What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

fallengt

From yesterday starting lineup (minus Ronaldo).
We need to replace: Mctominay, Dalot, Ronaldo, Rashford, Fred, Maguire, DDG. In that order.
Potentially: Shaw, Bruno if they can't regain form.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s best to assume we need to replace everyone and if we sign anyone they’ll need replacing too.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
This year :

Right back
2 center midfield
1 winger

-----------------------------------------De Gea-----------------------------------------
Dumfries---------------Varane--------------Martinez-------------Malacia
------------------------------De Jong----------Laimer/Rabiot------------------
Sancho------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------Rashford
----------------------------------------Ronaldo------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Martial------------------------------------------
Elanga/Garnacho-------------Eriksen/VDB-------------------------Ziech
-----------------------------------------Mc Fred-----------------------------------------
Shaw----------------------Lindelof----------Maguire--------------------Dalot
------------------------------------------Heaton------------------------------------------

Still need to offload Bailly, Jones, Wan Bissaka, Williams and loan Hannibal, Pellistri, Amad and Garner.

Next year :

New GK
New striker

--------

spe88

This year :

Right back
2 center midfield
1 winger

-----------------------------------------De Gea-----------------------------------------
Dumfries---------------Varane--------------Martinez-------------Malacia
------------------------------De Jong----------Laimer/Rabiot------------------
Sancho------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------Rashford
----------------------------------------Ronaldo------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Martial------------------------------------------
Elanga/Garnacho-------------Eriksen/VDB-------------------------Ziech
-----------------------------------------Mc Fred-----------------------------------------
Shaw----------------------Lindelof----------Maguire--------------------Dalot
------------------------------------------Heaton------------------------------------------

Still need to offload Bailly, Jones, Wan Bissaka, Williams and loan Hannibal, Pellistri, Amad and Garner.

Next year :

New GK
New striker

--------
Rashford? Bloody hell

Mr.Plow

The list gets longer and longer.

To sit here and watch a squad thats even worse than the one that finished sixth last season is heartbreaking.
Very true. The current squad is so much worse than last year's, especially in terms of depth. We need to replace Greenwood, Cavani, Pogba, Lingard and Matrix.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
They let Palhinha go to Fulham for 20 million and he was their best player versus Liverpool. United always looking for big name players for commercial reasons only since they are too expensive and most of them are too old.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So for the last few weeks of the window, I think I'd end it relatively "ok" if we brought in Gakpo, Morata (provided Ronaldo leaves) and Rabiot. Obviously not ideal, but each would be smart signings that would address a need and suit Ten Hag and what we need IMO. Frenkie isn't happening if we're honest with ourselves, as great as it'd be.
We'd then have as our 2 11's:

Rashford Martial Sancho
Fred Rabiot Eriksen
Malacia Martinez Varane Dalot
De Gea

Gakpo Morata Elanga
Van de Beek Garner Bruno
Shaw Lindelof Maguire Wan Bissaka
Heaton
Get rid of the rest when it comes to senior players. Unfortunately no right winger to compete, but either way. We'd have bench options and a pretty balanced team I'd say.

JuriM

We will sign 3-4 players and some of you can't still shut up and whine for something very trivial. The media is literally desperate and can't understand who is our actual targets, so they are just throwing names to the wall and hoping that something sticks.

Highfather_24

So for the last few weeks of the window, I think I'd end it relatively "ok" if we brought in Gakpo, Morata (provided Ronaldo leaves) and Rabiot. Obviously not ideal, but each would be smart signings that would address a need and suit Ten Hag and what we need IMO. Frenkie isn't happening if we're honest with ourselves, as great as it'd be.

Rashford Martial Sancho
Fred Rabiot Eriksen
De Gea

Gakpo Morata Elanga
Van de Beek Garner Bruno
Heaton
Get rid of the rest when it comes to senior players. Unfortunately no right winger to compete, but either way. We'd have bench options and a pretty balanced team I'd say.
That right side of our second team is dreadful.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This transfer window is becoming dangerously underwhelming. Not only we did not manage to increase the team's overall quality, the players we hired are still not finished products, clearly. Let's hope we can get some real gems that can offer immediate input to the team, because that's what we urgently need.
I'm setting this season expectations very low looking at our squad engineering so far.

ChorltonReds

I understand the wish to have something different up front, so wonder why there's seemingly no interest in Belotti. Proven scorer, definitely different to what we have, hard worker etc. and on a free. Probably reasonable wages too. He's been linked with Roma, but hasn't actually signed for them.

