What are your feelings on Roy Keane?

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Not sure about that one. Hadn't ever heard it. Can you post full quote please mate?
What about Roy's response to that selflessness quote :D
Stuff like that insults me. I actually get offended when people throw quotes like that at me as if I am supposed to be honoured by it. What am I supposed to do? That was my job. It’s like praising the postman for delivering the mail.”

Eric's Seagull

What about Roy's response to that selflessness quote :D
Stuff like that insults me. I actually get offended when people throw quotes like that at me as if I am supposed to be honoured by it. What am I supposed to do? That was my job. It’s like praising the postman for delivering the mail.”
Didn't understand what you meant first mate but read quote now and understand. To me I take from it that he saw it as a regular day at the office. Great attitude to have, which I think some of our current players should to have :):keano:

Last edited:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Didn't understand what you meant first mate but resd quote now and understand. To me I take from it that he saw it as a regular gay at the office. Great attitude to have, which I think some of our current players should to have :):keano:
Nah I'm sure he appreciated the comment but with all the aggro between the two of them he had to say something like that. It's Roy after all. You hardly expected him to thank Sir Alex for his kind words and return the compliment, did you.

Eric's Seagull

Nah I'm sure he appreciated the comment but with all the aggro between the two of them he had to say something like that. It's Roy after all. You hardly expected him to thank Sir Alex for his kind words and return the compliment, did you.
Are you suggesting he said it sarcastically because of his feud with Sir Alex mate?

Tomuś

Are you suggesting he said it sarcastically because of his feud with Sir Alex mate?
No, I'm saying he was too bitter to accept a compliment so needed to find a way to twist it so it looked like an insult whereas nobody understood it as such. Had the relationship been good between the two of them he'd have at least half thanked for the words. Do you believe his response would've been similar had it been said by Clough back in the day?

Eric's Seagull

No, I'm saying he was too bitter to accept a compliment so needed to find a way to twist it so it looked like an insult whereas nobody understood it as such. Had the relationship been good between the two of them he'd have at least half thanked for the words. Do you believe his response would've been similar had it been said by Clough back in the day?
Thanks I wasn't sure that I had interpreted his comment correctly mate :). Not sure what his relationship was like with Bryan Clough

Tomuś

Thanks I wasn't sure that I had interpreted his comment correctly mate :). Not sure what his relationship was like with Bryan Clough
From what I know the respect was huge. I guess it used to be towards Sir Alex, too, but the relationship broke down obviously.

Eric's Seagull

From what I know the respect was huge. I guess it used to be towards Sir Alex, too, but the relationship broke down obviously.
Too me they were very similar strong charcters. Keane was like the embodiment of Ferguson on the field and when you have suchg volatile characters in a high pressure atmosphere. There is a fair chance arguments will occur.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Why are you lying ?
So someone's opinion is lying? Even though 99.9% of people would agree. Roy Keane is a legend. With eleven like him we'd be walking the league. Or maybe with 20, to cover the suspensions...

What a plank.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I honestly dont care much for the man. A guy like him won the lottery in life but he's so twisted and bitter. Like him more than Giggs though.

Eric's Seagull

Absolutely he did.. What a remark to make after such a compliment, anyone else would be flattered to hear SAF say such things about them..
Thanks for clarifying mate. I have always been a massive fan of Keane and held him in the highest regard and would defend him all the way but this had really disappointed me and I particularly agree with you point in bold.

TRUERED89

Thanks for clarifying mate. I have always been a massive fan of Keane and held him in the highest regard and would defend him all the way but this had really disappointed me and I particularly agree with you point in bold.
He's incredibly bitter, when asked on the programme who's the best manager you worked with; he says "without a shadow of a doubt; Brian Clough" WOW was my reaction to that.. If you want to watch it go on YouTube and watch the whole show 'Keane & Viera, Best of Enemies'

Eric's Seagull

He's incredibly bitter, when asked on the programme who's the best manager you worked with; he says "without a shadow of a doubt; Brian Clough" WOW was my reaction to that.. If you want to watch it go on YouTube and watch the whole show 'Keane & Viera, Best of Enemies'
I've heard he was bitter but I didn't know he was any near that bad. Thanks for mentioning the part in bold and I will try to watch later if I've got time mate.

TRUERED89

I've heard he was bitter but I didn't know he was any near that bad. Thanks for mentioning the part in bold and I will try to watch later if I've got time mate.
He also omits Giggs & Scholes from his all time United XI (BONKERS).. Yes watch it when you have time, you'll enjoy it, great show..

