What can we expect from Erik in the few 5 years?

OleTheGreat

This is my opinion of Erik and what he can achieve, given he gets all his targets..

Season 1- Top 4, a decent run in all the domestic cups and Europa League, hand a good amount of minutes to the academy graduates.
Season 2- Top 3, one of the cups and a semi-final in the CL
Season 3- Title run, CL final and domestic trophy
Season 4- Title, CL consistency and winning trophies is now a habit.
Season 5- Flying start, Flying Finish with a chance to win the quadruple.

I may not have given Erik a lot of time but this is just my wish. Imagine how much more patient I can be if these are my wishes.

WHAT I REALLY EXPECT MORE THAN ANYTHING?
We play attractive football and score a lot of goals. Maybe 100 goals+ in all competitions. Concede fewer than 40 in all competitions (which is still pretty high for a team like Man Utd)

What are your expectations?

Wilt

First season….

Realistically top 6 ….hopefully top 4

A decent cup run ….hopefully a trophy

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This is my opinion of Erik and what he can achieve, given he gets all his targets..

Season 1- Top 4, a decent run in all the domestic cups and Europa League, hand a good amount of minutes to the academy graduates.

I may not have given Erik a lot of time but this is just my wish. Imagine how much more patient I can be if these are my wishes.

We play attractive football and score a lot of goals. Maybe 100 goals+ in all competitions. Concede fewer than 40 in all competitions (which is still pretty high for a team like Man Utd)

:lol:

All pie in the sky mate.

Continuous improvement is all we need to see.
We get that and the silver will follow eventually

Blood Mage

It depends on how well he's backed by those above him. Murtough needs to show his qualities as well.

Paul_Scholes18

This year I hope we can challenge for the title and at least get 5 points against Pool and City and show we can fight with the best.
If that fails at least win a cup with some luck.

Infra-red

I'm expecting things to be a bit of a mess for a few months (probably combined with a few stories in the press about unhappy players and hardcore double training sessions), but we'll eventually see some semblance of organisation and a style of play emerging. It will be difficult and a World Cup falling in the middle of the season will inevitably be disruptive to the process of a new coach trying to get over his ideas to his new players.

This season, a fourth place finish in the Premier League would have to be considered a success.

Skills

Snitch
5 years? Who's to say he'd even want to stick around that long.

Lentwood

I reckon we should run some kind of sweepstake on which game-week we see the first poster calling for him to be sacked.

Personally I think we'll see 10/20% of this forum wanting him out by end of October/early November

OleTheGreat

Sacked in 18 months
Why would you say that? I know u r saying this judging by the pattern in the last decade but a lot of things have changed even in the background and I hope u can a bit more optimistic about the upcoming season and ETG of course.

tomaldinho1

Sacked by Jan and than the ultimate redemption, Van Gaal as interim and we win everything.

Von Mistelroum

Bloody hell that initial post is ambitious with how City are set-up, how Liverpool are doing and the wads of cash Newcastle will be throwing around in coming seasons, I'll be incredibly happy if we can snatch another PL title.

Realistically I would say consistent top 4 is the goal these days, with the odd title challenge and cup win.

Momochiru

Year 1- Finish 4-5, a decent run in the cups, some of our longstanding problems beginning to be fixed and a style of play emerging
Year 2- Backed in the transfer market; style of play firmly established; deadwood mostly cleared and the team getting near to what he wants; top 4, a decent run in the cups; a trophy in the first couple years would be nice
Year 3- Backed in the transfer market; deadwood finally cleared and the team is fully his; Title chalenge, a decent run in the cups; another trophy would be nice
Year 4 and 5- Continue improving the team; Title chalenges and a decent run in the cups and CL; couple more trophies would be nice

Not expected, but if he manages to squeeze one PL title from the 3 title chalenges , that would be a dream, same for CL - one can dream.

honirelandboy

1st/2nd season - Hungry players giving performances week in/week out of 7/10 or more every week and showing heart and commitment every game. If backed well 4th spot will do. I want to see a good style of high pressing football and a sense that the club is going somewhere.
3rd/4th season - Finish top three, trophy and a chance of battling for the title. Young hungry players giving 100% every game and a good starting 11. A sense of style and all the lazy deadwood removed from the club.

