What are your feelings on Roy Keane?

Irwin99

I love these montages. Keane in his final season with us, aged 34, performing better than any of our current midfielders could do. I think Rooney said Keane was the best he played with at delivering short passes to the forwards.

He was always excellent at that, the speed of the pass into feet and his awareness was first class.

Statistically his last full season was actually pretty good. He had a high pass accuracy as always and something like 3 tackles per game. It was helped a lot by the 4-3-3 formation and Fletcher doing a lot of his running for him but as a brain on the pitch he still had a lot of worth to the team. Some big performances at Anfield and Highbury that year too.

Foxbatt

Now Ole says that he has had a chat with Roy Keane and he has been to see Keane at his house.

BigBebe

If I were Ole, I would make an arrangement whereby every time the team loses a game, Roy Keane takes the next 3 training sessions.

Foxbatt

The Norwegian however, has revealed he is still close to the former United captain and enjoyed playing under him. He added that the current United squad mirrors modern football in how it lacks natural leaders.

"I know Roy did an interview saying there are many people that claim to be his friends," Solskjaer added. "But I feel we are quite close. We have become friends. He was a fantastic leader. I loved having him as captain.

" I keep in touch with Roy and have been at his house for a cup of tea," said Solskjaer in an interview with the Daily Mail when asked about Keane and the role of United skipper.

"I always listen to Roy and his opinions. I value them very highly."

Leanshig

Can't start a new thread cause of my posting privileges, but a 3 hour interview himself and Neville gave to Off The Ball is causing a big stir in Ireland today, paticularly about his comments about Jon Walters, but this bit is fascinating.

Son

Best midfielder of the premier league era. Our greatest captain. Legend.

poleglass red

haven't seen the video yet, can't watch it in work. Seen his comments on Walters, ward and Arter though. Don't always agree with what Roy says, but I've no issues with what he says about them 3. Typical of the modern shite footballer who think they are better than they are. Their club careers were poor for a reason. I'd love to see us start to bring through our own players, so we don't have to use that rule for shite like Arter and Walters. Seems we have some good youngsters at different clubs, lets hope than translates eventually to the Ireland team.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We’ve all heard that he’s an auld grumpy cnut and that people should just stay away from him. But then I personally know people who have met him on numerous occasions who insist that he’s a very quiet reserved man.
As a player, he was an absolute hero of mine.....and I did meet him once when he was still playing for United.

I was on holiday in Paris, mingling in the crowds, and I did literally bump into Roy Keane coming in the opposite direction.
I must have had a look of total shock as I recognised my hero. my eyes wide, mouth agape, all I could muster was..."Keano"...
He just stared at me and snarled "Feck Off..!" and he shouldered past me.

With that he wife came up to me and apologised saying that he could be such a bastard at times.

Anyway, later that night we were in a restaurant, I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was Roy Keane.
He apologised profusely for our earlier encounter, and he had a couple of bottles of wine delivered to our table...:devil:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The whole thing is in his book and told the same way. Think this is one of those instances when both sides were in the wrong. Keane's interview wasn't such a big problem, but the way he reacted in front of the players sealed his faith in the club. He absolutely crossed the line there.
Saying that, both the club and Fergie could have managed the exit better. The letter saying thank you for your service in which was wrongly written how long he was in the club and pushing him out was also wrong imo. He couldn't sign for a different club at that moment and basically his career ended right there. It wouldn't hurt for Keane to admit his part of the blame though, but he's obviously too stubborn to do that.

Shame really, as it was a fantastic career. Still absolutely love the man.

Last edited:

Leanshig

As a player, he was an absolute hero of mine.....and I did meet him once when he was still playing for United.

I was on holiday in Paris, mingling in the crowds, and I did literally bump into Roy Keane coming in the opposite direction.
I must have had a look of total shock as I recognised my hero. my eyes wide, mouth agape, all I could muster was..."Keano"...

With that he wife came up to me and apologised saying that he could be such a bastard at times.

