What are your expectations for the rest of the season?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A lot of the talk about Rangnick has been about the bigger picture improvements he might bring over the coming years but looking at his appointment specifically in terms of his interim role as manager for the rest of the season, what are you expecting? And what will constitute success for him as an interim manager and a good rest of the season?

Do you expect us to get top four? Win a trophy? Get far into the CL? Quickly play dramatically different football? Or will it be slow progress building towards the permanent manager's appointment?

What are you hoping/expecting to see over the rest of this season?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm hopeful that we'll get top 4 but I think it will be a big struggle from here.

I'm expecting an improvement team performances to give me some hope that we can challenge next season.

Greck

Domestic treble with a honorary reinstatement into the league cup. I barely knew him before last week but with Rangnick all things are possible.

AaronRedDevil

Top 4. Going to be a hell of a hard time trying to get back into it being 6 points of it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Top four. It's very doable assuming West Ham don't continue racking up 2 points a game.

gajender

Decent showing in Cl and FA Cup and making top 4, with point per match under him to be no lower than two. .
Discernible style of play along with improvement on field should be given by the end of season if not earlier.

Delano

I think we'll see a teething period, with muscular injuries becoming the norm.

We're completely different to the way Rangnick plays (saw this morning that only Newcastle and Norwich are more different). So I'd be surprised to see us have a quick upturn in form.

I think a late push for top 4; as the players become aligned with the way of playing throughout the season, and Cup runs are our best bet.

If the change was made in international break, I'd be more confident. But there's barely any time to train between now and Christmas. So I don't see huge immediate improvements, but we need to be patient in order to make long term gains.

Yakuza_devils

Top 4, Q-Final in CL and good run in FA Cup.

However, the most interesting thing for me is to finally be able to see Man Utd start to play modern attacking football influenced by gegenpressing since SAF retired 8 years ago.

Hope Rangnick can implement the style of play foundation quickly for the next manager to bring the club further next season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Personally, top four is all I really care about. If we get that I'm content given the nightmare start to the season as it means CL football next year.

Beyond that I just hope we go down fighting in the CL rather than looking inept or out of place at that level.

Long Time Red

It's more than just about results for me.

We need to restore Old Trafford to what it was, a fortress, where teams are shitting themselves before the game and hoping not to concede 4.

Teams have come to Old Trafford in the last few years and enjoyed themselves. I want it to be hell and maybe there will be a few growing pains but by the end of the season I want teams fearing coming to Old Trafford again.

R'hllor

After bit of time, i expect not to wonder what the feck we doing on a training pitch while i am watching the game. Our results have to come as a product of our performances, sure, here and there on a bad day you can get away with it but that shit to be a norm, is not acceptable, because when there is no a result, there is nothing behind it to lean on.

To see do we have quality to play certain way, first we need to try to play that way, for a while now, we looked clueless out there, moments where we cant string 2 passes togheter, having no idea how to play football, we didnt even try to play it, just hope someone will provide us with a result with individual quality.

We should make top 4 comfortably enough with decent coaching, but all I’m really looking for is football that looks bloody coached, players that look like they know what they have been instructed to do. I’d also like to see underperforming players dropped if they can’t do what the manager is asking them to.

Echoing what seems to be the clear consensus in this thread.

I want to finish at least 4th (finish the season with a mid-70s point tally, that should do it). And I want to see exciting, sustainable football.

Talisker

Top 4 finish and/or a cup. Oh, and a return to getting exited when we bomb forward.

Players playing to their full potential, and those who don't care playing somewhere else.

MonkeysMagic

Qualifying for CL next season and long run in FA cup (if RR has better luck with draws than OGS) but getting our squad to playing modern football by the end of season would be huge accomplishment!

RazorOz

There needs to be progress in the performances most importantly. Not just shit on a stick bs'ing results. Top 4 really shouldn't be too difficult given we've been absolutely awful so far this season, and are still only 5 points off 4th. We have a vastly superior squad to all the teams we're chasing.

AFC NimbleThumb

There needs to be progress in the performances most importantly. Not just shit on a stick bs'ing results. Top 4 really shouldn't be too difficult given we've been absolutely awful so far this season, and are still only 5 points off 4th. We have a vastly superior squad to all the teams we're chasing.
Came in to write this. I’m sick & tired of the nonsense we’ve seen for 5 years, Jose + OgS really ground me down.

I just want to enjoy watching us play again, consistently. If we win something then so be it bug let’s go into all games trying.

Djemba-Djemba

I would agree with this.

I want us to have games where we're good for the entire game, games where we are 2 or 3 up after an hour and I can relax and just enjoy the football. I want us to look organised and like we actually have a plan and a system we're working towards.

