What do people see in Lindelof?

What is your opinion on Lindelof?

• Total voters

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Much better than many would have you believe, but a notch down from what we need, and a really bad choice of a pair up with Maguire.

Despite the obsession these days with playing it out, we do still play in a physical league with a lot of high balls. Therefore, being strong in the air should always be a key component - all our quality combos have had 2 players strong in the air.

However, much more reliable than Bailly and Tuanzebe, but we definitely finally need to upgrade this summer. Maguire being out showed we'd be in absolutely dire straits if he was out for any sort of time.

Zen86

He doesn’t possess pace, strength, or aerial ability. He’s not really fit to be a CB for a team that needs to actually defend from time to time in the PL.

RedDevil@84

He is carrying the CBs at the moment. Or at least he was till he was injured. I personally think we would have won the final in normal time had he been playing.
Stop making up stuff to support your Lindelof criticism. The final game had nothing to do with defenders.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We have conceded plenty of similar goals this season with Maguire in the team.
Our defence and Lindelöf should have done better on that attack surely, but our lack of creativity in the offence is the main reason we lost.
But I’m not talking about 1 match. The season is over so now it’s time to talk about what we need to upgrade

Paul_Scholes18

But I’m not talking about 1 match. The season is over so now it’s time to talk about what we need to upgrade
I feel our attack is what we most need to uppgrade, but we also need one more central defender and defensive midfielder for squad depth. Also a right back would be good too to have as backup and fight with Wan Bissaka.

That is 4 signings. Hopefully we can get all 4 players we need.

RedDevil@84

We have no plan to upgrade. If we had those plans, we would have let Bailly go, upgraded defense and gave the backup position to Lindelof

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s a fact that most people are aware of from just watching out games. You really haven’t noticed how we have conceded many goals from setpieces? What I described is the price of poor zonal marking. Lindelof
I never deny that we conceded from set pieces. What I’m questioning your fact is you said many are not because of our CBs.

but facts is that many of our conceded set piece goals are not because of our CBs.

golden_blunder

Staff
Stop making up stuff to support your Lindelof criticism. The final game had nothing to do with defenders.
First of all my criticism of him is not just the final game but if you want to do that then just look at the goal we conceded. Not just his fault of course (hi Shaw), but he basically watched the ball sail where it was going then half heartedly tried to grab a hold of a shirt. Not even sure he knew who was there

golden_blunder

Staff
We have no plan to upgrade. If we had those plans, we would have let Bailly go, upgraded defense and gave the backup position to Lindelof
I wouldn’t look too far into giving a player a contract at United, seems like they give them out like sweets. Let’s see who comes in, but judging by the rumours it’s clear we are looking at a cb who will most likely take Lindelofs place.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's bang average. A relic of our desperate attempts to crawl out of mediocrity during the LvG/Jose period.

golden_blunder

Staff
We have been struggling all season to break down teams that park the bus / defend deep.
Yes but that’s a different question, we should be able to address more than one area, hence we are getting linked to Varane, kounde, botman, etc as well as DMs and wingers

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sometimes when you see a replay of the other team getting a chance or scoring, you can't even see where Lindelof is. It's like he's just jogged off down the tunnel to have a piss. WHere does he go? He's at fault for most of our goals, and if he was in a team we were playing against you'd expect us to use Cavani to target him because he'd be a glaring weak link.

He doesn't have a stand out quality defensively and also isn't big/strong enough to compete with physical players...so you'd have to expect every non technical/physical attribute of his game (i.e. mentality, concentration, bravery, etc.) to be faultless, and its not even close.

There was a game recently, Spurs I think ,where Cavani came back and headed the ball off the line, and on first glance you think he's done really well to cover for the defence, but then on the replay you notice that Lindelof is just standing there not doing anything, and could easily have just headed the ball clear himself...and if Cavani hadn't noticed Lindelof being a twat and run in behind him he'd have literally just stood there and let Spurs score, for absolutely no reason. He's either too busy daydreaming to get himself in position, or is too scared to be there in case someone challenges him. Either way its absolute garbage and he shouldn't be getting near the team when he's routinely pulling shite like that. It'd be like a goalkeeper just letting the ball go in because he's too scared to try and save it.

He's our worst player of the ones who Ole seems to favour. He starts every game, presumably based purely on the fact he might play Rashford through with a ball over the top once every month or so. Or possibly just based on the fact Ole refuses to change anything, ever. It doesn't say much for our other defenders, but then Bailly looks better than him when he plays, and Tuanzebe might be better if he played with any regularity.

He also drags other players down with him. Bissaka gets a lot of stick for his far post defending, and some of it is justified, but I wouldn't want to be a fullback with Lindelof on my side of the defence, because I'd never know which player to pick up. You know if you pick up the player you're supposed to, Lindelof will probably just let the guy in front of you score for some reason, and if you pick up the guy in front of you to cover for Lindelof, the guy you're meant to pick up is free, and then Lindelof will wave his arms around moaning as if its your fault.

Welbeckham

My thoughts haven’t changed much from when we were rumoured to sign him.
He’s not a very good defender and thus shouldn’t start for us especially when he is not that great at anything else either.

Then again, there are CBs worse than him and my thoughts of us having five better CBs back in 2016 were obviously very optimistic, given I was talking about Blind, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo and Jones.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't rate him but also I don't think he's unusable. I haven't watched much of Chelsea but is someone like Christensen that much better than him? Genuinely have no idea.

I feel he can be very useful but he needs a van Dijk because he'll always be the support CB in any duo/trio.

Also, I don't want to make excuses for him but we know he's been playing injured all season, much like Rashford. Not sure if that had impacted his performances but it'll be interesting to see how he does after a long rest (are Sweden even in the Euros?).

