What can Ole do with the current squad of players to help us improve?

beingshe7don

We've all been talking (including myself) on how crap Ole has been and contemplating whether he should be the manager and talking about shipping certain players out or bringing in certain players in January. However, those are a little far-fetched. I would like us to focus on what changes can Ole bring in (immediately) to improve our current tumescent playing style?

Like many of you, I've noticed that Ole has regressed since playing the 4-2-3-1 formation. He started his United managerial career by playing the 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-3) with the starting 11 as below.

---- Martial --- Rashford --- Lingard
---------- Pogba -------Herrera
------------------ Matic
Shaw --- Jones ------- Lindelof --- Young

We've strengthened our defense with the likes of Maguire and Wan Bassaka coming in for Jones and Young. However, we lost Herrera who was very important and we underestimated his influence on the team. I guess we've used Pereira in the role in recent games but he's not the same player. McTominay could be used in that role to break up play but he's not got the playmaking ability to release our forwards. Matic has obviously gotten slower and that's where McTominay has featured for us for the majority of the season. We've had the likes of James and Greenwood come in and although they've been phenomenal, we'll need them to improve with every passing game. A lot of teams have realized that we've depended on the counterattack as our main form of attack which is why most teams have their defense right at the back whereby they nullify the likes of Rashford from finding the gaps and therefore, he can't find any positions to operate and with our two CMs playing deeper than usual, we expect our No. 10 to do all the work of bridging the gap which happens to be Lingard (not good enough), Mata (too slow), Pereira (average but played on the right most of the time).

I think we should give Rashford a rest. He's obviously off-form and injured at the moment. Martial can hold the ball up a lot better than any of our forwards. Hence just have him play as No. 9 consistently. Pogba needs to play higher up the pitch. We can't have two DM in front of the defense. We need to trust Maguire and Lindelof/ Tuanzebe to protect De Gea. Hopefully, Luke Shaw will be back and AWB can continue to do what he's doing best. With that being said, I've got two possible ways in which we could be setup.

---- James ----- Martial ------ Dalot
---------- Pogba --------Garner
--------------- McTominay
Shaw --- Maguire ------- Lindelof --- AWB

With the shortage of forwards, I wouldn't want to burn Greenwood out. Therefore, I wouldn't have him start games or give him 90min games (game in/ game out). Fred seems very inconsistent and I think he and Garner could share the position next to Pogba. Rashford can come on for Martial or James depending whose burned out or playing well. I'm playing Dalot higher up the pitch as almost a forward because of his attacking prowess and ability to cross the ball. He's got a good shot on goal as well. I would bring Greenwood on for Martial or Dalot and give him minutes. Yes, Gomes is more effective as a No. 10 but I think he's done well playing on the left, so I would also give him minutes for James towards the end. I think having Rashford and Martial play together will only burn the two out since we're short of experienced forwards.

We could also employ a 3-4-3 when we are playing any of the top 6.

----- James ----- Martial ---------- Dalot
Shaw
----- Pogba ------- McTominay --- AWB
---- Maguire ---- Lindelof -------- Tuanzebe ------

For this one, I've brought on Tuanzebe instead of Garner and this change could be made in-game if we seem to be bombarded when we are playing the 4-3-3. This gives us better stability and I would be very surprised for this team to concede goals.

What are you guys' suggestions? if you had a chance to talk to Ole and offer ideas on how he could better the current performances given the resources we have at the moment.

dev1l

Wenger yesterday said we need 4 players:
Arsene Wenger :"Now it is too horizontal. Side to side. Backward. Nobody to beat a defender and force chaos, force a one-on-one. They need an overlapping full-back. They need a destroyer. Four players and they can be challenge everything."He added. https://t.co/XAaVgbmqZG

That s a Dm
A fullback
A Rw
And a striker

ATXRedDevil

Wenger yesterday said we need 4 players:
Arsene Wenger :"Now it is too horizontal. Side to side. Backward. Nobody to beat a defender and force chaos, force a one-on-one. They need an overlapping full-back. They need a destroyer. Four players and they can be challenge everything."He added. https://t.co/XAaVgbmqZG

That s a Dm
A fullback
A Rw
And a striker
[Insert Morgan Freeman, he’s right you know meme]

still think we probably need another more creative advanced/box to box midfielder to partner pogba ahead of that destroyer, but can’t disagree with the rest.

Greck

Develop a tactical system that defines their roles and restricts some of them to their limitations. Basic principle in all sports. Limited players are best used that way. AWB shouldn't need to be crossing in a desperation attempt to create a chance in a nothing attack. Lingard shouldn't be played as a creative hub. That just makes their limitations detrimental.

Basically Ole needs help on his coaching team because none of them have it in their locker to implement such

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sell them.

