What are your feelings on Roy Keane?

criticalanalysis

You know when people say 'he cost £89m, he should be dragging the team to victory each game' or 'even Messi wouldn't flourish here'?

Well I genuinely believe Keane alone would 'fix' this team or single handedly drag Utd to within reach of something greater than what we are now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

"What the feck is this sh*t?"

beergod

Love the man, wish we could find some sort of role at the club that minimized his downsides and utilized his drive for perfection.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Love the man, wish we could find some sort of role at the club that minimized his downsides and utilized his drive for perfection.
Yes. I agree.
I refuse to believe that having a character like Roy Keane as part of the club could be anything other than positive.
He would drive our club much further forward and at a much faster pace than without him.
We would soon find out which of the players wasanything other than totally committed to the club and if he was to upset a few of them then so be it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Loved the player, I don't think there is a player who represented more what it meant being a United player than him in my life. Nowadays, I tune out what he says, he sounds old and bitter

Jib

The best DM in football history for the british and Irish people. An average player for the rest of the world ( except if you are a Manchester United fans ).

And the man behind the player is a horrible person.

ryansgirl

The best DM in football history for the british and Irish people. An average player for the rest of the world ( except if you are a Manchester United fans ).

I'm shocked.....................by how much of a little numpty Jess looks in that picture. It's embarrassing actually. His fashion choices are not cool because they make him look like a try-hard. Stick to improving your football.

As for Roy being a 'horrible' person - more information please. Most of us know about the Keano incidents on the pitch including with Haaland which was one of Keano's worst moments, the pub arguments and fisticuffs, the nights in the cells after drunken anger, the way he can make nosey people feel threatened just by staring at them, etc.

Does that make him horrible as a person? His positives are integrity as a footballer and as a person in that he sticks to his principles and won't back down a la being humiliated by Mick and Co in public at the Irish World Cup training camp to name one example. Keano set this off by speaking in measured but completely honest words to journalists about the amateurish nonsense at the pre-World Cup so called preparations.

I listened to the interview at the time and there was nothing irrational or wrong about what he said and the way he said it. Keano has always reminded me of one of Australian Rules Football's greatest players from South Australia, Foss Williams. Foss was a born leader and winner who didn't mince words. When he moved clubs from West Adelaide to Port Adelaide where he led them to tremendous success he was still respected by most Westies.

Foss wrote a notice that he fixed to the wall saying what kind of players were not needed at a successful football club. They included those 'who are here for the bloody joke, not to win'. Keano said similar things about the atmosphere surrounding the Republic of Ireland team. Both Foss and Keano led by example literally going in on the football oval/pitch where many other players feared to tread.

I happen to think Roy Keano has won the right to have his opinions aired publicly.

Thaumaste

I'm sorry, but this post is nonsense. For one, Roy Keane was not a defensive midfielder in the current sense of the term, and certainly could not have been termed as such when at his peak. Anyone who characterises Keane like this either forgets or just wasn't there when he spent a large bulk of his United career partnering Ince and then Butt in midfield, and yet somehow managing to be the game-controlling hub of teams that played the kind of aggressive attacking football that our current team could only dream of playing. Sure, later in his career, Keane did much of his best work screening the defense, but this was due to the simultaneous onset of age and hip problems, and the movement to 3-man midfield set-ups.

So anyone who sees Keane as 'the best DM in football history' is voicing an opinion that simply can't be trusted. Or, more likely, this is a hyperbole that you've created in order to castigate Keane and those who rate him as a footballer.

And your second sentence is worse than your first because it's patently absurd. Roy Keane was not an average player. I doubt you could find even a single person who ever encountered Roy Keane on a football pitch who would express anything approaching to that sentiment. And certainly no fan of any club who ever watched Roy Keane play against their team, and wasn't either delusional or massively embittered, would have come away thinking him an average player. They might have hated him, sure. But calling him average would be a lie. And a pretty bad, ineffective lie too.

