What did the Mourinho era fix?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It made people stop crying out for Jose Mourinho, a plague on the car for the last decade. That’s it. It took three years and 500 mil but at least now people recognise he was never a United manager. I thought that would lead to Ole getting more respect... alas....

RedPnutz

Mourinho era fixed the LVG era which fixed the Moyes era.

And now Solskjær era is intended to fix the Mourinho.

No one’s fixing the Woodward era.

tenpoless

Mourinho era fixed the LVG era which fixed the Moyes era.

And now Solskjær era is intended to fix the Mourinho.

No one’s fixing the Woodward era.
It's hard to fix or change your boss and if big headed managers like Jose & Van Gaal failed at it... I can only see Ole being a yes man to him. Mike Phelan needs to throw a tantrum, Ole is too nice and positive.

RedPnutz

It's hard to fix or change your boss and if big headed managers like Jose & Van Gaal failed at it... I can only see Ole being a yes man to him. Mike Phelan needs to throw a tantrum, Ole is too nice and positive.
Probably.

However I don’t know why people assume Ole is all nice and positive. I mean he appears so in public, but who knows how he really is with the players?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It made people stop crying out for Jose Mourinho, a plague on the car for the last decade. That’s it. It took three years and 500 mil but at least now people recognise he was never a United manager. I thought that would lead to Ole getting more respect... alas....

:lol:

Kapardin

He stole your fuel or something?:p

Sereques

He was stuck in the past. But the club was also at fault for not coming up with younger alternatives. Unless of course they did, and Jose rejected them.
The club choices will definitely be filled with developing players and Mourinho hates developing players.

Mourinho ideology does not meet Manchester United and vice versa. Better he got fired.

steakpie

Absolutely nothing. Had the funds to fix everything but completely made a mess of it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mourinho era fixed our money surplus problem. Take over with a team finished 5th, spend 400m, and then left the squad with 6th place in the league.
This sometimes missed, people due mention it but don't seem to realize how daft that is.:lol:

JEredDevil

Mourinho era fixed our mentality about being a big club. Luckily he brought us back to reality and made us stop dreaming.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It fixed us from having a promising young squad that LVG for his faults left us with, and fixed us from having to find somewhere to have to keep the 300+ million that Mourinho spent mainly on players who haven't worked out.

Red00012

The best thing about Mourinho was shipping out some of the 20odd players we have that arent good enough.

Depay
Schneiderlin
Schweinstieger
Blind
Micky T
Januzaj
McNair
Varela
V Valdes

Great work getting all them out but could have got rid off more tbh.
And we still have another bus load we could clear.

Champagne Football

Jose's reign taught us that it's possible to win one or two trophies in the short term if you are happy to massively risk becoming the new Leeds Utd in the long term.

How Jose must wished to have worked with Peter Ridsdale. A dream team combo

hobbers

Maybe Lindelof as a future half of a "great partnership". That's about it.

Every position is weaker than even the LVG era.

Jojo <3 Mou

2 wrongs don’t make a right, ey?
I don't think that it is wrong to defend Mourinho unless you are being dishonest in you're defense.

He was far from perfect but he wasn't the bogey man that some here would have you believe.

Anyways, he's gone now.

CM10

We're worse off in just about every aspect. He ground down our promising young players and brought in quite a few wasters for big money.

The first transfer window under Mourinho went well but most things after that were a bit of a train wreck.

Paul_Scholes18

He didn't really fix that much. Getting Pogba is good, but he never got the best out of him. Lindelöf is fine, but not amazing.

I think he did improve the mentality in the squad from the LVG era a bit. Although then kind of ruined everything.

Paul_Scholes18

Maybe Lindelof as a future half of a "great partnership". That's about it.

Every position is weaker than even the LVG era.
Don't agree with that unless you talk about form. I think the only weaker area is that Valencia and Herrera will go now. Valencia was one of our best and most important players under LVG and Herrera when he has played has often done really well from us. We need another right back and midfielder in 100%
Our midfield now with Pogba, Fred and Mctominay is better than the crap we had with LVG even if Fellaini did quite well at times. Yes Carrick did alright on his last leg, but we knew we needed to replace him.
Bastian and Schneiderlein pure crap signings and we needed to get them out.
Rashford and Martial should be better now. They have not improved much, but still do not see them as worse options. Although we had higher hopes for them back then to improve.
Lukaku is a big uppgrade on Rooney back then even if he has been poor.

Mata, Young and De gea has declined a lot so it is a big problem although Mata/Young were never super important. I hope that De Gea can find form again. If not then that is probably the biggest decline for us.

