ole has over achieved with the squad we have and he deserves to be backed this summer. Sadly, I can't see him being given enough to compete and think there is a good chance next season will be his last.

Overall I expect the team will be battling at the end of the season to finish in the top 4 unless we have a mega window...
The final left a very poor taste in my mouth towards Ole that being said our only starter was Cavani last summer. Vdb despite not living up to expectations was always thought of as someone to come and give Bruno a challenge. The other teams in the top 4 signed players for their 1st 11. Liverpool with thiago and jota, Chelsea with Mendy, Werner and Ziyech. Finishing 2nd without a pre season and a weak summer window are a great accomplishment. If he gets 3 starters as you say and doesn't make significant strides it would be time to say goodbye.

CoopersDream

I think what's most important is more consistant performances, not looking like wold beaters one day and a team that barely played together next day. Improving our home form is a given, but I can't see that not happening. I want to say that we should challange for the league, but I don't think we're there yet. I also think both Chelsea and Liverpool are gonna improve next season, so it might get tough to get as high a league finish as this season, but I'm happy as long as performances improve.

In the Champions League we should aim for at least QF, but depending on who we draw I guess a R16 exit wouldn't be too bad. Just get out of the group, and then I think we could be hard to handle for any time really.

Would be nice to win a domestic cup, any of the two really.

Dve

This isn't an ole in or out thread, im sure it will become that with level of hysteria.

I have enjoyed the Ole trip so far. We have taken steps forward, albeit too small steps for many fans, and if the summer is as bad as last our squad development is even slower.

Is the expectation next season that Ole wins the league or has to go? And if so, is this possible at all with citys quality and how little ambition the club shows in getting top players in?

Is there any circumstance where Ole makes another small step forward next season that people would be happy with. eg a CL semi final, 5 more points in the league? Does it depend on what extent he is backed this summer?

If you have your mind made up regardless or results and performances then this thread probably isnt for you
My expectations will reflect the summer transfers, I suppose. If we were going into the next season with the same squad - just one year older - I expect us to do a little better and drop less points in the league. The cups are difficult ones, as we know, everything can happen in these matches. Chelsea are probably not the best team in the world.

francobaresi

My expectation is that we will be fighting for 4th place with the likes of West Ham, Spurs (depending on Kane and new manager), and Leicester

Idxomer

CL QF or SF depending on the draw.

80+ points in the league.

A final in one of the cups.

That should be the target for a United manager in his 3rd full season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Expectations as always for a
Club of our stature are: strong challenge for titles and trophies. At least look like we are a team that is competing with the best in terms of style. We look far off the pace compared to City and others.

My own expectations are low. We’ll still be sporadically brilliant and spasmodically shite

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Bare minimum win the league, anything else is a bonus, if you don’t win league seasons been a failure,

for a club like Man Utd should always be this no matter what.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It doesn't matter what happens in the transfer window. I want to see a United team that shows a consistency to play a structured brand of offensive football, with high intensity, movement between the lines, whilst maintaining a defensive balance. If he succeeds in doing so, then I'm convinced we'll have a good season without even making a signing. But if he fails, then the likes of Sancho, Kane etc won't be enough. I hope we then relieve him of his duties in a amicable manner for the good of the club and bring someone else in, who has a high level understanding of structural play both defensively and offensively.

Champagne Football

If we can get top 4, quarter finals of champions league, while Garner, Diallo and Mejbri start to make their mark, then I'll take that.

Would like to see Sancho and a top young central defender come in. Maybe Sven Botman or Nathan Collins.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Depends who we buy in the summer. If we get Ronaldo plus a CB, then I expect us to challenge for every trophy.

Marcus

Sancho and a reliable centre-back to partner Maguire and we should be contending for the title.

Bondi77

If we can get top 4, quarter finals of champions league, while Garner, Diallo and Mejbri start to make their mark, then I'll take that.

