What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

avgp_1

I hope we can get someone to share the role of Eriksen. Don't know how much Enzo Le Fee would cost but he is a great shout

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Moises Caicedo. PL ready, 21 years old. Bought by Brighton for 5m, I guess we could get him for around 30 or something, no?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Next summer will be a big one, but we have a genuine chance of getting right up there with the top for next season if we play it well. Striker position will be key. Benzema on a free or Kane for probably something like 80m with a year left on his deal are both genuine options, and would be options that get us right up there. Enzo Fernandez would be a dream to partner Casemiro, and I really think he'd be more attainable than in January with Chelsea. Rui Costa did say that he wanted him to go to a better club... well... United is here. Then you have a lot of guys from Southampton/Everton/Wolves (whoever gets relegated) who could come in and have a good impact. Bella Kotchap to backup Varane, JWP or Lavia in midfield, Livramento or KWP at right back if Wan Bissaka wants to leave to be a starter somewhere (very comfortable if he stays anyway), Nunes and Pedro Neto from Wolves, DCL to be a bench striker.... Something like this in terms of turnover could be realistic:
  • Benzema to be CF
  • Enzo to partner Casemiro
  • Bella Kotchap to backup Varane/replace Maguire
  • KWP or Livramento to replace AWB if AWB leaves
  • DCL or Weghorst joining full time if he does well, Martials constant injuries and not being a starter past this season I could see him leaving in the summer. Otherwise would stay as backup CF.
  • Lavia to replace McTominay and be Casemiro backup
Would love Kane, but I don't think Kane and Enzo in the same window is realistic, so if we can get Benzema on a free then it would be great. But we really need to go big for either Benzema or Kane. Need that striker, and they need to be a technically talented one can offer the goals and the link up/hold up play. Go for the best around, and that'll bring us right back to the top.

jesperjaap

Neves is more of a counter-attacking player I think. Ward-Prowse struggles to pass short and move and is weak and slow.

Livramento as our new backup RB if he can pass a medical nicely. Would have said Salisu as LCB cover but Shaw looks great there. Lavia is intriguing but too pricy.

Collins from Wolves maybe but probably not under Ten Hag. Faes still has errors in him but the potential is there.

Tyler Adams as RB/#6 cover is a thought, he’s bit a great passer but he can follow a system and our midfield wouldn’t get embarrassed when Casemiro was hurt, and he’d give us a player suited to the tucked in RB in midfield Pep role since he’s played mostly as a 6 but also at times at RB as he can really run for a 6. Roca would be a passable backup passing 8 but we’re not that poor.

So nah, I don’t see one really apart from if Livramento is all healed and plays well before the season ends.

Thought the truth is there’s probably a young player in there we could use but I just can’t see be quality in yet, or they play a position we won’t buy (Hugo Bueno or Edozie). But an injury or weird Cristiano style disaster could see us loan in someone who gets relegated like we’re doing with Weghorst from Burnley now.

I think for us it’s more likely we buy one prem CB or RB from the mid-table, like Joachim Andersen or one of Mitrovic or Toney goes on strike to join us.
I'm interested to see how Livaramento does when he omes back. Was always impressed when saw him in youth games and despite Chelsea having Reece James and other right backs, was surprised they let him go. Huge potential but been out a long time

jesperjaap

Next summer will be a big one, but we have a genuine chance of getting right up there with the top for next season if we play it well. Striker position will be key. Benzema on a free or Kane for probably something like 80m with a year left on his deal are both genuine options, and would be options that get us right up there. Enzo Fernandez would be a dream to partner Casemiro, and I really think he'd be more attainable than in January with Chelsea. Rui Costa did say that he wanted him to go to a better club... well... United is here. Then you have a lot of guys from Southampton/Everton/Wolves (whoever gets relegated) who could come in and have a good impact. Bella Kotchap to backup Varane, JWP or Lavia in midfield, Livramento or KWP at right back if Wan Bissaka wants to leave to be a starter somewhere (very comfortable if he stays anyway), Nunes and Pedro Neto from Wolves, DCL to be a bench striker.... Something like this in terms of turnover could be realistic:
  • Benzema to be CF
  • DCL or Weghorst joining full time if he does well, Martials constant injuries and not being a starter past this season I could see him leaving in the summer. Otherwise would stay as backup CF.
Would love Kane, but I don't think Kane and Enzo in the same window is realistic, so if we can get Benzema on a free then it would be great. But we really need to go big for either Benzema or Kane. Need that striker, and they need to be a technically talented one can offer the goals and the link up/hold up play. Go for the best around, and that'll bring us right back to the top.
As good as Benzema is, is he not another short term fix? I think he is having an Indian Summer. Kane also is touching 30 and not sure we get more than a couple of top seasons out of him tbh, striker is a hard one as at the moment I dont think there is the perfect answer though Vlahovic and Osimhen both look like proper strikers around the right age.

