• Matic
  • Pogba
  • Lingard
  • Van de Beek
  • Ronaldo
  • Cavani
Buy:
  • Sule (free)
  • Kessie (free)/Kamara (free)/Brozovic (free)
  • Guimaraes (40m)
  • Mazraoui (free)
Starting 11:
De Gea
Mazraoui Varane Sule Shaw
Guimaraes Kessie Bruno
Sancho Greenwood Rashford

Heaton
Dalot Lindelof Maguire Telles
??? McTominay Fred
Amad ??? Martial​
Garner, Laird, Elanga, Hannibal seeing out the squad numbers.

The amount of out of contract players this summer that would fit us perfectly is crazy, we really can't miss this opportunity. We need to do a decent turnover this summer and we'll never have a better chance with the perfect player profiles. Mazraoui for right back, Kamara/Kessie/Brozovic as a holding midfielder, Sule as a better centerback to partner Varane, and use the money for a proper potential top class controlling midfielder in Guimaraes, and then figure out the attack again since we'll need to clear out a good chunk of them (even included Martial in the depth position just so we don't have too much to do there).

Devil may care

It doesn't look like we're going to do anything in this window so hopefully we get 3 signings in the summer.

#6 - Tchouameni/Rice/Palhinha
#8 - De Jong/Tielemans/Caqueret/Fabian Ruiz/Bellingham/Ramsey
#9 - Schick/Isak/Osimhen

Sea-Cow

This is such a good post I think back to on occasion.

Well we've gotten a clue in Ralf Rangnick. But for some reason we got him as an interim manager and at the same time seem to be reluctant to back him. Presumably because he isn't a world class manager and won't be the next permanent manager. Who'd have thought Lokomotiv Moscow's DoF wouldnt set the PL on fire? :rolleyes:

I thought the whole point of the appointment was to get structure in and I assumed his successor would be in line with his philosophy. So why can't we get the bloke a DM his successor is also likely to rate and why are we still being linked with even more superstar names by legit outlets?

Odds are if the galactico isn't Ngolo Kante himself, we don't need him.

/rant
Yeah that is a great post. They nail it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hope it's not inappropriate to look at the far more trivial football implications of these Greenwood allegations but presumably a situation where he doesn't play for us again changes our priorities somewhat this summer?

Obviously Cavani will be leaving, Martial was halfway out the door and Ronaldo will soon be gone too. Some may have held Greenwood as the long term furture of our attack (possibly taking over as a starting CF at some point in the coming seasons) and that is now in jeopardy to put it mildly.

Does further attacking talent then become an immediate priority? Or is it a case of keeping Martial, using Amad and hoping that's enough?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Hope it's not inappropriate to look at the far more trivial football implications of these Greenwood allegations but presumably a situation where he doesn't play for us again changes our priorities somewhat this summer?

Obviously Cavani will be leaving, Martial was halfway out the door and Ronaldo will soon be gone too. Some may have held Greenwood as the long term furture of our attack (possibly taking over as a starting CF at some point in the coming seasons) and that is now in jeopardy to put it mildly.

Does further attacking talent then become an immediate priority? Or is it a case of keeping Martial, using Amad and hoping that's enough?
Since our long-term project of a #9 is no longer, it really changes everything. We'll have to start looking for a new target; perhaps Osimhen/Isak/Adeyemi/David.

The priority is still the two midfield signings though.

ShinjiNinja26

Well it looks like we’ll be back in the market for a striker a lot sooner than we expected seeing as the guy who was going to lead the line for us for the next 10 years has decided to flush his career down the toilet.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will use this to focus on purely the United/footballing side of the situation.

Suddenly attack has become absolutely vital to strengthen. I'd imagine no way Martial is sold this summer. Ronaldo might be forced to stay as well, though he might have clauses to get out if we don't get top 4.

Rashford and Sancho are suddenly the only 2 players in the front 3 who will definitely be at the club next season :lol: . Cavani off, Ronaldo maybe off, Greenwood probably never playing again, Lingard off, Martial possibly off... Yeah shit like this sets you back a long way.

gajender

Suddenly attack has become absolutely vital to strengthen. I'd imagine no way Martial is sold this summer. Ronaldo might be forced to stay as well, though he might have clauses to get out if we don't get top 4.

