What are expectations for next season?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
We could improve and still be battling for 4th, that's the problem.
Chelsea will be a big threat, City obviously, and those who wrote Liverpool off as finished, wilfully ignoring they had to play about 37 different combos at centre back will very likely be disappointed too.
If we get the players rumored no excuses to finish 4th.

Mylock

The expectation for next season is to win the league. I see the dynamic of the attack changing completely. By adding Sancho, we have top quality attackers on both wings. This will be the season that Greenwood is going to come of age, he's spent a year learning from cavani, and he's going to take over from him gradually; he has a few years still to hit his full potential. Still, I predict he'll be our number nine before the end of next season. With the attackers who are interchangeable, it's going to be an exciting year.
If, as expected, we sign Varane, we can play a defensive hi-line with the FB's pushing forward; there will be a far greater emphasis on pressing in the oppositions half as we won't have to cover the lack of pace in our CH's.
The key to all of the above working is for the midfield to gel. The DM roll will be crucial; the big question is, do we buy or have the player play the role? Maybe it is my heart ruling my head, but I could see Garner filling the roll, not perhaps full-time but been gradually integrated into the role, similar to Greenwood would be as the number nine. Another option could be Lindelof, as he has the game to play that role. Rice is a fine player but overpriced, and I can't see us buying him this summer.
Bruno will have to improve his ball retention and not try the Hollywood balls every time. The other key to the midfield is what is going to happen with pogba? If he stays, I can see him playing as a box to box midfielder. If he leaves, then I see Donny getting his chance.
I would also like to highlight that we have an abundance of talent coming through at the moment that is itching to get the opportunity to play. The key to integrating youth players into the team is to have an experienced backbone. At last, we seem to be establishing a solid spine in the team. Things are looking positive for next season.

Polar

I expect us to stay in the title race to the bitter end. With other words “improvement from last year”. I hope we go all the way, but don’t expect it to happen (I don’t exclude we do, but take it as a very pleasant bonus :drool:)

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I expect us to stay in the title race to the bitter end. With other words “improvement from last year”. I hope we go all the way, but don’t expect it to happen (I don’t exclude we do, but take it as a very pleasant bonus :drool:)
Agreed!

Foxbatt

I would want to win games against lower teams that we would expect to win. That's been the problem.
I don't mind going defensive against the top teams and playing counter attack if we beat the lesser teams regularly.
With Sancho and a new DM and a CB I would expect us to be there challenging.

lex talionis

I really do expect a proper title run this season. And yes, I am referring to Manchester United.

Woziak

If we sign R Varane, J Sancho, K Trippier, plus keep Pogba and sign a CDM then expect 85 points to 87, will that be good enough ?

who knows if City sign Grealish and Kane expect 95 points, Chelsea sign Haland expect 90 points and Liverpool with a fresh VVD and regenerated squad 84-88 points we might find we get the most points we’ve had since Fergie and finish 3rd or fourth who knows that’s why we always love the PL only time will tell but we simply must win silverware this season or Ole is without a job !

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Be in the title race with 5 games to go. Getting out of the CL group is a must, the rest is up to the draws. On the pitch I want some home wins against the top 4 sides (Chelsea, Liverpool, City) and some more dominant performances against the likes of Leicester, Everton, West ham.

At the end of the day if I enjoy watching our games and look forward to them with genuine excitement through most if the season I’ll be more than satisfied. If I start dreading our games against good sides it’s a bad sign.

jamesjimmybyrondean

At the very least a proper title challenge. This is what the club and Ole are targeting so we as the fans should expect this.

It's also not just about whether our squad is good enough because in 3 seasons since Ole came we have spent over 420m. Our squad should be good enough for a title challenge.

And since we love talking about progress. We came 2nd last season, lost a cup final and crashed out of cl group stage. So what we should be looking at this season is at least a title challenge in the league, good run in the cl and also a cup win.

Dr. StrangeHate

For those complaining about MC Fred, we don't have to play MC Fred. If any team plays with two DMs ofcourse their midfield will be toothless.

Irwin99

• Challenge for the PL
  • CL Semi final
  • Win a domestic cup
Not sure about the middle one but if Sancho, Varane and Trippier are bought then anything less than a proper, serious challenge for the title would be an absolute failure. The transition/rebuilding phase is almost over and it has to be about winning now. A top 4 finish shouldn't be a success now and should be the minimum.

El Jefe

It has to be the league or a title challenge at the very least if Varane and Trippier join us. CM will be the only position we need improvements but no team in the league currently is perfect. We have so much offensive talent in the team and potentially have a superb back 4, now is the time for Ole to consistently get this team winning because we have the tools.

