What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Macedonian Red

At first, we need to sell Lingard, Pereira, James and Matic. Then we need to buy DM.

Second, Pogba and De Gea. Both with astronomic salary, both didnt perform enough. We need to sell them and to find their replacements.

Third we need to sell Dalot and Williams or maybe to sent them on loan. Then we need to buy cover for AWB, someone who can attack.

There are more players in the squad (like Martial) which needs to be replaced but this is not FM so step by step. Others like Vdb and Hendo must show if deserve our shirt, if not sell them next summer.

Gurtej

Any chance we can raid Barca for either Pedri or De Jong? We need more class midfielders …

Devil may care

It's starting to look like Pogba is going to run his contract out, which means we have to try and shift Lingard, James, Matic and Pereira this summer to fund a midfielder, then sell one of the keepers, Dalot and Bailly next summer. The midfielder options seem to be narrowing to Saul and Neves, I'm far from sure about either, Neves has quality on the ball but he isn't the most mobile, while Saul is a high end Jack of all trades master of none, hopefully Ole and the scouts pull a surprise out of the hat.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
With the addition of Sancho and Varane we can close the gap on City this year and sustain a solid challenge way beyond January.

I think the squad is fine. Yes we could move a few on but we need to stick with what we have and make plans to replace Pogba and Cavani next summer.

dal

I think we are another winger/AM and CM away.

We must always continually look to improve but we still need those two positions this year, Next year we may need a striker.

Say what you want about Ole, but clearly we are finally close to a team. The *ONLY* positions with any questions over who starts/quality is RB and DCM.
If you’re putting it all on Ole then surely you also gotta question Ole as to why we spent big money on a right back that isn’t a great footballer.
I don’t put it all on Ole, so I think the transfer board are likely more guilty for that one.
The entire club has in fairness done a cracking job since realising that the LVG-Mourinho model was unfeasible long term. Considering the fact we brought back Phelan and Ole, you can be certain the great man had a big input into this post Mou direction.

Jacob

Getting impatient now. Do something! Sell some, buy some. Two weeks to go.

OrcaFat

Cover at (right) full back x1 (AWB needs competition and the occasional rest)
Leader in CM x1 (we look shambolic there at times)
Striker x1 (looking pretty thin if Cavani drops off or gets injured)

Olecurls99

I think we have enough to challenge. Nobody has the best player for every position, but if Ole uses the squad correctly and we get a bit of luck with injuries, we can win the league.

That means giving the job to Henderson, Playing the same back 4 for all league and most CL games, playing 2 attacking midfielders (Pogba, Bruno, Donny, Amad) against every team, and rotating the excellent attacking players we have now.

Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood, Cavani is the best front 5 in the league and should solve our problems against the bus packers.

If we're lighting up the league, then Pogba will stay. After that we can just tweak the squad here and there. Let's go United

MrSingh2002

Sell
Lingard, Jones, Pereira, Dalot, Fred and Martial

Buy
Trippier, Neves and Lautaro Martinez

I'd offer any of those players to Inter Milan plus cash for Martinez.

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Neves
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Martinez Rashford

We're only two players off that starting 11. Neves is a no brainer. Martinez is a no brainer. Give him Martials wages and he bites our hand off.

MrSingh2002

Dribbles like Kaka
Shoots like Aguero
Headers like Cavani
Hustles like Rooney

Lautaro Martinez. The centre forward we want for the next 10 years.

A fast, two footed finisher who works hard. He's the finishing touch to our attack. He's got good link up play and drops in if needed to get the ball and carry it forward.

Rashford Martinez Sancho
Fernandes
Matic Neves

Assuming Pogba is leaving.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Still need that centre mid. Like a monster centre mid. Then next summer that top quality striker and we are in some very decent shape.

Pogba replacement if he goes. Either this summer or next.

Rob Bowman

If you’re putting it all on Ole then surely you also gotta question Ole as to why we spent big money on a right back that isn’t a great footballer.
I don’t put it all on Ole, so I think the transfer board are likely more guilty for that one.
The entire club has in fairness done a cracking job since realising that the LVG-Mourinho model was unfeasible long term. Considering the fact we brought back Phelan and Ole, you can be certain the great man had a big input into this post Mou direction.
Fair points but at the end of the day, Ole agreed to have him back. So yes lots of people besides Ole are helping this along, but under Ole we have a clear direction. So end of the day Ole gets the blame or Ole gets the credit.

MrSingh2002

Looks like we paid what we needed to get two priority deals done early and now they're going to see what deals they can take advantage of at the end of the window to address the midfield and attacking right back targets.

Hopefully they can pull off a couple of midfield deals if Pogba is going to be sold off.