Rashford and Sancho are suddenly the only 2 players in the front 3 who will definitely be at the club next season :lol: . Cavani off, Ronaldo maybe off, Greenwood probably never playing again, Lingard off, Martial possibly off... Yeah shit like this sets you back a long way.
I think only certainty is Sancho because we only bought him this summer, even Rashford have question marks due to his contract situation and his erratic form .

bosnian_red

I think only certainty is Sancho because we only bought him this summer, even Rashford have question marks due to his contract situation and his erratic form .
There's 0 chance Rashford goes anywhere. It's effectively going until 2024 at the moment, no rush to do anything yet but pretty much him and Sancho are both guaranteed to be at the club and starters next season IMO.

gajender

There's 0 chance Rashford goes anywhere. It's effectively going until 2024 at the moment, no rush to do anything yet but pretty much him and Sancho are both guaranteed to be at the club and starters next season IMO.
So effectively we either extend his contract or risk him running his contract down as well .
Just to add Sancho has all to prove to become starter hopefully he does that during rest of the Season and not convinced Rashford should guaranteed starter at all.

bosnian_red

So effectively we either extend his contract or risk him running his contract down as well .
Just to add Sancho has all to prove to become starter hopefully he does that during rest of the Season and not convinced Rashford should guaranteed starter at all.
Yeah both have a lot to prove, but like... At the base level, we need numbers. We might be in a situation where the only attackers at the club are Rashford, Sancho, and then youth like Elanga, Hannibal and Shoretire. By default they are automatic starters. We can't just buy 3 world class attackers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Yup. Feels like the worst part in all of this imo is that clearout is still needed even more in grotesque situation like this. The squad is rotting with anti-football, ego driven and just careless attitude.

Wondering how grotesque will it go further. One thing's for sure, I don't recognize this club anymore. Amount of damage is out of control and we're still before toughest run of fixtures starting 23th February vs Atletico.

bosskeano

so we've loaned out martial, amad, pellestri and soon to be Donny.....Mason will probably never play for United again.

We know we are short in midfield in terms of depth and quality. We have now up top Ronaldo, Cavani, Elanga and Sancho for the 3 attacking positions with Matic, Bruno, Fred and Scott for the 3 midfield positions.

That's clearly not enough to make it through fighting for a top 4 spot in the league and in the CL knockouts especially with Spurs bringing in two guys this window.

Ralf is high on Hannibal but he's not going to help us in either comp right now given his age and stature. It's definitely something to worry about for the next 4 months.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
so we've loaned out martial, amad, pellestri and soon to be Donny.....Mason will probably never play for United again.

We know we are short in midfield in terms of depth and quality. We have now up top Ronaldo, Cavani, Elanga and Sancho for the 3 attacking positions with Matic, Bruno, Fred and Scott for the 3 midfield positions.

That's clearly not enough to make it through fighting for a top 4 spot in the league and in the CL knockouts especially with Spurs bringing in two guys this window.

Ralf is high on Hannibal but he's not going to help us in either comp right now given his age and stature. It's definitely something to worry about for the next 4 months.
You forgot Jlingz, Pogba and there's also Shoretire.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Shows you how fast life can change. Doesn't feel that long ago I was excited for a front three of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood (shoutout to @Amadaeus ' classic thread on them) and that's gone up in smoke!

Infra-red

Henderson, Grant, Jones, Bailly, Matic, Pogba, VDB, Lingard, Mata, Ronaldo, Martial, and Cavani are likely to depart in the next six months.

Assuming two players for every position, the expected squad for next season looks something like:

GK: De Gea
GK: Heaton

DR: Dalot
DR: AWB
DL: Shaw
DL: Telles
DC: Varane
DC: Maguire
DC: Lindelof
DC:?

CM: Fred
CM: McTominay
CM: ?
CM: ?
#10: Fernandes
#10:?

AMR: Sancho
AMR: ?
AML: Rashford
AML: Elanga

ST: ?
ST: ?

