What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

croadyman

RB - replace AWB hopefully in the summer and not January

CM - Progressive 8 which fortunately we now have a few names to juggle between

ST - Will probably be Kane. Even though I wanted someone younger. I think we have to attempt to go for the Prem next season and he will be onboard for his career goals to meaning anything.

CB - To replace Maguire who I can’t see staying on the bench. Varane profile would be great. Hopefully Tomori and not Timber.

AM can be looked at the season after.
So I would go for (new owners permitting)

RB - Gusto/Vanderson

CM - De Jong

ST - Kane/Osimhen

CB - Min-Jae/N'dicka

AM - Felix (if he comes in on loan and makes successful impact)

NoPace

Who can we poach from relegation teams?

Neves? Ward-Prowse?
Neves is more of a counter-attacking player I think. Ward-Prowse struggles to pass short and move and is weak and slow.

Livramento as our new backup RB if he can pass a medical nicely. Would have said Salisu as LCB cover but Shaw looks great there. Lavia is intriguing but too pricy.

Collins from Wolves maybe but probably not under Ten Hag. Faes still has errors in him but the potential is there.

Tyler Adams as RB/#6 cover is a thought, he’s bit a great passer but he can follow a system and our midfield wouldn’t get embarrassed when Casemiro was hurt, and he’d give us a player suited to the tucked in RB in midfield Pep role since he’s played mostly as a 6 but also at times at RB as he can really run for a 6. Roca would be a passable backup passing 8 but we’re not that poor.

So nah, I don’t see one really apart from if Livramento is all healed and plays well before the season ends.

Thought the truth is there’s probably a young player in there we could use but I just can’t see be quality in yet, or they play a position we won’t buy (Hugo Bueno or Edozie). But an injury or weird Cristiano style disaster could see us loan in someone who gets relegated like we’re doing with Weghorst from Burnley now.

I think for us it’s more likely we buy one prem CB or RB from the mid-table, like Joachim Andersen or one of Mitrovic or Toney goes on strike to join us.

NoPace

Unpopular opinion, but I think Matty Cash would be a good option for RB depending on how much Villa would want. There's potential in that guy.
I agree and Emery benched him so maybe. He’s similar to Dalot in being aggressive and fast in a straight line. If his running was harnessed right he could be really useful, though he’s a touch line RB so probably not versatile enough. But his ball carrying was the only thing giving Lewandowski enough support to keep him from self harming during Poland’s games and he does the same for Villa. Be a decent fit at Arsenal since they don’t have an attacking RB to run outside of Saka. Here, I think he’d fit well with Amad but maybe not with Antony, though Antony has been in the half space more the 2-3 games.

NoPace

Need:
* A top class CF

Should have:
* CM to rotate with Eriksen
* Backup CB
* Backup RB(if AWB leaves)

That's honestly it. We just lack a clinical finisher up front and more squad depth.

And then sell Maguire, AWB, Martial and McTominay or Van de Beek. Send Elanga out on loan and maybe bring Amad back.
If Ten Hag gets only a small budget, I could
see him saving money by the backup RB and CB being one guy and Alvaro and I guess Laird just rejoining the squad. Let’s say it’s Timber to make the height fans mad, but even I would probably look for a 6 footer.

LB: Shaw-Malacia-Alvaro
LCB: Lisandro-Shaw-Lindelof
RCB: Varane-Timber-Lindelof
RB: Dalot-Timber-Laird

So 7 guys for 4 spots, plus youngsters, maybe you add a giant CB on the cheap to replace Maguire as a designated header of the ball in the last 20 minutes of games. Tosin comes to mind but he’s probably cost too much for that role.

Kalulu is another guy who can play CB and RB. Pavard too.

Or just buy a proper RB and CB prospect along with the CM, since there’s no top striker to buy and we’ll end up only spending 40M on someone Ten Hag likes or something insane like missing out on Kane after a saga and we buy Weghorst off the back of a good 4 months and look to flip him in 2024, or a somewhat pricey loan with expensive option to buy on a top prospect like Sesko.

UpWithRivers

Really top striker - Kane
Really top midfielder - One of Enzo Fernandes, Bellingham. De Jong
Thats the priority.

