What can/should we expect from Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and Chong?

MAME DIOUF 32

When I've watched Chong for the u23s he can often run past several defenders with ease. That level isn't enough of a test for him but today he looked miles away from the first team, so there's really only one option. I wish he was a bit further along because we don't really have a player who can dribble like that. Not a lot of teams do.

Greenwood will get games and if he can calm down he'll start scoring goals.

Gomes looked great today. Considering how utterly useless we often are in the areas he influenced then I'd hope a good preseason will put him in the first team picture.

Garner, I don't know. The alertness to nab the ball and coolness of his finish were excellent, but it's probably too early to expect him to be pushing the established midfield players.

Trophy Room

Greenwood is not ready yet for consistent first team responsibilities. I’ve not been as enamoured with him as everyone else. He’s quite decent, don’t get me wrong but I think Rashford has the edge over him long term to play up top. Say what you want about Marcus but the lad was fearless the moment he stepped into first team football. Mentality goes a long way at the top level. Greenwood has talent no doubt but so far I haven’t seen that X factor one notices in those with world class potential. He obviously needs more time to assimilate at this level but I think he’ll find it more difficult than we all think to establish himself in the first team. One of his best attributes however is his movement, this gives me confidence that he has a good understanding of the game and space. I hope and pray he stays away from big injuries.

Chong is not elite level. I don’t think he’ll make it here.

Love Gomes. I’d start him in a midfield 3 with Pogba and McT. He’s ready.

Garner is interesting. I’d start him in the Europa League.

Last edited:

Gomes

Weird how the mood changes. A couple of hours ago we needed 3 new midfielders, now we have too many of them and should be afraid of losing an 18-year-old.
Nevermind those 4, we should apparently have Axel as our number one defender, even though Smalling was obviously the best defender in this game.

Pointless overrating that does no good to anyone.

Handré1990

Chong is the odd one out. Doesn’t seem to have the close control of Greenwood and Gomes. Garner I’ve not seen enough.

Saffron

I don’t think we should expect anything from non-first teamers. What good does it do? High expectations - can make young players crumble. Low expectations - can rob them of confidence.

Ekeke

Greenwood and Gomes have a shot at making it as squad players. Chong I think we'll be lucky if we get a season like Januzaj had out of him. He'll be a decent player at another club. Garner wont make it here as long as we're going after players like Longstaff instead of looking to make our own version.

Wolvereen

Chong desperately needs a loan to get used to the physicality and to refine his feel for the game.

Gomes is a baller. Looked comfortable on the ball and playing with the other first teamers. He has a bright future, whether it’s here or elsewhere. Just way to talented on the ball and possesses football sense.

kidbob

Greenwood is ready for the big time, the best part for him is that we are moaning about his best quality (finishing). the fact he is showing he is ready in every other facet means that when the first goal comes he will explode. He's the best English youth player from u18 to u21 currently.

Gomes is also ready just needs to be protected more due to his size but his technicality means he will also make it big but I imagine he'll be a LW drifting in for 3 years before he makes the 10 spot his role while getting used to the physicality of the League. He's ready to play in the Spanish League but could be a few months until he's ready for the PL.

Garner is ready for Cup games and EL and I reckon by the end of the season will be looking for a starting spot. He is Carrick reincarnated except he excels where Carrick lacked in terms of movement. If he is managed right then he should become a better more consistent version of Carrick.

Chong needs a loan. All the talent in the World but looks like a kid playing men's football. I envisage a tough 3-4 years but if he has the mental strength and works hard he will become a squad player who is a better footballer than Lingard and maybe even a 1st team player if he accelerates his development.

2 guys added because they belong in the same group:

Laird: the guy I'm must sure about after Greenwood, stupidly talented and I think will be groomed for midfield if AWB as we expect makes the RB his own. The lad is very talented and I think one more year and then a year loan will cement him all things going well.

O'Connor: think John O'Shea except more talented. Maybe like Laird he is further away but by 21 if he continues his development I expect at least a great utility player.

Drainy

Greenwood, Gomes and Garner all play with their heads up and have a vision of what is happening around them, which along with their talent sets them apart as young players. They should be squad players this season and play a reasonable amount depending on form, confidence and their physical ability.