It looks like a fairly major rebuild, with four or five additions needed, even if Ronaldo sticks around.

Lots of work for the incoming manager, although he does at least have a relatively clean slate as far as the midfield and attack are concerned.

Nickelodeon

Even though it compares nothing with what the victim is going through, the consequences of today’s news is also on our long term attacking options. Our answer to Mbappe, Haaland, Vlahovic etc is finished. We have lost roughly a 100 million player. Our future business will have to take this into consideration.

Roboc7

RIght back is still an issue, two new midfielders are needed, don’t have a natural right winger (even Sancho is better on the left) and need a centre forward as well.

There is loads for a new manager to do, maybe they can solve some issues without bringing new players in but it’s going to take at least couple of summer transfer windows at best.

Andy_Cole

Even though it compares nothing with what the victim is going through, the consequences of today’s news is also on our long term attacking options. Our answer to Mbappe, Haaland, Vlahovic etc is finished. We have lost roughly a 100 million player. Our future business will have to take this into consideration.
Absolutely. We’re a bit screwed with Martial, Cavani and Ronaldo out too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep.

The Greenwood problem doesn't just mean a reassesment of immediate plans (in the way knowing he'd be out injured for all of next season would, for example) but also very likely their longer term ideas for that position too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if funds that were intended to go elsewhere this summer end up being spent in attack.

bosnian_red

Yep.

The Greenwood problem doesn't just mean a reassesment of immediate plans (in the way knowing he'd be out injured for all of next season would, for example) but also very likely their longer term ideas for that position too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if funds that were intended to go elsewhere this summer end up being spent in attack.
Yep. Don't think there's a chance we sell Martial in the summer now.

bosskeano

You forgot Jlingz, Pogba and there's also Shoretire.
Jesse has been around all season and neither Ole or Ralf has played him so they just don't seem to rate him. As for Pogba....he's coming off a 2-3 month injury so it'll take him a couple weeks and quite honestly he hasn't shown, much like Martial, that he has the bottle to get the job done

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Jesse has been around all season and neither Ole or Ralf has played him so they just don't seem to rate him. As for Pogba....he's coming off a 2-3 month injury so it'll take him a couple weeks and quite honestly he hasn't shown, much like Martial, that he has the bottle to get the job done
Pogba has proven before he can come right back from an injury and be immense.
Remember Milan (or was it Roma?) away? He came on at HT and changed the game.

Lingard wasn't rated ahead of the options, at the time but the drop off in quality is negligible. He can have the Martial's/James'/VDB's fringe minutes.

Devil may care

Since our long-term project of a #9 is no longer, it really changes everything. We'll have to start looking for a new target; perhaps Osimhen/Isak/Adeyemi/David.

The priority is still the two midfield signings though.
I think all three positions are a priority now, we can't go into the season with a 37 year old Ronaldo as our only #9.

Bwuk

We need major surgery in the summer, and I imagine that's why we haven't signed anyone and we have been moving players on. We've had far too bloated a squad for a few years now.

I would imagine in the summer, we will sell/release the following; Henderson, Grant, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Williams, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Andreas, Matic, Van de Beek, Marital, Pellistri, Greenwood & Chong, leaving us with the following squad.

I also think we will likely have a few more go out on loan from the youth - Shoretire & Mengi again.

Goalkeepers
De Gea
Heaton

Defenders
Lindelof
Maguire
Varane
Dalot
Shaw
Telles
Wan-Bissaka

Midfielders
Fred
Bruno
Garner
McTominay
Hannibal

Forwards
Ronaldo
Rashford
Sancho
Elanga
Amad

I think assessing that we could do with ;
  • Either promoting a youth keeper, or finding a backup keeper on the cheap.
  • I think we could do with another CB
  • Midfield is very light. Badly need a #6 and another creative player to lessen the burden on Bruno
  • We need a striker.

I'd prioritise #6 > Striker > Creative #8 > CB > FB.

MUFC OK

On an immediate basis, we need to recall one of Martial, Amad, or even Pellistri. Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Lingard simply isnt enough and the latter isnt even a winger. You just know we'll end up playing a big game with Mata on the wing at this rate..