We could definitely take him from under Roma's nose.

croadyman

Forget about signing players the only transfer I want anymore is GLAZERS OUT, anything else makes absolutely no difference long term

aeh1991

Just saw that FC Bruge got a €15m bid for Sander Berge, who would prefer to play in the CL instead of Championship, rejected. Would make too much sense to get him to be realistic. A tall (1.95), press resistant, still young (24), PL experienced CDM. Instead we go after Rabiot.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Frenkie stays, they release Kessie, kessie joins United... Who's with me?

jesperjaap

A revolutionary thought but what we really need is for our existing players to improve their performances. Maguire, Rashford and Martial come first to mind but I also expect a lot more from Varane.

Need to bring in Frenkie. Do that and we've got a proper squad.
That would be akin for waiting for ANderson to come good after his first season here. How many years have Rashford and Martial been here? I totally disagree, for all the problems there is with this club, the biggest one is the players on the pitch. We have several average players at best, we have several seriously over rated players and we have few hungry and talented players with the right mentality.

Keep hearing pundits talk about the talent in our squad, it isnt just the big salaries that is stopping us from selling players for decent money, we couldnt sell Martial who is one of several examples. Take away signing from last season and this, who brings in a decent transfer? Rashford ,aybe who should without doubt have been sold in the summer for me while he still had value.

Take away form, how many of this side get into the top two?

Also, still fell what I thought two weeks into thewindow, DeJOng doesnt come, said then he moves but someone else comes in at the last minute, even named Chelsea and was slaughtered and still expect another big side to possibly swoop

jesperjaap

Shows just how crap this window has been, obviously bit of a dream, but go back 20pages and all the talk is the likes of Tchouameni, Nunez, DejOng, Gvardiol, Nkunku etc etc....Now what do we need has turned into people asking for the likes of Ziyech, Rabiot, Grillitch....desperation indeed, none of these players solve our problems or offer anything long term.

Gusto, Sulemana and Giouri are the three main ones we should go for and would love Caqueret but with the new contract signedd think he becomes expensive if even attainable. Struggling on central midfielders as so many have already moved but we should be after a defensive midfielder still. I personally would still like to see Hannibal and other youngsters gettign the opportunity if we cant land a playmaker as no Dejong isnt coming

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I still cannot get my head around how slow and shit we have been in the transfer market this year in particular. After waiting for FDJ like idiots for months, we hit the panic button on Monday and go for Arnautovic (wtf?) and Rabiot. Since then Arnautovic has thankfully been abandoned and Rabiot is pretty quiet. Meanwhile, every team who finished above us last year has added substantial quality and is still looking to improve. Rival fans are literally laughing at us and our utter incompetence. I really feel for ETH, he has absolutely no chance with this squad and these clowns working on transfers.

lex talionis

That would be akin for waiting for ANderson to come good after his first season here. How many years have Rashford and Martial been here? I totally disagree, for all the problems there is with this club, the biggest one is the players on the pitch. We have several average players at best, we have several seriously over rated players and we have few hungry and talented players with the right mentality.

Keep hearing pundits talk about the talent in our squad, it isnt just the big salaries that is stopping us from selling players for decent money, we couldnt sell Martial who is one of several examples. Take away signing from last season and this, who brings in a decent transfer? Rashford ,aybe who should without doubt have been sold in the summer for me while he still had value.

Take away form, how many of this side get into the top two?

Also, still fell what I thought two weeks into thewindow, DeJOng doesnt come, said then he moves but someone else comes in at the last minute, even named Chelsea and was slaughtered and still expect another big side to possibly swoop
You raise a reasonable doubt, which is whether any of our players who badly underperformed last season are lost causes...or can return to their previous top form. There's only one way to find out, which is to let them prove themselves.

We literally cannot replace entire squad or even replace all of last season's grotesque underperformers -- Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Fred, McTominay, Bruno, Rashford and Martial. All those 8 players will remain on the squad and even if we wanted to sell them, who among them could we sell? Maybe Maguire, Bruno and Rashford for 10m each but that would be about it. No chance we'll find a buyer for Fred or McTominay at any price and Martial's wages are such that we couldn't even give him away.

We are truly fecked.

But if there is any way to get these players back to even just 80% of their top form we've got some decent players. We need to be more than decent to crack the top four, but if we can get decent out of these players and bring in a proper central midfielder -- and at this point I'm counting on Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez as important contributors to the club -- we can compete for fourth place and the EL trophy. And that's all I expect out of this season -- an EL trophy and a top four finish in the PL.

