What are your expectations for Ten Hag's first season?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Be interesting to see what people's expectations are now, with us looking a shambles and before the summer transfer window.

What are your expectations for next season? What constitutes a good first year for the new manager?

Judas

Open to offers
Genuinely can't honestly say till I see our summer business. Impossible to say until I know who is out and who is in.

Ideally? Top 4, good cup runs and an improvement on the football, acceptable finish outside top 4 if there's clear signs we are going very much in the right direction.

Gandalf

I don't really have any notion of targets in terms of league position or cup runs although of course top 4 and a trophy would be lovely. I do want to see ETH implement his style of football and watch our team go toe to toe with our opponents next season even if on occasion we get battered as a result of being too brave. I want to see the deadwood being shipped out or frozen out of the first team picture and some exciting new signings who fit the style of play along with genuine opportunities for our young players. Honestly if we are playing good football and there is a clear plan and progress taking place I would be completely happy with being 12th next year.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
UCL qualification and a playing style that enjoyable to watch. Will take time but Im hoping second half of the season and with a couple of Jan signings we can kick on and start to look good

If we dont make UCL its not the end of the world but U expect the completion to be alot like this season so I think if he gets us going it will be achievable

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Consistently half-decent performances by the end of the season.

Baneofthegame

- Get rid of some of the deadwood that aren’t expiring.
- Instill his philosophy.
- Finish Top 4
- Domestic Cup run.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
1) a squad clear out of any dissenting voices or any players that are resistant to what he is trying or incapable of performing what is asked of them.

2) an obvious promotion of youngsters to the 1st team squad.

3) a clear style of play, showing incremental improvement as the season goes on.

4) wear tighter and tighter clothes during all press conferences.

Matt007a

We should be playing for 3rd/4th really. The gap to the top two isn’t going to be closed in one season. If we can adopt his style and finish in the top 4 then job done.

He will need quite a few outgoings and newcomers to get it done so I hope we can get 4-5 in over summer and January. A large influx of new players and plenty leaving should help implement a much needed culture change. I think by the end of next season we need to see clear signs of that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Personally I'd be aiming for top four but fine with a lower place finish if there are some signs of progress in how we're playing.

I'm particularly concious of the fact that his attempt to get us to play the way he wants will be disrupted by everyone fecking off to the World Cup after a few months.

edcunited1878

Have the players committed to each other and disciplined in what they are asked to do. United will finish top 7. PL is getting more competitive year after year. For all the dysfunction and shite United have served up this year, they are somehow around Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal.

City/Liverpool (gap) Chelsea, Spurs, United, West Ham, Arsenal. Then even more plucky teams such as Wolves, Leicester, and maybe Newcastle.

Laurencio

At least a few matches of some proper good football. That's what he's good at, so I hope we get to see that earlier, rather than later. The target for the season should be top 4, but it's much more important that we see a clear direction and players improving.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm more bothered about seeing a clearer identity by the end of the season than trophies. A clear style of play, fitter players, more enthusiasm and work rate. I just want us to at least do the basics well.

Speako

I’d even take a first year 8th a la Klopp as long as I could see strong signs of long term growth and a clear positive identity, with an excellent work ethic and values. 4th the year after, then challenging in years 3/4.

El Zoido

Don’t know about league position or cup runs, but can we please look like an organised football team for once. That’s all I ask for the first year.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No less than 3rd. Ole managed that no problem in his first full season.
A cup semi as well.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Bring in good hungry players
Get rid of the idiots
Have a united team that plays good football
Build momentum and start to win some games in style

led_scholes

Either Conference or Europa League victory, with blending youngsters and better football and improved performances. Massive clear out too. I think top four is feasible, especially with Chelsea's uncertaincy, but I don't mind it if we achieved the other 3 (Europa will secure CL anyway.

humdinger

I expect several outs and ins over the summer.

Then some serious teething problems and an underwhelming start to the season unless this stint under Ralf has done as hoped and started to seed the idea of front foot, attacking football for these players. Progressing to something resembling his style by about Christmas and a decent challenge for top 4. So maybe a good FA cup run too as that starts after Christmas.

Devil81

Just hope they give him some form of European Football to go at, whilst appreciate some would prefer us not to play in the Europa I think its a brilliant opportunity for Ten Hag to use his squad and develope players.

It also gives us something to watch midweek.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I’d even take a first year 8th a la Klopp as long as I could see strong signs of long term growth and a clear positive identity, with an excellent work ethic and values. 4th the year after, then challenging in years 3/4.
Klopp took over in Oct and didnt get to buy in players till the summer.

