What are your expectations for Ten Hag's first season?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Get rid of Maguire and play progressive and energetic football and ETH is a winner in my eyes, even if we finish outside the top 4.
What if he deems he rates Maguire and thinks he can be part of his preferred style of play? Will you back him or go in with your preconceived ideas?

Pavl3n

There are some very good shouts. Just like @Kaushal post.
I would add sorting the captaincy. In my opinion Maguire has to be stripped off the arm band in a very delicate way. Sort of the way Mourinho moved Rooney. There are players like McTomminay, Bruno, Ronaldo, De Gea who should wear it before Harry.

People have really lowered their expectations, asking for a top 10 finish, or fight for top 4 and a good cup run. Just for a reminder, Conte won the title in his first season with Chelsea, after they finished 10th the season before. Yes, their squad was massive and they had players like Costa, Willian and Hazard - that's an important note.

Still, we aren't actually losing many important players. Cavani and Pogba were constantly injured. Bailly, Jones, Mata, Lingard and Martial have no more than 500/600 minutes between themselves. Matic is the only one that could be deemed useful.

Ten Hag is supposed to know how to train players and help them get their confidence back. So if that is true and we get Maguire and Shaw performing at Euro 2020 levels, Rashford performing at his pre-injury levels - we should expect a comfortable top 4. Then keeping in mind what Ten Hag did with average Haller, I'm sure Ronaldo could replicate or even better this season. Also Ten Hag knows very well how to use DVB, so that's another plus. And then, as I hear, he's very capable of integrating young talents into the team, so one of Mejbri, Amad, Pellistri, Garner, Laird, Garnacho or McNeill should make an impact to the season. Combine that with two or three new signings and I think we should have a very capable squad.

By the looks of it, we're not going to make even Europa League and we will be competing in the bottom tier of European football, which should give enough opportunities to the young lads to breakthrough, while the so called core/starting 11 players have enough time to train and learn Ten Hag's ideas.
Having said all that, here are my expectations, besides the obvious desire of attractive football and clear desire from the players to perform:

1. Sort out the captaincy
2. League Cup QF/SF depending on the draw
3. FA Cup Semis or even a Final
4. Comfortable top 4
5. Win the Europa Conference League

TrustInJanuzaj

there is zero chance that r̶a̶l̶f̶ eric rates maguire
Then be prepared to be surprised I reckon. Maguire is miles better than people give him credit for and one ropey year might not be enough for the next manager to write him off. If he deems him surplus to requirements fine by me, but don't be surprised if he doesn't.

wolvored

Not worried about trophies just implment his style and get some good players in. If by feb march we are succeeding on the pitch playing attractive football will be a successful season regardless of position as if this is happening we should be amongst the top 6 anyway

Orange Tree

Top 4 and better attacking play.

For me whoever the manager is, top 4 is a must for a club of this stature.
Unless we really only spend 20 millions on the market, then I'd b more lenient.

Crashoutcassius

Then be prepared to be surprised I reckon. Maguire is miles better than people give him credit for and one ropey year might not be enough for the next manager to write him off. If he deems him surplus to requirements fine by me, but don't be surprised if he doesn't.
oh i totally agree, my little cross out joke was that people said the same thing about ralf... and then had to come up with elaborate conspiracies like woodward was telling ralf to play him to explain

Ekeke

I think ive made a mistake in the past of just setting a position minimum as my expectations. I think theres more to it than just where we finish.

I will adjust this based on the money we spend. Because its very different if we are the highest spenders in the league, or if Ten Hag has had to do it with the same players Ole failed with.

So for me top 4 next season with football I enjoy and players I like playing regularly, not scraping top 4 with players who have constantly let us down because our rivals are imploding. But if we spend a huge amount of money I would be looking for 2nd place instead of top 4 as well as the good football and a bunch of players I like. It might sound like a lot but it isnt. Our managers get a huge amount of money to take on the challenge and lots of money to spend on players. And if we're appointing them we have to believe they have the skills to improve our tactics, organisation and our current players else we'd be hiring someone else.

Crashoutcassius

There are some very good shouts. Just like @Kaushal post.
I would add sorting the captaincy. In my opinion Maguire has to be stripped off the arm band in a very delicate way. Sort of the way Mourinho moved Rooney. There are players like McTomminay, Bruno, Ronaldo, De Gea who should wear it before Harry.

People have really lowered their expectations, asking for a top 10 finish, or fight for top 4 and a good cup run. Just for a reminder, Conte won the title in his first season with Chelsea, after they finished 10th the season before. Yes, their squad was massive and they had players like Costa, Willian and Hazard - that's an important note.

Still, we aren't actually losing many important players. Cavani and Pogba were constantly injured. Bailly, Jones, Mata, Lingard and Martial have no more than 500/600 minutes between themselves. Matic is the only one that could be deemed useful.

