Music What concerts/gigs are you going to?

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Ffs. I said ‘no more tickets’. Then Queens of the Stoneage just announced this morning in my town. About a mile
From where I live. So I’ve bought more tickets. Trouble is it’s the same night as Royal Blood supporting Muse which I’d already bought tickets for so I’m going to have to sell them as I’m sure they’ll come round again but I don’t think QOS will come to my home town again.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Pixies, Modest Mouse, Spoon, the Breeders, Deathcab

Havak

Pokemon master
Went to an amazing Beatles tribute act last night and going to see Dance Gavin Dance in London tonight
I went to Dance Gavin Dance in Manchester earlier this year. I'd only really gotten into the band late last year, so I didn't have the same connection to their earlier stuff and past members etc. I thought they were brilliant, but do agree the set was quite short. I think this is largely in part to the vocal strain of Mess (he has to take a month off prior which delayed the tour even further than it was originally delayed for the other reason).

I am booking tickets to see WSTR in Manchester in September, it's at a venue called Night and Day Cafe in the Northern Quarter which I haven't been to before. Apparently their capacity is only 250, so I'm looking forward to a tiny gig again for the first time in what must be a decade at this point.

Superunknown

Pixies, Modest Mouse, Spoon, the Breeders, Deathcab
Really jealous that you're seeing Pixies and the Breeders. I'm a huge fan of the Pixies but have recently been listening to The Breeders loads. So fecking good. I do wish we could have a reunion where Kim re-joins Pixies, but that's come and gone. Gutted.

As for upcoming gigs:

MONO - in Brighton. Fecking excited!
The War On Drugs - also in Brighton.
Rock en Seine - just Saturday and Sunday tickets. The Chemical Brothers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs (hnnnggggg), Bonobo, Foals, and Wet Leg being the highlights. :drool:

decorativeed

I went to Dance Gavin Dance in Manchester earlier this year. I'd only really gotten into the band late last year, so I didn't have the same connection to their earlier stuff and past members etc. I thought they were brilliant, but do agree the set was quite short. I think this is largely in part to the vocal strain of Mess (he has to take a month off prior which delayed the tour even further than it was originally delayed for the other reason).

I am booking tickets to see WSTR in Manchester in September, it's at a venue called Night and Day Cafe in the Northern Quarter which I haven't been to before. Apparently their capacity is only 250, so I'm looking forward to a tiny gig again for the first time in what must be a decade at this point.
Night and Day is a Manchester institution. Surprised you're a local live music fan but somehow never been. I spent so much time there when I was younger, and saw so many great band (and even more shit ones) there over the years.

It gets incredibly warm in there when it's full, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Member 125398

Probably just my local towns food and music festival in September. Last year was headlined by the Undertones.
I love those small festivals where you can wander around and stumble on different stuff, it's almost impossible at the bigger festivals now as they're so bloody crowded.

Havak

Pokemon master
Night and Day is a Manchester institution. Surprised you're a local live music fan but somehow never been. I spent so much time there when I was younger, and saw so many great band (and even more shit ones) there over the years.

Yeah, I felt like I'd been to most venues for music in Manchester, but I imagine there are a lot of more underground ones that I haven't really. I went to a few gigs at The Roadhouse and Ruby Lounge etc. But most of the gigs I went to were at the usual Academy venues, Apollo, Ritz, and so on.

mitChley

It's even referenced in 'Lost'

decorativeed

Yeah, I felt like I'd been to most venues for music in Manchester, but I imagine there are a lot of more underground ones that I haven't really. I went to a few gigs at The Roadhouse and Ruby Lounge etc. But most of the gigs I went to were at the usual Academy venues, Apollo, Ritz, and so on.
To be fair, despite having a much better stage setup (where you can see the band whatever your height) and similar capacity, most of the time the bands I liked played the Roadhouse. There, if you weren't in the first couple of rows, it was hard to see the band as the stage is only raised above the rest of the floor by a few inches.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Saw Fred Again.. in Brixton. Off to see the Pangbourne Mafia (Fred, Skrillex, Four Tet) aka Coachella saviours, aka the best thing to happen to house music, in Madrid next month. Cannot wait.

They’ve relegated Kendrick to a nice to have. It’s going to be incredible.

