What can we expect from Erik in the few 5 years?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
There are at least 4 better teams than us right now, it's hardly massively low expectations, just realistic.
Are they feck. Chelsea are average and we finished above them twice in the last 3 years. You can’t seriously be putting Spurs above us. They have Kane and Son and then dross. The only reason they got top 4 was because Conte is a good manager, but aren’t we also assuming Ten Hag is a good manager? If he doesn’t get 4th he’s not had anywhere near the impact we should expect. This remains a good squad that we are about to bolster with 3/4 players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Are they feck. Chelsea are average and we finished above them twice in the last 3 years. You can’t seriously be putting Spurs above us. They have Kane and Son and then dross. The only reason they got top 4 was because Conte is a good manager, but aren’t we also assuming Ten Hag is a good manager? If he doesn’t get 4th he’s not had anywhere near the impact we should expect. This remains a good squad that we are about to bolster with 3/4 players.
They are, and will also improve their squads. Every recent season people way over estimate how well we'll do. 4th would be a good season.

TrustInJanuzaj

They are, and will also improve their squads. Every recent season people way over estimate how well we'll do. 4th would be a good season.
Except they don’t. People ridiculed Ole and called him shite and he managed third and fourth. It’s really not that strong a league.

UpWithRivers

If we get the basics right Ill be giddy as fk -

1) A happy, fight together, dont down tools team
2) A proper defined style of play
3) Majority of team playing to their potential and consistently and thats week in week out and year in year out. Id rather you gave a 6 out of 10 week in week out than an 8 for 3 games then a 4, 5, 6 then an 8 then another 4.
4) A proper recruitment policy. Will we get any transfers right!
5) Players getting better not stagnating or getting worse.
6) Getting rid of players at the right time. Not keeping them forever and keep giving them new obscene contracts
7) Players in the right position. Lets stop the Mata and Lingard and Rashford as RW. Pogba in a double pivot. McFred as DM's and on and on. Play them in their right positions and give them a platform to succeed or sell them

Is that too much to ask for?

Leftback99

Except they don’t. People ridiculed Ole and called him shite and he managed third and fourth. It’s really not that strong a league.
You literally argued with me yourself that we were a good bet to win the league last season when I predicted 4th.

TrustInJanuzaj

You literally argued with me yourself that we were a good bet to win the league last season when I predicted 4th.
Which based on the signings we made and the hope that Ole could kick on was fair. Being overly negative is just that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Year 1 cheesy grin, handshakes all round
Year 2 forced smile, a few talk back moments, make Lindelof captain
Year 3 smile gone, blame the board, call everyone stupid cnuts who don’t know football, blame Pogba after effect lingering on

Leftback99

Which based on the signings we made and the hope that Ole could kick on was fair. Being overly negative is just that.
It wasn't a fair assessment of our chances, and so it proved. It's not overly negative to suggest we'll finish around 4th/5th next season, it would just be par. If Ten Hag does better as we all hope then great.

Eli Zee

A good system of play to build upon... he's not Jesus and won't win the CL/PL so fast - Rome wasn't built in a day... hopefully we'll be challenging within 2-3 seasons on all fronts.

Cafer007

A good system of play to build upon... he's not Jesus and won't win the CL/PL so fast - Rome wasn't built in a day... hopefully we'll be challenging within 2-3 seasons on all fronts.
Rome was not built in a day for 2 reasons, Roman kings/republic didnt select John and Ten Hag as their architects

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
You know that's far from what I said. However we have to be realistic and people talking about challenging for the league inside 3 seasons is just ridiculous. Utd have even stated that this is evolution, not revolution. So it's a slow gradual process.

This is more of a restructuring of how the club operates abd a rebuilding of the team over a period of years. ETH has been given a 3 year deal, so people even talking about 5 years is very premature. Sure, I hope and want him to succeed, but success can look different from purely winning the league title.

Success for me is the restructuring of the club and him rebuilding the squad to be able to compete once again for a top 4 finish. At the moment, this current squad is literally mid table at best and results in 2022 show that. With the players that have left and form of the rest of the team, this is a much bigger challenge than some think.
I’m sorry that is very defeatist. Regardless of the current state of the club (which is no worse than Liverpool pre Klopp by the way), any new manager has to be brought in with the express goal of challenging for the league within 3 years. I have no doubt that unless we do just that ETH would be sacked and rightly so.

Lentwood

The fact that you're thinking this way means you're predicting us to be shit comes October/November and are already thinking about how you're going to excuse this and reply on whoever will criticize the manager. This, on its own, is an enough sign to worry about the upcoming season.

