What are expectations for next season?

yamo123x

At this moment in time i have quite low expectations ahead of the new season.

I think OGS lacks intensity and a winning mentality and this manifests itself in inconsistent performances from his players.
Last year we were lucky to finish second, Chelsea and Liverpool will be stronger next year too.

We have to invest heavily in our first XI to compete and i dont think we will. i DONT trust Ed and Glazers in the market, never have done.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Exactly. The constant downgrading and underrating our players just needs to stop. We’ve seen them perform well in stints, we’ve seen them be much better in national team setups…I don’t get why the caf isn’t United in thinking we should put up some kind of title fight, at least to be in the running until the last few games of a season, especially with Sancho looking likely.
What have you seen them be much better in national team set up that I don't see?

Bruno doesn't score goals & assists enough in national team. The opposite at United.
Pogba performed vs Germany but didn't perform vs Hungary. Same up and down at United.
Rashford couldn't get starting spot over the two City players. Rashford been United one of the most productive player.
Fred & Shaw finally joined national team for first time after many years thanks to their performance at United.
Cavani couldn't score in Uruguay in this Copa America so far. He's United's 3rd top scorer despite of small number of minutes he played.
DDG & Henderson are not first choice keeper in their national team. And those two are United two best keepers.
Martial, Bissaka & Greenwood couldn't get into national team. And those three are one of United regular players.
VDB was never regular starter in national team.

He must be backed by at least 2 or 3 ''top class'' signings (CB, Midfield, Attacker) to upgrade the XI if we want to talk about challenging the league. The current squad hasn't shown a sign that they have been much better in national team setups.

Offsideagain

Actually going back to this - Ole's getting back to our roots type of management is refreshing. I admire the way we are trying to bring players through the academy, pick up great young talent and develope them. If we can get shot of Pogba, De Gea, Martial, Jones - we'll be £900+k a week better off. But what good does that do in the long run - the Glazers will just take bigger dividends. True some players are mercenarys but so are some owners. With these Glazers in charge ripping the stuffing out of the club then maybe if affects who we can attract as players. Right now we are not a great bet for trophies so we have to pay extra to get the top talent. You are in effect joining a club that is a season or two from the league, so all you can expect is a cup and it wont be the European one. Sad but true unfortunately. But it was like that for a long time before fergie led us to the promised land.It'll turn round, eventually those arabs up the road will run out of oil and then what will Citeh do!
The Oil will run out eventually yes, but it may be a couple of hundred years before it does. It won’t matter because they have more money than anyone can count. Imagine if FFP didn’t exist, City would just stroll into Dortmund with a container full of money and buy Haaland for £2 or 300 million. Small change to them, crap business sense as they would make a loss every year which the sheik would make up, and probably does anyway via the other clubs in the City football group. Prices would rocket and only City, Chelsea, PSG and maybe United could compete. City haven’t spent more than £65m on one player or thereabouts, so it’s about picking the right player for the right money. As soon as United show up, a premium is added to the transfer fee and we usually don’t pay it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Is it too early to start thinking about what the expectations once Sancho is confirmed and if we get Varane?

tomaldinho1

The Oil will run out eventually yes, but it may be a couple of hundred years before it does. It won’t matter because they have more money than anyone can count. Imagine if FFP didn’t exist, City would just stroll into Dortmund with a container full of money and buy Haaland for £2 or 300 million. Small change to them, crap business sense as they would make a loss every year which the sheik would make up, and probably does anyway via the other clubs in the City football group. Prices would rocket and only City, Chelsea, PSG and maybe United could compete. City haven’t spent more than £65m on one player or thereabouts, so it’s about picking the right player for the right money. As soon as United show up, a premium is added to the transfer fee and we usually don’t pay it.
Wait until the next set of leaks...

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I don’t *think* you’ll win the league but you’re still about 10/1 with the bookies to do so, which I think is a pretty good value bet.
I certainly wouldn’t want to put money on Man City at 4/6, I don’t think anyone should ever be odds on given the strength of the top 4 in general.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Varane is buckling in, Bubz. We've got him. Dream until you can't dream no more. This is how it was always supposed to be.
Anyone else think it’s odd that RM would accept losing Ramos and Varane in the same season? That’s the only thing that makes me a bit doubtful.

Camilo

There needs to be a proper title challenge this season. If we plod to 2nd or lower, similar to this season, then Ole should be let go.