TRUERED89

That bit in bold in completely mad and I'm starting to think he was a but miore bonkers than I originally though he was mate :houllier::lol:
Giggs and Scholes were really close to SAF and highly thought of. If you look at his all time XI it mostly consists of players that fell out with SAF (so that probably explains his omission)..

--------------------Peter-------------------------------
Parker---------Bruce----Stam-------Irwin-----------

----------------Ince----Keane--------------------------
Beckham-------------------------------Ronaldo

---------------RVN-----Cantona-------------------

That's 6 players that had serious issues with SAF, coincidence ? Naaah

Last edited:

Irwin99

There's no coincidence that he picked that team with a lot of those players having had fallouts with SAF although he did later say that he regretted it and that he felt like he disrespected his teammates.

But, and just playing devil's advocate here....

Beckham was 2nd in Balon'Dor in 1999, Keane was 6th that year and i'm not sure if Giggs or Scholes ever made top 10. If i were picking the best ever United team i'd seen i'd pick Ronaldo and Giggs as my wingers but I don't think Becks is that controversial.

I'm not sure on Parker as I don't remember him that well but i'm told he was a very good defender.

Ince was an absolute beast for us at times, very underrated. I'd pick Scholes over him everytime but Ince and Keane would be a pretty fearsome combo.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
There's no coincidence that he picked that team with a lot of those players having had fallouts with SAF although he did later say that he regretted it and that he felt like he disrespected his teammates.

But, and just playing devil's advocate here....

Beckham was 2nd in Balon'Dor in 1999, Keane was 6th that year and i'm not sure if Giggs or Scholes ever made top 10. If i were picking the best ever United team i'd seen i'd pick Ronaldo and Giggs as my wingers but I don't think Becks is that controversial.

I'm not sure on Parker as I don't remember him that well but i'm told he was a very good defender.

Ince was an absolute beast for us at times, very underrated. I'd pick Scholes over him everytime but Ince and Keane would be a pretty fearsome combo.
Keane genuinely seems to hate Gary Neville a bit so it's no surprise that Parker made it in over him.

Eric's Seagull

Giggs and Scholes were really close to SAF and highly thought of. If you look at his all time XI it mostly consists of payers that fell out with SAF (so that probably explains his omission)..

--------------------Peter-------------------------------
Parker---------Bruce----Stam-------Irwin-----------

----------------Ince----Keane--------------------------
Beckham-------------------------------Ronaldo

---------------RVN-----Cantona-------------------

That's 6 players that had serious issues with SAF, coincidence ? naaah
Massive coincidence or not rather. He seemingly nuttier than I thought he was and have some really bad issues with Sir Alex. Not knocking his team but as you mentioned Giggs and Scholes, I think would definitely be in and Parker over Gary Nev is unbelievable to me. Although I like the other some are up for serious debate. Think I'll have to read Roy Keane's autobiographies. Just did a quick look now and has dog Triggs, has his own autobiography well.:lol: Never known anybody else's dod to have an autobiography. That's also going up my list of books to read soon. Crazy. Genius bordering madness phrase was definitely fits this man mate.

clarkydaz

That bit in bold in completely mad and I'm starting to think he was a but miore bonkers than I originally though he was mate :houllier::lol:
He left out Giggs saying ' just because you've had a great career doesn't mean youre a great player'. So that, the Clough comments, and the fact he seemed mortally offended Fergie thanked him for 12 years and not 12.5 yrs shows how much of a chip he carries

Eric's Seagull

He left out Giggs saying ' just because you've had a great career doesn't mean youre a great player'. So that, the Clough comments, and the fact he seemed mortally offended Fergie thanked him for 12 years and not 12.5 yrs shows how much of a chip he carries
Mad mate, was unaware of the Giggs quote in bold, which seems ludicrous. Thanks for sharing. Seems as if he is a guy who gets slighted, that there is no way he would forgive them. Seems as if he has full of potatoes on one shoulder and a spare bag on the other :houllier:

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Massive coincidence or not rather. He seemingly nuttier than I thought he was and have some really bad issues with Sir Alex. Not knocking his team but as you mentioned Giggs and Scholes, I think would definitely be in and Parker over Gary Nev is unbelievable to me. Although I like the other some are up for serious debate. Think I'll have to read Roy Keane's autobiographies. Just did a quick look now and has dog Triggs, has his own autobiography well.:lol: Never known anybody else's dod to have an autobiography. That's also going up my list of books to read soon. Crazy. Genius bordering madness phrase was definitely fits this man mate.
His books are excellent and well worth the read.He's very honest and self critical of himself in the second one particularly.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
This thread caught my eye this morning and so I will simply answer the question.