Sell Maguire 40m, Elanga 15 mill, Fred 25m, Henderson 15m, Bailly 15m, Brandon 10m, Telles 15m, DVB 20m, Martial - 25m - Total - 100-150m depending on how close my transfer fee guesses are.

Replace sales with free transfers - CB - N'dika, Skriniar etc / Midfield - Tielemans, Tomas Lemar, Laimer etc / Strikers Moukoko

Nice to have depending on cash - Florian Wirtz as back up/challenger to Bruno. The kid is special.

croadyman

Thats the priority.

Sell Maguire 40m, Elanga 15 mill, Fred 25m, Henderson 15m, Bailly 15m, Brandon 10m, Telles 15m, DVB 20m, Martial - 25m - Total - 100-150m depending on how close my transfer fee guesses are.

Replace sales with free transfers - CB - N'dika, Skriniar etc / Midfield - Tielemans, Tomas Lemar, Laimer etc / Strikers Moukoko

Nice to have depending on cash - Florian Wirtz as back up/challenger to Bruno. The kid is special.
Yeah think you will definitely have to adjust some of those fees but agree with a top Striker and top CM being the priority this summer

Erik the Red

Thats the priority.

Agree with all these names (not sure about fees), with one exception, I would go for Musiala over Wirtz. (I think there are probably a couple more who should be sold).

croadyman

Agree with all these names (not sure about fees), with one exception, I would go for Musiala over Wirtz. (I think there are probably a couple more who should be sold).
Think it would be tough to get Musiala out of Bayern at this early stage of his career

Erik the Red

Think it would be tough to get Musiala out of Bayern at this early stage of his career
Agree, but ironically, there are rumours that Bayern are after Florian Wirtz, so you wonder if they are planning for life after Musiala??? More likely he is a Muller replacement, but one can only dream....

They also have Mane, Sane and Coman, but no number 9 besides Choupo Moting.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Saw that Wolves are linked to PSG's Pablo Sarabia, don't know if its a loan or a transfer. He was on loan last season to Sporting.

If he is available on loan, he is a player I would love to be able to snatch up in January as a replacement for Donny -- back-up to Bruno/Antony. 30 y/o. Isn't starting for PSG. It is really hard to find capable AMCs on loan, strikers tend to move around more. A more defined position. The solid AMCs tend to be super settled in at one place or no good at all. Sarabia is experienced, smart, and just a quality team player. Has played two caps for Spain this season.

Recon Lopetigue has the inside track on him given their time together at Sevilla, but you never know.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who can we poach from relegation teams?

Neves? Ward-Prowse?
I think forest and Bournemouth will surely go down, and then one of Everton, Southampton or wolves... But of those. I'd say nobody from forest/Bournemouth/Everton. Maybe DCL as a bench striker.

Wolves I'd take Nunes for sure to be the partner to Casemiro, though Liverpool seems favourites there. Pedro Neto too, though he's always injured. But could grab him as the 2nd RW to compete with Antony.

Southampton, Walker-Peters to compete with Dalot and replace AWB. Livramento looked good but big injury that he has to recover from, but wouldn't mind him either. Possibly Bella Kotchap to replace Maguire and Lindelof and be the Varane cover as a young big potential guy. I'd take JWP and Lavia to replace McTominay and Fred (contract, age for Fred, lack of quality for McTominay, Lavia is young and big potential DM).

8 players from the bottom 5 teams who would be very good signings IMO. Don't rate Neves and he's too limited for a big club IMO (and would have a big cost).

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think forest and Bournemouth will surely go down, and then one of Everton, Southampton or wolves... But of those. I'd say nobody from forest/Bournemouth/Everton. Maybe DCL as a bench striker.

Wolves I'd take Nunes for sure to be the partner to Casemiro, though Liverpool seems favourites there. Pedro Neto too, though he's always injured. But could grab him as the 2nd RW to compete with Antony.

