What do people see in Lindelof?

What is your opinion on Lindelof?

• Total voters

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree with Rio that he is a very good CB but perhaps one who isn't best suited to the speed and physicality of the Premier League.

Jibbs

I do not find much difference between Liindelof and Maguire. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, both are decent and both are at par with each other. I do not get why people slate Lindelof more here.

Ideally United should get Varane and let Maguire and Lindelof compete for the right sided CB spot.

RedDevil@84

I do not find much difference between Liindelof and Maguire. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, both are decent and both are at par with each other. I do not get why people slate Lindelof more here.

Ideally United should get Varane and let Maguire and Lindelof compete for the right sided CB spot.
Wait for the "Maguire is 500 times the player that Lindelof ever will be" posts

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolutely fine to keep as the back up to a hopefully signed Varane. A bit like with Jesse a lot of our fans really underrate having a good bench. I think the same about Martial too, if he wants to stay. There is no point getting rid of a good player when it weakens the squad and Lindelof is someone we should be looking to build upon not get rid of.
Look I don’t like him as a defender but let’s not advocate new patios around here

Hackman2210

Be careful what you wish for................If the rumours are true about Tuanzebe going out on loan, then that does leave us short at CB. Does Ole have a plan and does it involve furious phil jones!!

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Is I'm the only one that don't think Lindelöf will accept being number 3 after years as a starter and entering his prime....
Think he will look elsewhere if Varane comes, maybe stay one year as backup then his off and next summer will be the same search for a cb.

Think man utd should focus more on getting a good midfield, if you dominate the midfield your cbs won't get exposed that much and Maguire and Lindelöf is good enough to take you forward.

golden_blunder

Staff
Is I'm the only one that don't think Lindelöf will accept being number 3 after years as a starter and entering his prime....
Think he will look elsewhere if Varane comes, maybe stay one year as backup then his off and next summer will be the same search for a cb.

Think man utd should focus more on getting a good midfield, if you dominate the midfield your cbs won't get exposed that much and Maguire and Lindelöf is good enough to take you forward.
Again, having a good midfield doesn’t fix Lindelofs problems, which aren’t ball progression generally.

we stick a world class midfielder in its not going to stop Lindelof misjudging his headers etc

Catania

Supports
Catania
Again, having a good midfield doesn’t fix Lindelofs problems, which aren’t ball progression generally.

we stick a world class midfielder in its not going to stop Lindelof misjudging his headers etc
Agree it won't, I just belive fixing the midfield is a lot more important then getting a new CB.

I feel that it's bigger different btwn Man Utd midfield and Chelsea/City then it's btwn the defense.
To me Lindelöf/Maguire have a higher standard then McFred.
Lindelöf is a better defender then McTominay is a midfielder in my eyes, know not many will agree in here )

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm in the camp that he's a good squad player to have, but I'd still prefer Tuanzebe to be ahead in the pecking order. So if we bought an established top centre back, I'd want to then be looking towards the future as well. Not sure Lindelof will accept a squad role, let alone if Ole manages to keep his first choice pairing fit. We could do worse than sell Bailly and Lindelof and having another young centre back alongside Tuanzebe coming through.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agree it won't, I just belive fixing the midfield is a lot more important then getting a new CB.

I feel that it's bigger different btwn Man Utd midfield and Chelsea/City then it's btwn the defense.
To me Lindelöf/Maguire have a higher standard then McFred.
Lindelöf is a better defender then McTominay is a midfielder in my eyes, know not many will agree in here )
It's not Lindelof/Maguire and McFred. It's about who we can buy in the market. There are top talent or top centre back available in the market to transform our defense into same category with Man City and other top teams but there is not many midfield available out there can transform our midfield next season to be as good as Man City. Given the current conditioning, our playing style, and the current market, in my opinion, new midfielder will be the final piece while CB and attacker are the first and second pieces.

A-man

People seem to forget how weak bench we have regarding CBs. 2019/20 Lindelof and Maguire played through pain and fatigue because all, really all, backups were injured. That could easily happen again, and we can’t count on Harry being fit all the time. Now he’s been out for 6 weeks, that would 12 games if in the middle of the season. I don’t think getting rid of CBs is a very smart move. Axel I can understand. He needs to play.