Marvellous player, marvellous captain, a great leader much like Robbo but without the injuries and fitter because he was a great pro who didn’t drink as much, if at all.
In a word I miss him, I miss him a lot.
In terms of missed games over their United careers...both players missed roughly the same number if you average it out.

People think Robson was injured more than he was and the reverse with Keane.

Nucks

RT History Department
That's really not true, there's no inherent link between being good and passionate about something, and being a dick. It's just that when you're so good at something, people will make excuses for you and it's easier for you to feel self important and buy into your own bullshit because of your abilities and the adoration that you have. But it's also completely possible to be a decent person at the same time.
It's specific to HIS type of leadership. There are other people who did it another way, but the way HE did it, that is absolutely a statement of truth. There are plenty of people out there that follow that same sort of personality (disorder?), that have had success in sports. Let's just look at two obvious examples. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Both guys, hyper type A personalities. Both guys, renowned for holding teammates to extreme levels, because they themselves held themselves to those levels.

Jordan punched Steve Kerr in the face over a situation related to this type of personality. Kobes relationship with Shaq suffered immensely in their prime years, and Kobe was notorious for riding guys who didn't put everything into off season/season training. Those are just two examples off the top of my head. Keane was never the type of individual talent those two were, but he had the same sort of never say die, competitive to death, hold his teammates to an incredible standard mentality. Those guys and those types of leaders? It's a cliche for a reason.

poleglass red

In terms of missed games over their United careers...both players missed roughly the same number if you average it out.

People think Robson was injured more than he was and the reverse with Keane.
Robbo defo injured more in that he'd be out for smaller amounts but more regularly. Roy had that one bad injury that probably skews his record with us. I remember Robbo having terrible luck with his shoulder, seemed to injure that a lot for a while. Roy did this as well, but I recall Robbo more, playing with injuries in games nowadays you wouldn't play, and at times struggling for it. 2 warriors nonetheless. Roy also would have had a lot better back up than Robbo, in that he could afford to miss the odd game if not fully fit. Robbo's body probably at times never fully healed and he's back playing at full speed again. Funny thing is that after all his injuries Robbo played the game to an older age than Roy. What you'd do for one of these in your team now. Forget all the leadership they brought, both were terrific players as well

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It's specific to HIS type of leadership. There are other people who did it another way, but the way HE did it, that is absolutely a statement of truth. There are plenty of people out there that follow that same sort of personality (disorder?), that have had success in sports. Let's just look at two obvious examples. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Both guys, hyper type A personalities. Both guys, renowned for holding teammates to extreme levels, because they themselves held themselves to those levels.

Jordan punched Steve Kerr in the face over a situation related to this type of personality. Kobes relationship with Shaq suffered immensely in their prime years, and Kobe was notorious for riding guys who didn't put everything into off season/season training. Those are just two examples off the top of my head. Keane was never the type of individual talent those two were, but he had the same sort of never say die, competitive to death, hold his teammates to an incredible standard mentality. Those guys and those types of leaders? It's a cliche for a reason.
I dunno man, passing off dickhead behaviour as 'oh that's just HIS personality' doesn't really wash with me. Like you're right, but it's the personality of a dickhead. It is what it is. It's not an excuse.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If I was a player, I would have loved to have Roy Keane on my side. Massive, massive player.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
If I was a player, I would have loved to have Roy Keane on my side. Massive, massive player.
Think I remember Didi Hamann saying something like he never knew another player who had such an effect on his teammates.

lsd

The Oracle
Think I remember Didi Hamann saying something like he never knew another player who had such an effect on his teammates.

Could you imagine if he was playing now with this current Utd team ? I remember the time he wouldn't let Darren Fletcher celebrate a Utd goal because he gave the ball away in the build up .

Leanshig

I love these montages. Keane in his final season with us, aged 34, performing better than any of our current midfielders could do. I think Rooney said Keane was the best he played with at delivering short passes to the forwards.

clarkydaz

I love these montages. Keane in his final season with us, aged 34, performing better than any of our current midfielders could do. I think Rooney said Keane was the best he played with at delivering short passes to the forwards.

Thats pretty wild, even the commentator says how he is dominating the match. imagine pogba played a 90 mins like that, people would cream themselves