Phil Jones was injured a lot back then and still is. Smalling is probably slightly better now. Lindelöf better than Blind. Shaw slightly better now. Rojo equally bad these days.

I think overall we got a better squad now. Not having a De Gea in form makes our defense seem weaker though.

hobbers

Don't agree with that unless you talk about form. I think the only weaker area is that Valencia and Herrera will go now. Valencia was one of our best and most important players under LVG and Herrera when he has played has often done really well from us. We need another right back and midfielder in 100%
Our midfield now with Pogba, Fred and Mctominay is better than the crap we had with LVG even if Fellaini did quite well at times. Yes Carrick did alright on his last leg, but we knew we needed to replace him.
Bastian and Schneiderlein pure crap signings and we needed to get them out.
Rashford and Martial should be better now. They have not improved much, but still do not see them as worse options. Although we had higher hopes for them back then to improve.
Lukaku is a big uppgrade on Rooney back then even if he has been poor.

Mata, Young and De gea has declined a lot so it is a big problem although Mata/Young were never super important. I hope that De Gea can find form again. If not then that is probably the biggest decline for us.

Phil Jones was injured a lot back then and still is. Smalling is probably slightly better now. Lindelöf better than Blind. Shaw slightly better now. Rojo equally bad these days.

I think overall we got a better squad now. Not having a De Gea in form makes our defense seem weaker though.

Mainly in terms of form rather than just personnel. No chance are Smalling or Shaw better now than they were previously. We've just shipped a record number of goals in the Prem era. All our defenders have been absolute trash bar Lindelof, but even then maybe he's only looked somewhat good because of how bad Smalling and Shaw/Young are either side of him.

De Gea has regressed over the last two seasons. Martial and Rashford have regressed from raw talents to just raw. Matic has repeated the feat he achieved at Chelsea of going from one of the best CDMs in the league in one season to the absolute worst the season after. Fred and Dalot have given us absolutely nothing of worth yet.

The only player who hasn't gone backwards is Herrera.

redtony

I think it made us realize what we had and also how hard that is to replicate.
I also think the clear message is that spending money isn't the only answer to making a good team, A lot of fans still don't seem to get it!
You always hear, we need 500m to compete. Its not about money, its about having a competent structure and a squad with an identity.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He fix nothing but bring more deadwood. The only positive he brought in was his power to bring Pogba & Zlatan for free. Signed Lukaku, Matic & Sanchez and now we are desperate to sell the three of them. Both Rashford & Martial show no improvement (well, can’t blame on him for this). And he also blamed the scout indirectly on other signings like Bailly, Fred & Lindelof. Big spent signing for first choice also should & must be done a research by the manager not just the scout, so he needs to take the responsibility instead of blaming.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't think that it is wrong to defend Mourinho unless you are being dishonest in you're defense.

He was far from perfect but he wasn't the bogey man that some here would have you believe.

Anyways, he's gone now.
Yep, I agree with that. Like Ive always said, he was rightfully sacked but he’s far from the only issue at the club.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He took us to 2nd place and an Europa League title, we will struggle to achieve that in the near future.
Totally agree. But the majority of inputs simply don't recognise that as an achievement, which of course it was.

Enigma_87

You know who
He took us to 2nd place and an Europa League title, we will struggle to achieve that in the near future.
Yup.

He wasn't supposed to fix anything in the long term. He was always a stop gap manager to give us some results and the next one to take it forward.

Kostov

Totally agree. But the majority of inputs simply don't recognise that as an achievement, which of course it was.
Well the majority on here expected a title challenge, while I think we were never challenging City even with 200m spent. I think time will pass and unfortunately Ole will fail to reach even that, then maybe some section of the fans will start to appreciate Mourinho a bit more.

Yup.

He wasn't supposed to fix anything in the long term. He was always a stop gap manager to give us some results and the next one to take it forward.
I sincerely though that he stay a bit longer and settle when he first arrived. Then problems started to appear more often and realized it's not going to work. The most of the blame I put on Woodward and the owners. They hired him then renewed his contract while not backing him fully, nor putting anyone with footballing background to work alongside him for the transfers.

I hope that I'm fecking wrong and Ole becomes more successful than Sir Alex and Sir Matt combined, but in this current setup is not giving me much optimism.