He's done well, but he's got a squad full of quality; time to win. Saying we need a defender and a midfielder is just nonsense - no other team is the finished article. We're not looking for a perfect team, we're looking to win.

izec

Next step is Title challenge and a trophy. If we get in Sancho, Varane plus a midfielder. Otherwise it would be stagnation or going backwards.

Ole got plenty of time and quality now, the excuses are not working anymore.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With Sancho and Varane? Has to be a trophy with a big improvement in the league too. I don't think we can truly challenge City without a defensive midfielder though. Add a holding midfielder who will sit and control everything and I think we can rightfully expect serious challenges for everything, never being "outclassed". People can lose games, but if we fix those 3 spots than we shouldn't be outplayed by anyone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There needs to be a proper title challenge this season. If we plod to 2nd or lower, similar to this season, then Ole should be let go.

He's done well, but he's got a squad full of quality; time to win. Saying we need a defender and a midfielder is just nonsense - no other team is the finished article. We're not looking for a perfect team, we're looking to win.
I mean City is a lot more complete than us, has Pep, and might get Kane and or Grealish. It's not reasonable to expect a title win if we have an inferior team and squad as well as Ole vs Pep. Get Varane, Sancho and a defensive midfielder then sure. But until then, we realistically won't challenge. Just like Liverpool didn't challenge until they bought Allisson, Van Dijk AND Fabinho. Wasn't just 1 of the 3.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If we get Varane & Sancho and keep Pogba then a title challenge has to happen (injuries permitting)

Matthew84!

Hmm well ideally I'd get another like at some point in the season so I can post in the general forum, oh you mean for Man Utd.

Minimum would be top 4 and perhaps getting to another final.

If we get the right targets in (which no of us know of yet who we may end up with) I'd like to see Utd push for the title and I think if we can finish second again but by only a few points that would be progress.

jesperjaap

Personally, if you look at last season, after the first couple fo months, the results were generally very good, 2nd place was very good and we reached a final. I think performance wise we werent great though individually or collectively. Fernandes was player fo the season despite being pretty poor for the last 1/3 of the season, so was Rashford, VDB and Martial were anomynous, Maguire really performed only in the second half of the season. Th epositives for me were Bissaka continuing to progress, Shaws excellent season and Cavani showing the quality he still has.

But even with the players we add, am I confident we can win the league or reach a chmopns league final....no, I think similar finsihes to last season would still be good, what I do want to see though is the performances reach a level where we are ready to challenge, despite progress that is still missing consitently for me.....partly because of holes in the side, which these new signings should elp with a lot

Brightonian

Target: win one of the big two. League or CL.
Minimum: genuine title challenge (finish within 5 of the champions, or something of that ilk), and win a cup.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Anyone else think it’s odd that RM would accept losing Ramos and Varane in the same season? That’s the only thing that makes me a bit doubtful.
They're desperate to keep Varane but don't have the money.

Mr Smith

Wow, people hace really been burnt by our previous dealings with Real. They're broke. They're trying to offload high earners. Not as bad as Barca, but still bad. And they actually have decent cover at CB with Alaba, Militao, and Nacho.

Back to expectations, i really think a serious title challenge is a minimum expectation. We should expect to stay in it for the majority of the season. I really think anything else is not good enough with the squad we have.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Too soon to say. A crap team can suddenly gel and win the league. You never know

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
1 - Make his bleeding subs on time, to have a larger pool of players on form and not utterly exhausted in the business end of the season.

2 - Won something to keep the players motivated to stay in the club and to attract the best of future incoming players.

3 - Smash Leicester, we owe them a proper good pasting. Spurs for their 1-6, well their punishment is their annual mediocrity. The loss of their best players and continuation of their feeder club status.. #NelsonHaha!!

4 - The defence MUST BE IMPROVED!!. We had a few unfortunate draws which cost us vital points at the margin. This kinda ties into point 1 I made..

AndrewMac

It has to be a proper challenge for the league. Nothing less would be acceptable.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Same expectations United have always had before Ole began the process of arsenifiying the standard expectations.

Win the league and the champions league is the expectations. Winning any trophy and top four is minimum expectations.

cyberman

Same expectations United have always had before Ole began the process of arsenifiying the standard expectations.

