What are expectations for next season?

GueRed

If Ole isnt backed and it's another Fred, Dalot and Grant summer?

4th will be deemed success.

BFernandes

A sustained title challenge. Not expecting to win, but a decent attempt would be nice.

If we're top of the table in January, I don't want to hear any of this "we're not in a title race, we're not challengers" bollocks that we heard from Ole last season.

28gunsalute

A sustained title challenge. Not expecting to win, but a decent attempt would be nice.

If we're top of the table in January, I don't want to hear any of this "we're not in a title race, we're not challengers" bollocks that we heard from Ole last season.
Yes I agree, Ole knew we weren't good enough to win the title but to say it was embarrassing.
If we get the required players in and the dross shipped out then I'm expecting a title win, possible fa cup win and a at least quarter finals in the champions league as well.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Too early to say. I mean if city go out this summer and spend 200+ on the likes of Kane and Grealish then can we really be expected to challenge? This is a conversation for the end of August. Too many unknowns.

San Diego Red

With Varane, Sancho, Rice I would expect 81-85 points depending on injuries and cup runs.
With Sancho plus 2 no names I would think 75-80 points
And -5 points if we lose Pogba and don’t replace him.
So I think it’s probably gone be 79 points this year probably finish 3rd.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Whatever we do or don't do in the transfer window, it has to be about progression.
Winning more matches, scoring more, more points and hopefully actually winning a competition.
That means every single person at the club has to improve.

Football is a results business. Unless you are moving forward, you are going backward.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Well if Chelsea can win the CL this season we can do it next season. The field is wide open, everyone must be licking their lips to see Real falter and Messi get older.

i don’t think we can win the league without significant improvement. We just need to strengthen, get a top player in somewhere we don’t have one already.

Valencia Shin Crosses

All depends on our transfers this summer.

We have clear holes at RW, DM, and CB. These three positions being filled with quality will transform how we are able to play instead of working around it. We all know the names we're linked to, I'm not going to go through them again. But 2/3 positions would be a solid summer and more my expectation. 3/3 I'd expect to challenge for all the trophies, and only 1 or 0 would be a disaster.

If we sign none of our top targets then top 4 and maybe a knockout round win in the UCL is about all I can ask for, but good god that would be dark after the progress we made this year.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Whatever we do or don't do in the transfer window, it has to be about progression.
Winning more matches, scoring more, more points and hopefully actually winning a competition.
That means every single person at the club has to improve.

Football is a results business. Unless you are moving forward, you are going backward.
I agree, but you can't expect meaningful improvement if we shit the bed in our transfer dealings while other teams improve.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree, but you can't expect meaningful improvement if we shit the bed in our transfer dealings while other teams improve.
Of course. But nobody can say that none of the players cannot be improved and that the team as a whole cannot improve by a reasonable margin.
The standard of coaching is far from good and has to improve significantly.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
I think that the Carabou Cup is a realistic objective for us. I don’t think City, Chelsea or Liverpool will take it that seriously next season. Of the rest Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester will only fire up if they reach the latter rounds. Getting back into winning trophies is crucial for the club, so let’s concentrate on one that we could feasibly win.

28gunsalute

I think that the Carabou Cup is a realistic objective for us. I don’t think City, Chelsea or Liverpool will take it that seriously next season. Of the rest Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester will only fire up if they reach the latter rounds. Getting back into winning trophies is crucial for the club, so let’s concentrate on one that we could feasibly win.
I'd rather not win that 3 handled micky mouse cup it would be embarrassing for a club of our size, stature and expenditure, no thanks.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Unfortunately, this is where we are these days. We’ve won nothing for 4 years. The days of thinking that the Carabou Cup is ‘beneath us’ are long gone. I’d much rather win that than the Europa League, which is a real embarrassment to be in, never mind win.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Personally,

I would way rather have that we really work on playing in a more attractive, creative, dominant, fluid manner with pressure forwards and end on #4 end of year than continuing the way we did, scrapping wins based purely on a moment of individual class, and ending #2 again..

justsomebloke

From where we are right now, a top 4 finish. Beyond that, it's all a question of what happens in the transfer window, which could push it all the way to title challenge. But let's see.

justsomebloke

I think that's a pointless parameter for success. Nice, but essentially beside the point. The target we should be totally focused on is getting back to winning the PL. If we're closer to that next season than we've been up to now, that's far far more important than any cup.

