What are your expectations for Ten Hag's first season?

Robbo 7

1. Define style of play
2. Clear out fringe players and those that don't fit with the style of play
3. Promote and develop youth
4. Improve current 1st team players technically, morale and confidence
5. Compete for Top 4 and a good cup run

tomaldinho1

I agree with S1-3.
But isn't it a big jump from S3 to S4, going from 'get close to first place in the league' to 'win everything'?

What estimate did Ralf R give, for winning the league? Did he say 3 years?
S4 was a joke! :cool:

R'hllor

First and foremost a massive purge, feckers cant stay in first team and train with newcommers, sell, loan, release, drop in reserves, dont care

The Hilton

1. Define style of play
2. Clear out fringe players and those that don't fit with the style of play
3. Promote and develop youth
4. Improve current 1st team players technically, morale and confidence
5. Compete for Top 4 and a good cup run
I'd be happy with this, but I think that 5 as an expectation is counter productive.

If it happens, then great, but we need to think long term - we may well perform better next season by adapting the approach to fit the players we have (we won't be able to bring in ETH's ideal squad in one summer), but I'd rather we start building and training for where we want to get to, instead of where we are now. It might mean some struggles at first, but it'll serve us better in the long run.

Trex

I'd be happy with this, but I think that 5 as an expectation is counter productive.

If it happens, then great, but we need to think long term - we may well perform better next season by adapting the approach to fit the players we have (we won't be able to bring in ETH's ideal squad in one summer), but I'd rather we start building and training for where we want to get to, instead of where we are now. It might mean some struggles at first, but it'll serve us better in the long run.
I agree with the list except the last point, not compete for top 4 but achieve top 4, Ole got us second last season and 3rd the season before, we aren't that shit.

Grande

What is productive for a fan to expect? Liverpool didn’t become a top team again before the fans had quit all their expectations of success for a while. City fans expected nothing to begin with. Possibly the most productive thing fans can do, is to expect what is most likely to actually happen, and then hope and dream for more?

I expect a bumpy ride next seasons, with flashes of brilliance after a while. That might put us somewhere between fourth and eighth place, depending on how long the ironing-out stretches take.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
A bit of a mixed bag initially, with an immediate improvement in work rate, aggression and willingness to close down and chase, gradually improve the team work, so we start looking like a team. Different corner and free kick routines, and especially the throw in, seeing us retain possession more often than not.
Integration of some of our academy graduates over the next two/three years, with signing some exciting additions to the squad.
By spring next year, seeing us with a genuine way of playing, even if the application is not always perfect.
I can accept some mediocre matches, as long as the will to win is instilled into the team.

The Hilton

I agree with the list except the last point, not compete for top 4 but achieve top 4, Ole got us second last season and 3rd the season before, we aren't that shit.
Ole's 2 seasons are outliers compared to other recent seasons, and he did it by playing defensive counter attack football that has a much lower ceiling than the front foot stuff we see from the top teams. We need a complete rebuild, and we have to accept that the players we have will take some time to be able to do what the new manager wants.

What is productive for a fan to expect? Liverpool didn’t become a top team again before the fans had quit all their expectations of success for a while. City fans expected nothing to begin with. Possibly the most productive thing fans can do, is to expect what is most likely to actually happen, and then hope and dream for more?

I expect a bumpy ride next seasons, with flashes of brilliance after a while. That might put us somewhere between fourth and eighth place, depending on how long the ironing-out stretches take.
Yeah this is pretty much my take on it - we need to be sensible and practical with our expectations. Forget about expecting a manager to drag the current squad to success that is beyond it, instead expect the groundwork laid for future successes with a future squad that is capable of it. Top 4, and then cups and titles, will come in the future if we get the next season or two right.

Kag

Couldn’t be any lower.

We need at least six or seven players, but the reality is that we’ll piss around and bring in three. Gaps create more gaps.

Lots of us noted prior to last summer that we needed a new midfielder (possibly two) because Matic and Pogba would be off within the year, leading us to a situation in which we’ve got Fred, McTominay and Bruno to choose from. Shock horror; we were right. I mean, how fecking useless can this club be? Arseholes on the internet like me can see it, so why can’t they?

Ask me again in September. As it stands, I don’t think the poor bastard has a chance.

TOPREDIAMNOT

Be interesting to see what people's expectations are now, with us looking a shambles and before the summer transfer window.

What are your expectations for next season? What constitutes a good first year for the new manager?
Well it's quite easy. Better than anything Moyes, LVG, Jose and Olle did. Even in their first seasons the level of football was not good at all. Give the fans a belief the club is finally going places.