All I see is people putting excuses left, right and center before a ball is even kicked. Everyone seems to be expecting a shit season despite a new manager coming and the first thought is how to defend the manager when this happens.

But then we're told to be optimistic after such posts. Ridiculous.
Not at all. My point is that this forum is far too impatient. We're a million miles behind both City and Liverpool, so realistically we're playing for 3rd-place before a ball is kicked.

In addition, it's going to take time for ETH to impose his methods. We've a fragmented Summer with the Nations League and then a fragmented season with a World Cup right in the middle of it.

I personally would consider 4th a good achievement, with anything before than that to be well above what we can realistically expect. However, I expect there'll be posters complaining 'that we're not challenging' or that 'we haven't won a trophy', even though we've no right to expect either of those things yet,

Trex

He'll be in his second year back at Ajax for a second spell by then, resigning De Jong and Timber after we have moved them on for free after only making UCL in his second year at united as his notable achievements via winning the Europa league in his first season at united.

el3mel

Not at all. My point is that this forum is far too impatient. We're a million miles behind both City and Liverpool, so realistically we're playing for 3rd-place before a ball is kicked.

In addition, it's going to take time for ETH to impose his methods. We've a fragmented Summer with the Nations League and then a fragmented season with a World Cup right in the middle of it.

I personally would consider 4th a good achievement, with anything before than that to be well above what we can realistically expect. However, I expect there'll be posters complaining 'that we're not challenging' or that 'we haven't won a trophy', even though we've no right to expect either of those things yet,
I have seen no one expecting Ten Hag to challenge for the league this season, as far as I have seen. However, if December comes and say United haven't shown any signs of identity being build up or improvement in play style or results, I see no reason why it will be illogical to start asking questions.

Honestly, all I see is ton and ton of excuses said for the next season before it even started, which just lowers expectations and sets the tone for having a shit season and anything else will be a surprise. I don't like this mentality personally.

Chief123

I’m wondering at what point in the next 5 years he will stop saying “Please” at the end of sentences instead of “Thank you”.

Is this a Dutch thing or just an ETH flex?

Sir Erik ten Hag

I’m wondering at what point in the next 5 years he will stop saying “Please” at the end of sentences instead of “Thank you”.

Is this a Dutch thing or just an ETH flex?
Gotta show diplomacy somehow. It's my first year here, after all.

Lebo

I expect title challenge next year. All that we need this season is position 2 and Europa league. I’m that optimistic

wolvored

If hes here in 5 years he must have been very successful.
Saying that the rate of improvement, i would think a title challenge next season is on the cards.
This season is a bit of a wildcard with the WC in the middle. This could break any teams momentum with the virtual 2 month break.

There are at least 4 better teams than us right now, it's hardly massively low expectations, just realistic.
You were bang on last season with how you rated this squad but surley now you’ve had a rethink? Twas a good Summer after all and Chelsea are as ”meh” as I suggested, Spurs even moreso.

Thoughts now heading in November @Leftback99?

Leftback99

You were bang on last season with how you rated this squad but surley now you’ve had a rethink? Twas a good Summer after all and Chelsea are as ”meh” as I suggested, Spurs even moreso.

Thoughts now heading in November @Leftback99?
Squad wise the summer signings have definitely closed the gap. I'd have us behind City, Arsenal and Liverpool with fully fit squads. Between us and Spurs it comes down to us lacking goals compared to them but we're better elsewhere. Chelsea don't have enough in attack. Newcastle aren't far away from being in the mix either.

A win today would put us in a good position as being +7 on Liverpool would be a big bonus. It's the kind of game we'll struggle to score though.

Kaos

Squad wise the summer signings have definitely closed the gap. I'd have us behind City, Arsenal and Liverpool with fully fit squads. Between us and Spurs it comes down to us lacking goals compared to them but we're better elsewhere. Chelsea don't have enough in attack. Newcastle aren't far away from being in the mix either.

A win today would put us in a good position as being +7 on Liverpool would be a big bonus. It's the kind of game we'll struggle to score though.
I don't think there's much between us and Liverpool atm, even with fully fit squads. Their key players Salah and VVD seem like they're over the hill, their midfield is nothing special even when fully fit (Can Thiago even stay fit for extended periods?). If we sign a top striker then we overtake them.

