What do people see in Lindelof?

What is your opinion on Lindelof?

• Total voters

A-man

@A-man you know what Plopp bars are right?
Yes. Those are for kids.
When there is a party, the adults get dark chocolate and the kids get Plopp. After two minutes the adults eat the kids’ Plopp bars because they taste so much better.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes. Those are for kids.
When there is a party, the adults get dark chocolate and the kids get Plopp. After two minutes the adults eat the kids’ Plopp bars because they taste so much better.
I didn’t know that. But damn they’re good. Now those I’d gladly accept at OT :)

Foxbatt

He looks too soft. He should get a beard and have a punk cut like that Slovak player. Then he will look more imposing. He should clatter a few players too.
I can't understand how someone who played so much hockey is such a soft guy?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is our best central defender (that doesn't mean that Harry is bad!). With Varane as a partner, he would be even better than he is.

Mickson

This is a bit simplistic, if United played three halfs of football like Sweden have done, it simply would not be acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

We can have poor games, uncreative games, but we don't have many where we can have 15% possession and not bother attacking. Or to refuse to attack for a half against a team with few threats like Slovakia. I think this is more to the point regarding Lindelof, there is nothing wrong with his ability to read play, position himself okay, he can pass a bit. But when you're asking him and Maguire to play on the half way line and for the whole team to push the game forward it's a completely different set of questions that are asked over a 38 game season.

If extrapolations are made on managers based on a couple of games of football they should at least be comparing like styles and expectations.
You are of course right. My point is just that we can't really draw any conclusions from this. By all accounts, Sweden can put almost anyone and they will still be organized.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He is our best central defender (that doesn't mean that Harry is bad!). With Varane as a partner, he would be even better than he is.

:lol:
Then I remember you on another thread saying Carrick was better than Keane!

Polar

If we buy a new CB we should try to offload him for approx £30m. I prefer we keep Tuanzebe and Bailey as backups. They have higher potential and also have a stronger United-history.

If we buy a new CB we should try to offload him for approx £30m. I prefer we keep Tuanzebe and Bailey as backups. They have higher potential and also have a stronger United-history.
What strong United History does Bailly Have?

Lindelof is a good player. Not top class which is why we need another CB, but defiantly a far better squad player than Bailly.

lindelof’s fitness is good. If one of your starting CBs is injured, most likely Bailly will be sat alongside them ok the treatment table.

Maguire, Varane (ideally), Lindelof and Tuanzebe is an excellent set of centre halves.

Polar

What strong United History does Bailly Have?

Lindelof is a good player. Not top class which is why we need another CB, but defiantly a far better squad player than Bailly.

lindelof’s fitness is good. If one of your starting CBs is injured, most likely Bailly will be sat alongside them ok the treatment table.

Maguire, Varane (ideally), Lindelof and Tuanzebe is an excellent set of centre halves.
You may be right. Bailly is also possible to include in a Pau Torres swap deal (+£20-30m). That would’ve been great :)

el3mel

Bailly literally did nothing in his United career post his first 1.5 years.

What a time that was though, we were literally believing that our defense was sorted with Jones, Rojo and Bailly. :lol:

Abraxas

The idea of getting rid of Lindelof but relying on Tuanzebe and Bailly as backups is so ludicrous it is hard to put into words. A classic case of people getting better by not being in the side.

There is a reason Lindelof is in the side, and in comparison to the above it is firstly that he's fit, and secondly that our defence has been reasonable if not totally convincing. Every time one of the above came in last season it felt potentially disastrous, albeit they didn't have consistent runs but nor were they demanding one either through form or fitness.

Lindelof will not be going anywhere no matter who we sign, that seems quite clear. He is clearly the manager's choice after Maguire, and rightly so on the evidence.

MrSingh2002

If we sign Varane, the order of CB I'd like to see for the best interests of Uniteds future is:

Varane
Maguire
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Bailly
Mengi

Jones contract should be paid off just to get him off our squad list, website and training ground. In one seasons time we should be reviewing whether Bailly or Lindelof should be replaced for a better player. That would be progress.

davidmichael

It’s clear we’re going for a centre back now we’ve signed Sancho with Varane clear first choice so that’ll mean a Varane/Maguire partnership as first choice, Lindelof actually looks better with Tuanzebe alongside him than anyone else so I’d have them as back up and Bailly as fifth choice and then loan Mengi out to Premier League club.

As a squad player Lindelof is a good option and as good as anyone in the league as a third choice centre back, if he had someone strong and with pace alongside him he’d be fine starting but he’s never playing ahead of Maguire and they bring the worst out in each other so can’t play together unless an injury crisis happens.

dinostar77

Isnt tuanzebe supposed to be going out on loan for a season once we sign a CB? Therefore we have 4 x new CB, maguire, bailly and lindelof. Also the emergency breakglass (but are you really really sure?) of the legend phil jones.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What strong history does Bailly have? Other than being on first name terms with the medical departments next of kin of course

It makes no sense to rely on two injury prone players as your 3rd choice, you want someone who's actually going to be fit when needed

largelyworried

So with the Varane signing, does Lindelof become back-up for CB and also cover for AWB?
Pretty much, along with the odd occasion when we play 3 at the back. I think he'll make a decent backup, he's a good defender, just not top class. If nothing else his fitness record is solid so he should consistently be available, which is pretty much the first thing you need from a decent sub and something our current backups struggle with.

So with the Varane signing, does Lindelof become back-up for CB and also cover for AWB?
It's the ideal scenario. Maguire and Varane are our first choice and Lindelof is easily good enough to keep their standards high and cover them when needed.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Finally where he belongs for us, squad player & rotation option.

Red_toad

It's the ideal scenario. Maguire and Varane are our first choice and Lindelof is easily good enough to keep their standards high and cover them when needed.
But he’s not going to threaten either of them for a starting spot. Coming into his prime and experienced international, I don’t see him wanting 10 games a season.

Cloud7

Finally we can see Lindelof where he should be, as a squad player.

But he’s not going to threaten either of them for a starting spot. Coming into his prime and experienced international, I don’t see him wanting 10 games a season.
I think you'll be surprised. I'd put him down for the best part of 20 games next season across all competitions. Everybody in the squad will learn from somebody like Varane, Lindelof included.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Given that he's quite comfortable in passing the ball (not amazing, but certainly no Smalling), he'll easily start 20 games across all comps depending on progress.

Whether that's enough for him is another story, but surely it's an opportunity for him to try and better himself as you don't get replaced as a starting CB unless you're doing something wrong or if you're getting a bit older.

Bailly on the other hand, he's got no hope!