Chairman Steve

The bare minimal for me is implementing a play style. I don’t understand how he’s had half a season where there was zero expectation and was essentially a massive 19/20 prep, which all fans accepted.

But here we are 9-10 months later and we still look clueless in style of play. What is our play style?

God only knows whether he’s actually happy with the squad, especially with his blind faith in ‘Rashy’ suddenly turning into a 30 goal striker. The board definitely deserve all the ire in the world aimed at them for penny pinching and being god awful slow at transfers... but if he is genuinely content with this squad then feck me.

beingshe7don

The bare minimal for me is implementing a play style. I don’t understand how he’s had half a season where there was zero expectation and was essentially a massive 19/20 prep, which all fans accepted.

But here we are 9-10 months later and we still look clueless in style of play. What is our play style?

God only knows whether he’s actually happy with the squad, especially with his blind faith in ‘Rashy’ suddenly turning into a 30 goal striker. The board definitely deserve all the ire in the world aimed at them for penny pinching and being god awful slow at transfers... but if he is genuinely content with this squad then feck me.
Ole was playing fearless football because he knew he wasn't gonna get the job. And now he's got the job, he's playing to keep his job which comes back to fear of losing and conservative football.

He'sRaldo

If we're going to attack, we need to commit to attacking. Damn the consequences, get better footballers once the windows open.The first change needs to be the midfield setup. 2 DM's is too cautious, so revert back to a midfield 3 with Fred at the base.

Now depending on the team, we can do several things with the midfield and attack. I have 2 options in mind:

1) We have quite a few limited but hardworking midfielders who we can use to release both wingers and fullbacks. Their only job will be to win the ball back and move it quickly. It's the only use I can think of for such players. The formation would be 4-3-3, and since we'll have strikers on the wings who come inside early, letting the fullbacks bomb on and the limited mids cover for them would be ideal. In this scenario, we can play Williams and Dalot as they have a lot of attacking potential.

2) We play a diamond midfield, with Pogba at the top, 2 box-to-box on either side, and Matic at the base. Pogba in this role can focus more on attacking, and this formation can be lopsided yet still balanced depending on the personnel chosen. For instance, since Pogba likes to drift left, we can play Dan James as the left striker, and he'll basically act as a winger when on his side, making space for Pogba. Thus Shaw will play as this fits his playstyle, and Dalot can give width on the other side alongside Martial, with a defensive box-to-box beside them. the good thing about this formation is that there are quite a few interesting ways to combine the players. In fact, sometimes Pogba need not even play at the tip if someone like Gomez is up for it.

But to me the most important thing to stress is intent. It's clear as day the team is worried about losing the ball and conceding, so tell them not to worry about that as long as we score goals. Encourage midfield runs, quick passing, aggressive dribbles, aggressive tackles, physical play, etc. Discourage fearful play. As long as we get a true attacking intent into the team, the goals will start coming from everywhere, even the most unlikely of places. We saw evidence of that when he first came in.

Last edited:

dove

Show some fecking anger instead of smiling every time.

Lee565

Really think we need to play Tuanzebe as defensive midfielder until January in premier league games and tough cup games, the guy has power, pace, mobility, decent on the ball and good defensively, we dont need him to be some deep lying playmaker supremo spraying balls everywhere, we just need a guy in that position that can sit deep, defend and play it simple.

Also rashford should start on the right If we go with a formation that requires a right winger as he is not good enough striker, James looks better on the left than him but he's still a better option than periera, lingard or mats on the right and has the work rate to help out awb when needed.

--- -------------de gea
Awb--lindelof--maguire--shaw
----------------tuanzebe
-------mctominay--pogba
-------------------gomes
----------rashford---martial
Or 433 with
------------tuanzebe
----mctominay--pogba
Rashford--martial---james

If we really want to go attacking
-----------tuanzebe--pogba
Rashford------------------james
-------greenwood--martial

Kostur

海尔的老板
Put them on the training pitch, ask some of them to wear bibs of one colour, the others some other bibs, place them in a box, ask one of the guys to go to that funny thing with a flag in the corner of the pitch, ask that guy to kick football into the box a couple of times and ask one bibs group to attack the ball and try to score whereas the other bib guys need to do everything in their might to stop the others guys from scoring. After they've done for a couple of hours tell them that this situation also happens on the pitch and it's called a corner.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Put them on the training pitch, ask some of them to wear bibs of one colour, the others some other bibs, place them in a box, ask one of the guys to go to that funny thing with a flag in the corner of the pitch, ask that guy to kick football into the box a couple of times and ask one bibs group to attack the ball and try to score whereas the other bib guys need to do everything in their might to stop the others guys from scoring. After they've done for a couple of hours tell them that this situation also happens on the pitch and it's called a corner.
:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not a lot. It's an average squad that will get average results.

