What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

croadyman

This is pure football manager muppetry because I don't think this many in's and out's are realistic in a Covid-stricken transfer market but I think the prices involved in each deal are fair and shows, at least theoretically, what could be achieved this summer.

In:
  • GK - Heaton (Free)
  • RB - Trippier (£20 million)
  • CB - Varane (£50 million)
  • CDM - Tchouaméni (£35 million)
  • RW - Sancho (£80 million)
Total = £185 million

Out:
  • Henderson = £30 million
  • Romero = Free
  • Dalot = £5 million
  • Jones = Free
  • Pereira = £5 million
  • James = £15 million
  • Lingard = £30 million
Total = £85 million

Loans:
  • Williams
  • Laird
  • Mengi
  • Garner
  • Pellistri
  • Elanga
Net spend = £100 million

Gives us a squad of 26 players (27 with Hannibal) with a lot of versatility:

De Gea Heaton Grant

AWB Trippier
Varane Lindelof Bailly
Maguire Tuanzebe
Shaw Telles

Tchouaméni McTominay Matic
Pogba Fred VDB
Bruno Mata Hannibal

Sancho Diallo
Cavani Greenwood
Rashford Martial

Assuming we're sticking with the 4-2-3-1 pivot system I'd like to see Pogba shifted between the LCM and LAM positions based on the quality of the opposition as the rest of the first XI will largely stay the same:
  • Against teams where we’ll look to dominate the ball

De Gea
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Tchouaméni - Pogba
Sancho - Bruno - Rashford
Cavani​

• Against teams who will look to dominate the ball against us

De Gea
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Tchouaméni - Fred
Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
Cavani​
Now that would be a top quality window but don't think we have any interest in Tchouameni and still not sure who is our top CB target either out of Varane, Torres & Kounde

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
TRANSFERS
IN - 210
(All prices in Euros)
Sancho (90)
Varane (50)
Bissouma (40)
Trippier (15)
Ings (15)
Heaton (0)

OUT - 150
Martial (40)
Lingard (30)
James (15)
Fred (15)
Tuanzebe (13)
De Gea (10)
Dalot (10)
Williams (7)
A.Pereira (5)
Chong (5)
Mata (0)
Jones (0)
Romero (0)
Grant (0)
J.Pereira (0)

LOAN
Pellistri
Garner
Mengi
Laird
Galbraith
Elanga
Levitt

TEAM
Starting XI:
Henderson - Wan-Bissaka, Varane, Maguire, Shaw - Bissouma; Fernandes, Pogba - Sancho, Cavani, Rashford

Bench: Heaton, Trippier, Lindelöf, Bailly, Telles, Matic, McTominay, Hannibal, Van de Beek, Diallo, Greenwood & Ings

Diabovermelho

DM, CB, RW, RB definitely. In the end, we may have to choose between CB or DM. Should we bring both, one of them is going to be on a budget. My lucky guess is we are signing Sancho, Trippier, CB (either Torres, Koundé or Varane), and if there's any money left, a "cheap" DM.

croadyman

I don't care how kneejerk this is going to make me sound but we could well need even more first XI players than I first thought, there is a real argument that it's actually GK, CB, CDM, RW & ST to really ever challenge

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Replace Lindelof and sign more squad depth so we have more trustworthy options to bring on to change the game. Kounde, Sancho/Raphinha, and Trippier. (Realistic expectation)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just need to find the CDM too
Doubt we have the money after signing a CB & an attacker. A new CDM today won't allow Ole to make his subs early because McTominay is not exactly someone he will bring to replace that new CDM or Pogba to change the game in 70th min.

If he has Sancho for example and he's on the bench today, he will bring him on for Greenwood or Rashford before 70th min and could win us the game may be. Beside, McTominay was very good today. Trippier could be another contender since he offers something different to Bissaka offensively, means could be a game changer.

croadyman

Doubt we have the money after signing a CB & an attacker. A new CDM today won't allow Ole to make his subs early because McTominay is not exactly someone he will bring to replace that new CDM or Pogba to change the game in 70th min.