Ten Hag is supposed to know how to train players and help them get their confidence back. So if that is true and we get Maguire and Shaw performing at Euro 2020 levels, Rashford performing at his pre-injury levels - we should expect a comfortable top 4. Then keeping in mind what Ten Hag did with average Haller, I'm sure Ronaldo could replicate or even better this season. Also Ten Hag knows very well how to use DVB, so that's another plus. And then, as I hear, he's very capable of integrating young talents into the team, so one of Mejbri, Amad, Pellistri, Garner, Laird, Garnacho or McNeill should make an impact to the season. Combine that with two or three new signings and I think we should have a very capable squad.

By the looks of it, we're not going to make even Europa League and we will be competing in the bottom tier of European football, which should give enough opportunities to the young lads to breakthrough, while the so called core/starting 11 players have enough time to train and learn Ten Hag's ideas.
Having said all that, here are my expectations, besides the obvious desire of attractive football and clear desire from the players to perform:

1. Sort out the captaincy
2. League Cup QF/SF depending on the draw
3. FA Cup Semis or even a Final
4. Comfortable top 4
5. Win the Europa Conference League
good post. im always reluctant to talk about cup goals since it can come down to one moment, which isn't true of the league. i think cups could make up for it if the league showing is poor... for one season perhaps

AFC NimbleThumb

‘one ropey year’, the blinkers never fall from certain fans eyes for their favourites.

He’s been dropping changers woth regularity since Project Restart, constantly pushing up [Spurs - A], being turned by players with quick feet [Bournemouth - H], Poor positioning [Southampton - H].

Time for all parties to admit it hasn’t worked as hoped & move on. This isn’t one bad season, it’s the worst run of form for any player post-Fergie.

TrustInJanuzaj

‘one ropey year’, the blinkers never fall from certain fans eyes for their favourites.

He’s been dropping changers woth regularity since Project Restart, constantly pushing up [Spurs - A], being turned by players with quick feet [Bournemouth - H], Poor positioning [Southampton - H].

Time for all parties to admit it hasn’t worked as hoped & move on. This isn’t one bad season, it’s the worst run of form for any player post-Fergie.
I agree to disagree. Don't have the energy, shame you won't back whatever decision the manager makes though because that's the sort of toxic stuff that plagues this club.

AFC NimbleThumb

I agree to disagree. Don't have the energy, shame you won't back whatever decision the manager makes though because that's the sort of toxic stuff that plagues this club.
Didn’t say I wouldn’t back the manager though did I? I just called out the ‘one year’ statement citing examples of poor form some years ago.

Toxicity does indeed plagued the fanbase yes, kind of like pretending a poster said something about not backing the manager because your statement didn’t hold up to scrutiny. I didn’t even mention management, how disingenuous. . . no sorry, toxic.

Moving on. . .

Farfetched

1. Players, to play to the best of their ability having given everything they can, so even if we have lost we would know that there wasn’t much more we could have done, it’s back to old SAF days, where we weren’t beaten we lost because we just run out of time.
2. Do the basics well.
3. Do the double over the bin dippers.
4. Do the above and we will have a successful and pleasant season.

Pavl3n

good post. im always reluctant to talk about cup goals since it can come down to one moment, which isn't true of the league. i think cups could make up for it if the league showing is poor... for one season perhaps
Thanks.
You're right that it could all come down to one moment. However 9 out of 10 times, quality, desire and following the manager's tactics (assuming it is the right approach) will get you through to the next round. If you look from the eyes of Nagelsmann it is down to that one moment, but if you look from the eyes of Emery it was down to following the tactics.

Again, I can understand a slow start in the league, but I'm expecting a strong finish.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Get rid of this mentality that we've had even in our prime where we have to shrink into our shells and play counter attacking football against the top teams. Let's produce a style and mentality of we're going to go out to dominate regardless of who our opponent is.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What if he deems he rates Maguire and thinks he can be part of his preferred style of play? Will you back him or go in with your preconceived ideas?
I’d back ETH but I’d also have my reservations, especially with the irrefutable bank of evidence we have on how sloppy Maguire’s positioning and general play is.

OverratedOpinion

Make us look like a good football team on the pitch.

I am putting no stress on it and honestly if he can do that and we finish 5th because it only starts to really take shape 6 months in or whatever then I am fine with it.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Weed the bad apples out of the squad, put a functional football system in place and make us good to watch.

No pressure in 1st season in regards to winning trophies, or even securing T4 for me.

A9X SJ

Top 4 challenge & exciting football get rid of all the dead wood bring some of the youth in.
Hopefully find some new gems around £20mil mark

didz

so ole is a joke but got 2nd and 3rd taking over a team with lingard and andreas regularly featuring. but ETH should be told he doesn't even have to compete for top four, and can finish behind spurs and arsenal for the next few seasons. thats a smart way to start the rebuild lads, stay away from the distraction of big competitions
Yeah it's pretty weird. Although I'm guessing it's mostly a reflection on how low the general mood is right now.