Southampton, Walker-Peters to compete with Dalot and replace AWB. Livramento looked good but big injury that he has to recover from, but wouldn't mind him either. Possibly Bella Kotchap to replace Maguire and Lindelof and be the Varane cover as a young big potential guy. I'd take JWP and Lavia to replace McTominay and Fred (contract, age for Fred, lack of quality for McTominay, Lavia is young and big potential DM).

8 players from the bottom 5 teams who would be very good signings IMO. Don't rate Neves and he's too limited for a big club IMO (and would have a big cost).
Like this!

Bojan Djordjic

Saw that Wolves are linked to PSG's Pablo Sarabia, don't know if its a loan or a transfer. He was on loan last season to Sporting.

If he is available on loan, he is a player I would love to be able to snatch up in January as a replacement for Donny -- back-up to Bruno/Antony. 30 y/o. Isn't starting for PSG. It is really hard to find capable AMCs on loan, strikers tend to move around more. A more defined position. The solid AMCs tend to be super settled in at one place or no good at all. Sarabia is experienced, smart, and just a quality team player. Has played two caps for Spain this season.

Recon Lopetigue has the inside track on him given their time together at Sevilla, but you never know.
Think it'd be more sensible to buy a first choice midfielder. Eriksen could then provide cover for that person and Bruno until Amad returns to the club when we can assess if he has a long-term possibility to play that role at United's level.

Bojan Djordjic

From Forest, I'd also take Taiwo Awoniyo if there was a cut-price deal available to be a back up striker. And, Irish bias aside, I would also be interested in Gavin Bazunu even though he's had a ropey season, he's been sensational for Ireland and is very good at all the things DDG is bad at. His shot stopping has been bad this season but I think he's far better than he's shown for Southampton. As mentioned he's made some excellent saves for Ireland and previously at Portsmouth and has probably been Ireland's best player for the last year or so. Highly unlikely we'd get him with City having first refusal though.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Think it'd be more sensible to buy a first choice midfielder. Eriksen could then provide cover for that person and Bruno until Amad returns to the club when we can assess if he has a long-term possibility to play that role at United's level.
Good point!

Man-United

Another striker would be ideal, Martial is always injured so Wout need someone else, otherwise we end up with Elanga or Bruno up top.

Bas Dost would do for 6 months in a similar deal as Wout.

Bojan Djordjic

Another striker would be ideal, Martial is always injured so Wout need someone else, otherwise we end up with Elanga or Bruno up top.

I'm sure Niall Quinn and Peter Crouch are available too. Maybe Jan Koller or Carsten Jancker could be persuaded.

croadyman

What about deadline day deal for different sort of striker say like a Depay but maybe not him

Man-United

I'm sure Niall Quinn and Peter Crouch are available too. Maybe Jan Koller or Carsten Jancker could be persuaded.
The thing with Dost is that while at Sporting, he and Bruno had great understanding and friendship, it would be just as good signing as Wout. I personally would have gone for Dost.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We have no need for any new wingers which is an absolute state of ecstasy knowing our previous woes in that department.

We should wait till the end of the season to make any sound judgments and more importantly to see how the form of some holds in a larger time span ( is rashy having a purple patch or is it permanent for example ) but giving a preliminary prescription it would be this:

In order of importance

Striker

The most obvious one and t gaping hole that stares at us every time we get the line up , the semi realistic ideal option is obvious kane is ready for success and prem experienced and potentially available this summer.

On the other hand if we want to bank on the future and play the long game we could go for the lad named sesko but I'm not sure if he's getteble at all seeing how he's just about go to Leipzig when his his contract starts.

Oisheman is another name we see a lot and he's a certifies workhorse which is always great to have but his technique leaves a lot to be desired.

CM
I'm a sucker for a good midfield combo and I feel we're just one signing away to finally complete the puzzle, the candidate are obvious again: de jong and Fernandez, both will cost a fortune but hopefully it will be money spent well.

RB
It all depends on how dalot performs in the coming months if he has taken the next step we would just need a back up but if not we would need a permanent first team option.

Back up CB
Having a backup to varane is an absolute must seeing how likely harry is to leave this summer and were one injury away from dissaster, a young and cheap option will do but it's pretty high on the priority list.