Would like to see Sancho and a top young central defender come in. Maybe Sven Botman or Nathan Collins.
Have you seen Botman play?
From what I have seen he makes Matic look like an Olympic sprinter.

gajender

If we get a CDM, RW and CB ready to go straight into the team then I want nothing less than a proper title challenge which sustains itself till last few weeks of the season atleast along with deep run in CL anything less Solskjaer needs to go.
Domestic cups would be nice bonus but Solskjaer should be solely judged on how we do in PL and CL only.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If we finish with 75+ points and advance to the knockout stages of the UCL, we’ll have progressed year over year. That’s all we can ask for.
Come on. I have been backing Ole, but we have to be asking for more than that. If we had gotten 75 points next season and knocked out in the first KO round then i would hardly call that progress

wolvored

The expectations should be a title challenge. Going into the last 2 matches with 3 points making a difference between 1st 2nd maybe 3rd. Winning a trophy, any trophy is the minimum expectation.
The reality is we will probably scrap for 3rd 4th place and maybe hit 80+ points. The trophy will probably elude us again.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I would expect at the very least for our upward trend to continue and for us to have a proper tilt at the league title, even if we came second again with tighter margins. However, this largely depends on our summer transfer business, would be silly to expect more from our current squad without some major upgrades to RW, CB and MF.

Alfie092

Depends on ours and other teams (primarily City, Chelsea and Liverpool's) summer transfer window.

If they all strengthen significantly more than us then we would do good to get 3rd. I would then just want to show:

1. A more consistent style of attacking football
2. Better defensively including set-pieces
3. Improved home form
4. Points tally of around 75-80 points
5. Challenge for a domestic cup

For me the above is not good enough and represents another failure of a season, unless we do win a trophy, which at this moment in time do not have any faith in us doing it.

However, if we have a better transfer window than our rivals and strength in our key areas like on the wing, midfield and defence then my expectations would be higher:

1. A more consistent style of attacking football - feel we play good attacking football moments in game but not consistently enough for a sequence of games.
2. Better defensively including set-pieces - if I am not mistaken we are one of the worst teams in the league defending set-pieces
3. Improved home form - while maintaining a good away record. Our unbeaten away record counts for nothing if you'r drawing and losing a large amount of your home games. We should have gained an additional 10 points from home games this season.
4. Points tally of around 80 - 85 points - this may not be enough to win the league but it would be a tally close enough to challenge for the league hopefully.
5. At least the quarterfinals/semifinals of the CL. Unless we get one of the top dogs in the last 16, getting to the last 8 should be the absolute minimum.
6. Must win at least 1 trophy, whether it's the FA Cup or the League Cup. That could be a stepping stone for bigger things to come. If we don't win a trophy it would mean we have to wait 6 years at the very least before we win a trophy again and questions then have to be asked surely.

wise_old_man

So let me get this right, you think that if we don't strengthen but all the teams around us who are arguably already better do, we should still expect to finish 1st & win trophies etc?
In this case, I'd prefer a mass boycott/protest like what the fans did this season before the Liverpool match. Make United cannot play any Home matches until the Glazers cannot stand it anymore and sell the club. No more compromise or "communication", but full-blown war between us fans and them.

Seriously, all our rivals strengthen and we don't because the owners penny-pinch again this summer would be past the point of no-return for me. And I believe many others share this view as well.

PFC

If we get a starter RW and CB in summer and maybe CDM in January transfer and all our first team players come back fit and no loss of form from Euros, then my expectations are atleast one domestic cup, strong showing in CL (i.e. atleast till quarter final of CL), and to be nearer to the top in league campaign.

I enjoyed this season with few fruetrating moments/ results. I am excited to see whether we can continue with our progress which we have shown this season into the new season. And hoping it will be an entertaining season back with fans. All those comebacks we made would have been awesome with fans in the background

Flexdegea

Been saying all along. This is the season we need a proper league challenge or win it. It's Not a black and white issue totally, as we need to see do they invest in the squad, can't be expecting serious chellange if we go in with same sqaud, which in my opinion it still has big holes, you be mad to think it should be walking the league ahead of the likes of city.

We have defo progressed in the league. No doubt about it. Improved year on year. At some stages last season we looked a proper team. Too inconstent at times too.