Chong needs a loan to get more experience quite badly.

Nr.7

Gomes and Greenwood have the most chance of making it here followed by Garner, who isn’t far off those two.
Chong, though decent, doesn’t look like he has the quality to be a top player.

I’d include Gomes and Greenwood into the squad (real playing time on merit), give Garner a chance in cup games here and there and loan Chong.

OleGunnar20

Mason is a certainty imo
Gomes will make it if given a chance
Garner will be good next season or the season after
Chong is nowhere near a United player imo
Agreed on all.

Chong may have another gear, he's looked pretty promising when I've seen him at youth levels but certainly not ready for the jump yet. Loan seems wise.

Garners always looked solid without being spectacular the few times I've seen him (apart from that strike today!). I'm not a good enough judge of talent to say with him really, but I hope he makes it, seems a good kid.

Greenwood & Gomes are ready this year, especially with the gaps in this squad. I really hope Ole gives them the chances they deserve, in fact I'd take a 5/6th placed finish if it meant we blooded a bunch of promising youngsters and started playing positive football. Long term aims and all that jazz

Welbeckham

Based on what I’ve seen...

I think Greenwood is a special, special talent. I’d already put him on starting XI consistently next season, because he’s simply that good.

Gomes is a neat little player, but I’m not sure about him. Should get more chances to prove that he’s ready. Needs to find the right role for himself.

Chong, to me, he doesn’t look like he will make it. Doesn’t seem to have the technical ability or football intelligence, compared with Greenwood and Gomes for example.

I haven’t seen enough of Garner to form an opinion. However, I don’t think the likes of Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell ever really got this close to first team, so maybe he has something about him, hopefully much more than those who got the sniff, Darren Gibson and Tom Cleverley for example.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As much as I find it cool, Chong needs to sort out his hair, he looks like he can't see shit around him.

Allas8

Only negative about Chong is that he competes with two greater talents then him in Gomes and Greenwood. Chong looks like a greater talent then Zaha as a example. If Lukaku end up staying I recon Chong should be loaned out, if not, who knows, best thing might just be to stay.

Once Chong was moved over to LW he got more active in the game, while James disappeared. First half, Young was our best player and playmaker, so naturally for our LW to be more active. Probably should not read to much into the Perth game anyway.

haram

Mason and Angel have top quality. They are diamonds. Only reason there are questions about Gomes is because of his build.

Castia

Chong needs a loan, potentially to a championship side to get some real game time. He’s not ready for the EPL.

I’ve been impressed every time I’ve seen Gomes but he seems to be the least hyped, I feel he could get some minutes this coming season and if given the chance could be a good player. We need to sort his contract out.

Garner could be a good player but I feel he needs a bit longer in the youth team. Maybe give him some minutes in the Europa and Caraboe Cup.

Greenwood looks naturally talented and I feel like he will be considered a first team squad player this season. Probably has the most potential and could turn out to be a good player for us.

R'hllor

I would expecting them to get tones of minutes this season, there is no reason why not. Of that whole group, maybe Chong looks like he is trying to hard, today he wasnt involved much on the right but on the left after switch he looked ok.

Whole this they aint ready is horseshit, they saying that because of their age, if they were a bit older, they would call them just shit. They aint better at the moment what we have in some positions but they aint any worse either, so lets try to develop them and maybe just maybe we get lucky and one or two of those can take more important role in few years.

peanuthead

Greenwood will probably be the most likely to make it here out of the four, has the talent and right attitude. Chong after would be my guess, he's the most naturally talented out of the four imo but doesn't appear to be fully developed as yet nor have the mental capacity to play for us having said that he's 19 so time is on his side. Gomes looks ready but is if Ole is gonna trust him enough to play in the prem or cup games due to his size, if he gets chances he'll definitely make it here. Garner I haven't seen play so can't comment on him.

KW2006

Greenwood most likely to make it. Then Garner. Chong would end up in the Netherlands league in a couple of years I afraid.

Coops73

I think Greenwood and Gomes have what it takes for this season, not sure about Chong and I haven’t seen enough of Garner but it’s exiting to see these kids make the step up.

tony54

Greenwood and garner seem to have what it takes. The other seem a bit lightweight to me.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Haven’t seen enough of him but surely Garner could be given a go - under 18’s captain, must have something about him?

