What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Roboc7

This is what I personally dont understand with these type of comments. As players for our club, what is this supposed top form of the players. And we are talking about performances for our club, not country or elsewhere. Have any of these players performed for more than half a season to the quality expected of a Mancester United player?

DeGea, Shaw, Fernandes, Rashford and ROnaldo, I cant see beyond that for our club and two of them have been dreadful for a good 15-18months now and only real quality for half a season, one of them has been good for 1.5 seasons in total at best in what six seasons, the other is 37 and wants to go. How long should we give this players who have been setting all the wrong records for some time now to come good before enough is enough?
I don’t know if there is anyone in the squad ETH inherited that I could see playing at the level required for multiple seasons. Someone like Shaw has done it once in about 8 years or however long he’s been here. Our biggest issue this season was always going to be ETH would be picking 8-9 of these guys week in week out, that will only end one way.

We desperately needed a good window and it’s been a disaster, we haven’t even addressed the 4-5 biggest priorities and by looks of it anyone we bring in now will be in panic.

lex talionis

This is what I personally dont understand with these type of comments. As players for our club, what is this supposed top form of the players. And we are talking about performances for our club, not country or elsewhere. Have any of these players performed for more than half a season to the quality expected of a Mancester United player?

DeGea, Shaw, Fernandes, Rashford and ROnaldo, I cant see beyond that for our club and two of them have been dreadful for a good 15-18months now and only real quality for half a season, one of them has been good for 1.5 seasons in total at best in what six seasons, the other is 37 and wants to go. How long should we give this players who have been setting all the wrong records for some time now to come good before enough is enough?
We can envision in our mind's eye how great Rashford and Maguire were two seasons ago, Sancho in his last with Dortmund, Shaw two seasons ago and Martial two seasons ago. Ronaldo was undeniably our best outfield player last season, although his form was down from his previous two seasons (and can be expected to decline even further as age ravages him). We can conclude that those players are dead and long gone, but we don't have the luxury of ditching all those players right now, do we?

jesperjaap

We can envision in our mind's eye how great Rashford and Maguire were two seasons ago, Sancho in his last with Dortmund, Shaw two seasons ago and Martial two seasons ago. Ronaldo was undeniably our best outfield player last season, although his form was down from his previous two seasons (and can be expected to decline even further as age ravages him). We can conclude that those players are dead and long gone, but we don't have the luxury of ditching all those players right now, do we?
Not this late in the window no....we are not even talkign abbou tthose players, we havent sold Henderson, Telles they are on loan, Chong is still here, Bailly, Jones, McFred etc etc

NOt we cant sell them all in one window....but we have only sold ONE player and not even got £10m for them, we should without a doubt have sold 5-7 players this summer. Its that xcrazy we have had so many players leave on a free but the number of players there is an argument to sell next summer could be even larger than it is now, not shifting barely a soul for a fee is madness

jesperjaap

I don’t know if there is anyone in the squad ETH inherited that I could see playing at the level required for multiple seasons. Someone like Shaw has done it once in about 8 years or however long he’s been here. Our biggest issue this season was always going to be ETH would be picking 8-9 of these guys week in week out, that will only end one way.

We desperately needed a good window and it’s been a disaster, we haven’t even addressed the 4-5 biggest priorities and by looks of it anyone we bring in now will be in panic.
Totally agree, no right back, no two new central midfielders they were both even more of a priority than a centre back and we ave msised out on loads, bought competition for left back and for Fernandes.....improvement on the squad but as of yet we have barely improved the first eleven that is still very large but a really weak first eleven.

Madness yet still see a lot of we cant shift anyone, so and so can come good if rediscovers form, so and so can fill in for a season. We cant fix all our problems in one window, we have not even fixed a single one

jesperjaap

The question was “disregarding current form”
Yes but his current form is only based over a season and a game. Of course he is a huge talent but so was Veron, so was DiMaria in Italy and SPain, no gurantees he does it here and based on his time here he doesnt start for either of those sides.

Not doubting he has the ability too, but lets not forget he is struggling to get in the ENgland team as well.

I think the point is, if we are mentioning just Sancho as the one player who is in contention for the top two sides, doesnt that say it all about this group of players, a hell of a lot of them are simply not good enough, some from performances, some never have been and several have been playing the majority of games for the biggest club in the country for several years, its simply wrong

Alemar

I think the point is, if we are mentioning just Sancho as the one player who is in contention for the top two sides, doesnt that say it all about this group of players, a hell of a lot of them are simply not good enough
Absolutely. I don’t think there are many who doubt that.

