What do people see in Lindelof?

What is your opinion on Lindelof?

• Total voters

criticalanalysis

Happy for him to be backup, although I really wish others would step up like Bailly and Axel but that is looking like a pipe dream than actual reality. As for people saying he's 'too good' to be sitting on the bench, I actually think he's in a very good situation or 'lucky' to be playing for Utd even as a squad player. I'll caveat that by also saying there are quite a few in the squad, which this applies to.

There's no top team out there that will want him and I don't see him being a defensive stalwart in any other team unless he has a really dominant defensive partner. Therefore he'll have to 'settle' for a team on the up/non-traditional powerhouse and for sure he will be exposed, will be asked more of defensively with probably less pay/upside on the contract.

I said the same about Mata's contract extension (not the recent one, the one before sigh), as others was saying he has better options playing for a mid table la liga team or something. There's no team out there, where you can play with the prestige of Utd's psuedo bubble, get paid handsomely, not really get slaughtered by press and play with world class players in a club that is trying to push for trophies every single year.

He's earned his due of course but he'd be mad to leave the comfort of Utd unless he really wants to challenge himself and values playing time over every other thing I've mentioned. He really could do a Mata/Young and just perform his role happily whilst signing multiple contract extensions. Hopefully that won't happen as we start recruiting more talent and evolve as a team but I wouldn't bet my money against it.

Last edited:

Alfie092

Good backup option, either as a 3rd or 4th choice CB, depending on if he comes in for Maguire or Varane. If he was to leave he won't get into any top side and at best would get into teams like Everton, Dortmund, AC Milan.

Would actually prefer Axel to be given more gamete over Lindelof to see how he does but if Maguire and Varane stay fit then it's probably best for Axel to go on loan to another mid table PL club and test himself there.