If he has Sancho for example and he's on the bench today, he will bring him on for Greenwood or Rashford before 70th min and could win us the game may be. Beside, McTominay was very good today. Trippier could be another contender since he offers something different to Bissaka offensively, means could be a game changer.
Could Grealish offer us more than Jadon just forgetting about the position issue for a minute

croadyman

What this team lacks is players good in tight spaces and players that are good at retaining the ball, Grealish can do both of these things yet maintain his ability to be a positive player.
That is why I am so bloody frustrated he plays on the wrong side and seems to rule him out the running in our boards eyes

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Could Grealish offer us more than Jadon just forgetting about the position issue for a minute
Grealish will be amazing, I think he could solve our problem against team like today or Sheffield or West Brom or Crystal Palace but Sancho can play left, right, centre. We have Rashford, Martial, & Pogba can play on the left, I'm hesitate on Grealish due to of that.

Although, I would still be very happy with Grealish instead of Sancho because anyone quality will still make big difference. It's better than signing someone who is not trustworthy or not going to be used.

croadyman

Grealish will be amazing, I think he could solve our problem against team like today or Sheffield or West Brom or Crystal Palace but Sancho can play left, right, centre. We have Rashford, Martial, & Pogba can play on the left, I'm hesitate on Grealish due to of that.

Although, I would still be very happy with Grealish instead of Sancho because anyone quality will still make big difference. It's better than signing someone who is not trustworthy or not going to be used.
Yeah this inability to play on the RW is holding back a move for him so much along with Pogba staying too

lex talionis

I hope today proved beyond all reasonable doubt that we need more than anything else a second creative attacking player. We need a CB too, and I wouldn't violently disagree with anyone who argues we need an upgrade on Lindelof before Sancho, but we really do need an attacking player who can take some of the load off Bruno.

If we had Sancho today is there any real doubt we would have scored a second goal on Villareal? Not a chance. Rashford was beyond dire, although he took his pk well, but there was no chance Ole was going to bring on James or Diallo in a EL cup final. We're just too thin up front -- and no, I am not forgetting the aging but brilliant Cavani -- and if we want to win trophies we better wrap up the deal for Sancho (assume all talk of Kane and Haaland is absurd) before the Euros begin.

I'm pretty much done with Lindelof. He's a decent option coming off the bench for rotation, but he's just not man enough on aerial threats. If you're an opposing manager, you plan your attack on attacking Lindelof.

Could we use a CDM as well? Of course, but it's safe to assume we don't have 200m in the transfer budget. The real priorities must be addressed first -- a versatile attacking RW who can (and often does) play LW and a CB.

croadyman

Really hope they don't wait bloody days to have this supposed transfer targets meeting because needs to happen pretty much as soon as we get back to Manchester and tonight proves there is much work to do

Yorke to Cole

Who are you going to get that is available? Apart from Guardiola there is not anyone who throws me overboard. Klopp will be intresting to see how he does as with Dortmund he burnt himself out and finished mid table in his last year and thus Liverpool have got a lot of ground to make up ( which could go either way). Pochettino we have to wait and see how he does in a largely incompetitive league.

The younger Germany coaches have made job changes amongst themselves.That leaves Hiddink, Anchelotti, Rodgers. The first two are yesteryear.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We need to sign a CB (Torres/Varane/Kounde), a top right winger (Sancho), depth behind Wan Bissaka (Trippier), and an upgrade in our midfield to add more composure, control, solidity etc (however we do it, 1 or 2 new mids). We'll likely need a new goalkeeper as DDG probably just played his last game, and Henderson is nothing more than an average stop gap. Good chance we'll need to do something up top, though I have belief that Greenwood can become a world class striker.

More importantly than any signing, we need a whole new coaching team for set pieces at both ends. What the feck guys. That was the worst season I've ever seen in terms of both attacking and more specifically, defending set pieces. Absolutely horrible. Sackable offence on it's own.

jackal&hyde

I don't care how kneejerk this is going to make me sound but we could well need even more first XI players than I first thought, there is a real argument that it's actually GK, CB, CDM, RW & ST to really ever challenge
It's true I think. The only silver lining here is that at least for CB and ST we had some other options but were injured. For the wings and mid though, we are depleted of options and quality.

Cman

We need to sign a CB (Torres/Varane/Kounde), a top right winger (Sancho), depth behind Wan Bissaka (Trippier), and an upgrade in our midfield to add more composure, control, solidity etc (however we do it, 1 or 2 new mids). We'll likely need a new goalkeeper as DDG probably just played his last game, and Henderson is nothing more than an average stop gap. Good chance we'll need to do something up top, though I have belief that Greenwood can become a world class striker.