Ronaldo's Love Child

At first, we need to sell Lingard, Pereira, James and Matic. Then we need to buy DM.

Second, Pogba and De Gea. Both with astronomic salary, both didnt perform enough. We need to sell them and to find their replacements.

Third we need to sell Dalot and Williams or maybe to sent them on loan. Then we need to buy cover for AWB, someone who can attack.
Don't forget Phil Jones!! I think Elvis has been spotted more times than Jones in the last 18 months

RedDevilRoshi

Still need that centre mid. Like a monster centre mid. Then next summer that top quality striker and we are in some very decent shape.

Pogba replacement if he goes. Either this summer or next.
I think a deep lying playmaker would be more suited than a “monster type” midfielder. Basically a Michael Carrick type would be perfect in that midfield just in front of the defence and behind Bruno. If we hadn’t bought Varane or any other CB then I’d think that the midfielder would have to be a tackler/enforcer type in order to protect the defence.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sell
Lingard, Jones, Pereira, Dalot, Fred and Martial

Buy
Trippier, Neves and Lautaro Martinez

I'd offer any of those players to Inter Milan plus cash for Martinez.

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Neves
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Martinez Rashford

We're only two players off that starting 11. Neves is a no brainer. Martinez is a no brainer. Give him Martials wages and he bites our hand off.
How do we ever win the ball back with that midfield 3?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I seen that John murtough is talking to Saul, camavinga and neves… just wondering out of the 3 who would everyone prefer and why? I think camavinga is the type of player we need more, he’s better at tackling then the other 2 and has better attributes at defending. I wouldn’t mind Saul though, he’s a work horse and will cover a lot of the ground, him and Bruno will work quite well together I think with there energy. I think with neves your getting someone who is better at passing and has a decent shot on him.. I’ve not seen anything from him defensively though.

theklr

I seen that John murtough is talking to Saul, camavinga and neves… just wondering out of the 3 who would everyone prefer and why? I think camavinga is the type of player we need more, he’s better at tackling then the other 2 and has better attributes at defending. I wouldn’t mind Saul though, he’s a work horse and will cover a lot of the ground, him and Bruno will work quite well together I think with there energy. I think with neves your getting someone who is better at passing and has a decent shot on him.. I’ve not seen anything from him defensively though.
Camavinga isnt a first teamer for at least a year. He’s a signing for the future and not right now.

Neves has some quite good defensive stats and can be the deepest in the pivot with either Fred or McT, but not Pogba.

Saul can do abit of everything but isnt a true CDM, more of a box to box.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Camavinga would be the best by far, if the aim to be a team who wants to press high and play a high tempo fast transition play style as Ole as alluded to. Neves has been average in the EPL and would get bypassed on the counter in a front front foot approach with a high defensive back line which would put even more pressure on the CBs. Saul would also be good if he could rediscover his form from prior years and would make us a well oiled machine rather than be a stand out performer in the position due to him being a jack of all trades type without being master of any IMO.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Sign Ndidi (first team) and Danny Ings (as cover)

If we went left field id sign Kamara from Rangers, does all the dirty work and can push forward when needs to. Would cost maybe £15m, has bags of stamina and isnt phased when playing against better opposition seems to thrive against them.
John Mcginn another player excellent at ball retention and winning it back.
Billy Gilmour, 20 yr old made Englands midfield chase shadows all night in the Euros, wee man has some engine is tenacious, and is a player who is greedy for the ball hence his ball winning ability. £30m would get him from Chelsea, they paid £200k to Rangers for him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Saul IMO isn't good enough and is just kind of a box to box player. Ruben Neves at least is a deep lying playmaker, but not the right level. Camavinga has elite potential but still IMO we would want someone who holds position a lot more next to him, but he's one who you could build a balanced midfield with.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Austin's not entirely wrong* but he's a twat for saying so, it's not at all kosher to criticise a fellow professional's ability (especially one you played about a week ago). I'd say save it til he's a pundit but doubt anyone is going to employ him as he can barely string a sentence together.

*to clarify, I think AWB is the best one on one tackler in the league by some distance but I think he's massively overrated as a general defender - his man marking his abysmal and he just seems to completely switch off sometimes.

The tackling is spectacular but can you think of any other top class full backs whose entire game was built around being able to do flashy sliding tackles?
I’d say to Austin, he’s the one at Man Utd reaching 2nd in the PL, you’re at QPR in the championship

croadyman

Really need a positive update on signing a midfielder after that Grealish body blow

James35

I fear our business is done. Even with Sancho and Varane I cannot help feeling underwhelmed so far.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I fear our business is done. Even with Sancho and Varane I cannot help feeling underwhelmed so far.
This. If our goal was to get another player in with funds from selling players we would have already sold Lingard & James.

