What are our expectations for next season ?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
a) Challenging for the title
b) Winning the europa cup
c) Winning the fa cup or the league cup
d) Top 4
e) Mid table
f) Bottom half
g) Relegation scrap

If we sign de jong, I would expect us to atleast achieve d) alongwith either b) or c).

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Surely there's an option between d) and e)

Vapor trail

E) if it constitutes 5th / 6th place finish with the current squad. Many assume De Jong would be a sure hit coming from La Liga but it could hypothetically take him time to settle. I recall ETH quotes posted that De Jong also is better suited alongside a defensive midfielder so even if he is signed there's still a lack of balance in the midfield.

United currently do not have one player who effectively screens the defensive line to the degree of rivals who in City, Chelsea and Liverpool have world class service in those roles.

It's not that United need the best players in Europe but players with different skill sets to balance the key areas on the field. Thus far the midfield and right back are a serious concern.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think people are severely underestimating us for top 4, with most I see in the general public counting us out.

That being said, I also think our own fans are going to get antsy when we aren't playing world class football that's perfectly fluid out of the gate. It will take time and transfers to fully realize our potential, but top 4 is still my expectation as of now (barring a huge step up for Spurs or Arsenal).

Charles Miller

I expect good football. A positive path into next seasons. The implementation of a playing style that will please the fans, the development of some youngsters. Maybe even top 4 its possible this season.

Ceteris

we were walloped 4 nil by Brighton last season, my expectations for the season will be set after our first game of the season. I want to see how
1.we start the game
2. How we react to conceeding the first goal, over the years we seem to go in a panick after conceeding

Trequarista10

Top four is essentially all that matters. The financial aspect and pulling power to compete to sign the best players is significant.

A decent cup run would be a nice bonus, but generally more interested in improvement in team performance and player development (a cup run may well be a side effect of improved team performance).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Top 4 challenge.

Chelsea, Spurs, United and Arsenal are all relatively close one way or another. Chelsea, Spurs and United have top managers, Arteta unproven as of yet. All have flawed squad's. United IMO have the highest potential due to play style with the manager, but the squad has the biggest gaps. Chelsea have the most experience in their squad. Arsenal have had the best window but the worst manager and plenty of gaps in their team behind the front 3 and a massively fecked up situation in CM (where United basically suspended the player in the same situation whereas they are choosing to play him, and he's absolutely key to their system). So that's pretty fecked and reflects horribly on them as a club to choose to play him with all the reports out there. Here's hoping sanity wins in the end, but that will also feck them over in midfield as the season goes. Or he just gets injured as he always has been since he joined them.

Not much between the starting 11s in general. Depth becomes a bigger gap between clubs and where we lag behind as our front 3 depth is non existent.

lex talionis

I assume what is meant is "this season", not "next season", unless the discussion is about the 23/24 season.

As for this season (22/23), I expect a fourth place finish and an EL trophy. The domestic cups are of little interest, but it would be nice to see a decent run in both cups.
As for next season (23/24), I expect a PL trophy and a CL semifinal appearance. That is my expectation but in no way an assurance.

The Purley King

I’d be ok with outside top4 as long as there was visual evidence of a marked improvement in playing style/organisation.

however, 9 times out of 10 the improvements in playing style would ensure top 4 anyway

just want to see some signs that we have a plan and we are on the way to achieving it.

CallyRed

Not get spanked by teams at the top or bottom of the league

Shark

@NotShark
Challenge for the Europa and make a proper push for 4th whilst ETH enforces his vision on the pitch. Ideally we surprise everyone and finish 3rd/4th without much hassle which would obviously be amazing considering last seasons showing. ETH will would need to turn a lot of caterpillars into butterflies though.

wolvored

I feel we will just fail top 4 and finish a point or two off. I think the first quarter of the season will be tough and maybe around 8th with the style all over the place, but start clicking after 8 games or so, as TH style and tactics becomes second nature. I also think we will win EL andcqualify for champ lge.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Hard to see anything but inconsistent league performances which land us outside the top 4. But hoping to win the Europa and I think we can.

caid

With current squad about 6th place, maybe lower. The black hole in midfield will just make life hard for any functional part of the team. And in terms of full backs, wingers and strikers its a pretty underwhelming bunch. Were closer to west ham or leicester at this point than chelsea to be honest.