Superunknown

Saw MONO play at Chalk in Brighton on Tuesday. They were supported by Dutch band GGGOLDDD, who I thought were pretty awesome. MONO, though. Christ. Absolutely fecking amazing. I've seen them and Mogwai this year, and both were 10/10 gigs. The opener of Riptide & Imperfect Things was sublime, they really went hard. :drool:

Tickets were just ridiculous. Less than £20. For a band of that calibre, it's just a shame that they haven't got the reach as some others within the genre. It's my first time seeing them and I will 100% be seeing them next time they come to the UK. Will remember this one for a long time.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Saw Pulp last weekend at Bridlington Spa. Every tall fecker in the world was there. Wherever I stood some tall twat moves right in front of me. One guy is about 6’2 and he’s got a feckin bobble hat on. Ended up moving right to the back to almost get a view. Good gig though, Cocker is a really good frontman. So, Madness up next. Looking forward to that.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Saw MONO play at Chalk in Brighton on Tuesday. They were supported by Dutch band GGGOLDDD, who I thought were pretty awesome. MONO, though. Christ. Absolutely fecking amazing. I've seen them and Mogwai this year, and both were 10/10 gigs. The opener of Riptide & Imperfect Things was sublime, they really went hard. :drool:

Tickets were just ridiculous. Less than £20. For a band of that calibre, it's just a shame that they haven't got the reach as some others within the genre. It's my first time seeing them and I will 100% be seeing them next time they come to the UK. Will remember this one for a long time.
Never heard of Mono, just spotified them and very similar to Mogwai from what I’ve heard? Very good and £20 is a bargain for a good gig these days.

I saw Mogwai for the first time last year after being a very long term fan and they went way beyond expectations as to how good they’d be.

Superunknown

Never heard of Mono, just spotified them and very similar to Mogwai from what I’ve heard? Very good and £20 is a bargain for a good gig these days.

I saw Mogwai for the first time last year after being a very long term fan and they went way beyond expectations as to how good they’d be.
They're in the same post-rock field as Mogwai (who I also adore - probably my favourite band right now), but they occupy different spaces within that, I'd say. Their build-up can often be slower, more classical, more orchestral at times. 'Everlasting light' is an example of that. 'Ashes in the snow' is another great example. I would consider them the masters at what they do, that transition from slower, thoughtful, melodic to crescendoing into loud, distorted endings. They manage that whole quiet-loud dynamic really well. I would say that the other band to do it on their level just so happens to be Mogwai. Of the two, I'd definitely say Mogwai are the more accessible.

Their more recent album 'Pilgrimage of the Soul' is a masterpiece, in my opinion. They started off the gig with the opening two tracks from that and it was just heavenly, tbh.

Volumiza

They're in the same post-rock field as Mogwai (who I also adore - probably my favourite band right now), but they occupy different spaces within that, I'd say. Their build-up can often be slower, more classical, more orchestral at times. 'Everlasting light' is an example of that. 'Ashes in the snow' is another great example. I would consider them the masters at what they do, that transition from slower, thoughtful, melodic to crescendoing into loud, distorted endings. They manage that whole quiet-loud dynamic really well. I would say that the other band to do it on their level just so happens to be Mogwai. Of the two, I'd definitely say Mogwai are the more accessible.

Their more recent album 'Pilgrimage of the Soul' is a masterpiece, in my opinion. They started off the gig with the opening two tracks from that and it was just heavenly, tbh.
Gonna sit down with pilgrimage of the soul later, check it out proper!

Ta!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Was at SlamDunk this last Saturday, that was a good day.

Hundred Reasons
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly!
H2O
Cancer Bats
50 Cent
Blink 182
Wu-Tang & Nas

All the above still to come over the next few months.

Volumiza

Let us know how you get on with it! Hymn to the Immortal Wind is the other album that I think you should 100% check out next. :drool:
Yeah, really love it, not often I listen to an album in its entirety but I did last night. Got settled with my headphones, sneaky toke and I was away for a bit :)

I’ll check the other one out tonight. Definitely a good recommendation chap.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Matchbox twenty and Goo Goo Dolls is lined up so far. Iris is my favorite song and I want to sing it out loud to my hearts content under the night sky at Jones Beach.

Superunknown

Yeah, really love it, not often I listen to an album in its entirety but I did last night. Got settled with my headphones, sneaky toke and I was away for a bit :)

I’ll check the other one out tonight. Definitely a good recommendation chap.
Awww yessss. Glad you like it. I'm a huge fan. Would recommend seeing them live if you can. Within the same genre, you've got the likes of Russian Circles, Maybeshewill (the track 'red paper lanterns' is a personal favourite of mine), and then Godspeed You! Black Emperor for something a bit more experimental. It's a great genre, imo. You might already listen to/know some of these, though?

I had GY!BE tickets last year, but then they rearranged the gig to a date that I couldn't do. It moved from a Saturday to a Friday much later in the year, and I just couldn't make the journey with work. Gutted.

Volumiza

Awww yessss. Glad you like it. I'm a huge fan. Would recommend seeing them live if you can. Within the same genre, you've got the likes of Russian Circles, Maybeshewill (the track 'red paper lanterns' is a personal favourite of mine), and then Godspeed You! Black Emperor for something a bit more experimental. It's a great genre, imo. You might already listen to/know some of these, though?

I had GY!BE tickets last year, but then they rearranged the gig to a date that I couldn't do. It moved from a Saturday to a Friday much later in the year, and I just couldn't make the journey with work. Gutted.
Yes mate, like GYBE. Shame you couldn’t make their gig, always sh*t when something like that happens.

Covid robbed me of Nick Cave.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Wu Tang and Nas in Dublin next weekend.