If ETH gets to spend a fair amount he should be getting top 4.

davidmichael

First thing to do is by the time he officially steps into the role he’d have informed the club of who he wants to bring in player wise and his back room staff would also already be in place to start the same day as Ten Hag does himself.

Secondly I expect Ten Hag and Rangnick to have been in constant conversation from now about who needs to leave and the club move on those not needed that are under contract (Henderson, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Williams, Matic, Pereira, Chong and Martial) and release those that aren’t under contract (Dalot, Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Cavani) so the decks are cleared.

Thirdly I expect a style of play and tactical methods to be instilled into the club that goes from the first team through to the under 23’s and into the academy teams so players at all levels are all on the same wave length and anyone stepping up is already up to speed with how we play and their specific role.

Fourthly my expectations would be for us to get a top four place so we’re back in the Champions League (although we mathematically can get it this season we need a miracle) and then making progress going into Ten Hag’s second season, with the players we have and how we know they CAN play top four is bare minimum.

SeanyC

Pretty much the same as everyone on this thread, good cup run and a solid run at the UCL places and a style of play we can all love. I fear a section of fan base will be on his back come 10/15 matches in. Give it time boys and girls

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I expect several outs and ins over the summer.

Then some serious teething problems and an underwhelming start to the season unless this stint under Ralf has done as hoped and started to seed the idea of front foot, attacking football for these players. Progressing to something resembling his style by about Christmas and a decent challenge for top 4. So maybe a good FA cup run too as that starts after Christmas.
Don't forget, there'll be a break for a world cup in the middle of that. Christmas isn't as far into the season this year.

honirelandboy

Get the whingebags out of the club or take them off after 15 minutes if they are not working hard. I'd like to see a RB/CM/CM/RW/CF in the summer and if we get those comfortably third or fourth in the league next season and good cup runs.

Chicharo

- Establishing new football philosophy on and off the pitch
- Top 4 spot
- Winning one of the cups (even UEFA Conference bloody League if we play it)
- Getting closer to City and Liverpool in the sense that we can expect the game knowing we won't get hammered

Hughie77

Summer window will be interesting , see who comes in, I think we all know who's going .

I would like to see a cohesive team , a identity of how they play, and no attitude from players when things go wrong on the pitch . I'd take 6th in prem, and maybe a cup run of some sorts, but I wouldn't be bothered if we didn't, but a cup run can give a new manager more games to iron out issues. But big ? Is who comes in.

Dravy

Don't expect anything here - not even top four. I'd just like to see an improvement in the football, and at least obvious signs of an implementation of an identity, style of play and motivation to close down every ball.

That much dross has been built up since Fergie in the playing squad I think expecting much more is unrealistic regardless of how well the transfer window goes.

I would like to see the board back the manager rather than constantly caving into player demands.

kelvinwong2026

Shake up the squad and on the pitch, show some substantial progress towards the right direction. If we are doing these two things well, there's no reason our league position will be lower than 4th. Any cup wins will be bonuses.

The Oracle

What are your expectations for Ten Hag's first season?

Noticeable effort from the players on the pitch.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
1) Finishing outside of the top four

2) Embarrassing cup exits

3) Rotten football

United Hobbit

It depends how the summer goes and if he's allowed free rein in the summer.

I do hope we keep Ralf around for his consultancy role so he can properly tip him off about the bad apples and they're shown the door

Making the right signings. Don't buy players just for the name. Haaland would be great, don't think he will come, but also want to see a few Diaz/Jota/Robertson type players - lesser names but signings who help us and work well in our system he implements

I'd have liked to avoid Europe altogether if we can't get top 4 but don't think we can.

Use the kids for whatever Europa we end up in. Give them experience and try and develop them using it.

Show signs he has a plan and is implementing a style that will have us winning

Have a decent FA cup run and league Cup run, if the draw is kind to us a trophy would work wonders

Get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet. No more basic errors and cheaply giving the ball away, which no surprises more often than not puts us back under the cosh

Start to control games against the smaller clubs. I'm not yet expecting us to do so vs City etc but start putting some fear back in the likes of Norwich etc

Ideally moving Maguire on, at the least removing the captaincy from him. Develop and sign a few proper leaders like Keane not crumbling wall flowers

Show signs of exciting attacking football

Start to bring the kids who are ready gradually into the fold

Not have undroppable favourites. You're picked on form and performances, if performing badly or not putting the effort in you're benched no matter who you are. Good in game decisions relating to the above, not just substituting and using the same players