Music What are your favourite live music performances?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Maybe it's the lack of human contact but I've found myself listening to, and watching, quite a bit of live music lately. As a regular gig-goer, I really miss trying to squeeze myself into that spot between much taller people with a slowly-shrinking view of the artist and losing myself in a couple of hours of music. When it's good, it can be totally transcendent and, yeah, it's one of the things I'm looking forward to most when the world starts to return to normal.

Some of the following are fecking amazing and I've had them on a lot this week:

Has anyone else been watching/ listening to their favourite artists playing live lately? What are the ones you always go back to?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Arcade Fire headlining Glasto in 2014 and Sigur Ros at madison square garden in 2006 were transcendental experiences.

I definitely miss going to gigs :(

Bought tickets for The Music's reunion gig in Leeds next May, so if that's my first foray back into the live scene it's going to be a mental one!

EDIT: Vids.
Sadly there don't seem to be any vids of the nyc gig from the dark ages of 2006, but this one was almost as good at Wembley:

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Never been to a concert in my life. Don’t want it to be just anyone. But hopefully one day, I’ll be able to go to a Eminem concert or Daft Punk if they ever do a tour again in this life.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
My favourite live video is Nirvana Live At The Paramount (even more so than Unplugged)

Halloween 1991. Just as they were exploding into pop culture. The 16mm footage is glorious and at odds with the ramshackle camera work and raw performance.

Eckers99

My favourite live video is Nirvana Live At The Paramount (even more so than Unplugged)

Halloween 1991. Just as they were exploding into pop culture. The 16mm footage is glorious and at odds with the ramshackle camera work and raw performance.
Funnily enough I listened to this album yesterday. It's great to hear them blasting through Nevermind with genuine 'this is our new album' enthusiasm. Kurt sings with pure ferocity the whole way through.

A brilliant document of a band on the cusp of being a true phenomenon.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Oh heck this is one of my major passions have collected thousands of concerts - will revisit this later.

The Cat

This has to go in they'd been told to turn up and pick their award up and it got given to someone else and they were majorly pissed off right before they played it

Nico87

Return to cookie Mountain was one of my favourite albums of the decade, love the energy in this performance.

Last edited:

The Cat

If I could book a couple of bands for a private gig I'd have these playing like this for the party

The Cat

The 13-minute clip shows the band playing both ‘Faceless Sense Of Void’ and ‘Repeat’ with bandmate Richey Edwards. A caption written under the video by club organiser Jo Bartlett, who booked the band for the gig and uploaded the video, says: “This film has been in an attic for twenty years and has only just been unearthed. You can’t hear James Dean Bradfield’s vocals at the start as Ben (the camera man) is standing to the side of the stage. However this is where Richey is playing and so it makes it all the more wonderful.”

Richey is so gloriously out of tune 2 minutes in it is wonderful.

Eckers99

Wish I was old enough to have seen this at the time. Gold.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

(the entire performance obviously)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Never been to a concert in my life. Don’t want it to be just anyone. But hopefully one day, I’ll be able to go to a Eminem concert or Daft Punk if they ever do a tour again in this life.
I've only been to a handful of concerts but I would love to go to a Daft Punk concert...

Eminem would be ok too but only if he performed some older material too. Although I could imagine an annoying crowd in an Eminem concert.

AaronRedDevil

I've only been to a handful of concerts but I would love to go to a Daft Punk concert...

Eminem would be ok too but only if he performed some older material too. Although I could imagine an annoying crowd in an Eminem concert.
Yeah Ems old music is best, even though I’d take either, just want to see him live. As for Daft Punk. I really hope they have a show again someday. Their concerts look incredible. Didn’t like the new album to be honest. Prefer Discovery.

arnie_ni

Mainly dance concerts for me.

Chemical brothers in portrush was pretty good.

Video quality wouldn't be great.

Used to go to the planetlove festivals.

Seen metallica at slane last year was good to.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm trying to think of shows I have actually seen live myself. I use to go to tons of gigs, but for some reason, surprisingly little comes to mind. It has all become a bit of a blur, I guess. Especially festival shows. I did love seeing Ska-P at Lowlands (2009 probably): never been as sweaty in my live. :cool: But they're probably awesome under any circumstances. Similar for a Mexican party band that I saw but can't remember the name of. They made the entire audience move left and right through the tent; somehow no-one got crushed! A lot of Dutch rap is also great live under any circumstances, like Opgezwolle (and related acts) or Osdorp Posse. Kyteman was also great at Lowlands. The Whitest Boy Alive, also at Lowlands, may have been one of my more surprising experiences. Didn't expect much and just came over to have a quick look, but stayed the entire concert cause it was just so fun and danceable. One thing I also remember was seeing The Cinematics perform in a small venue in Nijmegen for some 10 people (really!), and then two days later at a festival for a few thousand people. That must have been a weird experience for them as well. (But probably fairly common during the festival season.) Oh, one of my best experiences has also been Hanggai, again at Lowlands. (Yes, I went there a lot and made sure to see tons of shows each year. :) ) They're a Chinese band that play Mongolian folk music. Kinda unexpectedly awesome: extremely danceable - and great fun to see bring people random crap from the festival terrain to keep making the party crazier. :lol:

I like it if bands try and add something to the album version. Like, I love progressive rock, but seeing it live is usually fairly boring, as they just copy their albums. Rush even managed to play along to their own videos. At that point, the experience doesn't add much to just watching the video on YouTube at high volume anymore. I see Steven Wilson mentioned above, and that was the same to me: great music and musician, but at his Hand Cannot Erase tour, every song was a note-for-note copy of the album versions. Not all that interesting live to me. In that sense, Anne Soldaat did an awesome show in support of his In Another Life album.

I do think big concerts tend to disappoint compared to the occasion. I mean, as much as I loved seeing Genesis live in 2007, it's still a stadium concert; not the best experience. I actually enjoyed The Musical Box, a Canadian cover band that creates carbon copies of Genesis's 70s shows, more! But I did really love Peter Gabriel on his Up tour. (2003 or 2004?) Podium in the centre, so everyone is close to the performance, a great show and setlist, and Tony Levin on bass. :drool: Always the first concert that comes to my mind when thinking of great shows I've seen.

Minkaro

Once every few months I’ll put on Gotthard’s Made in Switzerland dvd. Incredible performance.