What can/should we expect from Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and Chong?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sullydnl, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jul 13, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

The four young players knocking on the door of the first team. How far can they go?

For those of you who have watched them closely, who among them do you think can really make it here? Or who is more likely to be left behind?

How much can/will they feature in the first team this season?
  2. Jul 13, 2019

Judas Open to offers

Chong still looks miles off honestly, best he can hope for is some cup game appearances, unless we have a major injury crisis.
  3. Jul 13, 2019

Nickosaur Full Member

Greenwood will be a star.
  4. Jul 13, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Mason has the best chance I think because he can play on the right wing.
  5. Jul 13, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Chong needs a loan I think. He needs a long string of games to iron out his inconsistency. Don’t think we can offer that. The other guys look like they could offer more. Not seen enough of Garner to have an opinion on him.
  6. Jul 13, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Doubt Chong and Garner will play much for first team this season. Gomes and Greenwood should get few games, especially in Europa league.

Also if we don't sign RW then Greenwood should get few more starts.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  7. Jul 13, 2019

Judas Open to offers

Agreed about Chong. Think a loan is much needed for him, would really benefit him.
  8. Jul 13, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    They'll all make it in some capacity. :devil:
  9. Jul 13, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Mason is a certainty imo
    Gomes will make it if given a chance
    Garner will be good next season or the season after
    Chong is nowhere near a United player imo
  10. Jul 13, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

What about Chong?
  11. Jul 13, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Is it that Chong isn't ready for the step up or isn't capable of the step up?
  12. Jul 13, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

:D

Meant Gomes and Greenwood should get few starts.
  13. Jul 13, 2019

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

Agree Chong needs a loan, perhaps in the Championship, where he can play regular competitive football and we can see what he's really capable of. For the moment I'm not sure he'll make it with us, but I'd love it if he could step it up.
  14. Jul 13, 2019

settembrini Full Member

All four could make it at United. There's a reason they are the four that have been fast tracked into the first team squad and not Laird etc. Chong does seem to be one who will struggle with the step up the most though. He's technically the weakest of the four players and loses it the most due to sloppy control and passing. The other three don't really have any obvious weaknesses unless you count Gomes being tiny.
  15. Jul 13, 2019

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

A new contract hopefully.
  16. Jul 13, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Both Gomes and Greenwood looks very ready and Garner not far behind, so compared to that then Chong is the odd one out but you can't really write off players with such a big potential either. Chong might not make it but he has a lot of time on his side still. I'll say as much as if he do end up making it in the fashion of say Lingard, then he'll definitely be a more dangerous player compared to JLingz. He has a lot to learn but if Chong improves then his raw talent will quickly make him stand out. As for right now, he lacks in a lot of aspects needed to play a part, imo.
  17. Jul 13, 2019

tenpoless Full Member

They can give us Janujaz moments next season.

And I really hope so.
  18. Jul 13, 2019

Hugh Jass Full Member

Greenwood looks very good. Gomez looks good.

Chong looks poor. Looks like he is nervous.
  19. Jul 13, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

Ideally they should give us Scholes or Beckam kind of moments... I am not sure who would be the last forward from the academy that would be a "killer" so in that sense, it would be refreshing to see good options.
  20. Jul 13, 2019

hobbers Full Member

Seen absolutely nothing from Chong, don't think he'll ever be a Prem-level player.

Gomes and Greenwood look like real talents.

Garner.... nothing to say one way or the other really. He's an academy central midfielder though so in all likelihood he won't make it.
  21. Jul 13, 2019

Dazzmondo Full Member

Gomes and Greenwood should be given some game time. Hard to tell how well they'll do at a higher level though, obviously they performed better today than they ever did in the few appearances they got last season so people shouldn't underestimate how difficult the step up is. Chong was really poor on the right, looked a bit better on the left. Let's see how he does in the next few pre-season games. I don't think Garner's ready yet but let's see how he does with more mins. Loans aren't always the best options, I'd only send Chong and Garner on loan if we're sure they'll get game time. Can always continue their development at the club, both are still young.
  22. Jul 13, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Gomes - because of his physicality, will have a slower introduction IMO but can become quality player and a starting 11 player for a truly big team that can compete for trophies. Hopefully we keep him long term, ability and technique not the question with him.

Greenwood - Potential world class striker IMO. Van Persie-esque in so many things he does. As always with any young player making the jump, question will always be mentality and fitness, but I'm confident he'll be a starter before the end of the season.

Chong - Don't think he'll stay here long term. Go out on a few loans like Fosu Mensah before settling at a lower/mid table club. More pace than talent.

Garner - haven't seen enough of him, but he hasn't ever particularly stood out when I have, but it's also much more difficult to stand out as a young midfielder like that. It's also a much slower development process with those types. Would say if he does become a United player eventually, he's a few years away from any serious role.
  23. Jul 13, 2019

Rifer Full Member

Just give it their all always with the little chances they will be given.

Be free to make mistakes if they have to, it's fine as long as they try to redeem it afterwards.

:D Nothing else.
  24. Jul 13, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Greenwood and Gomes should be in contention for a main lineup position 5-6 years from now, otherwise I'll be disappointed.

