What can/should we expect from Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and Chong?

DSG

Every player is different... that’s my disclaimer. And I’m not comparing Greenwood to these players. He’s got miles to go, but it’s important to look at comparable situations when deciding how much first team football to give a youngster.

Messi: 25 appearances at 17. Owen: 44 appearances at 17. Rooney: 38 appearances at 17.

I feel like Owen was played too much too early, and his career died out by the time he was 26/27. Rooney was also played a lot, but held out til 30-31 until steep decline. Messi was held back a bit, mostly thru injuries.

I’d like to see Greenwood start 15-20 matches this season with 5-10 sub appearances. He needs experience at this level. Maybe total appearances around 25.

Gomes I’d like to see 5-10 starts and 5 substitutions. I think we are more likely to affect his durability playing him at the top level too much at an early age.

Chong is an athlete, not a footballer. He needs to go on loan. He’s old enough that he should be playing with grown men week in, week out.

Garner should be a sub in league cup and Europa League matches, maybe 5 appearances or so.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Depends if we take the Europa and league cup (and F.A cup) seriously as to how many games overall they will get but if I was thinking about PL
Id say perhaps a start - probably a few gaes off the bench
Gomes / garner / chong - perhaps a few games of the bench

Id be surprised if between them there was 5 starts and 15 subs appearances... i.e. in about half the games perhaps one will get off the bench for a while and who knows with injuries / good performances perhaps even a few starts in games at some point

i suspect though that most of their games will come in early european anf league cup games

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Greater things than the Class of 92. Everything the Babes could have been. The most incredible group of youngsters to come through at any club in a generation.

dutchred

Gomes I’d like to see 5-10 starts and 5 substitutions. I think we are more likely to affect his durability playing him at the top level too much at an early age.
I hope more than that
At lest 20 starts with some subs. He's ready

romufc

Greenwood and Gomes should be starters in the Europa league. This would allow Rashford, Pogba to concentrate on the Prem games.

thomas porter

Greenwood and Gomes should be starters in the Europa league. This would allow Rashford, Pogba to concentrate on the Prem games.
I personally think right now Greenwood is the best option we have for the right wing. From what I've seen Daniel James is more comfortable on the left, and Mata/Lingard want to play as 10's rather than give us some width.

What I'd love to see is us give AWB and Greenwood the start vs. Chelsea and commit to developing that partnership over the course of the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Greater things than the Class of 92. Everything the Babes could have been. The most incredible group of youngsters to come through at any club in a generation.
No pressure then

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Gomes and Greenwood have the most chances for minutes based on the current squad if we line up as we have formation wise in pre-season.

Gomes/Mata at the point of midfield can make things happen and move the ball quick. Greenwood offers good movement across the front 3, but with our limited options on the right side that could be to his advantage.

Don't expect them to set the absolute world on fire - just can see them contributing at fixture congestion points this season, with an eye to really push on in a years time.

Chong and Garner more league cup games than anything right now. Garner a tougher route with the midfield experience ahead of him. Similar for Chong on the left, a lot of options there.

Trophy Room

Gomes as I said before is the most ready of the lot. Very impressed by him. I hope Ole has the balls to start him regularly next season.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I disagree. United 92 and Barca's Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pique group were better

izec

Gomes and Greenwood are ready to step up. Chong and Garner i dont know, i feel Chong needs a loan and Garner is still a year too early.

The first two are great talents though, big fan of Gomes especially. He would be starting in the Bundesliga or La Liga week in week out at a decent club

KW2006

If Lukaku leave and we don't buy a attacker, then Greenwood could really compete with Lingard and Mata for a starting place in the attacking 3.

Treble

People are quite optimisitc. There is a huge gap in quality between youth level and the PL. Several friendlies (against poor/average teams) prove little. I'd be surprised if any of the youngsters established himself as a regular starter next season. The battle for a CL place will be brutal and there isn't much room for experiments and mistakes. Those who think that Greenwood/Gomes are already better than Mata/Lingard or on the same level and ready to displace them in the first team have unrealistic expectations.

GailSpaceWynand

Question should be - what can these 4 expect from us this season?

Answer: Patience.

deafepl

I disagree. United 92 and Barca's Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pique group were better
If you include Xaxi, Iniesta, Messi and Pigue group even though they're in different group ages. We have Pogba, Axel, Henderson, Rashford. Gomes, Greenwood, and Garner all look they are capable of breaking through, I think it is the best academy groups set we had since the class of 92.

United of 92 class production is something else that would be impossible to replicate by any club in the future, they're on another level in production duration, they all came up at the same time. Many clubs can bring one at the time but not many clubs could bring all at the same time.

GailSpaceWynand

If you include Xaxi, Iniesta, Messi and Pigue group even though they're in different group ages. We have Pogba, Axel, Henderson, Rashford. Gomes, Greenwood, and Garner all look they are capable of breaking through, I think it is the best academy groups set we had since the class of 92.

United of 92 class production is something else that would be impossible to replicate by any club in the future, they're on another level in production duration, they all came up at the same time.
Class of 92 - I agree.