I do think we NEED a top striker though and also a central midfielder. I like Eriksen, he is a good footballer, but personally despite his technique I always feel he has been a tad over rated. His is doing ok here but isnt gettting younger and I still prefer him higher up where Fernandes plays rather than deeper. Enzo was the right signing for me long before the world cup and that is exactly the kind of player our midfield needs....but that price! We do have some really good players coming through like Hannibal and Mainoo that can play there, not sure either are ready yet though....but thats why I personally dont think we need a second midfield signing...I mean Enzo for example can be back up to Casemeiro with Eriksen playing deep again if needed.

Completely agree on someone liek Kotchap to replace Maguire.

Not judging on todays game but personally never been a fan of Dalot and have been Bissaka, maybe too late but I sitll think he is the better right back....but I agree on Livaramento and also think Gusto and Vanderson.....all three have huge potential as attacking right backs...again Bissaka is a more defensive right back and Dalot an attacking one, hence why I keep Bissaka....no doubt barely a soul agrees with me there.

Personally I would like to see DeGea stay, ma be lacking with his feet but I still feel bar 2seasons he has been a top keeper here only behind VDS and Schmeichel in my lifetime.....but Henderson goes, we should be looking for a young keeper than can genuinely challenge DeGea over the next season or so....as think his contract should only be a shorter one now

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As good as Benzema is, is he not another short term fix? I think he is having an Indian Summer. Kane also is touching 30 and not sure we get more than a couple of top seasons out of him tbh, striker is a hard one as at the moment I dont think there is the perfect answer though Vlahovic and Osimhen both look like proper strikers around the right age.

I do think we NEED a top striker though and also a central midfielder. I like Eriksen, he is a good footballer, but personally despite his technique I always feel he has been a tad over rated. His is doing ok here but isnt gettting younger and I still prefer him higher up where Fernandes plays rather than deeper. Enzo was the right signing for me long before the world cup and that is exactly the kind of player our midfield needs....but that price! We do have some really good players coming through like Hannibal and Mainoo that can play there, not sure either are ready yet though....but thats why I personally dont think we need a second midfield signing...I mean Enzo for example can be back up to Casemeiro with Eriksen playing deep again if needed.

Completely agree on someone liek Kotchap to replace Maguire.

Not judging on todays game but personally never been a fan of Dalot and have been Bissaka, maybe too late but I sitll think he is the better right back....but I agree on Livaramento and also think Gusto and Vanderson.....all three have huge potential as attacking right backs...again Bissaka is a more defensive right back and Dalot an attacking one, hence why I keep Bissaka....no doubt barely a soul agrees with me there.

Personally I would like to see DeGea stay, ma be lacking with his feet but I still feel bar 2seasons he has been a top keeper here only behind VDS and Schmeichel in my lifetime.....but Henderson goes, we should be looking for a young keeper than can genuinely challenge DeGea over the next season or so....as think his contract should only be a shorter one now
Of course it'd be a short term fix, but it'd be a signing that still gets us competing at the very top. Kane the way he plays has plenty of elite years in him IMO, could see him being excellent til his mid 30's. Vlahovic is wildly overrated and isn't good enough. Osimhen is class, but has had injury problems plus stylistically, is a poacher type, not going to mesh the best with Rashford who is at his best when he has someone to play off of that he can link with and run in behind. We lose a lot if we turn Rashford into a creator and have someone else be the run in behind guy. Kane/Benzema or someone like them compliments what we have much more.

Enzo would be perfect to partner Casemiro IMO, and getting both Enzo and Benzema would be doable with Benzema being on a free. Don't see the midfielder and striker coming any other way though.

Yeah strong disagree on Dalot, I think he's a very good right back and only improving, and is our set and forget RB. Wan Bissaka can be a very good squad player for him, but the 1st half of the season was weird for him so not sure if he is happy with a bit part role or if it's getting OK now. If he's fine with staying, then we don't need to address either fullbacks. We definitely need to address CB cover though. Shaw can tuck in for Martinez when needed and Malacia coming in, but we still need 4 CB's, and Maguire will surely leave. Bella kotchap and Lindelof being the 2 other CB's is good IMO.