GK
depends on de gea and Eric but whether happens it's a lower priority than the others above.

croadyman

We have no need for any new wingers which is an absolute state of ecstasy knowing our previous woes in that department.

We should wait till the end of the season to make any sound judgments and more importantly to see how the form of some holds in a larger time span ( is rashy having a purple patch or is it permanent for example ) but giving a preliminary prescription it would be this:

In order of importance

Striker

The most obvious one and t gaping hole that stares at us every time we get the line up , the semi realistic ideal option is obvious kane is ready for success and prem experienced and potentially available this summer.

On the other hand if we want to bank on the future and play the long game we could go for the lad named sesko but I'm not sure if he's getteble at all seeing how he's just about go to Leipzig when his his contract starts.

Oisheman is another name we see a lot and he's a certifies workhorse which is always great to have but his technique leaves a lot to be desired.

CM
I'm a sucker for a good midfield combo and I feel we're just one signing away to finally complete the puzzle, the candidate are obvious again: de jong and Fernandez, both will cost a fortune but hopefully it will be money spent well.

RB
It all depends on how dalot performs in the coming months if he has taken the next step we would just need a back up but if not we would need a permanent first team option.

Back up CB
Having a backup to varane is an absolute must seeing how likely harry is to leave this summer and were one injury away from dissaster, a young and cheap option will do but it's pretty high on the priority list.

GK
depends on de gea and Eric but whether happens it's a lower priority than the others above.
Kane still top ST target despite people on here saying he's too old for big money

De Jong and Casemiro is dream partnership but has he guts to leave Barca

N'dicka for CB because he's free agent

Maybe Gusto if we are looking for a starter RB,not sure of names if we just want cover

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

In order of importance

Striker

CM

RB

Back up CB

GK
I agree with you on the areas that require strengthening. I’d say we need two new strikers in the summer. Martial is simply unreliable not just in terms of form but staying fit.

croadyman

I agree with you on the areas that require strengthening. I’d say we need two new strikers in the summer. Martial is simply unreliable not just in terms of form but staying fit.
Think there is possibility of us making Wout permanent if it works out,otherwise IF Chelsea don't sign him this window then see us picking Thuram up as free agent.

bosskeano

i think United should sign Tyler Adams in the summer and play him next to Casemiro...you'd have two very good ball winners and guys who are good with the ball

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Looking at our position right now, Martial injured again. Dalot injured. Donny out for the season.

We need — more — debt in January. I would like to see two more versatile player. Preferably one that can play as a AMC that can will in as a RW and striker/F9 and someone that can play as a DMC

I know many are allergic to Weghorst type of player. Many other will come in and say, we should sign Bellingham instead of loaning this or that player. But facts are that we don’t have any money.

What options are out there to loan
(a) An offensive midfielder?
(b) A defensive midfielder?

We can’t loan more players from England, so someone like Coutinho isn’t an option.

As an offensive midfielder, I really like Pablo Sarabia from PSG. He has played for the Spanish national team a couple of times this season. Good, smart, versatile player. Fits our style of play well. Left footed. Can play AMC, RW and as a F9.

Wolves are looking for an AMC and have been linked to quite many players. Isco — who have been released by Sevilla 3 weeks ago — is available. Bend linked to Arsenal, Juventus, Lazio, Marseille and a bunch of others. But I think he is a bit in the buyers beware category. What is his form? Is he really a Premier League player? Don’t immediately see it…

But can’t recall seeing him lately. Anyone know what type of form he is in? At the same time — we do have Casemiro and Varane here. ETH will trust them immensely, if they recommend Isco I wouldn’t mind him. ETH would surely have concerns over Isco’s work rate. If Casemiro say that he would make it work, I wouldn’t mind. Have never been a big fan of him, but the last 9 years he have mostly played 25-30 games a year for Real and won a bunch of Champions Leagues and other titles. He is a bit underrated as a striker. A loan fits better than a free agent, unless Isco would be willing to take a 6 month contract.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Two DMC’s who aren’t playing much — and around which there are swirling some rumors — are Frenkie Kessie and Marcelo Brozocovic, having started just 13% and 40% of their teams league games this year. But I recon they could be hard to get, both Inter and Barca are still playing in Europe.