Houdini

Title of course. We should always aim for that. That's why you play football.

justsomebloke

Title of course. We should always aim for that. That's why you play football.
Yeah sure, and I always aim to win the lottery. That's why you buy a ticket. :)

What you say is true, but it doesn't really say much does it. It's as true for Burnley as it is for Manchester United.

Then there's a difference between expectations and aims. A meaningful aim has to be above reasonable expectation, but not so high that it's not really attainable even if several things go better than you'd anticipated.

Kopral Jono

I don't think I can answer this question right now. With the right signings we could win the European Cup and also challenge for the title, why not, but if we feck things up this summer top four and a trophy would be an achievement.

Knowing how we roll we'll probably end up somewhere in between. The Glazers get their marquee signing to appease the fans but one that doesn't address our fundamental issues, we finish second or third in the league, quarterfinalists in the Champions League and a trophy in the FA Cup or the League Cup if we're lucky. I'd take that, but there's no denying that this is a rut which unfortunately we've fallen into big time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Want:

A decent title run
FA Cup win
SF+ in UCL (Unless we face one of the big boys in the QF like Bayern)

Expect:

Top 4 finish
FA Cup finalist
QF exit in UCL to a mid tier team

justsomebloke

True but we should have the highest expectations as well. Just like Fergie had. We are Man United.
So what? What does that even actually mean? "Being Man United" isn't worth a single point in the standings, and there will be no angels descending from the sky to gift us advantages. We were the best club under Fergie because we were better run than everyone else. That hasn't been the case for a good while, although things are now improving. We're going to have to earn our success the hard way, just like everyone else and just like under Fergie in fact.

If you're serious about winning, you also need to be serious about acknowledging what that actually takes, and about where we are relative to that. We have serious catching up to do before we can claim to be a top quality club in every department and compared to anyone. We're not entitled to high expectations simply because we're Man United.

Without any useful signings (that improve the first XI): 80 points in the league, which should be good for 3rd or thereabouts. CL quarters, decent cup run.

With two or three first XI reinforcements: 85+ points in the league, at least be within touching distance of the winners. A first CL semifinal in a decade would be lovely too \M/

United Irishman

So what? What does that even actually mean? "Being Man United" isn't worth a single point in the standings, and there will be no angels descending from the sky to gift us advantages. We were the best club under Fergie because we were better run than everyone else. That hasn't been the case for a good while, although things are now improving. We're going to have to earn our success the hard way, just like everyone else and just like under Fergie in fact.

If you're serious about winning, you also need to be serious about acknowledging what that actually takes, and about where we are relative to that. We have serious catching up to do before we can claim to be a top quality club in every department and compared to anyone. We're not entitled to high expectations simply because we're Man United.
Absolutely spot on. Careful though, some in this thread will come after you for not living in a dream world.

RedMilo

Depends largely on recruitment and also Ole being honest with himself about how he is going to get there, as he is going to have to make some really tough decisions.

I expect DDG to depart this summer, you can't have a GK on nearly £300k per week and not play him, and I think Henderson is the way the club will go long term. Expect Tom Heaton to come in and Henderson promoted to No.1.

In defence, you have got to say AWB is a great tackler but is positionally suspect at times, and doesn't produce enough in final third, although he has improved in 2nd half of the season, he is still not Utd quality in some fundamental ways.

Bailly being given a new contract is bizarre, clearly Ole doesn't trust him, as he persists with Lindelof, despite Bailly being a more quicker/aggressive defender. Lindelof has not one redeeming quality, he is not quick, relatively average in the air for a centre half, he is not aggressive, and he does nowhere near enough with the ball at his feet either. Maguire getting injured at the end of the season shows how reliant we are on him. At left back we look strong, Luke Shaw just had his best season for us and Alex Telles is more than an able deputy. We need a RB and CB this summer - if speculation is true then would be happy with Trippier & Varane, this would give us arguably the best defence in the league.