Irwin99

Can't see top 4 happening sadly unless things change drastically in the remaining transfer window. I think it will be a tough season but with some signs of progress.

Also, I think we'll go all in for that Europa League trophy. That would be a fantastic start to the ten Hag era :drool:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not high but still excited cos you never know...

Dazzmondo

There should be another option between D and E. 5th-8th is not mid-table. Ultimately, I think that is likely where we will finish this season. Right now I think we could get 5th because something just doesn't seem right at Chelsea. Atm I feel like West Ham will finish above them and they'll probably end up 7th. If West Ham buy well between now and the end of the season I wouldn't rule out them finishing ahead of us either. I think Newcastle would need to do too much ultimately, but Maddison would improve them massively and that looks imminent. Also linked with Cornet who I think is great. Too hard to guess who else they'll get in though. I think Jesus is a brilliant signing for Arsenal and I can't see them finishing below us at this point really.

kirk buttercup

Signs of improvement and a plan for going forward and a good stab at top 4, I would be happy with that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
A good system and some team spirit.

I'd like to think with that would come with top 4, but I'd be happy with 5th if those things were clear.

SirMonteyne

With FDJ and Ronaldo I'd expect 2nd place
Without FDJ 3rd
Without Ronaldo and FDJ 6th place.

CloneMC16

Much better performances and actual patterns of play. The club should be aiming for 4th. I don't like the term 'top 4'. It makes it sound like we could potentially finish from 2nd to 4th. We're not going to finish any higher than 4th. Even 4th will be tough to get. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish 5th or 6th. If that happens, I would expect far better overall performances and goal difference.

The only trophy we might potentially win is the Europa League. I don't think we have much chance of winning any domestics trophies. We're going to have to beat Liverpool and/or City to win them.

Someone

Something
I have a feeling that we'll make a decent push for the title and maybe end up 2nd. Winning the Europa League must be a priority, and I think we can do it.

cyril C

NONE of the above. Achieving 80+ points next season, is the only way to recover the winning way. and confidence. It won't be enough to win EPL, and we might be unlucky in Cup competition, but 80+ will ensure we can win most of the winnable games

Infra-red

I don't think a top 4 finish is at all likely. I am at least vaguely optimistic about our chances in the Europa League and, given our silverware drought, I'd say that competition has to be our main focus this season.

Overall, I'm just hoping that, despite the inevitable inconsistency in performances, we will at least be entertaining to watch (for the first time in what feels like many years).

I’m loving my life

ETH has been roundly failed by Arnold and Murtough, and the rest of the cretins ballsing up the supposed revitalisation of our club. He will do well to get us into top 6. Hopefully he can install his philosophy on the team and slowly weed out the dross but given the idiots who handed record breaking contracts to the likes of Jones, Rashford, Martial and Maguire he will have his work cut out.

northernfan

Unfortunatly not much has changed in the past 4 months. There has been some fringe additions and hopfully a bit more structure when playing with or without the ball. However, this team goes only as far as the midfield can carry them and thats not far. They can compete for Europa cup and fight for that 4th place spot.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
a) Challenging for the title
b) Winning the europa cup
c) Winning the fa cup or the league cup
d) Top 4
e) Mid table
f) Relegation scrap

If we sign de jong, I would expect us to atleast achieve d) alongwith either b) or c).
G) Consistently aesthetically Excellent football. A platform to build the future on

Lost bear

I expect good football. A positive path into next seasons. The implementation of a playing style that will please the fans, the development of some youngsters. Maybe even top 4 its possible this season.
Yeah, in my more optimistic moments this where I us being this time around. To me, ETH looks like a serious contender.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Refreshing to go into a season without any expectations - just good football. Might be the remedy the players need to start challenging again.

I don't expect us to get Top 4 or win the Europa.

therationalprophet

Top 4 for me. We have Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, and us fighting for 2 spots. We have a better manager than the other 3.