Finally, maybe Roy Keane is a horrible person. It's possible. He has perhaps done some horrible things. He has said things that some have found horrible. Would I say that anything (that I know of) he has done or said is particularly horrible in the grand scheme of things? Not really. And, surely, it is more likely that Roy Keane is just a person, like so many others, who despite having done and/or said some negative things is capable of being pleasant and unpleasant, of loving and of hating, and of being loved and hated. Either way, as someone who's never met him, I wouldn't wish to make a pronouncement. And if I did, to be honest, I'd be inclined to go with the more lenient of available judgments, in part because I find it more true to my experience of people in general, but also because I am enormously biased by the joy that Roy Keane the footballer has brought me. And if you think that this bias invalidates the rest of my post, well, fair enough; but it does strike me as pretty unbelievable that so many can judge so harshly a man who gave so much to the team they purport to support (this is not necessarily directed at you; I've no idea which team you follow).

The Nani

The world has become too precious for our Keano.

Tbf Clough wouldn’t last in this climate either. He’d have killed Lingard by now. Or injured him severely.

I’d say everyone else is the problem these days.

Bunch of fannies.

There should be a statue of Roy Keane at Old Trafford. Legend, hero and exactly what United miss now.

Ultimate will to win, lead by example, top quality box to box midfielder

TRUERED89

My feelings? Love. Absolute adoration. For the player, that is. Cantona brought me to United. Keano made the love an obsession. I like my geniuses flawed, obviously. The sheer devilry and commitment to United, alloyed with real world class quality. Yeah the man may be a complete basket case, but who cares? The player will always have a special place in my heart...
Being a basket case is what made him so bloody good as a player. Relentless man, basically a SAF on the pitch. Who gave 150% in every game/training session.

TRUERED89

Loved the player, I don't think there is a player who represented more what it meant being a United player than him in my life. Nowadays, I tune out what he says, he sounds old and bitter
I don't think so at all, he tells it how it is. I've never disagreed with him at all, my only gripe with him would be his bitter dispute with SAF. His comments about United on the pitch have always been spot on!!

EireRed_GS

I love Keano, as a player he was world class and a monster of player in his day. Underrated by an awful lot of people.

But as a coach / manager i think he's too highly strung and comes across by all reports as a slight bit of a unhinged lunatic. I think international football was just the right balance for him, didnt have to deal with this new generation of players on a daily basis all the time. When he does, it seems he just gets frustrated and loses the plot with some of them. football culture and standards have just changed too much for him to keep calm around.

That said, I personally would love him to be involved at United in some way, (a coach at some level) . Just to remind some of these lads who they are playing for and where their priorities lie. But unfortunately with his relationship with Fergie and how stubborn Roy is, its not going to happen.

On a personal level, ive never met him, but some people i know have, and by all accounts he's an absolute gentleman.

Irwin99

That’s a car wreck of a post mate. He came 6th in the Balon d’dor in 1999 which, for a supposed ‘DM’ with only 5 goals that year suggests he was very appreciated outside of England. Also Juve and Bayern wanted him after the 99 season and we had to smash our wage structure to keep him.

Again check out what LVG and the great Eusebio said about Keane in my earlier post in this thread .

KitDizzle

I love Keano no matter what he has said, he will always be held in high regard for me!

Eric's Seagull

Love Roy Keane. One of my favourite players ever. Truly inspirational player who led by example. Drive and will to win second to none. Was willing to cover every blade of grass for the cause. Legend.

Green_Red

As a player for United — he’s obviously a legend. I feel like he’s bit of a myth now. I seen him play from 2001-2005 for United and to be honest I cannot remember this guy who people say he is.

When he had fallen out with Sir Alex, I naturally took Sir Alex’s side and for a while I just took everything that came from his mouth as bitter. He probably is a bit bitter to be fair, but I also feel like he has a lot of bad rep from people. A lot of people say he gave no feck about United but I seriously do not believe that.

We’ve all heard that he’s an auld grumpy cnut and that people should just stay away from him. But then I personally know people who have met him on numerous occasions who insist that he’s a very quiet reserved man.

I’ve never met the guy obviously but I feel like we’re really missing someone like that at United. Apparently he scaled Cleverly’s fence to confront him at Villa, imagine what he’d do to our lot?

In any case, what do you guys and gals think of Keano as of 2019?
I think the player people remember is the 1993-2001 player. He never really recovered the same ability after he had his hip operation.