1) Create and score more. I am tired of watching Utd for 45 minutes and we have not created one good opportunity.
2) Dominate smaller teams at least. Teams like Norwich, Brentford, etc should be camped in their own halves hanging on for dear life. Not dominating.
3) Give the big clubs a fight even if we lose. Not the pathetic "white flag" football we have seen recently. Did we lose to City 2-0 at O.T and have about six touches in their box?
4) A team that looks like they actually like each other. Too many cliques, too much dislike, too much of a gulf in talent for this side to achieve anything.
4a) Take player power away. Get back to the Fergie days "It's my way or take the Highway!" You don';t give 100% every game good riddance!
5) Get rid or at least bench the trouble causers. We know who they are. He needs to get rid
6) Really give youth a chance and a a path to the first team
7) Put a smile back on the fans faces not a grimace

Top 4 and a trophy would be great..but it's not a must first season.

MrBest

For me the main thing is implement a clear style of play that becomes the focus of the team rather than individual players. I'd be happy with top 6 if the above was achieved, but I think we need to be demanding top 4 to atrract the right players so I am torn on position.

A could cup run would be nice, maybe winning the league Cup which could announce a new era for us.

Nevertheless I am happy with Ten Hag, the first manager since Fergie that I genuinely believe in and want to give time.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I literally don’t have any competition goals at this point, not even a CL qualification, although it would be nice.

Just start a rebuild from the ground up.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It’s become quite popular to use Klopp as an example about patience and time but it’s a complete myth. Their progress was quick and linear. They finished 4th in his first full season and made a CL final in his 2nd. Bearing in mind he didn’t have anywhere near the transfer budget we do.
The reference to Klopp wasn't about patience and time for me though, it was that they instantly looked like they had a plan and style in how they wanted to attack the opponent both with and without the ball, something I want to see from our team next year regardless of final standing in the league.

lukepowell1988

I just want to see us playing an exciting brand of football

Top 4 would be a bonus but I thin we are well off the mark.

Last edited:

saivet

Top 4 and if not end the season strongly. More importantly I think by the end of the season we should be seeing signs of what ETH wants to do and a clearer idea on our tactics, formation and favoured personnel.

It's really just about clear progress and direction in the football, possibly similar to LVG's first season.

buckooo1978

I think we will get top 4 if he is allowed/supported to play his brand of football, remove the obstacles (unmotivated players/players who dont perform in his style) and able to bring 3 or 4 in....im feeling quite positive - just hope we arent waiting beyond early July for this to come together

InfiniteBoredom

A team that play consistent, front foot possession football by March onwards should be the prerequisite.

Top 4 should be very much achievable, Chelsea with uncertainties under their new ownership, Arse are shit, Spurs are shit, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves don’t have the squad or the consistency to be up there. Not tenure ending but will be a very bad look for ten Hag if he doesn’t achieve CL football against these fabled competitions.

cfkane

I’d even take a first year 8th a la Klopp as long as I could see strong signs of long term growth and a clear positive identity, with an excellent work ethic and values. 4th the year after, then challenging in years 3/4.
This.

flameinthesun

For me the first year is a transition year and building the key foundations for a successful team:

1) I expect by the middle of the season to see the team playing in a structured way with ten haags traits i.e. high press, attacking, with repetitive patterns of play. I expect it may take half a season to get going and by the end of the season it still may not be perfect but I want to see the team able to implement his style for 60/70 mins of every match.

2) To be more competitive against liverpool and city. Not looking for us to beat them home and away but at least at home we should take it to them.

3) improve our set piece play both defensively and offensively

4) Reach at least the semi's of one cup

5) in the league we should at least be fighting for 4th spot as a minimum, but id be happy if we finished 5th after half a year of getting the squad used to his tactics and then finishing the second half of the year positively.

Pretty achievable for me.

Offsideagain

I hope he introduces a few youngsters. Elanga and Hannibal will only benefit from game time with the first team even if it’s twenty minutes towards the end of a match. Insist the board get the players he wants and not who the media or Gary Neville wants Especially two quality centre backs and build from there. Who remembers the glowing assessment Neville gave of AWB? Of course, patience from the fans is required but the ABU media will be all over him if we don’t win more than we lose. Oliver Holt for instance, Stockport County and Man City fan. Did you know his mother played Emily Bishop in Coronation Street? The media won’t destroy this guy, he will stand up to them and tell it like it is from what I’ve been told by my Dutch friends.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
-Clear the deadwood
-Avoid big name signings, make signings in the weak areas
-Strong, relevant backroom staff hired
-Adopt a style and "Oledentity" that we stick to
-Finish 4th at least
-strong run in one of the domestic cups

The qualitative factors are more important to me. Not expecting trophies or a challenge title which should be more realistic over time, the latter being a bit later

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Positive strides with effort, fitness, quality of football, and looking like we’re sorting the personnel issues.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Get rid of Maguire and play progressive and energetic football and ETH is a winner in my eyes, even if we finish outside the top 4.

Cantonagotmehere

Agreed. Looking forward to next season, happily, with low expectations.

Todd

The immediate expectation is that he has a clear impact when it comes to making sound decisions in the transfer market this summer. The goal should be to overhaul nearly the entire first eleven over the next two summers so making progress for next season is going to start with 4-5 new players this summer.