Sterling Archer

Red wedding. In spirit. Not actually murder just axe them. But not a real axe , metaphorical

The Siege

Performance Enhancing Drugs.

Jokes aside, I honestly don't know what Ole can do to make this team think that it is better than it is, because this is not a great team. I'm done pretending Luke Shaw's going to make it, so effectively this team has no left back. Not one midfielder in this side can screen the defense well enough, let alone do more from a deeper role. And last but not least, literally none of them have scored enough goals in the last few years to make a sizable dent.

And I'm not even mad. This club has totally stopped making sense. I'd much rather go play Dungeons and Dragons on the weekend than watch Solskjaer set some world records of the not-so-great kind.

Gator Nate

Ole was playing fearless football because he knew he wasn't gonna get the job. And now he's got the job, he's playing to keep his job which comes back to fear of losing and conservative football.
Right. He needs to forget the fear - you're always one day closer to every coach's fate of getting fired. Play to win, rather than play to not lose. And he needs wins more than draws right now. Oh, we scored a goal? Great. Let's do the same thing and score another. And a third would help. Being bold might get him fired. Not being bold will get him fired.

Jericholyte2

I think a 3-5-2 would actually be ideal for this, but I would have McT and Fred in midfield with Pogba in front of them.

Axel/Maguire/Lindelof - has an ideal mixture of pace, ability in the air, playing ability to cover most issue. Either Lindelof or Maguire could always push forwards when able with the safety net behind them.

Shaw/AWB as wing-backs - can concentrate more on the attacking side of the game whilst the wide CBs can cover more defensively.

McT and Fred - gives the energy needed whilst also having protection of the three CBs behind them

Pogba in front - less defensive responsibility and, with a more compact midfield would have more space.

Martial and Greenwood as STs - both natural finishers, both able to drift wide if needed but working best in the box.

Hip Hop

Errm..coach them?
This. You can do much better than what he is doing right now. No style, no pattern of play, nothing to see here. He is just fooling everybody with youth, running, smiling and that's it.

He is out of his depth but i don't blame him, just like Moyes, you can't turn down that opportunity.

dove

I think a 3-5-2 would actually be ideal for this, but I would have McT and Fred in midfield with Pogba in front of them.

Axel/Maguire/Lindelof - has an ideal mixture of pace, ability in the air, playing ability to cover most issue. Either Lindelof or Maguire could always push forwards when able with the safety net behind them.

Shaw/AWB as wing-backs - can concentrate more on the attacking side of the game whilst the wide CBs can cover more defensively.

McT and Fred - gives the energy needed whilst also having protection of the three CBs behind them

Pogba in front - less defensive responsibility and, with a more compact midfield would have more space.

Martial and Greenwood as STs - both natural finishers, both able to drift wide if needed but working best in the box.
The problem is that both of them are quite bad going forward, we would still struggle creating chances.

AneRu

I think a move to 3-4-3, the second option in the OP is better as it masks our weaknesses - no top class DM, No.10 or RW but then AWB and Shaw aren't the best offensively.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Become a good coach?

redIndianDevil

Formations are just numbers for an uncoached team, you setup any formation, we will only resort to passing the ball to James outwide and hope he does something.

The best thing OGS can do is actually coach us, if thats a bit difficult, he has to leave.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hope that Rashford and Martial are available every game, so that we can utilise the one plan which seems to be a lot of hard running, and knocking it to them and hoping they can magic something.

In reality, Ole or not, we're hoping to stay vaguely decent until the summer, where we need a big set of signings to make us anywhere near competitive again.
Chances are it'll be under someone else though.

zenith

We need to go back to the first game of the season and see what we did right over there and try to use that as a template

Kostur

海尔的老板
We need to go back to the first game of the season and see what we did right over there and try to use that as a template
Great, all we need is the teams to be as naive as Chelsea were that game and let us play on a counter while they're kicking the ball around, having all the possession and being fecking shit with it. (recently we've done that)

beingshe7don

For those who claim that Ole needs to start to coach the team? I just wanted to play devil's advocate and state that we already have coaches with the likes of Carrick, Mckenna, and Phelan coaching the team. Mckenna and Phelan are pretty experienced coaches. How is it that we are still failing? Ole is not a coach like Pep & Klopp. He's more of a manager like Jose, Van Gaal and so on. So do our coaches need to be blamed equally for how the team is performing?

dove

For those who claim that Ole needs to start to coach the team? I just wanted to play devil's advocate and state that we already have coaches with the likes of Carrick, Mckenna, and Phelan coaching the team. Mckenna and Phelan are pretty experienced coaches. How is it that we are still failing? Ole is not a coach like Pep & Klopp. He's more of a manager like Jose, Van Gaal and so on. So do our coaches need to blamed equally for how the team is performing?
Yes, our entire coaching staff is terrible, one of the worst in the league. Combine it with a clueless manager and you get what we have now.