De Gea definitely there is a lot of space to improve on, but that'll be a next year thing. We can be successful with him, but I'd get Diogo Costa in summer 2024 after getting the CM and the striker this summer, which are musts.

Erik the Red

Think there is possibility of us making Wout permanent if it works out,otherwise IF Chelsea don't sign him this window then see us picking Thuram up as free agent.
I'd say we ideally want three strikers to have enough for rotation and cover, and I would be happy with Kane, Moukoko and Wout. Although some may say that Martial is better than Wout and / or Moukoko, but the three issues with Martial are 1) his wages, 2) his acceptance of a substitute role, and 3) his reliability to be available and in reasonable form.

Bojan Djordjic

Just watching Lyon now and Malo Gusto's crossing is a sight to behold. Big Wout Weghorst would dine for years on what he's been sending in.

honirelandboy

Striker and central midfielder and I'd be fairly happy this summer. AWB was excellent today, wonder if The coaches are doing extra work with him. There is not too many strikers around but would take Oshimen and Enzo in midfield in the summer.

croadyman

I'd say we ideally want three strikers to have enough for rotation and cover, and I would be happy with Kane, Moukoko and Wout. Although some may say that Martial is better than Wout and / or Moukoko, but the three issues with Martial are 1) his wages, 2) his acceptance of a substitute role, and 3) his reliability to be available and in reasonable form.
Would you prefer Moukoko over Thuram then,also you are bang on about Martial not being a player we can rely on to stay fit

Bojan Djordjic

Can't keep saying it, but will anyway

JAMES WARD-PROWSE
Why do you keep saying it though? JWP is nowhere near United level. He could well be one of the greatest free kick takers of all time but he'd have to be on the pitch for us to benefit from that and that would not be a certainty given that he's a very pedestrian footballer. We need to upgrade Eriksen not add another McTominay to our squad.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Why do you keep saying it though? JWP is nowhere near United level. He could well be one of the greatest free kick takers of all time but he'd have to be on the pitch for us to benefit from that and that would not be a certainty given that he's a very pedestrian footballer. We need to upgrade Eriksen not add another McTominay to our squad.
Because this shows you don't watch him. He's a great squad option for rotation. You replace McTominay with him. Has so much more to his game. Fighting on four fronts every season

Red the Bear

Something less generic
  • Benzema to be CF
I think benzema will extend his contact, I think I've heard him say he wants to retire at Madrid.

Bojan Djordjic

Because this shows you don't watch him. He's a great squad option for rotation. You replace McTominay with him. Has so much more to his game. Fighting on four fronts every season
One thing we should have learned from the last ten years is that instead of buying squad options that will lower the overall level at the club we should try to buy players who can at least aspire to turn the current starters into strong squad options.

Andersons Dietician

I can’t help but watch us and think midfield could be improved upon. Someone like Enzo replacing Eriksen would be good but not at 120 mil and then someone who can drive the ball out from midfield. Bellingham for example. It just at the moment to me seems like it’s lacking something.

So really we could make do with one midfielder and then for sure a striker. I like Martial but I just don’t think he can get to and sustain the level required. I’ve no doubt the best version of Martial could do the job but he is so inconsistent and a pea under his mattress from missing months of football.

I‘ve always kind of been against the idea of Kane, but honestly at the right price he’d probably be a good signing until someone emerges to take the punt on. As of right now there only really seems to be Osimen or Vlahovic that fit the style and profile but I’m just not convinced that either are worth the outlay probably required to get either.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
As good as Benzema is, is he not another short term fix?
Doubt we would want Benzema — but I have no problem with a short term fix if they are good.

Like I much rather get 2 capable future core players and 2 stop gaps than 1 capable future core players and 3 long-term “solid” players. If that makes any sense. ;)

Murder on Zidane's Floor

One thing we should have learned from the last ten years is that instead of buying squad options that will lower the overall level at the club we should try to buy players who can at least aspire to turn the current starters into strong squad options.
It's not either or. He'd be a great addition

mswiss

If we finish the season with the squad in as good of shape as it is post this city win we could bring in a younger player to rotate in midfield and start talking some pressure off Erikson and Cas. Probably need a striker option as well, I really hope we don't overspend. It seems like we're getting smarter with our business

Dannn411

In order to be in a position to compete long-term we need to have two viable options in every position without a steep drop off in quality.

GK: Need another GK to challenge or even replace De Gea. Assume Henderson will be moved on.

RB: If AWB and Dalot can turn their recent good form into a consistent level, we are covered.

LB: If Shaw and Malacia can turn their recent good form into a consistent level, we are covered.