Have no issue with the Donny loan as we never even used him.

Last edited:

mavradal

Most urgently I think we need a top defensive midfielder and with Cristiano Ronaldo and Cavani leaving sooner or later we need a promising young striker, Declan Rice and Alexander Isak are my top choices for these positions.

jesperjaap

Attacking Right Back
Young promising Centre Back
Two central midfielders
A replacement for Greenwood
A striker

Six SIgnings, wont even mention names but young players in the French league fill a few of mine

Squad is bloated though and jsut as important for me is for us to offload players NOT on loan but PERMANENTLY and I hope its at least ten from the likes of Grant, jOnes, DAlot, Bailly, Williams, Tuanzabe,Mata,Pogba, VDB, Lingard, Pereira, Fred, Matic,Martial,Chong....and obviously for very different reasons its a shame but one Im happy to leave as he his doen his bit but right but hasnt really settled is Cavani, the other obviously doesnt need a comment being Greenwood....With six signings and a couple of youngsters more involved in the squad, we would have about 25 which is a better number to work from for me, more harmonious too.

Lets be honest though, despite performances, consistency or attitude......there are some talented players for sure amongst the outgoings and experienced too, so it is paramount we make the RIGHT profile signings wise....get this right and think we can challenge,get it wrong could actually regress further....its a huge summer for mein terms of the manager and transfer movement for the club and how it performs for the nexct 4/5years

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@jesperjaap

Grant - free
Jones - I hope that he gets a decent club where he can play as much as his body allows him because he’s a solid player with a good attitude
Dalot - playing so I think they will keep
Bailly - sell
Williams - sell
Tuanzabe - sell
Mata - release
Pogba - out of contract
VDB - I think we will keep if we get ETH
Lingard, - out of contract
Pereira - sell
Fred - we will keep
Matic, - we might keep another year for experience
Martial - recall. Need you next season after all
Chong - loan or sell

I’d add that Henderson will probably want out and maybe even Ronaldo. Cavani will be gone too

need possibly a backup keeper,
A CB
2 CM
A forward

thats the bare minimum for me. I havent listed RB because I’d like Laird to get.
a season loan IN should also be considered for any gaps

croadyman

@jesperjaap

Grant - free
Jones - I hope that he gets a decent club where he can play as much as his body allows him because he’s a solid player with a good attitude
Bailly - sell
Williams - sell
Tuanzabe - sell
Mata - release
Pogba - out of contract
Pereira - sell
Fred - we will keep
Chong - loan or sell

I’d add that Henderson will probably want out and maybe even Ronaldo. Cavani will be gone too

A CB
2 CM
A forward

thats the bare minimum for me. I havent listed RB because I’d like Laird to get.
Yeah IF Laird can make the step up then would maybe only need to sign 4 in the summer (CB,DM,CM & ST)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With the plethora of likely outgoings, we are going to need to integrate a few kids full time next season and probably bring in 4 starting level players.

We could feasibly lose, for one reason or another:

Henderson
Jones
Bailly
Dalot
Matic
Van De Beek
Pogba
Mata
Lingard
Martial
Greenwood
Cavani
Ronaldo

Some of those will stay, but it may not be as simple as we think. We’ve probably got little good will with the likes of Martial, who forced a Jan exit in order to play games, which would suggest he’d have little interest in returning to resume his role as a substitute. Bailly may make a similar decision.

Many of those leaving will not bring in a fee, but they will clear significant wages from our books.

I think we can raise funds from selling:

Henderson £20m-£30m
Van de Beek £20m-£30m
Martial £20m-£30m
Tuanzebe £10m-£15m
Pereira £8m
Williams £10m-£15m

Dalot can probably attract permanent bids now instead of just loans, and Bailly also has a value. All that could cover Rice.

I’d like to see Laird, Hannibal, Elanga and possibly Garner in the squad next season. Then bring in two midfielders and a striker. We may need Amad back in the squad too, as Sancho is the only RW option at present, pending Greenwood. We can do it.