I want this Maguire attitude fecked out of the club, "if the manager continues to pick me I mustn't be doing too bad".
I want laziness in Rashford, Shaw, Maguire, Martial fecked out of the club.

Bobade

I'll accept this. Let's lock this down now, happy with it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I remember how we used to mock RAWK incessantly for their cringy five-year plan threads

dove

Nothing. Plan year by year. This year's plan should be TOP 4 and some decent cup runs, although I think it will be tough. "Hand a good amount of minutes to the academy graduates" should be the least of our concerns for the foreseeable feature.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We've just finished a season with 0 GD, so I expect him to trounce that with a whopping +15.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's a two and a half year plan at a maximum as the latest he'll be sacked is Christmas 2024.

Abraxas

Continual improvement, year on year. That's the goal in any job, or really anything you put your hand to. It should be no different for supposedly one of the best managers in the world at a club with resources. If anything he should be expected to achieve at a decent rate because of those things.

I think it's pointless putting exact stipulations for 5 years out, though. If he falls short of one aspect in 3 years time is that a disaster if he's completely revamped our squad and performance? Not really. For now I expect us to get top 4 next year. I don't think it's easy or a foregone conclusion as we're no better than others in contention, but we weren't that far off, if the manager is what he's made out to be it's reasonable.

erikcred

For the first part, you simply mimicked Klopp's trajectory at Liverpool. Could've just said that.

For the bolded part, yes please! I'll take that over anything right now.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Y1 - See a style of play develop as we progress through the season, too 6 finish.
Y2 - a good summer window bringing in players who fit our style. A clear style by the end of the season which is starting to get the best out of our players. Top 4.
Y3 - A comfortable top 4.
Y4 and onwards - competing.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Silverware.

Provided the board backs him and restores the managers authority over the players.

fps

Two years of Man Utd management, year and a half at Everton, Netherlands job.

el3mel

5 years ? Let's think about next season first, shall we ? He hasn't even started yet and you're, fully confident, expecting him to stay for 5 whole years ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'll see how he's doing by January before I start getting misty-eyed over some potential 2027 treble.

RORY65

Let's be real, Liverpool appointed probably the best manager in the world and have nailed the vast majority of things in the last 7 years and have 1 league and 1 Champions League as well as the 2 domestic cups this year to show for it. The likelihood is that Ten Hag isn't as good and the odds are we won't get as many signings/sales right plus we now have to overcome City and Liverpool (and probably Newcastle at some stage) rather than Liverpool having to overcome just City so your opinion of what he can achieve is optimistic, very much a best case scenario.

Making us a consistent top 4 side who play attractive, coherent football who can be a threat to anyone on our day and who hint at the potential of more should be the aim for the next few years and then we have to hope for a bit of luck and for most of the decisions made to work.

NLunited

3d place this season, after that we will be competing with City and Pool for real. Yes I‘m optimistic.

BaneIsPain

Season 01 - Top 6 + cup
Season 02 - Top 4
Season 03 - Top 4 + cup
Season 04 - Top 3
Season 05 - Title challenge + cups

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Implement play style, teething issues, some great performances and some bad ones, but a clear sign of growth as the year goes showing improvement the more we get used to each other and he gets used to the league. Aim to win Europa League, aim for top 4 but there is decent competition there. Either get CL through Europa or top 4.
  2. Make adjustments to overcome premier league issues. Make signings to address players holding us back from performing as he wants. Shouldn't be any significant holes in the team, though not necessarily that everyone is "good enough for a title competitor". Comfortable top 4 finish, showing a good level and style in the big games, showing that we can compete with anyone on our day but lacking consistency to challenge Pep or Klopp. Not be drastically outplayed by anyone. Be seen as a tier 2 club, the tier below the best in Europe.
  3. Sign the players required to make the step up to serious competitors and by the end of the season, be seen as one of the top 5 elite teams.
Step 1 should be season 1, step 2 might be season 2 and 3, step 3 either season 3/4/5. It's hard to say "expect a title win" or "expect a PL win" and flop otherwise, Klopp has been a huge success but only has 1 title win and 1 CL win in 7 years. Hard to guarantee when up against other great teams, but you should target being part of the group. And then luck/stuff out of your control does the rest.