Playing poorly and still winning is good now and then, but when every time you win you have to admit you played shite it's depressing.

Bertie Wooster

It's obviously hard to tell until we see how well Rangnick takes to the PL, and the players take to his style.

My hopes are that we can get into the top 4 and, most importantly for me, win a trophy with either the CL or, most likely, the FA Cup.

My expectations however have been worn down over the last few years so I'd say that, while expecting improvement under Rangnick, I'd probably predict another trophyless season and that we'll have to judge winning the battle for 4th place as a successful season.

But if we can get our act together under Rangnick, and keep Varane fit, then a trophy and a 4th placed finish is certainly not beyond this group.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I expect more success in cup competitions since we can set up for a one-off. QF in the CL would suffice.

The league position improvement is a bit tougher.

Rangnick will have so little time to evolve the team when the season is doesn't have any more international breaks and matches will come in thick & fast till May. I suspect the Board has given him a mulligan/free hit for the rest of the season -- may be a Top 4.
But if he does, I think the Ragnick will want at least a full season in the EPL to set up his vision/philosophy before the next manager to come in.

MattJ166

It's a tricky one,

I do believe this squad is more than good enough to still get top 4 and clinch a trophy but rather than sh*thousing our way to a trophy or top 4 i'd rather see us develop a clear and progressive style of play, even if that means we don't necessarily pick up a trophy or get top4, although missing out on CL football would be an absolute nightmare for us next season.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic so i'll say definitely top 4, a clear and progressive style of play and a good run in the CL / FA cup will be enough for me this season. Ahh i started with such high hopes this season also :lol: :annoyed::(

Daengophile

3 weeks of the wobblies

Christmas period getting a grip

Destroying everything in front of us in '22

That's what I've asked of Santa anyway!

largelyworried

In terms of outcomes, the only thing I'm looking for is Top 4. A creditable showing in the CL and a trip to Wembley in the FA Cup would at least make the season a bit more enjoyable, but when you see how far we've sunk this season, you can't expect much more than a basic showing.

In terms of performances, I expect a lot of inconsistency as we try and take on new instruction from a guy himself new to the country. I remember when Klopp arrived and they implemented a very hard press, their results were all over the place. They beat Chelsea 3-1 away from home and a few weeks later battered City 4-1 away from home. But they also lost to teams like Watford and Newcastle. The rule of thumb that season seemed to be, if you could survive the initial onslaught, they would tire quickly and you could get at them.

Of course, our squad is vastly better than the one Klopp inherited, so I don't expect quite as many defeats as Klopp had. But implementing a new style is never easy, particularly mid-season and when you're in a slump. When its such a high risk high reward strategy as a full press, then you can expect to see plenty of ups and downs. I'll be able to live with that, as long as there are enough signs that we're seeing the rewards more and more often as the season progresses, and that a clearly identifiable style begins to emerge.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The biggest task is to integrate Ronaldo and Rashford into a functional, structured team.
Ronaldo beacue he offers very little outside the box (on and off the ball).
Rashford because he's too one-dimensional , and I think will struggle in case he's asked to play anything more than "kick and run" football.

This season we don't stand any real chance for trophy, but integrating them before next season is key, because both are going to be here.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Secure Top 4 and to witness tactical evolution of the side.

It's criminal how stagnant the technical and tactical evolution of the squad has been under Ole. So many players have stagnated and gone backwards.

Roane

I'm not as bothered with final position this season if there are noteable differences in us as a team after a few games.

I can see the first few games maybe being painful but I think we need to accept that and have a bit if faith in the process (yes I said it)

Overall I would like to finally see some of our younger signings play a role immediately. Qdd a bit more urgency and energy.

I would like to see a plan for our MF, which for me is the major reason for our flaws, I'm of the opinion a good mf will give confidence to our defenders and we will see an improvement in those who we've slated recently. I think they ar constantly under pressure and that is the biggest issue rather than them just being rubbish. Also think DDG is an issue with his must saty on the line attitude.

Cl starts again in February, if we can sort out our MF and get a decent loooking plan in action before the start then I want a good run in the CL.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
With all the hype I expect him to win every trophy, even one’s we didn’t enter, teach us Jedi skills then at the end of the 6 months fade away leaving only his cloak and training cones

romufc

I just saw on twitter the level of performances this season. We are 20th when it comes to pressures, tackles etc.... Rangnick's Leipzig was top of Bundesliga in his time in charge.

Our players are about to shocked.

If Rangnick can get us winning the ball, dominating games, top 4 is on the cards. Hopefully, when the CL returns, we have a better style and we can go on a good run.

Kopral Jono

Play with a semblance of a clear system in place, get top four, final of/win the FA Cup and a solid Champions League run to the latter stages. This is the barest of minimums with the players we have.