What can/should we expect from Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and Chong?

serxyo

Incredible preseason for Gomes and Greenwood. Gomes reminds me of Papu Gomez from Atalanta. Same playing style, same height.

R'hllor

Give them game time, looking at some seniors this pre season, it would be a joke and mental not to.

Milo2035

All of the 3G have scored. So happy to see our brightest young talents took their chances.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I like the look of the fluid front 4 that Ole is working towards. It reminds me of how Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Park used to play when they would all interchange positions.

Any 4 from Rashford, Martial, James, Mata, Lingard, Greenwood, Gomes, Pereira and Chong (maybe even Sanchez if he stays) are very good options.

Things looking up.

Bestietom

Greenwood, and Gomes can win you games. They are ready. Garner is not ready yet but Chong will get games this season.

Rauður Djöfull

Gomes looks a bit like Chris Rock no? Reminds me of him :P

he was great today though, lovely little interplay with Mata and composure and confidence to put it in through the tight angle. He is exciting.

Hope he signs a new contract, he should be playing some games for us this season, as should Greendwood.
We should not be relying on them just yet but they need games and deserve games, they have worked their butts of during pre season and proved they can just as well play instead of some of our senior players. I know it's only friendlies and like today either team had their best eleven out at the same time but games like today did not really feel like a friendly. High intensity, tackles and aggression in high temperatures.

Also depends on who we sign if we sign more. With Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong and potentially Laird later we have some bright prospects, but everything needs to be done right from them and the club in order to groom and nurture them into first team players going forward, OGS said he is in it for the long haul and it will take time, hoping and guessing (pretty sure) he will give those of them who deserve it some minutes and chances this season.

We won't win the title but with the right signings and right minutes for youngster we may have done great for the future. Slowly taking out the trash while introducing the future. Hope so at least.

zandynaiba

Supports
liverpool
Odds will usually say that all four of them will not make it here, but it's also possible we could end up with a similar class of 92 situation if all of Tuanzebe, McTominay, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood and Rashford are part of the first team squad for many years to come. Hopefully, it should mean we can sell some players like Matic, Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku and release Grant and Young over the next couple of years without having to invest too much into replacements.
When I've watched Chong for the u23s he can often run past several defenders with ease. That level isn't enough of a test for him but today he looked miles away from the first team, so there's really only one option. I wish he was a bit further along because we don't really have a player who can dribble like that. Not a lot of teams do.

Greenwood will get games and if he can calm down he'll start scoring goals.

Gomes looked great today. Considering how utterly useless we often are in the areas he influenced then I'd hope a good preseason will put him in the first team picture.

Garner, I don't know. The alertness to nab the ball and coolness of his finish were excellent, but it's probably too early to expect him to be pushing the established midfield players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Chong supposedly turned down the opportunity to go on loan this season, back to Holland. Bold move to stay and fight for his place, I hope he works hard and gets his opportunity.

cruseofried

Gomez and Greenwood should be getting more game time. How can they possibly improve or show their worth. Gomez is a little genius and Greenwood is the extra striker that we need.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Palace is the game where we should start Greenwood or Chong on rw and Gomes on no10. If they play good, start them next game.
Giving them few minutes in garbage time or when the game is already over is useless. They already passed that phase last year. Now is the time for more minutes. Although i am not so sure that Ole rates Gomes and Chong that much. All that nice talk about kids and so on but when real games started they were out of squad. They were not even on the bench last two games and he even bought James( another young player) for Chong's position.

Only Greenwood will get serious minutes in PL this year. Chong will barely play and Gomes will play in EL.

future2future

Greenwood can't be any worse than Lingard and he has the future so why not give him the chance against Palace? 3 man midfield with Gomes and Greenwood in front alongside Rashford and Martial

Last edited by a moderator:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Greenwood looks to be an exceptional talent, I think he will be star...and he apparently has the mentality to cope with first team football now.

Garner too, seems to have something exceptional about his game, but I think it will take him 3 years to be a genuine first XI player.

Gomes, I'm not convinced that he will cope with the speed of play in the Premier League, buckets of ability though, so I'm 50/50 on him.