OleTheGreat

I would be overwhelmed by happiness if in 5 years he is still here. I'm sure he'll do a good job at Manchester United but the world of football is so bad and impatient these days that I feel it is very difficult for a manager to stay in one team for that long. There are and were very few managers who make their own decisions and those are the rarest of the rare ones. Zizou, Ancelotti, Josep, and Sir Alex were some of them to name a few. I don't think Klopp or Erik Ten Hag have been sacked either but the likelihood of that happening still has some kind of ask on it.

I believe we as United fans always wanted our team to play positive football (possession based) and we are slowly but surely watching that become fruitful. The very next step is to get the team to start winning games on the trot and go on a winning run every season. After that, we will slowly start challenging the cups. The ultimate joy is winning the Premier League and the dream is to win the Champions League. If in 5 years we keep challenging for the cups and win a few here and there, I'd be so grateful to Erik because we as United fans have been sad for over a decade now and that needs to stop.

Klopp on the other hand is in a pickle now (frankly I don't care for Liverpool at all) but I do like Klopp and his managerial methods.

Crashoutcassius

top 4 should be the expectation.

if pep is getting 100 points ill understand if we never win the title. but hopefully over time we can get there or there abouts

RedorDead21

Get FDJ in Jan and a striker and I’m going for a great season in his first. I don’t see why we couldn’t run city as close as anyone if that happens.

Bwuk

If he’s given the money to keep the rebuild going I think we will challenge next year.

City are the best team in the league, but I think we have a shout for best of the rest atm.

Jericho

This is my opinion of Erik and what he can achieve, given he gets all his targets..

Season 1- Top 4, a decent run in all the domestic cups and Europa League, hand a good amount of minutes to the academy graduates.
Season 2- Top 3, one of the cups and a semi-final in the CL
Season 3- Title run, CL final and domestic trophy
Season 4- Title, CL consistency and winning trophies is now a habit.
Season 5- Flying start, Flying Finish with a chance to win the quadruple.

I may not have given Erik a lot of time but this is just my wish. Imagine how much more patient I can be if these are my wishes.

WHAT I REALLY EXPECT MORE THAN ANYTHING?
We play attractive football and score a lot of goals. Maybe 100 goals+ in all competitions. Concede fewer than 40 in all competitions (which is still pretty high for a team like Man Utd)

What are your expectations?
That's unrealistic. From what I can see the Barcelona 08/09 team conceded 51 goals in all competitions. Even City last season conceded 42. Although the 07/08 Utd team kept it to 32.

erikcred

top 4 should be the expectation.

if pep is getting 100 points ill understand if we never win the title. but hopefully over time we can get there or there abouts
That mentality just means we'll be happy with a distant second. If Pep gets 100, we should get 101. Even if City do the double over us, there are still 108 points up for grabs. It'll be insanely difficult and will require us to put everything into that effort. But if that's what it takes so be it. The point is that it's doable. Liverpool have shown this.

Gurtej

We need FDJ or similar and a ETH striker with 20+ goals next window to start wining things again…Let Ronaldo go to save hugely on salary and bring a RB in Jan….

Of course let go of VDB,elanga and Henderson to recoup around 60m….And integrate Garnacho and one more from youth to the first team…

Hammondo

Y1 - See a style of play develop as we progress through the season, too 6 finish.
Y2 - a good summer window bringing in players who fit our style. A clear style by the end of the season which is starting to get the best out of our players. Top 4.
Y3 - A comfortable top 4.
Y4 and onwards - competing.
I'd be happy with this.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
You don't set up your team for success, but you strive for excellence and success will come through. Success is a byproduct of excellence.

We don't want a team of 11 oldies who have won everything you want several times before, success is not guaranteed by history.

You want players who fit into your ideas about how to make the team work together and perform as good as possible to smesh all their opponents.

We need the team to become excellent and we can then smash up every team out there by being better than them. Success will naturally follow :)

lex talionis

It's a hard question to answer, but all I can say is that ETH is still United manager 5 seasons from now we will have won at least one major trophy. It's hard to see any manager of a top club lasting five seasons and not lifting any major silverware.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Surely he’s already got that down to a tee.
Yes and it's one of the few guarantees we have over the next few years.

Unless he opts for follicle surgery. Or opts for a wig. Or gets replaced by someone with more luxurious hair.

I may have to rethink this.

Natener

Is 5 years enough to grow out an Afro? If not, I expect at least a mohawk.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
After long 5 years silently hoping for complex integration of academy with first team's system. Bringing more carefuly scouted players ready to play particular tactics to be more compatible with manager's specific instructions like in Ajax or Barca.

Not counting on another Class 92, but it could save some funds, so club can finally stop spending small country budget, every summer and be entangled with too many draining sagas.