Midfield is functional at the moment, is the word I would use to describe it. McFred partnership work well together, positionally McT still lacks some top quality and he doesn't sense danger like a Robson or a Keane would but I am comparing him to two of our greatest midfielders but that is the level we need to aspire to be at. Fred's work rate is insane and this makes up for deficiency in games, but his lack of awareness puts him in trouble at times. Expect Matic to depart this summer, if reports are true that Roma want him. Garner has just had a good 2nd half of the season on loan at Forest, so would be keen to know whether we intend to bring him back into the fold, as the transfer budget will only stretch so far, but longer term would like to see us for move for Bellingham, next summer.

In attacking midfield, I would have thought Mata would leave this summer but it seems they are still talking to him about a new contract, which again is bizarre, as he hardly ever plays and must be on a decent whack. We really need to pin Pogba down for a decision on his future, is he signs a contract extension then it answers a number of shorter term concerns regarding creativity in the team, if he doesn't commit then we need to move him on this summer and pay what it takes to get Grealish in the door, as you cannot rely solely on Bruno for creativity as good as he is. If Sancho comes in, then a loan for James may be good option, as would rather Amad get game time from the bench at this stage.

In attack, this is slightly controversial but I would move on either Rashford or Martial this summer or both, if it meant getting Haaland or Kane. Cavani signing is great but he aint going to play more than 30 games next season at his age, so we really need a top quality striker to play upfront longer terms with Greenwood.

IN SUMMARY AN IDEAL SUMMER WOULD BE :-

OUT - DDG, Williams (Loan), Lindelof, Axel (Loan), Mata, Matic, James (Loan), Pogba(If no contract extension), Martial OR Rashford

IN - Heaton, Trippier, Varane, Sancho, Grealish(if Pogba leaves), Kane OR Haaland

On returning loan players, would be happy to give chance to Laird, Mengi, Garner, Chong all a squad chance.

RedMilo

Depends largely on recruitment and also Ole being honest with himself about how he is going to get there, as he is going to have to make some really tough decisions.

I expect DDG to depart this summer, you can't have a GK on nearly £300k per week and not play him, and I think Henderson is the way the club will go long term. Expect Tom Heaton to come in and Henderson promoted to No.1.

In defence, you have got to say AWB is a great tackler but is positionally suspect at times, and doesn't produce enough in final third, although he has improved in 2nd half of the season, he is still not Utd quality in some fundamental ways.

Bailly being given a new contract is bizarre, clearly Ole doesn't trust him, as he persists with Lindelof, despite Bailly being a more quicker/aggressive defender. Lindelof has not one redeeming quality, he is not quick, relatively average in the air for a centre half, he is not aggressive, and he does nowhere near enough with the ball at his feet either. Maguire getting injured at the end of the season shows how reliant we are on him. At left back we look strong, Luke Shaw just had his best season for us and Alex Telles is more than an able deputy. We need a RB and CB this summer - if speculation is true then would be happy with Trippier & Varane, this would give us arguably the best defence in the league.

Midfield is functional at the moment, is the word I would use to describe it. McFred partnership work well together, positionally McT still lacks some top quality and he doesn't sense danger like a Robson or a Keane would but I am comparing him to two of our greatest midfielders but that is the level we need to aspire to be at. Fred's work rate is insane and this makes up for deficiency in games, but his lack of awareness puts him in trouble at times. Expect Matic to depart this summer, if reports are true that Roma want him. Garner has just had a good 2nd half of the season on loan at Forest, so would be keen to know whether we intend to bring him back into the fold, as the transfer budget will only stretch so far, but longer term would like to see us for move for Bellingham, next summer.

In attacking midfield, I would have thought Mata would leave this summer but it seems they are still talking to him about a new contract, which again is bizarre, as he hardly ever plays and must be on a decent whack. We really need to pin Pogba down for a decision on his future, is he signs a contract extension then it answers a number of shorter term concerns regarding creativity in the team, if he doesn't commit then we need to move him on this summer and pay what it takes to get Grealish in the door, as you cannot rely solely on Bruno for creativity as good as he is. If Sancho comes in, then a loan for James may be good option, as would rather Amad get game time from the bench at this stage.

In attack, this is slightly controversial but I would move on either Rashford or Martial this summer or both, if it meant getting Haaland or Kane. Cavani signing is great but he aint going to play more than 30 games next season at his age, so we really need a top quality striker to play upfront longer terms with Greenwood.