Bojan Djordjic

In the summer I would like to see Victor Osimhen (ST), Enzo le Fée (8), Kyle walker peters (RB) and David Raya. Arda Guler might also be available for €5mn so would bite that off too at that price.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think Southampton will get relegated, I will keep an eye on cheap CB option Bella-Kotchap. May be only cost 20m max or 15m plus 5m adds on if Southampton are going down.

croadyman

I think Southampton will get relegated, I will keep an eye on cheap CB option Bella-Kotchap. May be only cost 20m max or 15m plus 5m adds on if Southampton are going down.
Yeah I would also take JWP too because of his superb set piece delivery. I think the chance to break Becks free kick record playing for Utd would really appeal to him.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Thats the priority.

Maguire turns 30 in 2 months. No one is signing him for 40m.

NoPace

Napoli would want a huge fee for Lobotka, and he's 28 so little resale value and currently playing as a #6, but he's not big or lockdown defensively, so for us he'd be the #8 rotating with Eriksen, and he's really very good whenever I see them. I'd add him to the list with De Jong, Bellingham, Enzo, Mac Allister of players good enough to rotate with Eriksen (who can get games spelling Bruno too of course) that we should be looking at. Probably doesn't want to move, though.

NoPace

Two DMC’s who aren’t playing much — and around which there are swirling some rumors — are Frenkie Kessie and Marcelo Brozocovic, having started just 13% and 40% of their teams league games this year. But I recon they could be hard to get, both Inter and Barca are still playing in Europe.
Kessie is the one you could see coming to backup Casemiro, but he'd probably rather go to a slightly worse team and be first choice, or at least somewhere the starter in his position gets injured more (Partey at Arsenal, Fabinho at Liverpool) than Casemiro does. Or back to Italy, Juve or even Milan with his tail between his legs.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Kessie is the one you could see coming to backup Casemiro, but he'd probably rather go to a slightly worse team and be first choice, or at least somewhere the starter in his position gets injured more (Partey at Arsenal, Fabinho at Liverpool) than Casemiro does. Or back to Italy, Juve or even Milan with his tail between his legs.
Yeah, either of those guys are probably hard to get.

But we could really use another couple of players.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Give me Mac Allister for the Eriksen role.
I really hope we go after players in January though.

This is Chelsea’s injury list:

We haven’t even gotten into the hard parts of the season yet. Bruno don’t get injured, but he can’t play weekend/mid-week months after months for the rest of the season. Martial is having issues. Rashford will certainly miss some time with a knock or muscle injury. Dalot is injured again. It just seems very likely that we for stretched will have 4-5 players injured AND a need to rotate the team. Losing Donny hurts, but we were in a rough state before that.

If we don’t have options, we will over-play the players we do have. End up getting more injuries. Getting worse performances.

From my point of view, it’s of course tremendously important that we get the right player type who is physically fit. But it is not a requirement that the player is clearly at the level of a top PL team. Look at Brighton, they are playing the pants off Liverpool. They lose half their team, buy average players, but just keeps going. That kid Ferguson on top. Welbeck is looking like MBappe. There is of course a scale that could tip over after which Brighton will lose their game.

My point is just, as long as you have the team game in place, and can plug in players who are in the same mold as the guy they are replacing — you don’t have to get a big drop-off in play. The risk over overplaying a team and getting a ton of injuries is much worse.

But what options are there out there at midfield for January??

bucky

But what options are there out there at midfield for January??
I'd probably want us to give André from Fluminense a shot. Good workrate, good passing, excellent dribbler, young and shouldn't be that expensive.

AneRu

I'd probably want us to give André from Fluminense a shot. Good workrate, good passing, excellent dribbler, young and shouldn't be that expensive.
Yeah with proper owners it shouldn't be difficult to do a deal because £20m would be huge for such a club but with our owners they miss the wood for the trees. Push the boat out and give the manager more depth for the tough run ahead, whats and extra 20m on the pile of debt they have built up?

SirAnderson

I'd prefer we go for not well known players, rather than big names. We can build something with players that are hungry to make a name for themselves rather than trying to use their name to make Man United great again.