More importantly than any signing, we need a whole new coaching team for set pieces at both ends. What the feck guys. That was the worst season I've ever seen in terms of both attacking and more specifically, defending set pieces. Absolutely horrible. Sackable offence on it's own.
Totally agree with the last part. We have be terrible at defending set pieces this season and I think we need to address it with both player and coaching changes. Fergie was afraid to bring in Quieroz when we needed a more tactical number 2 and I think we could do with a better defensive and tactical coach to bring in some new ideas and expertise.
I’d be happier if we didn’t bring in a CB this year if we can’t identify and get one that will be a serious upgrade, as long as we get in a good CDM and an assistant coach who can organise our defence better.
We def need a new CB too but no point in just bringing in someone for the sake of it.

Truckham

When we are on it we look fantastic. However we seem to be slow starters and we seem to lose steam by the end of the campaign. Aside from a world class CB I actually think we have a very strong squad already.. What Ole must absolutely have to learn for next season is trusting his squad players and start rotating! Give VDB 3 matches in a row from time to time, let Diallo and Martial replace Rashford and Greenwood and let Lingard replace Fernandes. A bit unsure however whether Williams and Dalot will provide proper backup for AWB..

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We have three priorities.

If you're saying no 1 for you is CB then I disagree. Pogba was as bad if not worse than Bailly or Lindelof last night.
I’m not saying we sign just a cb. I’m saying we definitely need a good cb added this window to play alongside maguire. It’s equally important as anything else

izec

A new manager and coaching staff is the first thing that needs to be addressed. Shit at set pieces and beating the low block. Zero progress there

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The spine of our team needs major surgery. The defensive and midfield options are not good enough, outside of one or two players.

The club has spent far too much on far too many middling players. Leicester's midfield and centre back options shame ours, yet they've spent a fraction of what we have.

Roboc7

We need 3-4 players but better management and coaching is equally as important.

Giggsyking

We need a CF in one year
a CB this or the next season.
We need a right wing before the beginning of the season

And most importantly from this moment, a new real manager. Because all of the above wont make any difference if we still have the same mediocre manager.

lilcurt

Doesn't matter what we get while Ole is in charge. We could assemble the best squad in Europe and through lack of good coaching and in game management we would still struggle to be consistent and achieve great things. He just doesn't have it in him.

JG3001

CB, CDM, RB, RW and ST is what I believe we need. We’ll get 3 at best and I doubt it’ll be 3 first team players. Need new coaching staff as well, with the mates club going on that’s an impossibility.

Chairman Steve

Doesn't matter what we get while Ole is in charge. We could assemble the best squad in Europe and through lack of good coaching and in game management we would still struggle to be consistent and achieve great things. He just doesn't have it in him.
This is one of my biggest fears under OGS. He could hypothetically have heavy backing in the summer and get Sancho, Kane, Grealish, Rice... you name it, but we‘d still look like the same team we've been seeing for the past 18 months. Sometimes it feels like the OGS endgame is have a squad of individual brilliance and “to hell with developing systems, one of them is bound to produce a moment of brilliance to win the game for us!”

Martialfc

if our manager had any balls he’d sell Pogba, Rashford, Fred, Lindelof, Martial, Mata, James, De gea and completely over hall the squad. We will never win with these jokers starting every week. You guys have to understand Pogba and Rashford are just useless controversial but true. Give me Carrick over Pogba any day.

moxdevil

A centre back and a couple of genuine central midfielders should be priority. Build and improve the spine of the team first and set the tempo of how you want to play.

BorisManUtd

Out: De Gea, Dalot, Bailly, Jones, Williams, Matić, Mata, Pereira, James, Lingard. One more season for Martial and vdB to prove themselves.

In: another RB, CB, DM, RW.

We could actually get decent money on sales of some of those players (DDG, Dalot, Bailly, Matić, Pereira, James, Lingard).

Last edited:

croadyman

A new manager and coaching staff is the first thing that needs to be addressed. Shit at set pieces and beating the low block. Zero progress there
He has to finally show some proper balls on the coaching front and dispense with some of the Utd old boys club and bring in some experienced people who aren't afraid to tell him on the training pitch when he's doing things wrong

bsCallout

Yeah we do in my opinion and I know he doesn't play in the right position
He definitely comes across as some one with the mentality to help take a team over the line.

After Greenwoods form at RW, having Amad and Rashford being off the pace, Grealish seems a great buy.

croadyman

He definitely comes across as some one with the mentality to help take a team over the line.

After Greenwoods form at RW, having Amad and Rashford being off the pace, Grealish seems a great buy.
Try telling that to our board though who will just let me happily head off to City with Kane