Sea-Cow

Every Football Team should have a player that can play in every position, never makes an error, and knows exactly what the opposition is planning.

But so far, no one from the Caf has switched of his computer and come and offered his services to the club.
Your condescending quip would work better if you spelled "off" correctly.

spe88

After seeing the standard we’re linked with, I’d rather keep our targets who have experience in the league.

RB - Aarons
CDM - Douglas Luiz
CM - Tielemens
RW- Ziyech (Loan)

I don’t think we need a striker this season unless Ronaldo is definitely off

::sonny::

Conte did it correctly. Banished all of them from the first team and told them to find new clubs. You leave or you don't play.

If only we'd take the same approach with our deadwood.
They signed Regullion recently and now he is out

At United works differently, he would be involved for the next 10 years I think

Zed 101

WOW I mean WOW, just Ed must be laughing his socks off just when your thought it was impossible for us to look more incompetent we go and raise the bar.

I was shouted down several times when I dared to suggest that Utd were repeating past mistakes spending all window trying to buy a player who was not motivated to be here...and whilst FDJ might still come we are now looking at Rabiot??? really a player who makes Pogba look committed and hard working.

Connor Cody goes to Everton, Kalvin Philips to City both for less than we will probably end up forking out for Rabiot, can somebody tell Utd that I have some magic beans for sale!

I guess ETH has had a look at our youngsters and has decided they are not quite good enough or ready, but seriously given the players we are now being linked with I would rather fail giving our youth their heads than through more money into a hole

Tallis

Conte did it correctly. Banished all of them from the first team and told them to find new clubs. You leave or you don't play.

If only we'd take the same approach with our deadwood.
It would be a success if they all leave. If they don’t, he has alienated players who won’t help him when/ if he needs them and their value will depreciate because they are not playing. Would be quite costly for the club.

On unrelated note, I think Reguilon and Lo Celso are decent players and will have interested clubs

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Another week goes by and nobody has been sold or signed... Nice. We're so fecking slow with everything. You know there will be a big scramble in the last week.

Bojan Djordjic

We should be all over Reguilon and Winks. Both would waltz into our starting 11. No one can convince me that Shaw is better than Reguilon, or McFred is better than Winks.
Jesus Christ, Old Trafford would be burned to the ground if they were our final two signings. You know we signed Malacia?

Chicharito_

We have to sign a RB/RWB so we can play 5 at the back.

Shaw Rwb?
Martinez Maguire Varane

That would be a very strong back 5 imo.

Sea-Cow

Jesus Christ, Old Trafford would be burned to the ground if they were our final two signings. You know we signed Malacia?
Yeah and I thought the general consensus was that we hope he can develop into something, but that he isn't ready to step into our starting 11 right away. Alternatively I think Reguilon could. I admit though that I've been a fan since the final against Sevilla when I thought he was great. I have no idea why he has fallen out with Conte.

And yeah people would be disappointed because its not FDJ, but surely they could console themselves knowing that at least Winks is an upgrade on McFred? And if they are getting pushed out the door then they could possibly be gotten for reasonable fees so it wouldn't bust the budget for buys in future windows.

Its pointless anyway as we aren't going to sign them. I just think those two could improve us right away.

aeh1991

Next to FDJ, we need a DM with physical presence (Sander Berge) and a RB (Max Aarons).
I don't really rate Aarons but he got potential and can't be worse than AWB or Dalot. Berge would be perfect with his qualities.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Next to FDJ, we need a DM with physical presence (Sander Berge) and a RB (Max Aarons).
I don't really rate Aarons but he got potential and can't be worse than AWB or Dalot. Berge would be perfect with his qualities.
Personally I see nothing about Sander Berge that suggests he would be good at this level. Perhaps squad but not as a starter.

goalkeeper - Kevin Trapp
Physically dominant CB - the Greek guy at stuttgart or how about Pieters?
DeJong or Nunes
Another CM - Rabiot?
CF
At least one wide player

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That Hatate at Celtic impressed me last season. I’d go for him

Chairman Steve

If we’re getting a second goalkeeper then go for the experienced option. Someone who can distribute decently, marshal the back four and isn’t glued to the line.

I think we can make use of the loan system with the goalkeeper situation.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We should be all over Reguilon and Winks. Both would waltz into our starting 11. No one can convince me that Shaw is better than Reguilon, or McFred is better than Winks.
Winks :lol:

Jev

Why are we not being linked with Tammy Abraham? With all the average strikers we're linked with, he would be a much more interesting option for me.