Catania

Supports
Catania
It's not Lindelof/Maguire and McFred. It's about who we can buy in the market. There are top talent or top centre back available in the market to transform our defense into same category with Man City and other top teams but there is not many midfield available out there can transform our midfield next season to be as good as Man City. Given the current conditioning, our playing style, and the current market, in my opinion, new midfielder will be the final piece while CB and attacker are the first and second pieces.
I would say there is plenty of midfielders out there that would improve you, finding midfielders that is better then McFred isn't that hard....
All players are available for the right money, Sancho is a good example of that.

I don't say you shouldn't buy a new CB if you get the chance, but if prior transfers are a indicator you won't buy a new cb, cm/dm, rw and cf.
And if you do, they are far from ready for the starting eleven.
It would be bad if you focus half summer chasing a new cb and postponing fixing the midfield to next summer.

tomaldinho1

You're probably right but there are small margins in professional football. Maguire is definitely better physically and aerially & that alone makes him vastly better suited to PL football.

I'm in the camp that he's a good squad player to have, but I'd still prefer Tuanzebe to be ahead in the pecking order. So if we bought an established top centre back, I'd want to then be looking towards the future as well. Not sure Lindelof will accept a squad role, let alone if Ole manages to keep his first choice pairing fit. We could do worse than sell Bailly and Lindelof and having another young centre back alongside Tuanzebe coming through.
Maguire Varane, Lindelof and Tuanzebe would be a very good cohort.

The chances of Maguire playing almost every minute over the next two years are slim - furthermore if we could play Lindelof and Varane - then we can give Maguire a well earned rest every now and again, before he gets injured.

Lindelof has good fitness, would deffo Bon off Bailly rather than move in Lindelof.

whether he’s happy with a squad role I don’t know, but if it doesn’t work for him after a season, he can move on.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would say there is plenty of midfielders out there that would improve you, finding midfielders that is better then McFred isn't that hard....
All players are available for the right money, Sancho is a good example of that.

I don't say you shouldn't buy a new CB if you get the chance, but if prior transfers are a indicator you won't buy a new cb, cm/dm, rw and cf.
And if you do, they are far from ready for the starting eleven.
It would be bad if you focus half summer chasing a new cb and postponing fixing the midfield to next summer.
I think you might want to re-read my post.

simmee

180 minutes at a major international tournament and not a single goal let into his net.

He was a rock in the end against Slovakia. He's really good in clutch moments. Misjudged a gross and misskicked early on though. Needs to get better at that.

Mickson

180 minutes at a major international tournament and not a single goal let into his net.

Same for Danielson. He plays in China now and is 32 years old, has never played in another European league than the Swedish. Sweden's organizations are second to none, certainly a lot better than United's.

krentz

He's having a good EURO perhaps another club would take notice of him??

well Milan Baros was EURO 2004 Top scorer, so....

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's always played his best in deeper defensive lines. All his better performances for United have come when we've sat deep and countered.

If we are asked to play higher up the pitch and take control that's where he struggles more.

He's a decent box defender with no space around him apart from against big strikers. The issue is we need a defender that can do it all and play a high line too.

izec

He's always played his best in deeper defensive lines. All his better performances for United have come when we've sat deep and countered.

If we are asked to play higher up the pitch and take control that's where he struggles more.

He's a decent box defender with no space around him apart from against big strikers. The issue is we need a defender that can do it all and play a high line too.
Yes, pretty much. Good squad player, not a starter for us.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
May as well sell Bruno too while we're at it :nono:
Well no, because Bruno is actually a good player for us, who has been underwhelming so far in the Euros, whereas I think Lindelof is one of the worst first choice centre backs we’ve had for a long time, who happens to be having a good tournament so far.

Basically, your post makes no sense at all.

Dan_F

Sell him whilst his stock is high.
I wouldn’t be against it to fund Varane. I don’t think Axel wants another season of being fourth choice though. Eric Garcia didn’t accept it at City and they rotate the centre backs far more often.