IN SUMMARY AN IDEAL SUMMER WOULD BE :-

OUT - DDG, Williams (Loan), Lindelof, Axel (Loan), Mata, Matic, James (Loan), Pogba(If no contract extension), Martial OR Rashford

IN - Heaton, Trippier, Varane, Sancho, Grealish(if Pogba leaves), Kane OR Haaland

On returning loan players, would be happy to give chance to Laird, Mengi, Garner, Chong all a squad chance.
By the way, we have really good chance of winning the league if the above happens in my opinion...

Greck

By the way, we have really good chance of winning the league if the above happens in my opinion...
Heaton, Trippier, Varane, Sancho, Kane OR Haaland

Surely you don't really believe a club can buy all of the listed players, or was the hyperbole the point? That's a transfer list straight out of a videogame

28gunsalute

Henderson isn't good enough to be our number 1. Lindelof and Bailly are not good enough to be our centre halves.
We desperately need a world class centre half to partner Maguire and a world class centre forward to turn chances into goals. I like eddi but at his age he's just a back up. We need someone creative in midfield too, Fred n McT are just runner.

Stormrage101MUFC

If we spend around £200 million this summer as is being touted, then we have to win the league. We just have to.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
With Trippier and Sancho (not necessarily the two players/positions I'd choose to get), a strong right flank (as good/better than the left has been) and hopefully faster football... we haven't got the players to play slow tempo, pass across the pitch football.

Without a Def mid or top Ch though, 2nd and a trophy still best we could hope for.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
True but we should have the highest expectations as well. Just like Fergie had. We are Man United.
I know what you mean but there's no "like Fergie" in any sense, he's a one off.

We had SAF... we won... we attracted top players (for the manager and the trophies)... we won... we attracted top players, etc etc. Hess they wanted to pay at a big club and I'm sure the salary was good but SAF/trophies were the bigger reason.

When he went, that ability to get most of the players we wanted (sometimes whether the selling club wanted to or not), went. We can have those expectations as much as we want (so do other clubs and TV income has meant lots of clubs can compete with us) but it'll make no difference .... unless we pay ridiculous fees/wages , which we already know causes huge issues and I'd be against.

For some players "we are Man United" will make a difference but not the top top ones. 15 years ago, a Haaland would've been ours but not know, he knows it's a short career and if he's got options, he'll go where the trophies are. Can't blame him.

RedMilo

Heaton, Trippier, Varane, Sancho, Kane OR Haaland

Surely you don't really believe a club can buy all of the listed players, or was the hyperbole the point? That's a transfer list straight out of a videogame
Do I expect us to sign all these players - 100% NO. The main reason for thinking this is that we aren't good at selling players that we need to move on, we could get sizeable fees for DDG, Pogba, Martial, Lingard & Rashford, then potentially you would have the funds to make this happen but he wont make wholesale changes,

I think we will probably get max 2 or 3 out of the 5 at most, and this will be enough to keep us in the top 4 but as for a title challenge, I doubt it. I think Kane & Grealish will end up at City and we'll be left reminiscing how good we used to be the 90's, when we weren't in their debt...

Ludens the Red

Come again :lol:

They fecking live for the league Cup.

McTerminator

Without proper backing (top targets not just money spent) then top 4 and a trophy.

with a proper summer, title challenge and a trophy.

those expectations are a credit to the work Ole has done, but he must now do more.

Wing Attack Plan R

If we spend around £200 million this summer as is being touted, then we have to win the league. We just have to.
Our immediate rivals will also be spending at least £200 million, which would mean we are merely keeping status quo with - not surpassing - our rivals. If our signings are markedly better than City's signings, then we narrow the gap. The real way to look at it is, we need to spend £100 million more than City if we hope to catch them, and even then it would require all our signings to be immediate hits.

Wing Attack Plan R

Carabou Cup is a joke. When we are in it we should be playing the kids anyway. If winning the Carabou Cup is suddenly considered a big deal for United, that's shocking.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Carabou Cup is a joke. When we are in it we should be playing the kids anyway. If winning the Carabou Cup is suddenly considered a big deal for United, that's shocking.
We haven't won a single trophy for 4 years!! We are in no position to be picky about which cups/competitions we should take seriously.