Will de Jong be interested in a long-term project like this rather than being part of a squad that's built to win trophies now? I don't know.

NoPace

I guess right now I'd look at the club like this, with the players not part of long-term plans (Cristiano) excluded:

Striker: #9, Martial
LW: Garnacho, Rashford
RW: Sancho, Amad
#10: Bruno, Eriksen
#8: Fred, Eriksen
#6: DM, Garner
RB: RB, Dalot
LB: Shaw, Malacia
CB: Martinez, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof
GK: De Gea, (Henderson), ________

Ideally, you'd sell McTominay, probably Elanga while his value is as high as it's likely to get, and raise real money - along with anyone not on the list going for peanuts to save money on wages - and if a young CB or Zidane or Savage or Amad plays too much then who cares we're likely not making the CL anyways, and buy the 3 players in black this month and then next summer, sell Henderson, De Gea, Shaw, Maguire, Fred and replace them with Fernandez and new signings at GK (and a cheap backup on a free), CB, and a #8 is another 3 big signings for a squad like this next year:

Striker: #9, Martial
LW: Garnacho, Rashford
RW: Sancho, (whichever youngster wings the backup job)
#10: Bruno, Eriksen
#8: CM, Eriksen
#6: DM, Garner
RB: RB, Dalot
LB: Shaw, Malacia
CB: Martinez, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof
GK: GK1, GK2

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Rashford Martial Sancho
Fred Rabiot Eriksen
De Gea

Gakpo Morata Elanga
Van de Beek Garner Bruno
Heaton
That team will struggle to finish even in the top 7.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We need 1 world class player to begin building around.

Bruno used to be one, but he’s been mediocre for over a year, time to say this is his level until further notice.

We can still pay the sort of money you need to make that happen. We don’t need stars in every position, but we do need a few.

Red For Ever

Every Football Team should have a player that can play in every position, never makes an error, and knows exactly what the opposition is planning.

But so far, no one from the Caf has switched of his computer and come and offered his services to the club.

kirk buttercup

We need 1 world class player to begin building around.

Bruno used to be one, but he’s been mediocre for over a year, time to say this is his level until further notice.

We can still pay the sort of money you need to make that happen. We don’t need stars in every position, but we do need a few.
Ronaldo?
Varane?
Sancho ( at least he was touted as that when we bought him) ?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Ronaldo?
Varane?
Sancho ( at least he was touted as that when we bought him) ?
Were gonna build around Ronaldo? Gonna peak when he's 41?

I'll be happy if Varane and Sancho starting looking like Van Dijk and Mane. So far, not top class for us.

FerociousCorgis

Every Football Team should have a player that can play in every position, never makes an error, and knows exactly what the opposition is planning.

But so far, no one from the Caf has switched of his computer and come and offered his services to the club.
this is such a bad take. Comparing people wanting to get an actual midfield in vs watching mcfred feck it up weekly is hardly asking for perfection.

jesperjaap

You raise a reasonable doubt, which is whether any of our players who badly underperformed last season are lost causes...or can return to their previous top form. There's only one way to find out, which is to let them prove themselves.

We literally cannot replace entire squad or even replace all of last season's grotesque underperformers -- Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Fred, McTominay, Bruno, Rashford and Martial. All those 8 players will remain on the squad and even if we wanted to sell them, who among them could we sell? Maybe Maguire, Bruno and Rashford for 10m each but that would be about it. No chance we'll find a buyer for Fred or McTominay at any price and Martial's wages are such that we couldn't even give him away.

We are truly fecked.

But if there is any way to get these players back to even just 80% of their top form we've got some decent players. We need to be more than decent to crack the top four, but if we can get decent out of these players and bring in a proper central midfielder -- and at this point I'm counting on Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez as important contributors to the club -- we can compete for fourth place and the EL trophy. And that's all I expect out of this season -- an EL trophy and a top four finish in the PL.

Will de Jong be interested in a long-term project like this rather than being part of a squad that's built to win trophies now? I don't know.
This is what I personally dont understand with these type of comments. As players for our club, what is this supposed top form of the players. And we are talking about performances for our club, not country or elsewhere. Have any of these players performed for more than half a season to the quality expected of a Mancester United player?

DeGea, Shaw, Fernandes, Rashford and ROnaldo, I cant see beyond that for our club and two of them have been dreadful for a good 15-18months now and only real quality for half a season, one of them has been good for 1.5 seasons in total at best in what six seasons, the other is 37 and wants to go. How long should we give this players who have been setting all the wrong records for some time now to come good before enough is enough?