Pogba, Axel, Henderson, Rashford. Gomes, Greenwood, and Garner > La Masia graduates? I'm a United fan and a very optimistic one at that - but come on.

dutchred

People are quite optimisitc. There is a huge gap in quality between youth level and the PL. Several friendlies (against poor/average teams) prove little. I'd be surprised if any of the youngsters established himself as a regular starter next season. The battle for a CL place will be brutal and there isn't much room for experiments and mistakes. Those who think that Greenwood/Gomes are already better than Mata/Lingard or on the same level and ready to displace them in the first team have unrealistic expectations.
I think you are right and I hope that no-one believes they can play a full season but I hope and expect them to play a big part this season

deafepl

Class of 92 - I agree.

Pogba, Axel, Henderson, Rashford. Gomes, Greenwood, and Garner > La Masia graduates? I'm a United fan and a very optimistic one at that - but come on.
Did I say they're better than La Masia graduates? I said I think it is best academy groups set we had since the class of 92.

Class of 92 and La Masia is not the same thing, La Masia brings one at the time, Class of 92 players breaks through the first team at the same time which is unusual, I can't think of anything better than Class of 92. Many clubs tried this but not many of them actually turn out so good, like 1 in 4 players turn out to be the first team quality.

GailSpaceWynand

@deafepl

Ohok. As stated before - Class of 92 was the greatest youth breakthrough ever (made even better by that idiot Hansen's comments)

I just don't think this current group may reach those heights - doubt anyone will which is not saying they are not potential WC. Also La Masia's crop of world class players coming through was a big thing if you see what they have achieved in the game i.e legendary status. It's not happening anymore (if you don't count Arthur I don't see any other upcoming first team player from La Masia) but we're still producing potential world beaters. To reiterate CO92 > La Masia 07-08 > these 4/united academy > La Masia

Edy2

Going by the desire and quality they showed today I think Greenwood and gomez will have supplanted martial and lingard as first team players by Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood and Gomes should get game time this season. I'm not saying start them, but get them game time off the bench and in the cups.

Loan for Chong and another season in the reserves for Garner.

I don't see any reason why Tuanzebe, Gomes and Greenwood shouldn't get some of Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Pereira, Mata, Lingard & Sanchez's minutes.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Greenwood - Very good debut season, 10 + goal(in all comps), solution to lack of solid RW options, could mark himself as a PL superstar.

Gomes - Good debut season marked by mostly cameos in league games and starts in cup comps.

Chong - Needs a loan and a mid to lower league Bundesliga side might be the best option his lack of physicality may mean the championship might not be best place for him.

Garner - A loan to a championship side could be the making of him as he could a similar season to a Mason Mount or other young English CM's who have had good seasons down there. I think he should be ready for a season out on loan.

LuckyScout78

Greenwood shall be focus to be a striker. Because as a right winger. Sancho is just 1 1/2 year older than Greenwood. As a RW and winger play far from Greenwood. But as a striker and goalscorer. Greenwood is better and can reach a higher level.

United and Ole shall develop Greenwood as a CF. That is my best recommendation. A left foot CF like Lukaku and Saha.

Line up like this.

Sancho - CM - CM - Martial/James + Greenwood/Chiesa + Rashford/Martial

United shall buy Jadon Sancho. Ideal right foot winger and wide winger.
18 and delivered the season like he did for Dortmund. Its just to take the hat off for him. Consistent trough whole seaso. And with Dortmund strength theirs attacking with Julian Brandt and a new really good full left back in Nico Schulz. Im sure Jadon Sancho will have a good season to come. Playing for a really good top 2 team. Life will be easier on the football pitch.

Again. Im sure Greenwood will never become a better winger than Sancho to be really honest. Reason United shall buy Sancho after Dortmund. Will love to see rw with a right foot ala Beckham and Kanchelskis again. And a left winger with a left foot. Greenwood will be still inconsistent as rw this year. Not as good ball control and skill like Sancho. And its true fact, at this moment.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Greenwood will get games and score goals if he can start showing the same composure he does at reserve/youth level.

The others it's difficult to say as it depends what direction Solskjaer decides to go in and how much trust he places in youth team players. Gomez and Chong can potentially contribute. Particularly Gomez. Garner it's maybe a bit early. He's a central midfielder and physically he'd get banged up, and we don't exactly have the type of midfielders who'll help carry him through that.

deafepl

Greenwood shall be focus to be a striker. Because as a right winger. Sancho is just 1 1/2 year older than Greenwood. As a RW and winger play far from Greenwood. But as a striker and goalscorer. Greenwood is better and can reach a higher level.

United and Ole shall develop Greenwood as a CF. That is my best recommendation. A left foot CF like Lukaku and Saha.

Line up like this.