I also so a lot of self loathing fans about at the moment, absolute sh#t houses, Already panicking about Leicester and even spurs, already putting every other club ahead of us before a ball is even kicked. I don't get it, why the absolute negativity. We lost same amount of games as city last season in the league. Unbeaten away all season, scored a lot of goals. We aren't trash, compared to a lot of times in the last 8 years when it comes to the league. Actually the most consistent we been In the league these last 2 seasons.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Ole in.
Give me a RW, a better CB, and put James Gardner in the CM for rotation should be a fine addition. Vdb will be better and Martial should be fitter.

Tighter defence, more fluid attack and the title can be ours when we learn to beat the lower teams who do nothing but stop us playing and defend our attacking play. Wankers.

DoomSlayer

Realistically, my expectations are a fight for the top 4 and decent performance in the cups, though not winning any trophy.

Optimally though, we should challenge on all fronts. We also should win a big trophy, we must. But it won't happen.

prin

Have not been on here for a while but you lot need to take a long hard look at yourselves. Sound like a load of whipped dogs.. Talk about lowering standards.. 4th place...75 points..a cup..any cup... this is Man Utd we are talking about, clearly, anybody can see starting point for a good season next year is to remove Ole, he is incompetent (leaving Fred on vs. PSG did it for me), all this progress talk has been shown for the nonsense it is... at this rate we won’t challenge for another 10 years.. I would go nuts deeps for Conte or Zidane, proven, current and relevant.. God, I would even take Rodgers, he is a better manager..maybe then fans expectations for the season ahead would be League and Champions League... now, not in 3, 5, 10 years..

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
expectations should be win every possible trophy

realistically it’ll be 4th place and a cup run.

SAFMUTD

My demands are that we improve on specifics, that the coaching staff shows they can solve problems such as set pieces both on defense and attack, play out from the back as a block under pressure, patterns of play in attack against low block, impose our style against top opposition please no more underdog mentality and aim for the 0-0.

I think those four are the most concerning problems.

Then after that a close challenge for the title at least, I don't care if we are second, third or fourth but by close challenge I mean end up no further than 5 points from the leader.

Now being realistic about the squad quality and the management we got I think we'll be around the same than this season. Comfortable top 4, not really challenging for the title and with the same old problems we've struggled with since 2-3 years ago.

Ole has taken this group as far it can go. 2nd in the league and coming close in the cups, we just need that bit of class to take us the next step.

If the Glazers back Ole and he can get 3 really good signings then I expect a serious title challenge and some silverware.

Without investment United will slump to a battle for 4th. Because City, Chelsea and Liverpool will all improve against and United can't expect peogress without matching other club's ambition.

Raveneye

Then this season gone must have exceeded your expectations ....because Cavani apart we shouldn't have been anywhere near top
Absolutely. The sheer number of comeback wins, the lack of preseason, the fact that our "best" signing was a player who didn't fit neatly into Ole's system but could perhaps play as an 8 in the pivot...yeah. Cavani had been injury-ravaged for years and consigned to play out of position by PSG. Signing him on a free transfer was a reasonable punt for a once world class striker but I had zero expectations coming in. Diallo was always going to need bulking up. Telles was someone who could push Shaw if he ran out of form, but I feel he doesn't suit what Ole needs from a leftback as much as Reguilon would have (Telles is lacking in defensive solidity and dynamism).

If we have a bad summer I think both Manchester City and Chelsea will finish above us. I think Liverpool are on a downward trajectory with an aging squad myself and we have what it takes to take third from them, but a title push will require serious investment.

atomic keane

I see a title challenge next season I guess we will probably fall short at the end
but will comfortably be in the top 3.
CL QF are my expectations. Would like not to be trounced but actually give any team a hard game to win.
Domestic Cups whatever.

Opposition:
I still see City as the strongest team in the league, first team=Strongest
Pool who have just had there dead cat bounce I think will have to start rebuilding!
Top 4
Chelsea look like a real cup team I think it’s 50/50 title challenge or hanging on to top 4
Leicester again will challenge for top4