What are your expectations for Ten Hag's first season?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Depends on who leaves/comes in. The biggest thing is entertaining football and the development of a style of play. That being said we really should be getting top four. Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all bang average.

fergosaurus

Depends on the summer transfer window but top four and a decent cup run would be nice. I'd settle for no CL if we were showing clear signs of improvement and moving towards an attractive brand of football. I'm confident he's going to get it right given time and financial backing however I don't expect a league challenge any time soon.

Dazzmondo

I'd just aim for 4th in his 1st season. If we finish a bit lower than that I'd be ok with it as long as I can see some progress in the tactics and new signings bedding in. Anything above 4th would definitely be overachieving next season imo. I expect City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs to all be stronger next season (Spurs in particular). Any cup win would be nice obviously but again not an expectation. I'd give him until his 3rd season before really adding any sort of major pressure since it's clear that this is a transitional point from this squad to an entirely new one, the same way it was when Klopp joined Liverpool.

90 + 5min

Be interesting to see what people's expectations are now, with us looking a shambles and before the summer transfer window.

What are your expectations for next season? What constitutes a good first year for the new manager?
To win everything or he should get sacked. Wasn't that what other have always said about past managers?

On a more serious note. It all depends on wich players we throw out and who we buy. But I say top four would be a good start.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I just want to see a style of play where not everything is all slow and only down the left side.

I honestly don’t mind where we finish, I just want to see a clear vision which includes the type of players he and the staff bring in this summer.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Be interesting to see what people's expectations are now, with us looking a shambles and before the summer transfer window.

What are your expectations for next season? What constitutes a good first year for the new manager?
Ejection of 90% of the current 1st team . Sell them. Drop them. Whatever.

Create a style of play and become a semblance of a cohesive unit

Have to start somewhere

Red_toad

We should be playing for 3rd/4th really. The gap to the top two isn’t going to be closed in one season. If we can adopt his style and finish in the top 4 then job done.

He will need quite a few outgoings and newcomers to get it done so I hope we can get 4-5 in over summer and January. A large influx of new players and plenty leaving should help implement a much needed culture change. I think by the end of next season we need to see clear signs of that.
He's got a massive job to upgrade the squad, then getting them used to an entirely new way of playing and training and a preseason in Australia/ Asia. I think you're expecting a little much. If he gets the team working as a unit and putting in a shift then top 6 he's doing well. 1 transfer window isn't going to turn this team a team that'll finish above Chelsea, we 'might' scrape 4th 'if' we have good fortune. I hope the fans are happy with progress and not setting unrealistic targets.

Valencia Shin Crosses

- Implementing modern style of play and principles.

- Getting Improvement out of some current players.

- Improving fitness levels across the board.

We do these things and I’ll be thrilled because none of them have anything to do with whatever business we do in the summer.

Dante

Average bang
With Poch, I think we'd have a much clearer idea of his potential. He'd finish 4th (or maybe 3rd with a bit of luck), but would never quite be as good as the top 2 no matter how long he stayed.

EtH is complete unknown. He could be anything from 8th to 1st. Success in second tier leagues doesn't always translate to the PL or La Liga. Obviously, we're all hoping Ten Hag can.

I'm going to guess we finish 4th by the skin of our teeth.

jesperjaap

OPtimism will be totally founded or diluted by what he does in the summer, as doesnt matter how good a coach he is, this current lot have proved again and again, some for years they are not United players.

If less than 9 go and less than 5 are bought in, will istantly feel negative.

I expect/hope:

* Minimum of 10 leaving, there are 6 already whose contracts are ending and a squad of 38 not including likes of Garnacho and who knows what will happen with Greenwood

* Minimum of 5...We NEED a new centre back, right back, central midfielder, right winger, striker

Of course depends who is brought in and who leaves, but failure to do less than that and I genuinely believe he could be doomed to a poor season struggling for the top four again and quite possibly failing.

What I would generally like to see but is unrealistic is about 15 players leave and added to the five signing we need: a second centre back, a second central midfielder and dependant on Greenwood if he leaves a third winger or striker.

With the players leaving I would also like to see more squad involvement from Fernandez, Laird, Hannibal, Garner and Garnacho.

I do think we can make several signings, there are cheap options and some rumours of Ragnick recommendations (some cheap, some not), list of names I think personally should be of interest:

Free
Romagnoli CB
Kamara DM

Cheap
Bella-Kotchap CB
Martel CB/DM
Ekitike CF
Lukeba CB

Value (under or around £30m)
Gusto RB
Caqueret CM
Livaramento RB
Gravenburch CM
Enzo Fernandes CM
Doku RW
Anthony Gordon RW

Possible star signings (£40-50m)
Timber CB
Gvardiol CB
Tchouameni CM
Giouri CF
Sulemana LW/RW
Antony RW

As much as Id like a RIce, Bellingham, Kane, Nunez etc etc I dont see how you do 5+ quality signings gettign one of those without it seriously affecting the rest of the budget....sadly the ones I want most from that list, barely seen us linked with at all

Giouri CF

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just fight for a place in top4 because it will be hard to get a fight out of this bunch. We can't complete a clearout in one window so need to get something out of the players we have.