Sancho - CM - CM - Martial/James + Greenwood/Chiesa + Rashford/Martial

United shall buy Jadon Sancho. Ideal right foot winger and wide winger.
18 and delivered the season like he did for Dortmund. Its just to take the hat off for him. Consistent trough whole seaso. And with Dortmund strength theirs attacking with Julian Brandt and a new really good full left back in Nico Schulz. Im sure Jadon Sancho will have a good season to come. Playing for a really good top 2 team. Life will be easier on the football pitch.

Again. Im sure Greenwood will never become a better winger than Sancho to be really honest. Reason United shall buy Sancho after Dortmund. Will love to see rw with a right foot ala Beckham and Kanchelskis again. And a left winger with a left foot. Greenwood will be still inconsistent as rw this year. Not as good ball control and skill like Sancho. And its true fact, at this moment.

I'm going by what I have seen from Martial if Martial continues playing like shti and Greenwood to have a breakthrough season. I think Sancho will bench Martial if we buy him next season. He's better in LW than he was in RW.

LuckyScout78

I'm going by what I have seen from Martial if Martial continues playing like shti and Greenwood to have a breakthrough season. I think Sancho will bench Martial if we buy him next season. He's better in LW than he was in RW.
Yeah Sancho is two feets player. So he can play on both sides. But im not sure if James can play as RW.

But my point is. Dont make and go all in to make Greenwood as RW and drop to buy Sancho. Then others big clubs come and buy Sancho and Greenwood doesnt hit the top level as a RW. Then you miss on both.
United and Ole shall go back to 442/4411 formation. With CF upfront. And Sancho and Martial/James as wide players. Thats the way to go.

I dont think United will get success with a 433 formation. Drop it.

CF/supporting striker options : Rashford, Greenwood, Martial. And i will love to add a really good nr.10. In Federico Chiesa. Then you have 4 really good options to choose from.

You have a really good natural right winger in Sancho out there. Really close to the top level. You dont buy and hope Greenwood to reach a really good RW level. Sancho has proven his really high level for Dortmund. The problem is United teammates level. Players like Bruno and Chiesa.

If United are buying Sancho, Bruno and Chiesa. Then United are showing they are really mean to become a really dominate team again. A statement. Get one of the future best right winger. Future best Portgual and Italy attacking creative players. Sum of this. You are showing ambition and you really mean it. And of them are young and have really high current level. Bruno 24, Sancho 19. Chiesa 22 this year. Short and immediate go for top 4 and capable of winning premier league in 3/4 years.
And if you add a top dcm and CB to those 3 players. Then you are clearly building a really good team. Really fast and skillful attacking players. But are missing a top dcm and maybe a CB. And a new top goalkeeper if De Gea is leaving.

Sancho is a must buy. If United want a really good right winger in the future. A future winning team. Because so far. Greenwood hasn’t convinced me enough as RW.

DSG

I hope more than that
At lest 20 starts with some subs. He's ready
I really do worry about his durability at that size. He’s 5’3” and not exactly built like Veratti or Modric, who’ve got more meat on them. I do think he’ll get stronger as his body fills out.

Heffo

Greenwood--For me Greenwood is a star in the making, two footed, reminds me alot of a young van persie with his stride and balance. I really think he will be our standout emerging player this year if given the opportunities

Gomes, its basically now or never but he made decent cameo in the first friendly so hopefully he will get an opportunity ahead of some of the dead wood. He has ability and needs games to see how he performs. Jury is out.

Garner-- Talented lad and one who along with Levitt will emerge and hopefully be a big player for us over the years, however at present i still think he needs more time to develop in the younger teams,as do the club if they are pursuing longstaff.

Chong- has showed flashes of brilliance in the youth teams but i think he is still very raw and i would argue he is not ready and needs another season in u23's to develop physically and to help his decision making.This one could go either way.
Bit overdramatic on Gomes. He's not even 19 yet, Levitt is only 2 months younger than him hasn't sniffed a first team opportunity yet. Typically players of his physical stature take longer to establish themselves, so in that sense he's arguably ahead of schedule. Only a slight notch below Greenwood in terms of talent imo.

I think the only way it's "now or never" is if he decides to leave the club to get more first team chances rather than sign a new contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure which thread is best suited.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This is the only difference between past seasons, where if we didn't sign anyone, we don't even have any decent prospects to blood. I just hope they all get some good minutes next season.

The One and Only

This will be a breakout season for both Gomes and Greenwood. They will be called up for the national team by next year. This is a spoiler, not a prediction.

Chong..I am not too sure about. And it's too soon for Garner. He should be integrated gradually into the first team in the next couple of years.

Alemar

The four young players knocking on the door of the first team. How far can they go?
Garner needs a loan to a lower league. Chong needs a loan to a stronger side (perhaps outside the UK).
Gomes shall be a squad player.
Greenwood may challenge to be a starter already.

Untd55

Greenwood and Gomes should be getting games in the first team, particularly Gomes. I think these two are our best youth players by a bit of a distance.

Chong looked good in the last game, but I am still not convinced he will make it here. I think he may play games, but I think he should be behind Gomes and Greenwood.

Garner - possibly loan, although I find most loans are pretty useless. Most of the time they end up not playing.