City have a great squad but if not for that 6 week period where Gundogan turned into prime Lampard, they don't win the league so easily. I'm not so sure that'll happen again when they inevitably lose KDB for a spell. City will still be the favourites but by no means should we be trailing them by more than 7pts next season IMO.

spiriticon

Keep pace with City and Liverpool for the majority of the season. If we fall away in the last few weeks, so be it, but we can't fall away in the first few weeks.

wolvored

If we get Varane Trippier Sancho and DM then surely we can improve by at least 12-15 points from last year which would be 89-92 points. Whether this would win us the title is in the lap of the gods, but we would be damn close.

FatTails

I think it’s fair to expect us to be the second best team in the PL after City, when wage bill, transfers, and form over the past two seasons is considered.

I think we won’t finish 2nd. It will be 3rd or fourth behind City, Chelsea, and possibly Liverpool(I expect us to finish above Pool but it will be tight).

As for the knockout competitions, it really depends on the draw and who we end up coming against. In the CL, I’d expect us to at least get out of the group stage this time around, and then it depends on who we face. Similar for the cups.

I’m hoping we can look more comfortable on the ball and show better passing and ball retention all over the pitch. We looked comical at times last year.

Thepinhead

85+ points a QF place in the CL and maybe a cup trophy depending on our situation. If we are challenging for the title and CL trophy then I don't care a great deal about the cups.

The Cluck

Being genuinely involved in the title race, meaning close to the top for most of the season, regardless of whether or not the league ends up being won. It would be an improvement on simply getting top for a couple of weeks in January, before falling away again.

Also, getting out of the group in the UCL. Anything can happen beyond that, including the two domestic cups. The luck of the draw can hand you an easy passage to progress well into a cup, or you can get a tricky draw that can go either way. Just don’t get knocked out by very beatable opposition.

Reactions: Cheimoon

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm going to assume if we sell Pogba, Ole will be backed to sign a new midfielder. So in additional with Sancho and Varane, it has to be challenging the league. It only makes sense because we want to make progress. First full season's expectation was top 4, second full season was closing the gaps and third full season will be challenging the league.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
A proper league title challenge is a bare minimum if you’re closing deals for Sancho, varane, trippier and/or a midfielder.

Particularly if as looks likely we’re too skint to bring in anyone other than konate and MC and Chelsea fail to land Kane and haaland respectively.

You can’t be calling yourselves plucky outsiders looking to make top 4 once you’re splashing big bucks on the likes of Sancho and varane.

Anything less than a title challenge leading to a close top 3 finish where you challenge all the way to the end must be deemed to be a failure in that scenario.

Ekeke

Within 5 points of whoever wins the league if not us. It also depends on what other clubs spend and if they add similar big name players too, but currently if we do complete Varane as well as Sancho this summer I think the aim has to be to win the league within the next 2 seasons.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
how can anyone make any sort of prediction until we see the final squad and how the opponents shape up?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I don't care but we have to win the quadruple before city, if not this year then the next one

Winrar

Proper title challenge and a proper run in CL.

A domestic cup would be fantastic and would instill a lot of confidence in a squad that's gotten progressively better in the past few years but still shy of a trophy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The target of 3rd in the league but realistically, 4th. One of the domestic cups or the CL's QF at least. Lack squad depth, which is a season or two away when we start to develop the potential in the Academy.

gajender

Atleast 85 points in the league, deep run in Cl and atleast a trophy is minimum expectation for this season.

UnitedRepublic

I can’t belive what I’m reading in this thread we’ve splashed atleast 80M€ on Sancho and we’re gonna sign Varane for 40-50M€ and people are expecting a 3/4 th place finish in the league ?

With Ole it’s fully possible that, that will be the case but come on we’re Manchester United. Standards need to be higher than that.We got so much depth in the team now we should be challenging for the champions league and win the league. No more excuses this season. It’s a failure if we don’t win the league.

Baneofthegame

- A serious title challenge.
- Progress into the knockouts of the CL.
- Try and win a domestic cup.

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
This will be a very competitive season at the top. Folks need to understand Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Leicester and Leeds all have a decent chance of top 4.

It is likely to come down to fine margins and whether the last weeks of the transfer window are game changers for the sides looking for top strikers.

flappyjay

Do what elite clubs do. Finish within 5 points of the league winner and reach ucl semis.

Hammondo

I can’t belive what I’m reading in this thread we’ve splashed atleast 80M€ on Sancho and we’re gonna sign Varane for 40-50M€ and people are expecting a 3/4 th place finish in the league ?

With Ole it’s fully possible that, that will be the case but come on we’re Manchester United. Standards need to be higher than that.We got so much depth in the team now we should be challenging for the champions league and win the league. No more excuses this season. It’s a failure if we don’t win the league.
Weak midfield.

romufc

We should be challenging the league. Excuses need to stop and results is priority now. The rebuild is complete, it was a 3 year process and we are in the 3rd year.