CB: Need 2 more outside Varane and Martinez Maguire, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof all have to go.

Midfield: Need 2 here as well. Options for both Casemiro and Fred. Eriksen is not a CM. I see him as the option for Bruno. Mctominay should be moved on.

CAM: We should be okay here with Bruno and Eriksen as cover. VDB should be sold.

LW: We're okay here.

RW: We're okay here. This assumes Antony starts playing well and Amad and Pellistri are more fully integrated into the first team next year.

CF: Need two signings here. Martial should be sold.

The most pressing needs:
An all-round long-term centre forward.
A central midfielder.
Centre backs.

The rest will have to be as we clear out the deadwood and make space in the squad.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
But who can we get in January?? :)

We are entering week 3. This is our schedule going forward if we beat Barca and go deep in the Europa League and beat Reading but then lose the QF in the FA Cup (definitely not impossible) (midweek/weekend):
Week 3 - Crystal / Arsenal
Week 4 - Nottingham / Reading
Week 5 - Nottingham / Crystal
Week 6 - BREAK / Leeds
Week 7 - Barca / Leicester
Week 8 - Barca / Carabo Final [?] [Brentford postponed if we make the final]
Week 9 - FA Cup 5th R / Liverpool
Week 10 - Europa League R16 / FA Cup QF [Southampton postponed if we beat Reading]
Week 11 - Europa League R16 / Brighton
Week 12 - INTERNATIONAL BREAK
Week 13 - INTERNATIONAL BREAK / Newcastle
Week 14 - [Brentford/Leeds/Southampton] / Everton
Week 15 - Europa League QF / Nottingham
Week 16 - Europa League QF / Chelsea
Week 17 - Tottenham / Villa
Week 18 - [Brentford/Leeds/Southampton] / West Ham (here we are into May already)
Week 19 - Europa League SF / Wolves
Week 20 - Europa League SF / Bournmouth
Week 21 - [Brentford/Leeds/Southampton] / Fulham
Week 22 - Break / Final Europa League
Summer

If we win in Round 5 of the FA Cup, get a replay in the QF, we must start to play games Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday/Thursday. Just to illustrate how ridiculous the schedule is, if we go to the Final of the FA Cup, we -- haha -- must play FOUR weeks of Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday/Thursday. And just for the fun of it, lets say two of the remaining four rounds in the FA cup go to replay -- that is SIX weeks of Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday/Thursday.

If we beat Barca but lose in the EL QF, we still won't have 6-7 days between games before May. If we lose against Barca, we would have 6-7 days between games like three times between now and May.

This is our depth right now:
Martial / Weghorst
Rash / Garnacho
Antony / Sancho / Elanga
Bruno /
Eriksen / Fred
Casemiro / McTominay
Shaw / Malacia
Martinez / Lindelof
Varane / Maguire
Dalot / AWB

The only players not mentioned are Brandon Williams, Pellestri, Iqbal, Mainoo and McNeil. And perhaps someone like Tuanzebe. Losing Donny is a big blow for us. I think he has been OK in Eriksen's role. If he would have had him available, he would have played a lot for us. But ultimately, it is simple logic, if you play a lot of games injuries increase exponentially. We saw that under the Covid period, injuries were up 42%. We should definitely expect to have 3-4 guys out more or less regularly during this spring. Chelsea currently have nine important players injured.

We need more depth in January!

This will become a crap show if we don't have any back-up for Bruno. And like, you need to be able to rotate -- even when players are injured. Like if one of our "starting XI" is injured for 4-6 weeks -- are the substitute for that player going to play every 3-4 days for a month? If we can't sign someone, I think we must look at recalling Diallo to be honest. I like Mainoo and Iqbal, but I don't think they are there yet. I love Mejbri, but I think ETH want to see more maturity from him on the ball. He is like a whirlwind. I hope ETH rates him as high as I do, but I would think that ETH sees that he needs a full season in the Championship and then a full pre-season with ETH playing the tour games regularly learning our system.

Honestly, I have been against recalling either Diallo or Mejbri. I have watched them a lot in the Championship and Mejbri is still raw, I think he has fantastic potential but he is still raw, and Diallo is just improving on a week by week basis -- he is at a fantastic place. But I think both would play a lot for us if we recall them now. That is how thin we are and how tough this schedule is.

Last edited:

Art

Art the artist
Get Osimhen for 120 mill and Matheus Nunes for about 50 odd million and get us line up something like

--------------------------------------Osimhen-------------------------------------

--------Rashford------------------Bruno--------------------Anthony-------

----------------------------Nunes-------------Casemiro------------------------

Shaw-------------------Licha------------Varane--------------Dalot-------------

---------------------------------------DDG-------------------------------------------------

No team will want to play that offense.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We need a central midfield playmaker with good close control and can regularly move/dribble past players. Someone like Bernardo Silva, Gundagon, Modrić, Mac Allister.