Abraxas

Same for Danielson. He plays in China now and is 32 years old, has never played in another European league than the Swedish. Sweden's organizations are second to none, certainly a lot better than United's.
This is a bit simplistic, if United played three halfs of football like Sweden have done, it simply would not be acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

We can have poor games, uncreative games, but we don't have many where we can have 15% possession and not bother attacking. Or to refuse to attack for a half against a team with few threats like Slovakia. I think this is more to the point regarding Lindelof, there is nothing wrong with his ability to read play, position himself okay, he can pass a bit. But when you're asking him and Maguire to play on the half way line and for the whole team to push the game forward it's a completely different set of questions that are asked over a 38 game season.

If extrapolations are made on managers based on a couple of games of football they should at least be comparing like styles and expectations.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's much better than his most vocal detractors claim.

That's...good. But.

But = nobody would presumably cry if he were to be replaced as a starting player for Manchester United.

A-man

This is a bit simplistic, if United played three halfs of football like Sweden have done, it simply would not be acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

We can have poor games, uncreative games, but we don't have many where we can have 15% possession and not bother attacking. Or to refuse to attack for a half against a team with few threats like Slovakia. I think this is more to the point regarding Lindelof, there is nothing wrong with his ability to read play, position himself okay, he can pass a bit. But when you're asking him and Maguire to play on the half way line and for the whole team to push the game forward it's a completely different set of questions that are asked over a 38 game season.

If extrapolations are made on managers based on a couple of games of football they should at least be comparing like styles and expectations.
When we dominate a game and Lindelof is good, people say he’s decent at passing but he doesn’t like to defend.
When he plays an old school CB with high amount of aerial clearances and blocks, defending 80% of the game against Spain and get MotM, the same people say he’s good only when he is in a defensive setup.
poking back at this season I would say he was good against the top teams where we also kept several clean sheets (2xCity, 2xChelsea,Liverpool as example) but was also very good against Milan and Granada where we did not play defensive setups.

And the questions you talk about, to Maguire and Lindelof. Did they really perform that bad? We got 2.15 points per game they played. That is 81 points over a season. Add a good midfielder and a good forward and we have 90 points.

golden_blunder

Staff
When we dominate a game and Lindelof is good, people say he’s decent at passing but he doesn’t like to defend.
When he plays an old school CB with high amount of aerial clearances and blocks, defending 80% of the game against Spain and get MotM, the same people say he’s good only when he is in a defensive setup.
poking back at this season I would say he was good against the top teams where we also kept several clean sheets (2xCity, 2xChelsea,Liverpool as example) but was also very good against Milan and Granada where we did not play defensive setups.

And the questions you talk about, to Maguire and Lindelof. Did they really perform that bad? We got 2.15 points per game they played. That is 81 points over a season. Add a good midfielder and a good forward and we have 90 points.
I don’t disagree adding a midfielder, we can all see that.

but how do you propose addressing Lindelofs clear weaknesses? Ability in the air, physical battles, backing off all the time, etc?

is Manchester United too big for him?

golden_blunder

Staff
Shaw and Bruno, is there anybody else people wouldn’t want to upgrade and keep as a squad player?
Let’s not get silly, you know what it means.
you’ve been telling me all season that Redcafe match scoring tells you that the fans like Lindelof but the polls are saying something different now the season is over

A-man

I don’t disagree adding a midfielder, we can all see that.

but how do you propose addressing Lindelofs clear weaknesses? Ability in the air, physical battles, backing off all the time, etc?

is Manchester United too big for him?
In the end it’s about how much the weaknesses cost and how much we are willing to adjust to compensate for that. We want to avoid Lindelof in aerials with strong strikers and Maguire 1v1 against fast forwards. That’s how you set up the team, to play the players strengths and decrease the cost from their weaknesses.

A-man

Let’s not get silly, you know what it means.
you’ve been telling me all season that Redcafe match scoring tells you that the fans like Lindelof but the polls are saying something different now the season is over
Yes if you look at the whole season his match scoring is high, or the fans have been happy with his performance. The discrepancy between the ratings throughout the season and a poll right now shows that it’s a reaction to the last matches.

But in general I think people would like to upgrade most players.