What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Lux Thunder

First, there are too many players that we are facing a major drop in quality when they are absent or we don't even have a decent enough backup who is natural in that position: Varane, Martinez, Dalot, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Antony.

We need to address those positions in the next few windows, with hope but very unlikely doing some of the business done in January:

CF - starting option who could lead a line, prefer Osimhen, but anyone solid and reliable forward available in January like Thuram would be upgrade to current options.

CM - starter/rotation option, a ball progressor who can pick a ball deep and progress through carrying the ball or dribbling, preferred choice: if FDJ is not available then go for Lobotka. There are also plenty of interesting young playmakers like Enzo Le Fee, Enzo Fernandez and Orkun Kökçü who are doing very well in their teams.

CB/RB - rotation option, put it together as I think Jurrien Timber is talented player who can cover both positions and is highly rated by ETH. Malo Gusto and Jeremie Frimpong are also interesting options for the RB spot with young center-back Antonio Silva and Evan N'Dicka also should be monitored closely.

GK - If we are thinking long-term with ETH we should be moving on from De Gea and signing Diogo Costa or Robert Sanchez. David Raya also could be an option.

DM - Ball winner who provides both covers to our center backs and solidity for the front five to press higher + also should be decent enough on the ball to progress play from the back. Manuel Ugarte from Sporting looks like a very interesting prospect for this position.

We desperately need to start spending money wisely, not every player should cost as £60+ m to be good enough for the United squad - it is a matter of signing players that fit the system rather than trying to fit talented players into the style.

Having been linked with both Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez before they moved to Europe makes me wonder how our scouting department is treated by those who are responsible for transfer policy, have felt like their reports are overlooked while both those players would be very good additions to this squad.

Anustart89

First, there are too many players that we are facing a major drop in quality when they are absent or we don't even have a decent enough backup who is natural in that position: Varane, Martinez, Dalot, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Antony.

We need to address those positions in the next few windows, with hope but very unlikely doing some of the business done in January:

CF - starting option who could lead a line, prefer Osimhen, but anyone solid and reliable forward available in January like Thuram would be upgrade to current options.

CM - starter/rotation option, a ball progressor who can pick a ball deep and progress through carrying the ball or dribbling, preferred choice: if FDJ is not available then go for Lobotka. There are also plenty of interesting young playmakers like Enzo Le Fee, Enzo Fernandez and Orkun Kökçü who are doing very well in their teams.

CB/RB - rotation option, put it together as I think Jurrien Timber is talented player who can cover both positions and is highly rated by ETH. Malo Gusto and Jeremie Frimpong are also interesting options for the RB spot with young center-back Antonio Silva and Evan N'Dicka also should be monitored closely.

GK - If we are thinking long-term with ETH we should be moving on from De Gea and signing Diogo Costa or Robert Sanchez. David Raya also could be an option.

DM - Ball winner who provides both covers to our center backs and solidity for the front five to press higher + also should be decent enough on the ball to progress play from the back. Manuel Ugarte from Sporting looks like a very interesting prospect for this position.

We desperately need to start spending money wisely, not every player should cost as £60+ m to be good enough for the United squad - it is a matter of signing players that fit the system rather than trying to fit talented players into the style.

Having been linked with both Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez before they moved to Europe makes me wonder how our scouting department is treated by those who are responsible for transfer policy, have felt like their reports are overlooked while both those players would be very good additions to this squad.
I agree with most of this, but I can't shake the feeling you're just @LuckyScout78 's articulate alter-ego where he goes to get actual input on his ideas and not just green smileys.

Lux Thunder

I agree with most of this, but I can't shake the feeling you're just @LuckyScout78 's articulate alter-ego where he goes to get actual input on his ideas and not just green smileys.
:lol::lol: As much as I admire his contribution to this place, I mostly skip on his posts as I find them very difficult to read and/or understand.

As for similar players mentioned but by other posters, that just shows that a level of understanding of a game and what ETH is trying to do is, despite some shocking exceptions, very high here.

Bojan Djordjic

This is who I want. Feel like he'd complement Casemiro brilliantly in midfield and allow Eriksen to provide cover for Bruno at number 10. Would probably allow us to recoup some money from DVB too as Eriksen is more of a like for like with Bruno than Van de Beek.

Enzo is a brilliant progressive passer, is secure in possession and in passing and great in build up which you'd have to think have been weaknesses in United's midfield. He's also a better defender than Eriksen too.

lex talionis

Short-term and long-term needs are two different topics. I'm going to focus on the short-term:

A center forward. End of, simple as.

LuckyScout78

This is who I want. Feel like he'd complement Casemiro brilliantly in midfield and allow Eriksen to provide cover for Bruno at number 10. Would probably allow us to recoup some money from DVB too as Eriksen is more of a like for like with Bruno than Van de Beek.

Enzo is a brilliant progressive passer, is secure in possession and in passing and great in build up which you'd have to think have been weaknesses in United's midfield. He's also a better defender than Eriksen too.