If we do decide to sell, anything below £25m will be a very good deal for Spanish side or even someone in Italy.

Nori-

I think because we have been so bad for so long people have just forgotten what its like to have a quality CB pair.

When Lindelof is gone and we fix this problem we will look back and think, he wasn't actually very good by our standards.

I can't wait to see Maguire paired with someone of equal ability.

Lyng

Yes but that’s a different question, we should be able to address more than one area, hence we are getting linked to Varane, kounde, botman, etc as well as DMs and wingers
Yes and like I have said before Lindelöf is not starting 11 material, but as long as our defensive positioning is this bad we are still going to concede goals like the Villarreal one. A more physical defender to partner with Maguire won't change that we look like deers in headlights on freekicks and corners.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's supposed to be good on the ball but I rarely see him bringing it out of defence. It's always the same shite passes to his centre back partner.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You really don’t need to over my head, it’s pretty rude.
I didn't intend to come off as rude so my apologies. I see that you're Swedish which explains the Lindelof stuff anyway.

SouthPredators4

Joke of defender. Just observe how he marks setpieces or crosses. Basically, he either makes it uncomfortable by initiating contact, or he jumps for the sake of it. CBs are supposed to be judging the flight then attacking the ball. He at best puts his head up and hopes for the best. Its shockingly passive and lacks basic heading fundamentals.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes and like I have said before Lindelöf is not starting 11 material, but as long as our defensive positioning is this bad we are still going to concede goals like the Villarreal one. A more physical defender to partner with Maguire won't change that we look like deers in headlights on freekicks and corners.
It will, by far

Lyng

It will, by far
How when we are using zonal defending? Its weird how obsessed people are with the physical side of defending sometimes.
Look at a team like Bayern. They dont exactly have monsters in the central defence but they dont concede the goals we do.

golden_blunder

Staff
How when we are using zonal defending? Its weird how obsessed people are with the physical side of defending sometimes.
Look at a team like Bayern. They dont exactly have monsters in the central defence but they dont concede the goals we do.
We have a cb who watches the ball rather rather than do anything, this would happen no matter what system we use. A system doesn’t change a players failings.
there was a corner in the final, Lindelof is hiding near the front post rather than in the mix. What cb does that?

I agree with your overall point, I’m not a fan of zonal marking but I don’t think it changes the Lindelof question, which this thread is talking about

lemme put it this way, if you plonked a prime Vidic or prime Stam in there instead of Lindelof do you think we’d have half the problems? I don’t think so

Lyng

We have a cb who watches the ball rather rather than do anything, this would happen no matter what system we use. A system doesn’t change a players failings.
there was a corner in the final, Lindelof is hiding near the front post rather than in the mix. What cb does that?

I agree with your overall point, I’m not a fan of zonal marking but I don’t think it changes the Lindelof question, which this thread is talking about

lemme put it this way, if you plonked a prime Vidic or prime Stam in there instead of Lindelof do you think we’d have half the problems? I don’t think so
To be fair Id take those two over any of our current defenders, heck I would take them over any current defenders anywhere. But no I do agree with you with them it wouldnt have happened.
That having been said both Vidic and Stam read the play very well along with their strength.
But I want to repeat myself. I dont think Lindelöf is good enough to start for us at all. I just think we have more issues to adress with our defence, even after replacing him.

Tallis

I see very little. If I was the DoF, I would buy a quality CB like Kounde to partner Maguire. Then I would sell Lindelof to fund a modestly priced but tall and strong Milenkovic to be the backup CB. His weak a** defending has cost us too much.

Yes - he is slightly more agile and less awkward in a one v one vs Maguire but that’s missing the point of Maguire.

golden_blunder

Staff
To be fair Id take those two over any of our current defenders, heck I would take them over any current defenders anywhere. But no I do agree with you with them it wouldnt have happened.
That having been said both Vidic and Stam read the play very well along with their strength.
But I want to repeat myself. I dont think Lindelöf is good enough to start for us at all. I just think we have more issues to adress with our defence, even after replacing him.
Not saying we don’t have work, we do. I’d like to see more communication from them and especially the keeper. I just think we remove the weak link that everyone is targeting and we go to work

Lyng

Not saying we don’t have work, we do. I’d like to see more communication from them and especially the keeper. I just think we remove the weak link that everyone is targeting and we go to work
I agree, replacing the weakest part of our starting defense is the first step absolutely.

Yeah sadly both our keepers seem quiet. I had hoped Henderson would be more of a presence, but he is only marginally more vocal than DDG.

golden_blunder

Staff
I agree, replacing the weakest part of our starting defense is the first step absolutely.

Yeah sadly both our keepers seem quiet. I had hoped Henderson would be more of a presence, but he is only marginally more vocal than DDG.
Different topic I know but I can’t see either keeper being the long term solution but due to budget it’ll be put back at least 1 season

CG1010

He is dependably average/below average defender. The dependability part is the only redeeming part about him when we have had crooks like Bailly, Jones. But he doesn't suit a team which has ambitions to attack. As he is a terrible pure one on one defender

Tallis

He is dependably average/below average defender. The dependability part is the only redeeming part about him when we have had crooks like Bailly, Jones. But he doesn't suit a team which has ambitions to attack. As he is a terrible pure one on one defender
Fair point - Bailly and others are so bad that they make Lindelof seem good.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
The balance of probability of Lindelof being caught off guard or being on the losing end of an physical/pace battle is high. You’d like your opponent to think that whenever they face a United defender that the balance of probability is stacked against them.

unfortuntaly that isnt the case here with Lindelof, teams should fear a United defender in the sense of him being able to physically outplay you and being a real nuisance, especially in a physical league such as the Premier League.