The Irish Connection

Osimhen for striker i think is the one.
For midfield, I’d love if we were still in for De Jong and he could be tempted.
Otherwise, Caicedo.

Erik the Red

Would you prefer Moukoko over Thuram then,also you are bang on about Martial not being a player we can rely on to stay fit
Definitely prefer Moukoko over Thuram. Thuram is 25, looks meh whenever he plays, and has a 1 in 3 record over the past four years in Germany's top flight. Moukoko is 18 (assuming he really is), and is scoring at the rate of 1 in 4, and he looks a real handful for defenders with good movement. Moukoko would probably demand lower wages, and we could always look to sell him on in couple of years if its not working, and a 20 year old Moukoko would make us decent money, whereas a 27 year old Thuram would be harder to shift.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Moises Caicedo. PL ready, 21 years old. Bought by Brighton for 5m, I guess we could get him for around 30 or something, no?
I watched him play before and I don’t think he’s ready yet. His passing range game is still limited. Defensively he’s very good though, looks physically strong and sometime can dribble. He will be perfect for Fred’s replacement on a current ability but I don’t think we need Fred’s replacement, what we need is a midfielder who can play in Eriksen’s role.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I watched him play before and I don’t think he’s ready yet. His passing range game is still limited. Defensively he’s very good though, looks physically strong and sometime can dribble. He will be perfect for Fred’s replacement on a current ability but I don’t think we need Fred’s replacement, what we need is a midfielder who can play in Eriksen’s role.
If he is the right player, the time might be now. Cover and he'll get plenty opportunities.

Blood Mage

A dynamic no.8 like Enzo Fernandez or Caicedo and a striker. Get rid of McTominay and Maguire.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he is the right player, the time might be now. Cover and he'll get plenty opportunities.
Midfield is priority but we need deep playmaker kind of midfield to play in Eriksen role not someone that plays in Casemiro or Fred’s or McTominay‘s role. Money is obviously limited considering we need to sign striker, deep playmaker, and May be even centre back or even right back. Caicedo would be ideal to replace Casemiro in the future but I think finding another player to play in Eriksen role is more important.

NoPace

I'm interested to see how Livaramento does when he omes back. Was always impressed when saw him in youth games and despite Chelsea having Reece James and other right backs, was surprised they let him go. Huge potential but been out a long time
Even with Chelsea having a buyback clause for 38M, I could absolutely see us keeping Wan-Bissaka for another year, Livramento doing well, and then us buying him for 40M or so.

Lux Thunder

What do you all think about Mateo Kovačić for the CM position ? He will enter the last year of his contract in the summer and he is currently considering his options.

Surely with us in CL next year and Chelsea possibly without continental football at all we could attract him. IMO he is one of the finest midfielders around when it comes to progressing the ball forward and his work out of possession is very good.

Been excellent at WC too. I would take him in a heartbeat for around £40m in the summer.

Nickosaur

Don't think the money will be there to make a big midfield signing AND a big forward signing.

Obvious midfield targets like Bellingham, Fernandez are too expensive. People talking about Caicedo too as if he's the value option, he will not leave Brighton for less than £70m. Who knows, perhaps de Jong will become available again but again, looking between £60-70m.

Tielemans has been a bit iffy over the years but if available on a free, I wonder if Ten Hag could get the best out of him.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Need players that fit the mould and mentality over names. Liverpool had a quite average midfield but they were hungry and worked hard.

We have Casemiro who is phenomenal, add one more piece who can take Eriksen's place imo and we can really dominate teams. I like Eriksen but we need another

Keep Fred, he's great, don't know why people dislike him so much. He's good at what he does and can shut down teams. He isn't a starter, appraise him as a squad player and you can see his use.

We need that lynchpin up top which will occupy defenders so they are disinclined to step up and press into our half for fear of being countered on. I really want Harry Kane and think it would just work with runners, like Bruno, Rashford and Antony flying past him as he drops into the ten space. The fact he's a phenomenal passer as well will help, and an amazing finisher, overkill.

Kag

Striker, a midfielder to compete with Eriksen, a centre half to be understudy for Varane and an attacking right back option to compete with Dalot.

That’s a lot of money, so get checking under the sofa.

We should be cashing in on the likes of Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Maguire and Van de Beek this summer.