Enzo is complete as you can get. Both really good with and without the ball. How close and far he is from the top level of as a complete cm player is the question.

croadyman

Enzo is complete as you can get. Both really good with and without the ball. How close and far he is from the top level of as a complete cm player is the question.
Should take a chance on him

lex talionis

Got anyone in mind?
It’s a fair question, one has been asked many times here despite having Martial and he’s whose name shall not be spoken hoovering up 325k/week (due to missing out on the CL) on board.

Ronaldo’s head has been fekked ever since we missed out on the CL and the events of this week are what they are. I’d love to see Martial play like a man so that we could bring in an apprentice but it appears that’s not possible. We desperately need a CF in January but we may have to settle for a goal scoring wide forward instead and wait until June for…Harry Kane.

Harry is no pressing monster though. He scores for fun and his link up play is excellent. If anyone is aware of a 9 who has it all please let me know. Harry will cost us a fortune; but surely he will be looking to leave for another PL club. City is off the table. Without question he’s not going to Arsenal. Probably not Liverpool. Maybe Chelsea, but I just don’t see that happening either. It will have to be United.

But we do have a hole now.

croadyman

It’s a fair question, one has been asked many times here despite having Martial and he’s whose name shall not be spoken hoovering up 325k/week (due to missing out on the CL) on board.

Ronaldo’s head has been fekked ever since we missed out on the CL and the events of this week are what they are. I’d love to see Martial play like a man so that we could bring in an apprentice but it appears that’s not possible. We desperately need a CF in January but we may have to settle for a goal scoring wide forward instead and wait until June for…Harry Kane.

Harry is no pressing monster though. He scores for fun and his link up play is excellent. If anyone is aware of a 9 who has it all please let me know. Harry will cost us a fortune; but surely he will be looking to leave for another PL club. City is off the table. Without question he’s not going to Arsenal. Probably not Liverpool. Maybe Chelsea, but I just don’t see that happening either. It will have to be United.

But we do have a hole now.
Yeah I think a wide forward in January is looking like the best bet and all in for Kane next summer. I agree with you that Chelsea are our biggest threat for him having had interest before.

LuckyScout78

For the CF strenghtened. With Martial and Rashford as CF options. Theirs age.

I got the feeling. United need a "SUPER sub CF" A new Ole. Not a gap CF. But a really good CF that accept sitting on the bench. But still be positive. Like Ole. As positive, sharp and good as Ole as a CF.

No top player with high high ambitions will accept being a benchwarmer. They shall be disapointed if a manager and coach start them on the bench.

How Ole can stay so positive and start most of his United career on the bench. Was unbelievable. If i think i a good CF, but that getting start. Of course i will get frustrate and not happy.

United need a really good and sharp CF that will accept "A super sub role". Because i think ETH will not use 2 CFs. I think most of the time ETH will use only one CF upfront.

That is why i got this feeling. United need a new super sub Ole.

BorisManUtd

With Ronaldo now definitely gone, we surely need to get a striker as soon as January. We're fine on wings (Rashford, Garnacho on left and Antony + Sancho on right) but only have Martial as a striker (plus Rashford if needed, though he's not a natural striker obviously). Martial is also injury-prone so can't rely on him staying fit with most of the season still left to be played.

Messier1994

Good suggestions.

Another guy we also have been linked to (https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-tr...united-eye-leeds-usmnt-midfielder-tyler-adams) is Leeds’ Tyler Adams.

I would compare him a bit to Kanté. Nobody will be a carbon copy of Kanté, he is unique. But Tyler Adams’ pressing ability is really really good. He has. Great engine, really quick, very good in duels for the ball.

I love that we are looking at players with that compete level (like Caicedo) besides the ability to move the ball.

Messier1994

From the perspective of what we need to take that final step and becoming an elite team in Europe, what most other top teams have that we don’t have is that really elite wing back/fullback type that can dominate basically his half of the field.

Alphonso Davis in Bayern, has been so impressive in the WC, before that they had Alaba, Achraf Hakimi, Cities full backs, Theo Hernandez can be mentioned. Reece James at times just plays so well.

One thing these guys have in common is they often are recently converted wingers/midfielders. Bayern signed Davies as a winger, Alaba as a CM.

I definitely wouldn’t mind if we started planning ahead to find a guy who can fill that role down the role.

Last edited:

croadyman

From the perspective of what we need to take that final step and becoming an elite team in Europe, what most other top teams have that we don’t have is that really elite wing back/fullback type that can dominate basically his half of the field.

Alphonso Davis in Bayern, has been so impressive in the WC, before that they had Alaba, Achraf Hakimi, Cities full backs, Theo Hernandez can be mentioned. Reece James at times just plays so well.

One thing these guys have in common is they often are recently converted wingers/midfielders. Bayern signed Davies as a winger, Alaba as a CM.

I definitely wouldn’t mind if we started planning ahead to find a guy who can fill that role down the role.
Yeah we definitely lack that type of full back,however a forward ideally two (wide one and number 9) is absolutely essential

X