Tavern in the town

Anything lower than 4th given the money we’ll inevitably spend in the summer and questions should start being asked. I get everyone’s in “we have to be patient” mode right now because he’s new and shiny but the sentiment will change very quickly (and rightly so) if we look like finishing 5th next season.

Tiber

A long battle for 4th and yet more talk about a clear out

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
-A clear out to continue into Jan
-No more Maguire
-Green shoots of a Clear identity
-Top 6 (6th is fine)
-An enjoyable EL run

We still won’t lay a glove on Liverpool or City but would like to see us trouble them with some intelligent play.

I think 6th would be acceptable, Europa League could really be fun and the best way into the CL.

Varane around town

- Implementing a recognisable style of play

- New signings bedding in

- A clear out

- A top 4 challenge and a good cup run.

- A good challenge for the Europa if we qualify

Skills

Snitch
Good football. Good results.

75+ goals. If we get that, I can't imagine the results being too bad.

King Eric 7

I'm expecting it to get worse before it gets better, if only because I'm hoping for and expecting the biggest transfer window we've had this millennium in terms of number of players out and number of players in. It's going to take a while for new players and existing players to get used to a new style of play and I'd expect to be outside the top four again next season before making a push for top four the following season. Having said that, if Spurs and Arsenal stagnate it won't take much to finish above them next season.

The PL's best two managers didn't come in and turn things around dramatically in their first season. I think we need to give ETH some time.

Suedesi

Just want to watch us play some fluid football for once. I'm tired of watching zombie passing for over a decade, watching United has become a chore. If he can make fans could look forward to the matches in hopeful anticipation that'd be a win in my book.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Top 4 challenge if we are lucky. Cup run. Remove the lazy lads to much expense and pain. Blood Garnacho Shoretire Hannibal and Fernandez in the EL . See where we are this time next year. There should be a much hungrier core and some sweet aggressive high tempo football along the way.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Clearout + implement his philosophy. Top 4 should not be a demand

leontas

Clear out of players who don’t care about the shirt.

Fluid, attacking football with players pressing and actually putting a shift in.

Top 4 finish.

Idxomer

Good and intelligent football with a lot of effort and intensity.

Fullers83

I think we shouldn’t underestimate the size of the task ETH faces. So many unmotivated, lazy, disinterested players to get rid of, and hopefully 4-5 smart buys to integrate into the team. Plus instilling a sense of pride and honour to play for our beloved club.

IMHO, I genuinely think top 6, a cup run and a more cohesive team unit, better style of play, and some passion back in the team will be a great start to his tenure!

Infra-red

We're starting from scratch - nearly all of the players assembled by Mourinho and Solskjaer need to be cleared out and replaced.

The expectation for Ten Hag's first season should be to instil a style of play, improve the attitude and fitness of the squad and, ideally, get in to the top 4 (I think the latter is somewhat optimistic, though).

If we recruit well (that's a pretty big "if") and the rebuild is successful, then years three and four are when we can start setting targets in terms of challenging for silverware. For the moment, everyone just needs to be patient.

dave2528

I expect ETH to clean house of anyone not giving 100% effort at all times and completely onboard with the system he plans on putting in place.

That goes for players, staff, kit lady...

As long as we aren't relegated, I don't care too much about results. If we cut the rot out once and for all, the results will eventually turn for the better.

Strootman's Finger

Better football, major changes to the squad, re-establishing ourselves as a team others don't want to play, and I would accept a Europa League position finish.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Feck top 4.

Will be rough and not pretty. He is extremely attacking and open at the back. It will be some tough scores against, probably some 2 or 3-0 wasted too. But we will see change of style and that's the most important. After that, we will see progress in results too.

UTD_Since_1978

I just hope for three things in regards to ETH himself.

1. He can get us playing as a proper team.

2. He doesn't do what Ole did & pick the same players time & time again even though they have been awful for like 4 or more games in a row.

and

3. Strip Maguire of the captaincy or better still sell him, I'm sick to death of Ole & now RR constantly playing this jerk no matter how bad he plays.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Anything lower than 4th given the money we’ll inevitably spend in the summer and questions should start being asked. I get everyone’s in “we have to be patient” mode right now because he’s new and shiny but the sentiment will change very quickly (and rightly so) if we look like finishing 5th next season.
Nah feck that and feck sentiment. Klopp was 6th with Liverpool his first year but you could clearly see the vision and they were a terror to play against.Id be perfectly happy with a similar season here where the structure and system is promising that is in place, and we just have to improve personnel. Would much prefer that over scraping top 4 without much of an identity and just individual brilliance saving us

Remember the geese

I'm not overly bothered about our league position next season. I suppose a base level would be finishing somewhere in the top 6/7. I'm more interested to see ten Hag establish a clear and defined progressive playing style. Even if the results aren't quite there. Although I do believe that if everything goes with a bang, we are capable of finishing 3rd ahead of Chelsea, who I do not consider to be anything special. More realistically though, just something that resembles a bit of hope for the future would be terrific.

I would also like to see him promote a few from the academy and work out who among our current squad will be of use to him moving forward.