What do we do if the caretaker does really well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
No one is a guarantee though. Not Zidane, Ten Hag, Pick etc etc.
Oh, of course, I was thinking out load. Even if someone does the impossible, it could still be the wrong decision to appoint him.

Personally, I would happily let whoever wins the CL for United stay in charge for 10 more years, regardless of results. It is well overdue and we haven't been close to it since... Erm... Well, probably 2010. We did progress further in 2011 but never had a real chance.

Eddy_JukeZ

Nothing. Thank him and move on.

Make a serious push at Ten Hag in the summer.

Smores

An interim should be assessed against the best available options at the end of the season. We didn't do that with Ole we let a small run of form cloud judgement and got giddy.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We didn’t really do all that well under Ole as caretaker, only comparatively to what came before. Results inevitably improved after Mourinho spent a couple of toxic months trying to get the sack but the football didn’t. There was no style, just passion. The writing was on the wall after the first fortnight or so.

If the club waited until the end of season and not after PSG and that photo with SAF and Cantona to judge Ole, he wouldn’t have stood a chance of getting the job on results or performances.

Siorac

They wont do well. There will be no bounce like Ole got. This season is already a write off.

We are going out of the CL on Tuesday and defeats to Chelsea plus Arsenal will end top 4 chances. Its a total rebuild again.
There is no possible combination of results that gets us eliminated on Tuesday. It will go down to the final day.

(unless we somehow win because then we qualify)

Gordon Godot

I will keep saying this. Nothign improves until management and football structure is improved. Sack Woodward and Arnold, bring in VDS or similar as CEO, proper DoF, then identify the best manager we can get. Caretaker is let go. Simple.

arthurka

Get someone in to finish this season use the time well to get the right man into this club.

OrcaFat

We thank him and hire the best manager on the market.
Oh but how to identify the best manager in the market?

All these clever people who can see “patterns of play” and can see “what a manager is trying to do” might look at the caretaker and see evidence of great coaching.

Or maybe we’ll get the usual cliches “what has he won?”, “he’s not Pep or Klopp” and “why didn’t we just get Poch”.

Whoever comes will be crucified if he doesn’t win the big trophies and everybody knows that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The board should have stuck to the original plan and appointed a permanent manager in the summer.

Our form was already tailing off when Ole was made permanent. If the board hadn’t shit the bed and had stuck with the original plan, Ole would have been waived off into the sunset that summer as a hero.

let’s hope they don’t make the same mistake twice…

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Sack him if there's a better manager available. What we should have done when Tuchel and Conte were available.

Walters_19_MuFc

It'd be just our luck that our caretaker manager does well, we get someone else at the start of next season and they shit the bed.

RUCK4444

They won’t. Ole did because he was a bit better than many expected.

I’ve absolutely no fear of Carrick doing exceptionally well, in fact I fear the opposite.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They wont do well. There will be no bounce like Ole got. This season is already a write off.

We are going out of the CL on Tuesday and defeats to Chelsea plus Arsenal will end top 4 chances. Its a total rebuild again.
That's the spirit... :houllier:

Dr. StrangeHate

I think we've learned now what not to do.
We thought that when Jose was given a fat contract in the middle of the season and then the Ole contract extension happened. The club doesn't learn that is the whole problem. Because Manchester United is a big club we expect that there are people there who know what they are doing when it is proven many times over they don't.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is going to happen.

Midfielders make the best managers most of the time (not all of the time). Carrick has learnt from SAF and Van Gaal who are very heavy on their types of managerial football (man management & tactical football).

He will do well but won't get the job. He will get it after the next manager is sacked.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Oh but how to identify the best manager in the market?

All these clever people who can see “patterns of play” and can see “what a manager is trying to do” might look at the caretaker and see evidence of great coaching.

Or maybe we’ll get the usual cliches “what has he won?”, “he’s not Pep or Klopp” and “why didn’t we just get Poch”.

Whoever comes will be crucified if he doesn’t win the big trophies and everybody knows that.
The manner by which most visible posters have gone about to replace mentally Ole is significant. E.g. they talk only about Zidane, Conte, Potter, Ten Hag. As if these were the only valid choices. My personal wish for United is Christophe Galtier, the guy who pipped PSG to the title last season. I know the manager can mix experience and youth on the pitch. He will be better than the aforementioned names.

But of course there are other candidates of which I know next to nothing. It's just that I was taken aback by how few potential people redcafe fans could dredge up.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
There is only one way forward. You find someone who knows how to implement a high press and make them caretaker till the end of the season. You make enough progress with that to attract a top class high press coach in the summer. That's the only option that gets us winning silverware again. So forget Zidane. Forget Bodger. Forget placating Ronaldo who is now part of the problem. Forget Conte. We want Ten Hag or Poch or someone like that so we get in whoever will best pave the way for them.

I would seriously entertain Lampard. This is exactly what he did at Chelsea. As long as it was completely clear it was just for 6 months.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Unless he wins league title or CL, or play a very exciting brand of football, there's no way he will stay beyond this season.

Quinze

If he wins a trophy or goes on a 20+ match winning run, sure. But only at the end of the season

Foxbatt

Wait until the end of the season. Don't listen to any former United players. Do the exact opposite of what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.