Chong, I'm not bowled over by, I'm not sure that he is such an outstanding talent, I think he could fall by the wayside.

Bestietom

I think that Gomes and Greenwood should get more playing time. They are ready and an option for James and Lingard. Surely can't do any worse.

AshRK

Not writing him off, but he plays better on left side, and we need someone for right.
From the little I have seen of Gomes, it seems he is more comfortable playing on left or through the middle. He is definitely not a right winger. As for James, I think he has been more than decent, not great but he looked comfortable playing on the right wing. Still early days so we have to be patient with him.

Von Mistelroum

Greenwood will be class in a few years. Norwood might too if he keeps developing, not sure about Gomes yet as he could go either way like many of our young stars of the past. Chong won't make it here.

doomy20

I´d give more game time to Gomes and Greenwood. I never understand how playing them 5 minutes per game should make them better. Especially up front, like it´s not that much of a risk to play Gomes instead of someone else right. If he can´t cope, drop him. To be honest, i would use them as regular subs every game instead of Mata, Sanchez or someone like that.

Chong is not ready yet for me, needs a year on loan.

pacifictheme

Sadly at this point we're going to need a lot from them. For our front 4 positions we have...

Rashford
Martial
Lingard
Mata
James
Greenwood
Gomes
Chong

How has it come to this?

theklr

They are all now included in the first team section on the official site at least :)

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Sadly at this point we're going to need a lot from them. For our front 4 positions we have...

Rashford
Martial
Lingard
Mata
James
Greenwood
Gomes
Chong

How has it come to this?
Our depth is insanely thin right now. If we don't make the top 4, this will be the reason why IMO. I like our starters better than Arsenal's at this point, but they have more depth.

pacifictheme

Our depth is insanely thin right now. If we don't make the top 4, this will be the reason why IMO. I like our starters better than Arsenal's at this point, but they have more depth.
Indeed. Not having a go at the young players at all but ideally you'd want 5 or 6 first team players in that list (and all of them be better than mata and lingard) with 2 or 3 youngsters to back them up and fill in on occasion. Relying on them like we almost certainly will isn't really fair on them.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Gomez and Greenwood should be getting more game time. How can they possibly improve or show their worth. Gomez is a little genius and Greenwood is the extra striker that we need.
We've had 2 tough games and they're both novices. Show some patience, they'll get their chance when the time is right.

Reiver

Lots of hope, people desperate for them to play. Eventually they'll get a game, do something wrong, half this place will decide they're not good enough and never will be.

Tony247

Chong should have taken that loan move. Same with Gomes if he get a chance.

I can see bright future for Garner and Greenwood.

Allas8

Chong should have taken that loan move. Same with Gomes if he get a chance.

I can see bright future for Garner and Greenwood.
But our current squad needs a winger, why not just stay and wait for a chance, that he surely will get

R'hllor

Is it just me or seems people expect jack shit from seniors compared to those kids.

cruseofried

We've had 2 tough games and they're both novices. Show some patience, they'll get their chance when the time is right.
I take your point but would you say that Lingard who is allegedly a seasoned campaigner has been up to scratch in those games and worthy of almost a whole game against 'tough' opposition. We slaughtered Chelsea 4-0 and should have beaten Wolves where we were dominant for most of the game.

Alabaster Codify7

This thread is going to have a real boom-bust cycle I think, come say midway through the season. A few reality pills will be kicking in.

Greenwood - approximately 20 appearances in all competitions. 3-4 goals in all competitions. Most appearances as sub, final 10-15mins.

Gomes - feck knows.

Chong - approximately 10 appearances in all comps. 0 goals. All appearances as sub, final 10-15.

Garner - approximately 5 appearances in all comps, all as a sub. 0 goals.

Amerifan

All four have potential, but whether they progress will depend on the opportunities they receive. If they’re only tossed on once the game is in hand they’ll either not be able to shine or do the desperate-to-impress ball-hog nonsense that usually fails. On the other hand, if due to injuries or loss of form they get actual chances to contribute to the outcome of the game, they may impress enough to break into the regular rotation. I don’t want to predict injuries or loss of form, so I’ll say any or none of the four.