Win the league and the champions league is the expectations. Winning any trophy and top four is minimum expectations.
We call that Pochetinoed around here mate

Chairman Woodie

I would like to see four improvements next season:

1. An improved home record to compliment the strong away record.

2. An improved defence. Particularly when defending set pieces.

3. Progressing from the CL group stages. Don't throw away qualification like United did last season.

4. Win a domestic trophy or trophies, preferably the PL title. CL is not a realistic target yet.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
If we actually get varane and trippier along with sancho, then anything other than a title challenge is not good enough

cyberman

Nah, Ole hasn't gotten to the champion league final or have a limited budget of less than £20m in a single season and have such a similiar trend continuing for 5 years. Doing a pochetino would be impossible for Ole.
Plus Ole hasnt been fired for losing the dressing room, not winning away from home for a year and having an abysmal big game record while getting sacked for taking a CL final team to mid table. Then goes and loses a league title to little old Lille
Impossible standards to live up to I'm sure.
Pochetinoed.

UnitedRepublic

We can win it all with the team that we have + Varane and a defensive midfielder that plays with high energy and has a focus on defending and just passing the ball to Pogba and Bruno then we can win it all. I still have my doubts about Ole being the right man when It comes to patterna of play and such.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Plus Ole hasnt been fired for losing the dressing room, not winning away from home for a year and having an abysmal big game record while getting sacked for taking a CL final team to mid table. Then goes and loses a league title to little old Lille
Impossible standards to live up to I'm sure.
Pochetinoed.
Yes because we know that Spurs are as big a club as Manchester United??? :). I am quite confident that Ole would accomplish that and much more without the resource he has at United. It is like comparing fine wine to Bellhaven Best.

While at psg, Pochettino already won two domestic cup and knocked out two of the best club in Europe in Barcelona and bayern. Ole got knocked out by little old Villarreal, Leipzig, and a team in turkey

lex talionis

Sancho, check. Varane, seems likely now. If we can keep a happy Pogba the trophy hunt is on.

ForeverRed1

Sancho, greenwood, rashford, Bruno, Cavani, martial, amad, James, maguire, shaw, varane, AWB, trippier, mctom, donny, pogba, Fred, mata, matic

Aside from the midfield that is a very very very elite squad.
There can’t be any excuses to not have a good season with that team if we manage to get sancho, varane and trippier over the line.

The midfield really does let us down, a world class CDM amongst that team and we’re look really decent.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
A much more robust challenge in everything. We will surely get one over the line next season and take it from there. If Chelsea can jam a CL then we can too. I think the league may still prove to be beyond us but at 8/1 I’ll be having a few quid. I feel we need to add our long term striker before this team goes into overdrive. I also have a bad hunch that we will be sorting out the total mess we’ve made of recruiting for the GK slot for the next few years and that will set us back slightly.

Camilo

I mean City is a lot more complete than us, has Pep, and might get Kane and or Grealish. It's not reasonable to expect a title win if we have an inferior team and squad as well as Ole vs Pep. Get Varane, Sancho and a defensive midfielder then sure. But until then, we realistically won't challenge. Just like Liverpool didn't challenge until they bought Allisson, Van Dijk AND Fabinho. Wasn't just 1 of the 3.
I just don't agree that city are more so much better.. More complete, in that they know how to win, sure, but man for man not so much. I've never rated that front 3 particularly highly - they're good players, nothing more. Sure, Kane would take them up a level. Same if he came here.

Enough with the excuses I think - we have to be competing now. We are plenty good enough on paper, and if Ole can't translate that to the pitch, replace him.

Rustyspider13

With Sancho and Varane/new CB, I hope for a title challenge that lasts into the latter stages of the season. We still need a midfielder to truly compete, but our attack is elite and that should count for something. CL quarters and deep cup runs should be a given.

In terms of overall play, I want us to stop regularly conceding from set pieces and find ways to attack when Bruno and Pogba are off their games. The addition of Ramsay and Sancho means that the coaches see the same problems so I'm hopeful of those problems being solved.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With Sancho, Varane and possibly Trippier and a CM, has to be a genuine title challenge...has to be. Or he should be sacked. What else can the board do for him?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’m quietly confident that we’ll make top four. 4th, specifically. That’s better than two seasons ago when I assumed Ole would manage to get us relegated.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s impossible to expect us to win the league when you have Pep with that City squad, I do however think we are capable of a proper title challenge next season though and it should be our record against City which decides the title.

This is assuming we get Varane and Trippier

SeanyC

I expect a title challenge this year, especially if we get the players we have been hearing about. City will be great again but won’t run away with it this time imo