At this point, I'm happy with a RB, be it Tripp or someone else and a Pogba replacement, if he leaves.

We lack a great goalie. It seems the club feels differently, sadly.

Onana (GK) and Bazoer (CB/DM and probably a better RB than our current options bar AWB) have some characters flaws, but they're 2 of the Eredivisie's best players priced at ~10m each. Could fund both those transfers with the Lingard (or James + Pereira) sale.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I really hope we aren’t done.
We're not done at all. Clubs will wait for last weeks of August to have easier conditions to sign players. Last year after Donny deal there was almost exact silence, just to witness three players signing in the end.

The real question for me is, who exactly United are chasing after, because from the looks of it Ole is directly focused on Camavinga and he's absolutely calm & patient about it.

Chairman Steve

Can still see Trippier joining. Think Utd will run down the clock and then get him close to deadline day. Wouldn’t surprise me if Atleticos stance is also partly for show like they dont want to be seen selling a tidy player but they’ll put on show to make it look like they were defiant until the end (memories of Bilbao doing something like that right to the last minute until we bought Herrera).

Devil may care

If Ole doesn't get at least one quality midfielder then we won't be troubling City or Chelsea, it'll be another top 4 cup season.

Jaxa

Not to sound like a spoilt brat because i'm over the moon with Varane & Sancho but it will just feel like an opportunity missed if we do not address the CDM issue this summer,

Before the window opened there was 2 glaringly obvious pain points in the team and that was a CB to pair with Maguire which has been addressed with probably the best option you could ever hope for so fair fecks to the club for that.

And the 2nd was a CDM and our need to stop using the dreaded McFred, we cannot go into a season having to play those two as our first choice because 1. we are using two players where all we need is one if they are good enough and 2. even both together their not the quality that's required.

Neves, Saul, Camavinga, Kessie, any of those would be a fantastic signing, it needs to happen or were going to struggle to mount any sort of challenge this season ahead.

RedKnight88

If we want to win major trophies this needs to be what we buy over the next few transfer windows:

Frankie de Jong -- £100m .... Not sure on his value, but it should be somewhere around that price.
Erling Haaland --£75m.. Buy out clause.

Then we can integrate the youth we have coming through. Elanga, Shoretire, Garner, Hannibal, Amad,

MrSingh2002

I want us to be ruthless and raid clubs like Barca and Madrid for anyone that improves us. With many clubs in financial difficulty we can breath under water longer than them and need to capitalise the same way they would had the shoe been on the other foot.

CDMs
Casemiro Real
De Jong Barca

CMs
Valverde Real
Barella Inter
Pedri Barca
Neves Wolves as backup

ST
Haaland
Lewandowski if Haaland goes to Bayern
Martinez Inter

Let's go shopping a year early for the CDM and ST we need anyway.

The CMs we need more if Pogba is leaving but an extra CM wouldn't kill us even if Pogba signs an extension.

Devil may care

Ridiculously it looks like we'll be starting another season with the same unbalanced mess in midfield. I know the Caf is obsessed with Haaland but I think midfield will finally be (partly) addressed next summer, I just get the feeling we'll go for an overpriced PL player who's not particularly good on the ball and hope Van de Beek grows into the deeper midfield role.

Leaving on a free - Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Mata and Matic.
Sell - Bailly, Dan James and Dalot
In - Ndidi and squad forward

croadyman

Not to sound like a spoilt brat because i'm over the moon with Varane & Sancho but it will just feel like an opportunity missed if we do not address the CDM issue this summer,

Before the window opened there was 2 glaringly obvious pain points in the team and that was a CB to pair with Maguire which has been addressed with probably the best option you could ever hope for so fair fecks to the club for that.

And the 2nd was a CDM and our need to stop using the dreaded McFred, we cannot go into a season having to play those two as our first choice because 1. we are using two players where all we need is one if they are good enough and 2. even both together their not the quality that's required.

Neves, Saul, Camavinga, Kessie, any of those would be a fantastic signing, it needs to happen or were going to struggle to mount any sort of challenge this season ahead.
Yeah I feel exactly the same and you certainly don't sound like a spoilt brat at all because we desperately need a CDM for our first XI as only got one in the whole squad, hopefully we will see less of that McFred partnership once Varane starts games which shouldn't take too long but there is no doubt this midfield still lacks a DM with both the positional sense and passing

Crashoutcassius

All united transfer news has gone very quiet. it would be pretty disappointing if we don't end up with a centre mid, especially if chelsea and city end up outspending us on what are already far better squads.