TRUERED89

He sounds like that for me so what can I tell you ?
Why though? Because he openly says we're shit and need to take a good look at ourselves? Or that he berates the new social media era of footballers? Again nothing wrong with that, so I don't really see anywhere where he's come across bitter. The things he talks about, are genuine topics that are discussed on this forum daily and many other platforms.

StrettyEnder07

As a player for United — he’s obviously a legend. I feel like he’s bit of a myth now. I seen him play from 2001-2005 for United and to be honest I cannot remember this guy who people say he is.

When he had fallen out with Sir Alex, I naturally took Sir Alex’s side and for a while I just took everything that came from his mouth as bitter. He probably is a bit bitter to be fair, but I also feel like he has a lot of bad rep from people. A lot of people say he gave no feck about United but I seriously do not believe that.

We’ve all heard that he’s an auld grumpy cnut and that people should just stay away from him. But then I personally know people who have met him on numerous occasions who insist that he’s a very quiet reserved man.

I’ve never met the guy obviously but I feel like we’re really missing someone like that at United. Apparently he scaled Cleverly’s fence to confront him at Villa, imagine what he’d do to our lot?

In any case, what do you guys and gals think of Keano as of 2019?
Heroic and a leader, absolutely loved Keano, favourite moment was in my favourite ever derby when he scored the last minute winner at Maine Road, absolute scenes.

Not overly assed on what he is like outside the pitch, if he is a bell or quiet or whatever, he is what he is but will always adore the man for what he gave the club.

berbasloth4

probably the greatest ever captain in our history. Would love him in our team now.

He would get this bunch actually running. He speaks the honest truth about the club fair played to him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why though? Because he openly says we're shit and need to take a good look at ourselves? Or that he berates the new social media era of footballers? Again nothing wrong with that, so I don't really see anywhere where he's come across bitter. The things he talks about, are genuine topics that are discussed on this forum daily and many other platforms.
Many of us are bitter, sharing the same opinion on certain matters means nothing and everything.

youmeletsfly

Legend, maybe a bit over the top at times, but he should be called MR. I Don't give a feck.

TRUERED89

Heroic and a leader, absolutely loved Keano, favourite moment was in my favourite ever derby when he scored the last minute winner at Maine Road, absolute scenes.

Not overly assed on what he is like outside the pitch, if he is a bell or quiet or whatever, he is what he is but will always adore the man for what he gave the club.
Was that the derby where Cantona got us back from 2-0 down? What a game that was indeed.

StrettyEnder07

Was that the derby where Cantona got us back from 2-0 down? What a game that was indeed.
Yeah 2 down at half time, big Niall Quinn just got two and I think Cantona started on the bench, came on got two in ten mins (always remember Giggs ball across for his second I think it was) then Keane at the end, absolute scenes!

TRUERED89

Yeah 2 down at half time, big Niall Quinn just got two and I think Cantona started on the bench, came on got two in ten mins (always remember Giggs ball across for his second I think it was) then Keane at the end, absolute scenes!
Yep you're right, Giggs's ball to Cantona set up the 2-2 equaliser. The days where Man United were totally unpredictable in attack, gets depressing reminiscing doesn't it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Still can't work out how Eric scored one of his goals (where he appeared to slip it past the 'keeper). A magician's sleight-of-foot.

jesperjaap

Who cares what he is like as a manager or pundit, Scholes, Gullit, Souness etc etc etc have all been poor in such roles.

Some of the players seemed to not like him, but they all respected him and were lead by him. We talk highly for the likes of Carrick, and some even for the likes of Herrera and Pogba. None of our recent central midfielders have been on the same level as Paul Ince, yet alone Keane, who for me is on the same level as the best captain and box to box midfielder we have had in my lifetime, which is Bryan Robson, who just just shades it ahead of Keane for me....that in itself says how highly I think of Keane, fantastic player, captain and servant to our club and that is all that he should be remembered for, an absolute legend of the club

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Better than Vieira, Makelele and Davids.

Not as good as Redondo.

That's his standing compared to his peers of his generation who played the same position.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
As a player - excellent.

As a pundit - not worth listening to.

As a man - a bit of a bellend.