The goal for next season at a bare minimum has to be forth, or maybe third depending on the extent to which Chelsea get cleared out due to their situation. United have to be back in CL at the first opportunity, that's the first and most important step to re-establishing the club as legitimate.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
One other thing is just to get the fans enjoying watching us play again. I'm not sure many would see it's a regular joy to watch us the past few years

Stadjer

Not much, he also didnt start off amazing at Ajax. Lots wanted him sacked fairly soon although that had to do with his accent and media performances too... suggesting things like ETH being a guy from a province and therefor would never be able to achieve anything at big city club Ajax.

I do expect that there will be people wanting ETH sacked in his first season though. Predicting a ''ETH is shit, we should have gone with PL proven Poch'' or ''another failed manager, should just have kept Ole'' Basically the stuff you see about Rangnick now but instead we see it about ETH.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Be interesting to see what people's expectations are now, with us looking a shambles and before the summer transfer window.

What are your expectations for next season? What constitutes a good first year for the new manager?
I have no expectations other than for ETH to begin the rebuilding process as he sees fit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The more I think about it the more I think we'll probably see quite a slow start. As mentioned above, he started slowly at Ajax as well. And if we get all the business we want done then it will be a relatively new and disjointed team too. And then there's the WC, which will interrupt early work and possibly be a bit of a distraction for players.

Hopefully things would start to click more in the second half of the season.

Crashoutcassius

so ole is a joke but got 2nd and 3rd taking over a team with lingard and andreas regularly featuring. but ETH should be told he doesn't even have to compete for top four, and can finish behind spurs and arsenal for the next few seasons. thats a smart way to start the rebuild lads, stay away from the distraction of big competitions

So coming 6th after 2 full seasons would be acceptable?

We may be in a bit of a state, but we have a lot of good players and a lot of financial resource. Nobody should expect early trophies, and we can have a pass for the first season, but then it's time to be competing seriously.
Even in this disaster of a season, under two different managers, with major off-field issues, a disjointed squad and terrible performances, United is currently 3 points within 4th place.

6th place after two full seasons with the resources available should cost anyone their head. United should be able to compete with Chelsea next season and it should be obvious that they are closer to a top 2 challenge the following season. If a club with United's reputation and financial muscle can't leapfrog the likes of Spurs & Arsenal within one season, that's another failed rebuild.

Just to clarify, catching up to the current level of City & Liverpool will be exponentially more difficult than catching up to Chelsea, which will be exponentially more difficult than leaving Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham etc. in the dust. It's perfectly reasonable to expect top 4 next season while allowing more time for a title challenge.

Being content with a top 10 finish sounds absolutely ludicrous. You might as well dissolve the club and start a proper fresh rebuild in the Vanarama North.

Tony247

A trophy minimum.

I think enough of playing style etc. If we don't target a trophy consistently every year, then we will never get one.

dave2528

so ole is a joke but got 2nd and 3rd taking over a team with lingard and andreas regularly featuring. but ETH should be told he doesn't even have to compete for top four, and can finish behind spurs and arsenal for the next few seasons. thats a smart way to start the rebuild lads, stay away from the distraction of big competitions
We're not in the same state we were when Ole took over, but then again, why mention Ole in the first place? He's gone.

We just shat the bed against Liverpool and Citeh to the tune of 15 goals against to 1 for, over the course of all matches this season against those two clubs. We're an absolute mess.

I think it's quite sensible to temper expectations for the next season to just wanting to see a clearing out of the rot and signs of a change in attitude and effort.

We do those two things under a system set up by ETH and better results will follow.

onemanarmy

We are worse off then when Ole took over, partially thanks to Ole so...

Artimities

I think he is going to get his staff together, and lay out his blueprint.
Then it is moving players out asap while trying to sign 3-4 players.
He will use this as the foundation for his building of the team and in January will probably add 1-2 more players depending on how the first half of the season goes.
My biggest look forward to moment will be the attitude of the team and the body language. I want to see hustle and desire. If they cant produce that, then they dont need to be on our squad.
To stay a lethal top club you have to be smart and cut throat about players. You cant hang on to guys for sentimental reasons and I think we have about 5 of those guys on our team currently.

An example of this is City with Aguero and soon Sterling. United would hang on to these guys and allow them to settle and become comfortable, thus creating less effort in training and that rolls on to the rest of the squad including the impressionable youth.

Kaushal

Football Related

1) Some identity, structure and style of play as the season progresses
2) Play on the front foot and impose us on other teams.
3) Improving certain players like Bruno in possession etc
4) Fill the key holes especially fullbacks and midfielders and give a spine to the first XI
5) Give some media darlings a proper footballing lesson and try to make old Trafford a fortress again. It all starts from there.

Others

6) Don’t get overwhelmed by the size of the job and the size of the club.
7) don’t let the players undermine you and just be ruthless about removing/segregating the deadwood/sulkers.
8) Promoting the deserving youth only unlike Jose.
9) Don’t sit and look helpless and clueless in the dugout.
10) Try to get top 4 if not no issues, try to win a cup if not no issues as long as there is progression.

Last edited:

Drz

I expect free ice-cream. Odds are not good, but sure Ten Hag can make it happen.