Rice
De Jong/Other
Striker
Laird
Garner
Amad
Hannibal

can be the reinforcements to the squad. Half of those leaving barely player anyway. Of the meaningful departures, Pogba will be replaced by De Jong/Other, a top striker to replace Ronaldo/Cavani/Martial (one of them needs to ideally stay) and the rest are all squaddies who barely kick a ball anyway and can be replaced by our kids.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

@jesperjaap

Grant - free
Bailly - sell
Williams - sell
Tuanzabe - sell
Mata - release
Pogba - out of contract
Pereira - sell
Fred - we will keep
Chong - loan or sell

A CB
2 CM
A forward

Well right backs an interesting one as I was happy with our options a couple of years ago. Ive been a fan of Bissaka but this season was pivotal for me and he has actually regressed. Williams looked promising and it was false. Laird I would like to see, but he seems to get injuries at the wrong time....but Dalot for me, though I think you are right about us keeping, should defeinately be sold. I think he is no better going forward than any of the other options includign Bissaka and he cant defend either, think he is really poor aprt from simple passes and movement.

As for central midfield, all those names going, does one signing there solve the problems on top of basically Matic and McFred AGAIN for a season..as no reason VDB stays..still dont see any of them as an ideal partner for anybody we sign and an injury or two and we are bare there.

Even up front, tae out Greenwood and Cavani and we only have Ronaldo yet anothe ryear older with a pssible forward signing...and Rashford/Sancho + youngsters out wide.

The one I really disagree with is the martial recall though. He is of course talented, but he has been here for what five seasons now for a lot of money and what has he actually done for us, let alone the apparent attitude.

I think making the squad smaller and getting rid od a lot of players for various reasons is very important.....but a loan to fill the gaps I really dont understand personally. I think there are 3/4 quality players in France we could get for £50-75m...pretty much similar fees to the players you mention selling. Add VDB/Martial and the wages we have offloaded, still enough money for a big signing.

I dont want the usual rubbish about stages of rebuilding. We can have a major window this summer that can clear out a lot of players, get 4-6 players in.....all for a pretty small net spend, its vital for me we get rid of a lot of players and get players for the right positions this summer, all of them that need filling, and right players....something we have failed to do on both fronts with so many purchases and that even includes thes supposed at the time great transfer window....doesnt matter if you sign a world class centre back, striker and great wide player if your midfield is dreadful....we already had good player sin /3 of those positions

Crick

Really like Djed Spence the RB, not the type of signing we'd make though.
Has looked really good in the matches I've seen keeping an eye on Garner. He's having a really good season. Should be cheap, lots of potential; similar to Cash before he moved to Villa but his crossing isn't as good as Cash. Could be a signing like Dan James but we usually wait for one more club move and sign them for 5 times as much.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rice & Raphinha are to me should be the priority since we need a DM and we need a new wide player after losing Lingard, Greenwood, and Mata.

And then next try so solve the Pogba's situation either give him a new contract or sign a new CM.

And then sign full backs depend on how our full backs perform to end of this season, we might need 2 new full backs or just 1. I like what Dalot has shown so far but still not totally convinced since he hasn't produce enough in the final third.

red4ever 79

@jesperjaap

Grant - free
Bailly - sell
Williams - sell
Tuanzabe - sell
Mata - release
Pogba - out of contract
Pereira - sell
Fred - we will keep
Chong - loan or sell

A CB
2 CM
A forward

Cavani is also out of contract and leaving this summer. You missed him

How the hell are we supposed to plan a recruitment overhaul when we dont have a manager in place? Oh ye I forgot Murtough, Fletcher and Arnold are planning it. Rinse, repeat same mistakes. Until we stop the board interfering we will not improve.

L1nk

People are so deluded in this thread, claiming we need 4 odd players minumum after the Greenwood situation (which we do) and then suggesting Declan Rice should be one of those players. People don’t learn, you want us to spunk over 100mill on a single player we don't even know will do well for us then expect to plug all the other holes in the squad knowing who our owners are? How about we instead go for a cheaper alternative and then use the rest of the money to fix the damn squad, this is basically Maguire and AWB all over again, you’re basically our scouting department by the sounds of it