Havak

Pokemon master
For the most part, they seem to have more noticeable quality than other players that I've been excited about in the past (eg. Wilson, Fosu-Mensah, Borthwick-Jackson). However, my honest opinion of them is that their bodies aren't quite ready yet. Obviously, use the "you can't win anything with kids" quote at your peril, but I think that's what they are right now - kids. I think it's going to take another two years for them to fill out naturally, but Ole will try and give them as many tastes of first team action as he can. I just see no reason to rush them at the moment as we have plenty of exciting young players in the first team already.

Odds will usually say that all four of them will not make it here, but it's also possible we could end up with a similar class of 92 situation if all of Tuanzebe, McTominay, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood and Rashford are part of the first team squad for many years to come. Hopefully, it should mean we can sell some players like Matic, Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku and release Grant and Young over the next couple of years without having to invest too much into replacements.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Greenwood and Gomes can make it. Earlier than many expect.
Garner i have seen too little of, but heard good things. Good goal today, good awareness and finish.
Chong i don't think will make it, too weak, not good decision making. Not seen much of him either, but my impressions after what i have seen.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
i cant believe how hasty everyones being on Chong, he's only played 46 mins of premier league football, is only 19, and yet he's already written off...
He was crap when you played us in the FA cup.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mason - I really expect him to play big part in our first team this season.

Gomes - this is a hard one, I expect to feature some games this season but with Mata & Pereira signed a new contract, I’m starting to worry.

Garner - he’s not ready yet. Still needs to stay in youth for another season or being on loan. I could be wrong since I haven’t seen him enough. My judgement is based on the palace’s game & even the pre season game.

Chong - not good enough imo. If he ever make it, it’ll be late one.

manunited1919

I hope Ole gives Mason and Gomes a shot at giving Rashford and Lingard some real competition for their spots.

Mr Smith

Chong doesn't look like he'll make it to me, and I haven't seen much of Garner at all. Gomez deserves some serious first-team minutes this season, is showing enough. And the big fat hole on our right looks made for Greenwood; I would start bringing him off the bench in that position in the first few league games and if he shows enough give him a run as a starter.

foolsgold

I'd have the lot of them loaned out this season either to decent championship teams, mid level Spanish or German teams, or an old firm team.

They need games to develop and make mistakes, this Manchester United team isn't a safe place for them to develop.

Time is on their side, should get 40 competitive games under their belt and see where they are in 12 months.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Look, we aren't making top four. I want them playing as much as possible. There is no point persisting with players like Mata and Lingard.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Chong has been written off too quickly by too many imo.
The only issue I have with Chong is he doesn't look physically better than this time last year.
He needs to get bigger, he's tall and slim, it makes him too easy to brush over.
Maybe a loan to a Dutch side that will play him would be best, he probably wouldn't play in the championship.

Pat Evra

If Lukaku doesn't stay and we don't bring anyone as replacement, Greenwood could get enough minutes in the first team to stay.

Rest of them should be loaned out as I can't see any of them getting a lot of minutes in the first team yet.

Last edited:

Arka_BleedingRed

Chong has been written off too quickly by too many imo.
The only issue I have with Chong is he doesn't look physically better than this time last year.
He needs to get bigger, he's tall and slim, it makes him too easy to brush over.
Maybe a loan to a Dutch side that will play him would be best, he probably wouldn't play in the championship.
Welcome to the Red Cafe, where some are hyped to the moon, others are strewn aside like dump too quickly. At the national level, Chong has been capped at every level from U15s to U21s. After a bad injury the year before, he has shown great potential last year and at 19, he has time in his side. Not every player is Mbappe, each player has their own way of development and I'm willing to give Chong time, probably needs a loan or two. Gomes and Greenwood seem ready to play a big role for the first team, though.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm really hopeful for Garner, he reminds me so much of Carrick and I think he'll have a top career here, even more so with Carrick in the coaching staff.

If you get chance to watch the reserves or youth teams, you'll see he dictates the play really well and is massively press resistant.

I've not caught enough games to know about his mentality, but he was England captain in the youth teams so that points towards a level of maturity and leadership needed to make it at the top level.