Music What are we listening to?

Withnail

YouTube is recommending me.slme.whack stuff recently. This is its latest :drool:

You've got Japanese Elvis on drums, Japanese Voldemort on Bass, and then what I am guessing is a retired Samurai on vocals/guitar. I can't stop listening to it.

I've been listening this for the past couple of weeks - Thanks!

Anyone into Trad or not, give these lads a listen. They're brilliant.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I can't stop listening to this album at the moment - Oncle Jazz, by Canadian band Men I Trust.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The new Weezer album is well worth a listen...

..proper old school Weezer surf power pop done right.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I don’t listen to him but I have to say whenever I’ve seen his live shows on tv I’ve away thought it would be a great experience to see him live.
I'm considering whether or not to see his show in San Diego next year. I'd rather see it in Vienna or somewhere like that but.....
He seems quite the showman alright.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Just found these, really liking them too ...

I've been listening to these a bit lately and do like them. Strong Feelings is my current favourite.

Listening to them is a bit like having Jo Brand recounting her shit day during a Gang of Four gig. In a good way.

Have you heard any Squid? Another new-ish punky, post-punky, funky indie-ish band. Their album is full of tunes.

Here's one...

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Paul Simon live from Central Park in '91 on Sky Arts. What a view. Do they still hold big gigs like this there?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Have you heard any Squid? Another new-ish punky, post-punky, funky indie-ish band. Their album is full of tunes.

Here's one...

Yeah, loved squid since they released Houseplants. Was lucky enough to catch them live at Bluedot 2019 back in the days of live music. Awesome set.

Eckers99

Yeah, loved squid since they released Houseplants. Was lucky enough to catch them live at Bluedot 2019 back in the days of live music. Awesome set.
Cool. I'm totally new to them, so just started going through their stuff. It's right up my street.

Funnily enough I've just bought tickets to see them in Manchester in September, so it's good to see you rated them live. I'm so excited about going to a gig and just praying it happens. Been so long.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Cool. I'm totally new to them, so just started going through their stuff. It's right up my street.

Funnily enough I've just bought tickets to see them in Manchester in September, so it's good to see you rated them live. I'm so excited about going to a gig and just praying it happens. Been so long.
That should be great, I’m jealous. Should be a better show now as they have loads more material, their new stuff is really good too. Enjoy!

Castia

Selection from my 3 most played albums of 2020:

Started listening to Steven Malkmus on your recommendation he’s got some good stuff thanks!

I like the Purple Mountains album from 2019 and was surprised to see they played together in the band Silver Dews back in the day. Good stuff.

Fanta Stick

Started listening to Steven Malkmus on your recommendation he’s got some good stuff thanks!

I like the Purple Mountains album from 2019 and was surprised to see they played together in the band Silver Dews back in the day. Good stuff.
I am obsessed with his Traditional Techniques album from last year. Bit of a departure from his previous work.

Malkmus appeared on the first Silver Jews record 'Starlite Walker'.

I have only played the Purple Mountains record once through so far, need to go back to it. I'm sure you know that David Berman committed suicide soon after its release.

He wrote one of my all time favourite opening lyrics on 'Randon Rules':

"In 1984 I was hospitalized for approaching perfection
Slowly screwing my way across Europe, they had to make a correction"

Genius lyricist.

Eckers99

I am obsessed with his Traditional Techniques album from last year. Bit of a departure from his previous work.

Malkmus appeared on the first Silver Jews record 'Starlite Walker'.

I have only played the Purple Mountains record once through so far, need to go back to it. I'm sure you know that David Berman committed suicide soon after its release.

He wrote one of my all time favourite opening lyrics on 'Randon Rules':

"In 1984 I was hospitalized for approaching perfection
Slowly screwing my way across Europe, they had to make a correction"

Genius lyricist.

Good to see another Silver Jews / Purple Mountains fan knocking about. I love Silver Jews, so many great lyrics on those albums.

Trains across the sea is full of them. Most songs are packed with them.

I always liked the lyrics to People, especially " The drums march along at the clip of an IV drip/ like sparks from a muffler dragged down the strip / people always come around"

Just the way the words flow.

Guy was a fecking genius and his loss is one of the biggest in recent times.

Chipper

Adulterer.
You lads into Gary Glitter and all?
Well now you mention it...

Nah, was unwinding on Friday night, had some wine with my meal then felt like somethiing else. Had some rum in so moved on to rum and cokes when that popped into my head as "sippimg on coke and rum" is in the lyrics.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I've been listening to these a bit lately and do like them. Strong Feelings is my current favourite.

Listening to them is a bit like having Jo Brand recounting her shit day during a Gang of Four gig. In a good way.

Here's one...

Not keen on the album tbh, may have to give it a few more listens but I do like some of the early singles, just like this.

Withnail

Well now you mention it...

Nah, was unwinding on Friday night, had some wine with my meal then felt like somethiing else. Had some rum in so moved on to rum and cokes when that popped into my head as "sippimg on coke and rum" is in the lyrics.
I'd had a few drinks too. It was just when I seen them both together that popped into my head.

Listen to whatever you want obviously, mate.

Fanta Stick

Good to see another Silver Jews / Purple Mountains fan knocking about. I love Silver Jews, so many great lyrics on those albums.

Trains across the sea is full of them. Most songs are packed with them.

I always liked the lyrics to People, especially " The drums march along at the clip of an IV drip/ like sparks from a muffler dragged down the strip / people always come around"

Just the way the words flow.

Guy was a fecking genius and his loss is one of the biggest in recent times.
I have to go back to the Purple Mountains album soon. It's such a difficult listen though in light of what happened, so many poignant lyrics.

After Vic Chesnutt checked out I could barely listen to his music for a couple of years. Another genius lyricist.