Robbie Boy

It provides a balance to those who hate Mourinho so much that they wanted his United to lose. :houllier:

Supporters, right? :lol:
Thing is, the word ‘hate’ is throw around here as a cheap way to try dismiss one side of an argument and it carries zero weight these days. I certainly never ‘hated’ Mourinho and was delighted when we got him. I was all for his appointment and right up until things started to unravel in his third season, I supported him. There were actually very few against his appointment, in the grand scheme of things.

The thing is, when it all started to horribly unravel and it was clear he had to go, a small group of less than ten I would say, became utterly deluded and came out with all sorts of rubbish to defend him. In turn they blamed everyone but Mourinho and it was bizarre. Now, some defended him in a more rational manner but everyone knows who I’m talking about when I reference the acolytes. Most acknowledged we had major problems structurally throughout the club and Mourinho was one of them. Most acknowledged that the Glazers, Woodward and certain players need to feck off before we can truly evolve and come out of these dark days. The acolytes though wouldn’t acknowledge that Mourinho was a problem but they blamed everyone bar him which was just weird.

Paul_Scholes18

Mainly in terms of form rather than just personnel. No chance are Smalling or Shaw better now than they were previously. We've just shipped a record number of goals in the Prem era. All our defenders have been absolute trash bar Lindelof, but even then maybe he's only looked somewhat good because of how bad Smalling and Shaw/Young are either side of him.

De Gea has regressed over the last two seasons. Martial and Rashford have regressed from raw talents to just raw. Matic has repeated the feat he achieved at Chelsea of going from one of the best CDMs in the league in one season to the absolute worst the season after. Fred and Dalot have given us absolutely nothing of worth yet.

The only player who hasn't gone backwards is Herrera.
I agree the form has been poor, but not with our defenders. Smalling has generally been quite good this season although not the best with the ball. Shaw our player of the year and he didn't play much under LVG. Young has been crap though no doubt about that.

Rashford had a really great start under LVG, but he is a better player now. Granted his head might not be fully the best and he tries to many stupid things rather than doing the basic. A good manager could change that.
I think Martial is quite lazy, but get him going and you get the same player now too.

AJ10

Well the majority on here expected a title challenge, while I think we were never challenging City even with 200m spent. I think time will pass and unfortunately Ole will fail to reach even that, then maybe some section of the fans will start to appreciate Mourinho a bit more.
I highly doubt another managers failure will change peoples opinion on Jose. Bar the first few months of last season we played shit football rest of that season (that Sevilla game :nervous:) and even this season all we did was lump it to fellaini/Lukaku and defend from start vs lower teams (We got fecked by derby, had we created more chances and missed then fair enough but we didn't and they dominated us). I don't blame Jose for everything but surely a manager doesn't need another 200 mil to not play like cowards vs lower teams despite already spending nearly 400 mil and that sanchez deal.

Last edited:

Jojo <3 Mou

Thing is, the word ‘hate’ is throw around here as a cheap way to try dismiss one side of an argument and it carries zero weight these days. I certainly never ‘hated’ Mourinho and was delighted when we got him. I was all for his appointment and right up until things started to unravel in his third season, I supported him. There were actually very few against his appointment, in the grand scheme of things.

The thing is, when it all started to horribly unravel and it was clear he had to go, a small group of less than ten I would say, became utterly deluded and came out with all sorts of rubbish to defend him. In turn they blamed everyone but Mourinho and it was bizarre. Now, some defended him in a more rational manner but everyone knows who I’m talking about when I reference the acolytes. Most acknowledged we had major problems structurally throughout the club and Mourinho was one of them. Most acknowledged that the Glazers, Woodward and certain players need to feck off before we can truly evolve and come out of these dark days. The acolytes though wouldn’t acknowledge that Mourinho was a problem but they blamed everyone bar him which was just weird.
As I said in this thread I’m all for fair analysis. Yes, there are persons who are overzealous in their defense of Mourinho but there are also many at the opposite end of that spectrum who seem to ‘hate’ him and cannot have a rational conversation about him. Are you telling me that you are unaware that there are persons here who wanted United to lose because of Mourinho?

Also I think that you are using the term acolyte in the way you ask that ‘hate’ not be used ‘as way to try dismiss one side of an argument’.

There were many against his appointment and that attitude carried over into his time as manager. Some people never gave him a chance because he didn't have the ‘United DNA’. I don’t want to be branded as an acolyte but, in a way, I think the board never gave him a chance. They hired him but didn't seem to want what he was known for. And he wasn't able to perform to a satisfactory level, so was fired.

A lot of blame now exists that can be shared by all parties involved. The issue, I guess, is who gets the biggest share? :lol: Which is now all academic with regards to Mourinho. United really need to learn from this and move on.