Anyway, later that night we were in a restaurant, I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was Roy Keane.
He apologised profusely for our earlier encounter, and he had a couple of bottles of wine delivered to our table...:devil:
Thats a fecking brilliant story, and exactly how I'd want a meeting with Roy Keane to go :lol:

Leanshig

it was quite a good interview, he presents his side of it well.
Neville being there was brilliant as it gave it another perspective, the bit about the pool nearly made me spit out my coffee. But the last few bits about Ferguson are very cutting and you could tell how uncomfortable it made Neville

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Roy Dead is Keane to me.

Idxomer

The last few bits in the interview are definitely pathetic and shows how petty he is.

Leanshig

The last few bits in the interview are definitely pathetic and shows how petty he is.
Not really. I think people here tend to view Ferguson as some deity type figure, not a great manager who is flawed like everybody else, Keane included. Being a great manager does mean being authoritarian and ruthless, but selfishness is a side effect of that. Ferguson didn't behave correctly with Keanes departure, he didn't behave correctly with the Rock Of Gibraltar.

Zlatattack

Neville being there was brilliant as it gave it another perspective, the bit about the pool nearly made me spit out my coffee. But the last few bits about Ferguson are very cutting and you could tell how uncomfortable it made Neville

Yeah, he showed no class in how he handled the last few questions.

Idxomer

Not really. I think people here tend to view Ferguson as some deity type figure, not a great manager who is flawed like everybody else, Keane included. Being a great manager does mean being authoritarian and ruthless, but selfishness is a side effect of that. Ferguson didn't behave correctly with Keanes departure, he didn't behave correctly with the Rock Of Gibraltar.
I don't think Ferguson was perfect. But Keane is belittling his best qualities as a manager here and just throwing enough shit at him hoping some would stick, he even managed to take a shot a his wife there too. It's not a good look for him, especially as it was offtopic and without any context.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Is he wrong though? The things that made Keane a great player and Ferguson a great manager obviously mean they have some serious character flaws. Ferguson wasn't a saint like figure, he was a ruthless manager.
He kinda is. He brought out few instances in a 27 years long career to show that the club wasn't always in Fergie's best interest which were needless considering how much he has done for it and what he built. The wife thing was especially distasteful in that context as we all know why and how late Fergie retired.

As for man management? Well, he was that good he succeed to manage Roy Keane his whole career. On top of everything else.

Roy many times in his interviews looks like he wants to be controversial just for a sake of it.

el3mel

Even though Keane and SAF relationship has been very broken for a long time, I actually think both of them deep down respect each other, but they don't want to admit in the media out of pettiness of what happened when Keane left.

clarkydaz

Even though Keane and SAF relationship has been very broken for a long time, I actually think both of them deep down respect each other, but they don't want to admit in the media out of pettiness of what happened when Keane left.
the end sums them up completely, 'its up to him to apologise'. The sad thing is when fergies health was brought up he didn't back down at all

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think he has paranoid personality disorder. Anyone who he feels has had a go at him gets the treatment.

lsd

The Oracle
What's SBC done?

He hasn't spoken to his brother for years over a family row . Isnt that petty ? People fall out and often are too stubborn to ever back down even when they know it would be the sensible thing .

Roy and Alex are no different than anyone else in this regard so just calling one of them petty is well petty

Acole9

Outstanding

Great story that, thanks for sharing. Regardless of what he does or doesn't say about United, I have got a lot of time for the guy.

Keefy18

Anyone who has the slightest bit of cop on with regards body language and looking at Keane throughout last night's s*it show of an interview would know he is little more than a terrified little child telling bare faced lies.

He rarely if ever looks up, he's fidgeting and over compensating with his hands to embellish his story. His eyes are darting around and he's continually looking to his right.

World class player, feckin terrible manager and a scumbag who is little more than a liar.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how...n-to-which-direction-they-shake-their-head-12

Keefy18

He hasn't spoken to his brother for years over a family row . Isnt that petty ? People fall out and often are too stubborn to ever back down even when they know it would be the sensible thing .

Roy and Alex are no different than anyone else in this regard so just calling one of them petty is well petty
I don't think SBC is going public like Keane is and making such salacious comments.

I wasn't even aware of this fall out with Jack, never heard anything of it.