What do we do if the caretaker does really well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If the caretaker does really well what do we do?

How do we tell the difference between them being the next Solskjær or the next Hansi Flick?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
At the very least we should wait a bit before giving him a permanent contract - regardless of how well he seems to be doing.

Ideally, the owners shouldn't let the people who currently call the shots on the football side make a single long-term decision. As in, they should replace Woodward with someone in the VDS mould AND hire a DOF - and do this before anything else gets done.

But, yeah - again - the very minimum has to be NOT to offer a long-term contract to any so-called "manager" if that person is a direct Ole replacement, as it were.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

How do we tell the difference between them being the next Solskjær or the next Hansi Flick?
Absolutely nothing. Finish your duty as a caretaker and sit down. That's it. No more nostalgia about ex-players from the club. Or the club won't be around in a decade.

DickDastardly

Depending on the caretaker.

If we appoint a real manager then yes.

Say for example we give the job to Potter, say, you have until the end of the season to show us what you know....

If Fletcher does good, i don't know...i don't want any former players anymore.
It rarely works out.

Revan

Assumptionman
I really hope that neither the board nor the cultist part of the fanbase entertain the idea of Fletcher becoming permanent regardless of the results of a couple of games. This idiotic idea made us spent close to half billion, play shit, win nothing and be in a worse position 3 years later.

Ixion

Problem with Ole is we didn't wait to the end of the season, after the PSG game and the moment we had a sniff of top 4 we massively fell away but he'd already got the job. Also need a bit of common sense as well, if we do well through huge good fortune then acknowledge it but if we really start playing some good football that's different.

Nick7

Absolutely nothing. Issue with Ole is we gave him the full role before the end of the season. We then tailed off massively.

Redfrog

Well, if the caretaker win the treble we can give him a year I suppose.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Utd appoint a manager with a Trophy winning history and if he wants to appoint the successful caretaker as his number 2 then so be it. Otherwise the successful caretaker goes to a lower league club and builds his reputation from the ground up.

Ibi Dreams

We should be making a shortlist of managers we actually genuinely want, top managers or top potential managers. Names like Ten Hag, Pochettino. Anyone not on that list should not get an extension if they end up as interim manager. A, we never really wanted them and B, we'll end up missing out on a genuinely top manager who becomes available

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Depending on the caretaker.

If we appoint a real manager then yes.

Say for example we give the job to Potter, say, you have until the end of the season to show us what you know....

If Fletcher does good, i don't know...i don't want any former players anymore.
It rarely works out.
Show me what you got!

AndySmith1990

This club has made a lot of mistakes in recent years. The best thing everyone can do now is to learn from them.

BigRon1985

Don't panic and give them a full time contract before the season is over and new manager bounce has expired!

gfive

He's the caretaker for a reason. Let's not make the exact same mistakes all over again.

Carl

I really hope that neither the board nor the cultist part of the fanbase entertain the idea of Fletcher becoming permanent regardless of the results of a couple of games. This idiotic idea made us spent close to half billion, play shit, win nothing and be in a worse position 3 years later.
In the ridiculously unrealistic scenario than Fletch wins the CL, finishes top 3 and does so in a way that shows us a legitimate style/pattern of play - then what?

Do we move on regardless just because of what happened with Ole?

Carl

The funny thing is that historically even that has happened with dire consequences (Di Matteo at Chelsea)
No one is a guarantee though. Not Zidane, Ten Hag, Pick etc etc.

Plassryss

Carrick as assistant under Fletcher. Unbelieveable combination, Carrick needs to leave. This will be a match or two with bounce and back to disaster and if Donny plays from now, even Carrick threw Ole under the bus. I am very worried

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They wont do well. There will be no bounce like Ole got. This season is already a write off.

We are going out of the CL on Tuesday and defeats to Chelsea plus Arsenal will end top 4 chances. Its a total rebuild again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
1. Wait for his first interview
2. Enjoy watching him talking the United way
3. Give him 3 year contract based on that and him being nice guy
4. ?????
5. Profit

Amir

Nothing wrong with keeping a caretaker if you have people who can judge his work beyond a few good results.

We don't have those people.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably give him the keys long term. Which is a very scary and realistic issue — especially when it seems clear the board don’t have anybody in mind

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They wont do well. There will be no bounce like Ole got. This season is already a write off.

We are going out of the CL on Tuesday and defeats to Chelsea plus Arsenal will end top 4 chances. Its a total rebuild again.
If we lose on Tuesday we are still likely only a point away from qualification no?

Josep Dowling

This club has made a lot of mistakes in recent years. The best thing everyone can do now is to learn from them.
They clearly haven’t though as once again we are looking for a new manager when no one is available. Even a month ago we could have got Conte. The board level do not learn from their mistakes and that’s why they need to go, not just the manager. Why the feck is Woodward still involved with the club?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If Fletcher is the interim/caretaker - we won't do well.
Fletcher, Carrick, Mckenna were the coaches involved in this debacle and while they are still coaching the first team, there won't be any changes in our players' technical ability.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hire a proper manager

Foxbatt

This is exactly what I am scared of. Even now some are making as if Fletcher would have been the difference in us beating Barca in the CL Final. He never was such a good player and he has never even coached. We should not give the caretaker manager anything this season. Not even if he gets to the Final of the CL. Wait until summer or at least end of the season and other better managers may become available.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We thank him and hire the best manager on the market.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
They clearly haven’t though as once again we are looking for a new manager when no one is available. Even a month ago we could have got Conte. The board level do not learn from their mistake and that’s why they need to go, not just the manager. Why the feck is Woodward still involved with the club?
I agree completely. The board have proven beyond doubt that they are incompetent.
Levy saw a problem, he saw a solution in Conte and got him. Conte, a serial winner.
Our board on the other hand wanted to hang on to Ole, even though most of the fans knew that he couldn't turn this ship around.
The fans seem to know more and have better judgement than the board.

I can only hope that the board are now working on a deal with a top quality manager. It wouldn't surprise me though, if they are now hanging all their hopes on Fletcher and Carrick....who are a big part of the reason we failed this season.

RedAlert7

If the caretaker wins a major trophy (ie champions league) whilst showing real tactical nous then yeah sure you can consider them but if its just good results that happen with the "new manager bounce" then definitely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.