It would be very arrogant of the club to just assume that everyone else in the league will stand still while we take baby steps towards being ready to compete. But then again, it was pretty arrogant of the club to write off an entire season in December.

Ten Hag is an ambitious manager who will absolutely set himself and those around him targets that will - understandably - seem out of touch to many of us watching this lot at the moment.

I'm just hoping that if he fails, we have a plan in place that isn't a complete 180, because a decade of doing that is big part of why we are where we are.

OleGunnar20

Trim / improve the squad, hopefully introducing some homegrown youngsters while doing so.

Get us playing a recognisable brand of football. We won't be perfect of course, but show a defined direction and progress towards that end goal.

Improve the mentality of our squad. No more backhanded snide comments going unpunished. The minute somebody's brother / agent / mrs is talking out in the press the way Pogbas have all these years, we need to see that players frozen out sharpish. Iron fist, instill some discipline at long last please.

Finish wherever you like in the league, doesn't matter so long as the progress towards the long term goals is there. A cup run would be nice.

Moriarty

Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack....
I just want to see a team effort with no passengers tolerated who are willing to take the game to the opposition for 90 minutes. Too much to ask?

Lemon Moon

Dramatic change in work rate for a start and maybe a bit of an identity.
Not interested in big money signings or star players. I want to see the team grafting! Week in. Week out.

DeGea’sFeet

My only expectation is for ETH to be given the same funds and time as Solskjaer. I’m certain if he is after 3 years we will be much better and won’t have an £85m meme as our captain

The Hacker

Expectations are low for season 1.

I fully expect a total mix bag of results. But I’m hoping for a fresher style of play. Younger hungrier players playing a style that’s consistent even if the results aren’t.
maybe 5th and a decent run in a cup.

But I just want to see some positive change in personnel and style of play This coming season.

mattsville

Get rid of lots of players who are happy to hang around earning money for doing nothing, think the churn in players in the Summer is going to be extreme if we are going in the right direction, in and out, help create a foundation, I think the club wanted him from the get go, the appointment of Ragnick made you think that was how it would be now it is done that was defo the plan, with woodward gone and football people in control you are hopeful, it will take time, there will still be players here next year who should not be because you cannot fix it all in a transfer window, my biggest hope is that he listens to Ragnick who the wasters are and acts on it, feck giving them a chance, DO NOT extend contracts for any waster who did not try for Ragnick, time will tell, and these things will tell you what to expect. It should be a priority to sign midfielders and attackers and instill an absolute attacking winning mentality.

Volksie316

United are historically a massive club, but at the moment we are a million miles away from a massive club, in regards to how the club is run and from results on the pitch.

If the new manager can come in and actually implement a clear style of play and get the players playing well, then we are on to something.

It might not be the highs some are hoping for, but seeing United play with some identity and passion, would be good enough for me.

Ralf was being extremely generous when he said we are about 6 years behind Liverpool.

Its much much bigger than that and it will take a good time for us to catch up.

Crashoutcassius

Yeah it's pretty weird. Although I'm guessing it's mostly a reflection on how low the general mood is right now.

It would be very arrogant of the club to just assume that everyone else in the league will stand still while we take baby steps towards being ready to compete. But then again, it was pretty arrogant of the club to write off an entire season in December.

Ten Hag is an ambitious manager who will absolutely set himself and those around him targets that will - understandably - seem out of touch to many of us watching this lot at the moment.

I'm just hoping that if he fails, we have a plan in place that isn't a complete 180, because a decade of doing that is big part of why we are where we are.
yes mate well said. agree with all of that. the fanbase really want this to work and so the targets from the fans are relaxed in this thread. whatever people post here im sure the club have their own targets. as you said, if eth doesn't hit those targets, are we back to scratch...

Crashoutcassius

reading the last day of posts i have to say i am really encouraged. some good balanced posts here that realise ETH is just a coach, and that the most important thing is the continuity of the club if he fails. but all that is tempered with optimism around the hire of who is one of the top up and coming managers. i'd be dreading next season if the fans set us up to fail as they did when they said ole needs to win the title with the squad he has assembled or if the fans set absolutely no targets because the manager is a hipster favourite and doesn't need to provide any results for years. I really hope the club will have a decisive season

Avero

Expectations are flexible, but something like this

Season 1 - Top 4
Season 2 - Top 3
Season 3 - Top 3
Season 4 - Top 2

He needs to keep us in the CL every year and win some kind of trophy within a few years

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I still find it hard to make peace with the absolute hammering our rivals have handed out to us - but there is no way anyone can read this thread and tell me ETH hasn't exceeded all expectations.