Garner, decent squad player.

Chong, can't see him making it here, though he's not a poor player.
  25. Jul 13, 2019

BrianMcClair'sBarnet New Member

This.
  26. Jul 13, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

Greenwood will be star here.
    Gomes and Garner can be groomed as squad players
    Chong needs more time in reserve, or get a loan out. He is clearly not ready yet.
  27. Jul 13, 2019

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Three of our current midfielders are from the academy?
  28. Jul 13, 2019

dev1l Full Member

Based on today s performance:
    Greenwood is almost ready.
    Gomes good but physically needs to improve
    Chong similar to Gomes but needs to speed up his decision making
    Garner - too early but looks promising.
  29. Jul 13, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Not convinced by Chong.

Greenwood has to be prioritised and from what I've seen Gomes deserves chances too.

Don't know enough about Garner
  30. Jul 13, 2019

HJ12 New Member

These kids still have plenty of time on their side so it's early days to say whether they will/won't make it here. But for a readiness assessment for the current season, my opinion on them as follows:
    Chong in particular has a way to go, so we'll wait and see on him. Nowhere near ready for first-team football for a top club yet, and has quite a bit of work to do.
    Greenwood isn't too far off and could probably move between the first team and the reserves in the coming season as needed.
    Gomes absolutely needs to be integrated into the first team squad - no reason why he cannot be considered back-up to our current lot. He looks ready to make the step and we should be facilitating that in the coming year.
    Garner's probably not ready for first team yet either, but I have high hopes he'll make it with us (so I do hope I'm wrong about not being currently ready and he goes on to have a Fabregas-type breakout season for us!). Having watched him in the reserves a few times, it seems his reading of the game and excellent passing range will stand him in good stead in future. Also he's got a pretty good ability to play the ball between the lines, which we could always do with.
  31. Jul 13, 2019

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Don't know if I'm going to expect anything because I feel that'd put a lot of pressure on them. With Gomes, Greenwood and Garner though you've got three actual footballers. I don't think we'll see much of Garner compared to Greenwood or Gomes, not this season at least. The more I see of Gomes in the first team the more I'm convinced his height won't hold him back in the slightest, he's too good of a player, if anything his low center of gravity is an advantage. His agility is unbelievable, you can tell the players he looked up to as a kid through his dribbling style.

I want to see a lot of Greenwood and Gomes next season because of how dynamic they both are, they're both good enough to make an impact on our attack now to be honest. With Greenwood as well, you're not just adding a great footballer but a fantastic athlete which obviously Solskjaer seems to be adding to the squad (Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James point to that). I don't think they'll be starting loads in the PL but they'll be on the bench plenty and have their chance for proper game time in the cup competitions.

Chong looks a million miles off to be honest, I think he'd suit a loan. He's not as good on the ball as the other three so he looks a lot more raw, he needs time to hone his technical skills.
  32. Jul 13, 2019

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

I'd probably agree with this. I reckon Greenwood will get plenty of minutes next season, Gomes a few here and there. Too early for Garner (although the lack of quality in that position and a few injuries might change that). Don't honestly think Chong will make it.
  33. Jul 13, 2019

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Greenwood will be an absolute star unless his Ravel Morrison's it.
  34. Jul 13, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

Id loan Chong out.

He has to compete with Rashford, Martial, Lukaku (if he’s still here), Lingard, Mata, Gomes and Greenwood for a spot wide. He’s probably last choice.

Gomes and Greenwood should be integrated into the squad. Europa Group/League Cup games. If they aren’t getting game time by Christmas they can be loaned too.

Garner I think would benefit from staying at the club most. I think after Greenwood he’s the most likely to make it.
  35. Jul 13, 2019

the hea Full Member

Tuanzebe looks like he will at the least make a decent PL defender and to me is the one that is closest to the starting eleven right now from the players mentioned. Gomes and Greenwood both looks like very good prospects but i wouldn't expect too much from them this season, they both lack any proper experience from senior football. Hopefully we will be able to provide them with that this season and they will be able to start challenging for a starting spot the season after.
  36. Jul 13, 2019

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Chong and Garner to probably go on loan. Greenwood, Axel and Gomes should feature for us.
  37. Jul 13, 2019

Superden New Member

i cant believe how hasty everyones being on Chong, he's only played 46 mins of premier league football, is only 19, and yet he's already written off...
  38. Jul 13, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Gomes and Greenwood will be stars here. Garner still has a bit to go. Needs to build up and get stronger.
    He has good passing ability and is a very good reader of the game for a 17 year old, just needs more strength if he's going to play as a DM.
  39. Jul 13, 2019

Roboc7 Full Member

Chong is just making up the numbers i feel, looks long way off and surely would gain more from going out on loan.

Hard to know how much others will play as a lot will depend on what does or doesn’t happen in transfer window. Greenwood surely has to be given regular time in the Europa at least, Gomes and Garner probably get less time.

We’ve kept a of squad players around so those are going to continue to play regularly ahead of these youngsters, don’t agree with it personally but I think it’s the reality.
  40. Jul 13, 2019

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

Some lads just look totally at home among other top players. Gomes is definitely one of them.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019